What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

TOGETHER - Lukas Moodysson's tale of a 1970's commune that is turned upside down when the commune leader's sister and her two kids arrive after she grows tired of her husband's abuse. The cast played eccentric characters, such as the commune leader and his wife having an open marriage, one fellow who is into Marxism, and a divorced couple who bicker all the time with the ex-wife now considering herself a lesbian. It is very funny at times and yet dramatic at the same time. Michael Nyqvist, who starred in the original GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO and is the lead villain in Taylor Lautner's ABDUCTION plays the abusive husband who eventually sees the light of his errors and does anything to get his wife back.

ShaOW!linDude

THE SALTON SEA --- stars Val Kilmer, Vincent D'Onofrio, Adam Goldberg, Peter Skaarsgard.

I don't want to ruin this for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's funny. It's bloody. It's trippy. The plot has a nice twist. And it may take you a sec to recognize some of the actors in this when you initially see them as they play against a type you usually see them in. I recommend you dvr it or rent it for a viewing.

I'd forgotten how much I like Kilmer as an actor. This makes me want to watch SPARTAN again and if you've never seen that.......watch it first! (Not that these films have anything to do with each other.)

ShaOW!linDude

RACE --- a CGI sci-fi movie about interplanetary racers. Meh. The characters' movements were pretty blocky and not very smooth. But the races and segments set in outer space weren't too bad. But in truth, I'd encourage you not to waste your time on it.

GROWN UPS --- stars Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade, Rob Schneider, and a bunch of others. They play 5 schoolmates who get back together for a weekend after the death of their little league basketball coach. It's got some funny bits in it but none are really laugh out loud. Still, the snarky quips and jabs at one another are pretty good and they seemed to really gel on screen and have a good time with it. Definitely worth a rental.

THE ROOMMATE - Single White Female rip-off starring Gossip Girl's Leighton Meester as a psychotic girl who terrorizes those close to her college roommate, played by new Charlie's Angel Minka Kelly. Cam Gigandet plays Kelly's new boyfriend, who finds himself caught in the web of deception and let's just say during the finale, he has not lost a step since Never Back Down for one particular sequence.

ShaOW!linDude

THE ADDICTION --- stars Lili Taylor, Edie Falco, Christopher Walken, Annabella Sciorra

A 1997 film done entirely in b&w. LT is a philosophy major who gets bitten by a vampire (AS). The film is essentially about her delving gradually into bloodlust and eventually becoming caught up in its throes. You won't get any fangs but there's plenty of biting and I loved the end when she hosts a small gathering for her graduation. It was sort of reminiscent of "Night of the Living Dead".

I dvr'ed this and would watch it again at some point. Definitely worth recording or renting for a view.

masterofoneinchpunch

some comments on:

Hallelujah I’m A Bum (1933: Lewis Milestone) ***½/****

I had a few reasons for wanting to watch this. I wanted to see something of Harry Langdon’s post-silent career, I had never seen Al Jolson in a film (yes I should eventually see The Jazz Singer) and this is one of cinematic critic Jonathan Rosenbaum’s favorite films.

This film is somewhat a musical. It uses a rhythmic dialogue in its songs by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart that is preceded in their songs in Rouben Mamoulian’s Love Me Tonight (1932). This technique would later even be used in the first Three Stooges Columbian short “Woman Haters” (1934) -- a trend that did not take off. But for this film it works quite well especially since Jolson can do a variety of singing styles and non-singers like Langdon can work with this approach.

Al Jolson plays Bumper a Mayer among tramps and hobos. He is followed around by his friend Acorn (played by vaudevillian Edgar Connor who would unfortunately die the next year after this film was released) almost everywhere. Acorn’s use in this movie is quite unique. He is a black character that is not a stereotypical performance (for the most part) though is adroitly used as a sociological statement when both of them get jobs (guess which one of the two gets the desk job and who gets the janitorial job). Harry Langdon plays Egghead a Marxist spouting trash collector who is despised by the other bums because he works but Bumper seems to get along with everyone. He is even friends with the real Mayor of New York City (Frank Morgan).

All is well in Bumper’s life until he finds a 1000 dollar bill and, even worse, falls in love with an amnesiac woman who had just tried to commit suicide by jumping in a river (small mistake in filming, you can see in a distance the stuntman swimming to shore). Unbeknownst to him she was the love of the Mayor and they broke up after a misunderstanding involving that very same 1000 dollar bill. Bumper’s new found love makes him want to give up his ways as a bum and become a useful member of society by getting a job. How long will this last and will his new found love every regain her memory?

This film was a troubled production from the start resulting in a few different directors but eventually Lewis Milestone (All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)) took over. His direction and Lucien N. Andriot’s cinematography help create a dynamic environment and quite a unique look to the film.

This is quite a unique 1930s film that tackles several sociological issues of its time with The Great Depression in the forefront. I think this is a must see for fans of 1930s cinema.

LITTLE FOCKERS - The third installment of the Focker/Byrnes saga had its moments, but I would agree that the age-old rivalry between Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller had begun to somewhat tire out. However, one word has now entered my vocab from this film: Godfocker! Plus it's nice to see Owen Wilson's Kevin get more screen time in this one.

THE RESIDENT - Hilary Swank stars as an ER doctor who moves to NYC and finds an apartment run by a not-so-normal landlord, played by WATCHMEN's Jeffrey Dean Morgan. When Swank reunites with her ex-boyfriend, Morgan begins to go off the deep end and becomes obsessed with making Swank his. Very creepy at times and I was even surprised to hear about this film.

ShaOW!linDude

GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD KNIGHTS

Another solid entry from WB/DC animation. The story is about an impending emergence of a malevolent being which all Green Lanterns are called in to help destroy. A rookie is told 5 stories about certain GL members' feats. The 3rd one contains the best animated MA I've seen hands down.

Dragons Fury

watched the defenders today , a tv show about lawyers in las vegas , interesting show , also watched the chicago code and fringe yesterday brilliant shows

Enjoyed a movie filled weekend with the wife:

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (2010 reboot) - I actually liked it. While there was that over the top gore at times, the film also paid some nice homages to the original film. Jackie Earle Haley I thought made a very good Freddy Krueger. He combined some of the original style of Robert Englund's Freddy with a tenacity of his own, plus he really looked like a burn victim here.

RIVER OF DARKNESS (2010) - This was a very cheesy horror film which I rented because if you all don't know, I love sports entertainment or pro wrestling and this one had Kurt Angle, Kevin Nash, Ray "Glacier" Lloyd, and Psycho Sid Vicious. The film was shot on video and some of the effects were cheesy. The only redeeming factor was the very end, when a nice twist was revealed.

GULLIVER'S TRAVELS (2010) - I thought I wasn't going to like this version with Jack Black. However, there were some parts that were actually funny. I rented it and that's all it is worth.

GROWN UPS (2010) - Sandler. James. Rock. Spade. Schneider. I loved it! I was cracking up during Rob Schneider's take on Ave Maria during the funeral scene and it had some light heartened moments, but there were also Sandler-like humor that mixed in very well.

DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS (2010) - All hail Steve Carell! LOL. He was so funny in this movie. His best scene is when he finally gets the gall to confront Zach Galifinakis in the dinner scene.

THE LOSERS (2010) - I enjoyed it. Nice adaptation of the comic book with Jeffrey Dean Morgan taking lead as the leader of a covert Ops team double crossed and presumed dead. Chris Evans and Columbus Short were like the bickering married couple but to good effect and Zoe Saldana kicked ass as the woman who hires the team 4 months after their double cross. Jason Patric brought a true smartass performance as the villain of the film.

ShaOW!linDude

THE VILLAGE BARBERSHOP --- stars John Ratzenberger, Shelly Cole.

JR ("Cliff" of tv show "Cheers") is an over the hill barber whose partner dies. SC is a young woman who discovers she's knocked up by her no-good trucker of a boyfriend. She needs a job and he needs someone to straighten his business out 'cause he's in serious debt. The movie was quite sweet and enjoyable. I really like her character and Ratzenberger gives a really good performance. My favorite bits were the things he did to antagonize his landlord. It's worth dvr'ing or a rental.

CATWOMAN --- stars Halle Berry, Benjamin Bratt, Sharon Stone.

Not the best rendition of this character in the world. Most people absolutely hate it. I don't mind it so much. It's a passable plot. The acting isn't too cheesy. HB plays the character Patience Phillips as kind of mousy until she becomes the Catwoman, a nice dichotomy I thought. Most of the f/x aren't too bad.....but some are. I like the fact that the character's fighting style seems based on Capoeira which I think is suitable. It's your call.

Son Of A Gun

Happy Times (2000) Zhang Yimou directed.

Brilliant light hearted drama which turned into pure drama. Zhang Yimou has never disappointed. I don't know how he does it.

ShaOW!linDude

KNIGHT AND DAY ---- stars Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz, Peter Skaargard.

Cruise plays a rogue CIA operative and Diaz a woman who gets caught up in the hunt for him. I read alot of mix reviews when this first hit theaters but I've got to say......I enjoyed it. Cruise is a good actor and he will crack you up with his line delivery at times. He also can sell a fight and this movie starts off with one of the best fights aboard an airplane I've seen in a long time. A definite dvr or rental.

ADVENTURELAND --- stars Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Ryan Reynolds.

Set in 1987, Eisenberg is a young man who takes a summer job at a carnival. The movie's not too bad. I like JE. He's a good actor and his offhanded, dry wit tickle me. KS plays her typical "convoluted young girl" character. RR does a great turn as a maintenance man who's a bit of a cad. The supporting cast really makes this movie. Rent or dvr.

WAKE OF DEATH --- stars Jean Claude Van Damme, Simon Yam.

I know lots of folks who love this movie. I view it as an utter disappointment. The little bit of MA in it is so quick cut and chopped up it's awful. The Chinese stuntmen get to strut their stuff which JCVD can't keep up with so why bother? SY is great as the villain and there's even footage of him performing some tai chi giving the impression his character could be a good fighter. What do we get at the end? A gun face-off. Sux. I'd seen this years before but never bought it. I dvr'ed it. Glad I did. It reminded me never to fool with wasting my $ on the dvd.

hey guys, i had the pleasure of watching A TRUE CINEMATIC MARVEL last nite that i wanna share with you:

the 2010 japanese cgi-animated motion picture that goes by the name of

Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror

http://www.the-other-view.com/oblivion-island.html

that was cinema at its best, a great adventure flick that should appeal to all ages, colours and whatnot.

think elements of alice in wonderland, toy story, spirited away, conventional but beloved classic themes of cinema & a whole bunch of new inventive ideas mashed into one beautiful experience.

movies like this one warrant the money (and space on the living room wall) to invest in your own private home theater equipment.

if you re not a complete chicken, u wont even follow the link or read up on it otherwise, but order right away so u can enjoy without any spoiling whatsoever :yociexp102:

Watched movies over the past four weeks:

The Godfather: Part 2 (1974)

Continues the closing events in the original while being sort of a prequel to that movie in that a back-story of Don Corleone is shown in parallel to his son taking over the business during the late 50s. As the plot develops, we get shown of differences in both's work ethics and principles as Dons and what it means to run a "family" and that anything can happen working in that "business". While the storytelling can be a bit tricky and the fact that the movie is too long I think it works because we now grasp a full understanding of the first Don and we get to see how far things are getting complicated when his son is in his position. Legendary sequel! Rating: 5/5

Rear Window (1954)

Hitchcock gets to re-use the idea of a plot taking place in one single place (a small apartment), that was brilliantly pulled off in Rope, and expands on that here by letting the viewers see the lead actor observe all the activities outside of the window of this very place. Very influential filmmaking that still holds today and a top-notch production (for its' time) in its' entirety. The suspense is infinite and just gets better in time. Lovely stuff. Rating: 5/5

Dial M for Murder (1954)

Hitchcock goes for the perfect murder in this tale of a staged murder and messed up crime scene. Sounds classical and it's exactly what the movie is which couldn't have been better despite its' at times confusing plot points (of a very simple plot). Hitchcock is on top form once again. Rating: 5/5

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Not really a movie I would say represents Hitchcock's style the best. Feels more like an adventure movie and loud compared to his other movies. Touches are there alright but toned down for what seems to be for commercialized reasons. Still, this was an enjoyable ride where the story is taken to several fascinating places in a tale about kidnapping and assassination attempts. Another thing that I noticed was how much Hitchcock's movies had changed by then where the actors didn't look nowhere as if they acted in a stage play like in earlier movies which all over the place but performed more naturally with expressions and delivering lines.Rating: 3/5

Shaolin (2011)

Benny Chan finally got one right for once. Despite the whole melodramatic tone, some awkward moments that is too laughable and OTT performances from some people like Nic Tse, the story manages to develop itself with actual meaning thanks to Andy Lau - as a power-hungry warlord turned peaceful monk - and get across the point of the relevant themes of war, brotherhood and dominance of the movie effectively without Chan's usual bad tricks getting in the way too much of the time. Jackie (funny as always), Wu Jing and Yu Hai lend their decency in acting and turn into likable characters but if you want to see a show-runner, it's Andy Lau. The action (though employing a bit of heavy wirework in every action set-piece) was pretty good, choreographed by Corey Yuen Kwai, Yuen Tak and a bit of assistance by Nicky Li. Xing Yu gets a good amount of action (and dies as usual but not until the ending) which I really liked, Wu Jing gets some good fights too as does Andy Lau, Jackie and Xiong Xin-Xin (his big moment comes in the end). Rating: 3.5/5

X-Men (2000)

As usual with comic-book adaptations, this movie leaves very littles as far as delving into characters that has a long history in the original comics and instead alternates a different way of bringing everyone into a different story. Wolverine gets the most development here so you gotta start somewhere but it's really nothing more than an intro movie of familiar faces in the comics. It's however is one of the better adaptations in my opinion. Cool characters, nice subplots and good action (by Corey Yuen). Dialogue scenes (apart from those of Xavier and Magneto) could be more emphasized and conveniently delivered though, and that CGI usage more polished because it doesn't look too good and brings out the worst feel whenever it's evident. Rating: 3.5/5

X2 (2003)

I don't know whether people rate this higher or lower than the first movie but I personally think it's superior in every way. It's more serious and dramatic, heavier in dialogue, more involving storyline, better action (props to whoever was responsible for the action!) and, the addition of Nightcrawler, Lady Deathstrike and William Striker. Those three new characters in fact gives the story its' big boost pretty much taking the icing of the cake for me, and therefore resulting the best movie in the franchise so far. Rating: 4.5/5

Strangers on a Train (1951)

This is a perfect example of film noir in top form. Use of black-and-white color, remarkable cinematography, slow style of filming, coincidental and unusual character development, murder, mysteries, motives etc. It was such a pleasure seeing things come to together in such a moody way. The story starts out to the point of being contrived but when it progresses the feeling is no longer irrelevant and the quirkiness Hitchcock was so good at becomes the drive of the movie. Maybe one dig more into the antagonist's background would've made for a bit clearer conclusion but nonetheless the result is one of Hitchcock's better movies during his peak period. Rating: 4/5

Spooky, Spooky (1988)

A movie that you don't hear much about. To put it short, it's directed by Sammo, stars Alfred Cheung (director of On The Run), Wu Ma, Joyce Godenzy, Chung Faat, Richard Ng and continues the spooky comedy subgenre but set in a contemporary setting. The story itself takes references from some famous movies (like Jaws, The Ghost Busters, and Killer Klowns From Outer Space (?)). The result is a mix of usual routines and very amusing and original moments that defines the genre. The last 20 min is pure spooky entertainment that has you reminiscing the finales of Encounter Of The Spooky Kind and Mr Vampire in a great way. Rating: 3.5/5

The Blade (1995)

It's also seldom you see wuxia movies - a unusual and unique combination of complex storytelling and intensely fast-paced action choreography - being achieved often. The Blade marks what I would call the best movie done by Tsui Hark, starring Vincent Zhao, and featuring Xiong Xin-Xin in a movie to date. They may have done movies good enough for their talents to be fulfilled but neither were in top form as they are here. On top of that, Hark was also able to create a new style of action; with wobbly camerawork, odd editing and undercranking choices that still fits altogether in an artsy sense of way. That, and with correlation with everything else which made it a classic it is now. Rating: 5/5

Dangerous Encounter - 1st Kind (1980)

Known for its' controversial content (mainly reflecting the past horror of Hong Kong in the late 60s). It basically exploits the craziness and outrageousness of youths that are aware of their social problems and want to take it out on the society as whole by doing all sort of bad things and give bad consequences. I really admire the style here, which is far away from the standard archetype of Hong Kong film-making. I could trace some French and Japanese (perhaps American too) in there resulting a creepy feel to the story. Altogether, it's material you aren't too used to but it works. Good experimenting by Tsui Hark - making his third outing with this movie - who already showed great potentials as a filmmaker. Rating: 4/5

ShaOW!linDude

THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE --- stars Nicolas Cage, Jay Baruchel, Alfred Molina, Monica Bellucci.

I kind of wanted to see this in the theaters but didn't. I dvr'ed it last week. It's a good movie. The f/x were great. The story was good. Cage really doesn't have any "look, I'm acting all crazy" scenes (which some folks hate but I kind of like). He plays a good 'mentor' role here. I like Baruchel. There's a quality to his voice that could be grating (kind of nasally) but I don't find it so. I guess it has to do with how he delivers his lines. He plays a good "Sad Sack" and he tickles me at times. And Molina.....what can I say? A pleasure as always to watch him chew the scenery while being all dapper and evil. There's some good action in this and quite a few rounds of fisticuffs thrown in the Cage/Molina magical skirmishes. I say.....dvr or rent.

THE LOST BOYS - I still love this vampire film, almost nearly 25 years later. Kiefer Sutherland is great as the mullet sporting vampire punk boy who initiates Jason Patric in his gang. The Two Coreys were at times funny but the climax is definitely the best part of the film IMO.

LOST BOYS: THE THIRST - The latest installment of the LB series (couldn't find The Tribe anywhere near me, so I went ahead and got this one) was not too bad for what it was. Only ran 75 minutes and involved Corey Feldman's Edgar Frog being hired to stop a vampiric DJ from creating an army of vampires through a "drug" called The Thirst. I laughed at Feldman throughout the film though as he spent most of the film grimacing and grunting "Hmm".

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN - I actually liked this film, not only for the over the top action scenes, but Sandler's premise of counterintelligence agent wanting to be a hair stylist kind of was too funny and Michael Buffer was funny at times as the real villain of the film.

THE WOMEN - The 2008 remake of the 1939 film (itself based on a popular 1936 play) was not too bad for what it was. They modernized the film, but it was done old school...no men in the cast, some of the classic lines still intact ("There's a name for women, but it's rarely used in a kennel) and Debra Messing's expressions reminded me a lot of the character played by Phyllis Povah. The big change was Jada Pinkett Smith's character was a lesbian and was hysterical in the final scene of the film. Not too bad for what it was.

watched the defenders today , a tv show about lawyers in las vegas , interesting show , also watched the chicago code and fringe yesterday brilliant shows

I loved The Defenders and Chicago Code. Too bad they got canned after their 1st season. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Went to see this last Friday not really knowing what to expect as I had never read this comic as a kid/teenager. I loved it! A good mix of sci-fi. action and humor. Cutie Blake Lively is hot! :tongue: An entertaining movie.

I'v been watching Jackie Chan movies mostly . Been wanting to see the new Green Hornet

movie, but i'm not sure if its any good. Most of the reviews I have read have not been

favorable to it. Can anyone that saw it tell me what you think of it?

Just finished watching Dante Lam’s wickedly funny gangster spoof JIANG HU, THE TRIAD ZONE. The Blu Ray comes courtesy of, yes! – Kam & Ronson… and is actually pretty good – image sharpness is quite satisfying, good color saturation, picture appears minimally cropped though. Subs are identical to the old Mei Ah DVD (which wasn’t so bad for the time, think it dropped a good 10 years ago). Anyhow, PQ of the BD is a substantial improvement to the DVD.

Okay, so as of late my wife had had us watch vampire movies because she is a True Blood fan and season 4 began Sunday night, so I got even with her this weekend.

I made her watch all 5 KICKBOXER movies with me LOL (I have the Lionsgate DVD box set)

Every morning for the past 3 days, I ended up watching a Chinese movie when I got up.

Sunday: RIVALS OF THE SILVER FOX (Casanova Wong, Philip Ko, Chan Siu-Pang)

Monday: RETURN OF THE SCORPION (aka DUEL OF THE SEVEN TIGERS) (Cliff Lok, Sharon Yeung, excellent cameo from Casanova)

Today: WHEN FORTUNE SMILES (Stephen Chow, Sandra Ng, Anthony Wong)