What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

ShaOW!linDude

Me, the Mrs., and the kids just watched Pixar's "Mater's Tall Tales".

Disney runs them as filler in between shows on their tv channel. There were some on there I hadn't seen before. They're all pretty good.

"If I'm lyin', I'm cryin'."

GRAN TORINO - Clint Eastwood's final acting performance and one of his best, as a racist ex-Korean War vet who ends up changing not only the life of a young Hmong teen who is constantly pressured to join his cousin's gang, but his own as well.

Had a John Waters Triple Bill too

HAIRSPRAY - the original 1988 film which I think is way better than the 2007 musical remake. Waters was great in his cameo as the crazy psychiatrist.

CRY BABY - Johnny Depp's 1950s juvenile delinquent, known as "drape" falling for "square" to rockabilly music, fast cars, and one of the funniest scenes involves Cry Baby's buddy "Hatchet Face" busting through a prison screening of a movie and the prisoners freaking out.

SERIAL MOM - Kathleen Turner in an over the top (only as Waters would have wanted it) performance as a suburban housewife who is also a serial killer when she sees so much as a little inkling of immorality. Very funny satire of suburban life in Baltimore.

GRAN TORINO - Clint Eastwood's final acting performance and one of his best, as a racist ex-Korean War vet who ends up changing not only the life of a young Hmong teen who is constantly pressured to join his cousin's gang, but his own as well.

Had a John Waters Triple Bill too

HAIRSPRAY - the original 1988 film which I think is way better than the 2007 musical remake. Waters was great in his cameo as the crazy psychiatrist.

CRY BABY - Johnny Depp's 1950s juvenile delinquent, known as "drape" falling for "square" to rockabilly music, fast cars, and one of the funniest scenes involves Cry Baby's buddy "Hatchet Face" busting through a prison screening of a movie and the prisoners freaking out.

SERIAL MOM - Kathleen Turner in an over the top (only as Waters would have wanted it) performance as a suburban housewife who is also a serial killer when she sees so much as a little inkling of immorality. Very funny satire of suburban life in Baltimore.

Gotta agree with u on Gran Torino, Clint Eastwood 5*****.

Insomnia has been keeping me up a LOT lately. Luckily last night AMC had the hook up...all 3 Back to the Futures (on every night this week), followed by Roadhouse (so cheesy, it's fun), and then Spaceballs.

THE TOWN Affelck was the bomb in PHANTOMS yo! Here he acts and directs an entertaining heist drama. Now I know what happened to the characters after Will Hunting left town.

ShaOW!linDude

MERANTAU (Blu-ray)

Loaded with extras including 3 deleted scenes one of which is a fight sequence. Why this was edited out baffles me. It's short and sweet but is absolutely beautiful and should've been left in.

ShaOW!linDude

A couple of nights ago me and the Mrs. watched WHITEOUT starring Kate Beckinsale and Tom Skerritt. Not a bad movie. The plot had an ironically interesting twist, I thought. Don't know that I'd watch it again but it's worth a view. (I DVRed it.)

Drunken Monk

The Town - Great film but I set myself up for disappointment because I thought it was going to be even superior than it was. It's a fantastically directed and acted cops and robbers movie though. Recommended.

Restrepo - Maybe my favourite movie of 2010. If not, it's a red hot contender. It's a documentary following a troop of US soldiers posted in one of the most dangerous places in Afghanistan. It's an incredible roller coaster of emotion. Wonderful film making.

Supernatural - I'm towards the end of this show's first season. I didn't know what to expect but I've been genuinely impressed. It's fun, very scary in places and has a nice plot line running throughout. It's like a non-ironic Buffy.

Restrepo - Maybe my favourite movie of 2010. If not, it's a red hot contender. It's a documentary following a troop of US soldiers posted in one of the most dangerous places in Afghanistan. It's an incredible roller coaster of emotion. Wonderful film making.

I'm interested in this one, too. Armadillo was perhaps my favorite film of 2010, and I heard Restrepo is similar. Although I do wonder if it can top Armadillo...

THE SOCIAL NETWORK Really engaging movie about a**holes.

TAI CHI BOXER aka TAI CHI 2 Rewatch with the Bey Logan commentary. I forgot how much wirework was in the movie. Cool early Wu Jing role.

DeathFuMaster

I just got done with the first season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and I've started the second one. Fun to relive old memories.

I have also been going through the Fight Dragon series.

ShaOW!linDude
I have also been going through the Fight Dragon series.

How is that so far? Toyed with thought of getting that at some point.

DeathFuMaster
How is that so far? Toyed with thought of getting that at some point.

For something that cost me around 6 bucks shipped when I bought it, its awesome. The actual story and stuff is nothing special, but it has Kurata in it. And his fights are well worth the price of admission. It is getting more and more interesting as it goes on though. The actual quality is actually good in my opinion and the subs are great and easy to read.

If you want some other opinions, check out this thread:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11025

and also towards the end of this thread:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9966

Been a busy week at work as we prepare for classes beginning tomorrow, so I'm a little on major overload of relaxing by watching movies.

THE PRIVATE EYES - The Hui Brothers' classic film revolving around a detective agency. Best known perhaps for its kitchen fight scene between Michael Hui and a suspected robber. The fight was choreographed by Sammo Hung. Sam Hui even does a little fighting in it (he was a one-time student of Bruce Lee).

SECURITY UNLIMITED - Another Hui Brothers classic film with Michael, Sam, and Ricky playing a trio of bumbling security guards trying to stop a robbery.

ACROSS THE RIVER - one of Chang Cheh's last films...was not bad, but could have been better. Revolves around an opera troupe who take on an oppressive government in 1936 China. The film's star and fight choreographer, Baby Venom Dong Zhi-Hua, would later play Donut, the funny noodle maker and staff expert in KUNG FU HUSTLE.

STREET SOLDIERS - this is a guilty pleasure for me. Already reviewed it here on the main page.

THE WASH - Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg in a Friday-style film about two best friends who get jobs at the local car wash and deal with disgruntled ex-employees, kidnappers, and each other. Typical urban comedy.

ARCHIE: TO RIVERDALE AND BACK - As a kid, I read a lot of Archie comics and I saw this movie, which is about Archie and his friends reuniting for a high school reunion and end up having to save Pops, the ice cream store owner, from losing his business. Had its moments and featured Lauren Holly (Linda from DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY) as Betty. Not bad for a TV-movie made in 1990.

THE FEARLESS HYENA - Jackie Chan's directorial debut. I showed it to my 4-year old daughter (I was her age when I got started on kung fu films) and she absolutely loves it. She loves the funny scenes, especially Jackie forced to do a handstand and the chopstick fight scene with Chen Hui-Lou, which seemed to have an influence in KUNG FU PANDA.

THE SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE - Another guilty pleasure. Cheech Marin in Australia and with a chance to be part owner of a Mexican restaurant, he is offered the money to act as a spoiled woman's fiancee. Of course, we all know what happens then, but it is funny at times IMO.

ShaOW!linDude

I watched KUNG FU PANDA......finally. (We had a family movie night.)

I liked it though the ferocity of some of the fights freaked out my oldest daughter a little bit. And she's so tenderhearted anytime she even thinks someone dies, she gets upset.

Looking forward to the sequel.

Watched THE MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS (still want to see CUB TIGER FROM KWANGTUNG) and THE YOUNG MASTER, both with Jackie Chan.

My 4-year old daughter is now officially a Jackie Chan fan. She loves the comic bits in YOUNG MASTER. She was laughing so hard with Chan's super slow-mo shot of his punching Hwang In-Shik, exclaiming that he beat him only to get the wind knocked out of him by Hwang's kick.

ShaOW!linDude

CIRCUS KIDS --- Yuen Biao, Donnie Yen

HIGH VOLTAGE --- Donnie Yen

See "My Many MiniReviews"

Also:

EDGE OF DARKNESS ---- Mel Gibson (I liked it but it was not "Taken".)

BOOK OF ELI ---- Denzel Washington (Well, I'm about to watch it. Just got to tuck the kids in.)