What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

I just watched Shaolin Soccer again,hadnt seen it for ages,still rather funny lol.

i must re-watch soon too, awesome film, me too not watched in ages

Fang Shih-yu

I've watched through the whole of Three Outlaw Samurai (1964), the film debut of Japanese director Hideo Gosha; this is the movie that Chang Cheh would remake as The Magnificent Trio (1966). Panorama's Region 3 release is letter-boxed, but the picture is non-anamorphic; this doen't hinder enjoyment of the decent b&w picture, though. As noted elsewhere, the timing on the English subs is sometimes erratic, but it is fairly easy to live with. It's amazing to have found out TOS had its origins in a Japanese television program Gosha worked on; yes, this fascinating, moody movie is an adaptation of a TV show! (In your face, The A-Team!) Contrary to Mark Pollard's TMT review, Chang Cheh was not altogether faithful to Gosha's film, as the plot goes. In fact, a lot of Gosha's work here evokes ideas other than "heroic bloodshed"; if you've seen (or ever get the chance to see) both, it is interesting to pick out the similarities and differences between the two! TOS's b&w photography is rich, the performances are vibrant, and like the action, the music is not laid on too thick.... A stunning achievement from Gosha, and it's all done with four less samurai than in that "Kurosawa film" everyone keeps blabbing about!:tongue:

BEAUTY ON DUTY was a silly WOng Jing remake of MISS CONGENIALITY, but for some reason I really enjoyed it. Charlene Choi and Fan Siu Wong have a few fun fight scenes. She even professes to study Wing Chun and Fan Siu Wong's character name is Donnie Yuen. :tongue:

masterofoneinchpunch
I watched Batman returns last night and it reminded how lame it is compared to Batman begins. The movie has good characters and actors, but suffers from junk story, lame action sequences, and bad script. The soundtrack is by Dan Elfman which means it's above average, and I know they could of made a better movie but hollywood will be hollywood. I do like how Batman kills a few of the henchmen in this one unlike Dark night where he seems so worried about killing bad guys.

I'm going to have to completely disagree with this. Batman Returns has its problems, but being Hollywood is not even close to one of them. The aesthetics to this film is so much Tim Burton's that it is hard to imagine this being a Hollywood film. Danny Devito's antagonist is an atrocious, ugly, vile little creature whose demeanor fits well into the oeuvre of Burton, but is not synonymous to the villains of that era in Hollywood production.

I know this is not one of fanboys favorite films but I do feel that this film is a bit underrated if taken as a warped delusion of Gothic clown comic Burtonesque caper. I feel it is far from lame and is brilliant in set design, soundtrack, quasi good-guy Keaton-lead Batman, multi-villians (that would be overdone later) and far better than the two that would proceed it.

BATMAN:UNDER THE RED HOOD is the new Warner Brothers DC animated feature and it is one of the most exciting things I have seen in a while. it doesn't hurt that I am a huge Batman fan either. There are a few liberties taken with the script, but I found the design of the characters and the actors used made this film a welcome addition to the Batman film library.

ONCE WERE WARRIORS - never got to see this when it first came out, but this was an awesome movie from New Zealand. Rena Owen was great as the strong-willed wife who was getting closer and closer to leaving her brute of a husband, played to perfection by Temeura Morrison.

PAPA LOVES YOU - I thought it was funny. It's a HK movie starring Tony Leung Ka-Fai as the overprotective dad of Charlene Choi. When he is mistaken for a gangster, he plays along in hopes to get his daughter's respect until real trouble churns out.

THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE - Yes, I did see it but only because I saw the first two with the wife..she's a big Twi-hard fan. Loved the battle between the Cullens/Wolf Pack alliance against the Newborns. Learned that 87Eleven's Jonathan Eusebio was the stunt coordinator this time around.

FIST FROM SHAOLIN

Another in the Wong Fei Hung series, like OUATIC that features almost no actual Southern fist kung fu. I liked the movie anyway.

Watched Michelle Yeoh's Wing Chun for the first time,my god what a good film haha,funny aswell. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Megazone 23 Part 1 -80s-tastic sci-fi anime OVA with some impressive animation. If you liked The Matrix, maybe you'll like a show that it owes a great deal to as well.

OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER

How the hell did I go this long without watching this one?!! Ti Lung, Chen Kwan Tai, Lee hoi San, and Kao Fei all in one. Great movie and even better when you watch it at work.:wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER

How the hell did I go this long without watching this one?!! Ti Lung, Chen Kwan Tai, Lee hoi San, and Kao Fei all in one. Great movie and even better when you watch it at work.:wink:

I hope you're not an air traffic controller bro? :smile:

I have been on a Japanese and Hong Kong action kick. City on fire, Young and Dangerous and Fulltime Killer on the Chinese side and Audition, Versus, Dead or Alive and Ichi the Killer for Japanese.

No offense to anyone Japanese, but you guys have some very sick directors coming out of your country. I personally can handle almost anything but I turned off Ichi the Killer.

I did think Audition was a good movie, very slow but good. And Dead or Alive has to be one of the most overated films I have ever seen. From the reviews I read before I watched it you would think Takishi Miike is the 2nd coming of John Woo on crack. IMO he is a B movie director that uses cheap camera tricks and fake looking over the top shocking images to make his movies intersting.

If anyone of you are fans of his I respect that. I am not trying to be a hater. I just think he is very overated and I dont personally care for his work although Audition was a good movie.

I dont mind violence, however when the story or director is so weak that he has to use it as a cruch is when I become offended as a viewer.

Miike is certainly not for the general viewer,I myself am a huge fan of his stuff. He does tend to push his viewers to the extreme..Dead or alive ill admit was more for the sake of extremities then any major cinematic brilliance but i enjoyed it nonetheless. Audition was great as was the extremely disturbing but strangely touching Visitor Q. His work is definately for those looking for deliberately shocking films as opposed to those of any cinematic merit. Also worth noting if you are not a fan of miikes films,best to avoid Noboru Iguchi's & Yoshihiro Nishimura's films as well. Peace.

LEGEND OF THE TWIN DRAGONS was a poorly edited together movie made up of episodes of the TV series WING CHUN. Nicholas Tse looked really weak performing Wing Chun, but Sammo and Yuen Baio still looked good.

brookman3325

shaolin drunkard

seven grand masters

eagles claw

all really great films though i preferred shaolin drunkard and seven grand masters

BLACKBELT JONES Jim Kelly made this movie fun.

HOT POTATO Jim Kelly was cool ,but even he couldn't make this film enjoyable. I did see Eric Tsang, Meng Hoi, and Lam Ching Ying as stuntmen in it though.

BROKEN PATH was an okay movie showcasing the skills of Johnny Yong Bosh, but was waaaay over the top in speed, sound effects, and excessive flipping. I did enjoy it though.

Just finished watching Ryuhei Kitamura's samurai film "Aragami".

It's a nice little gem i picked up in a box set a while back. It's only a small cast of 3 people and a temple,but if you can sit through not much happening for the first hour you will be well rewarded with a corker of a fight scene and epic ending. I really hope there is a sequel in the works.

masterofoneinchpunch

Nothing But The Truth (1941: Elliot Nugent) ***/****:

Bob Hope stars as Steve Bennett a newly hired stockbroker who has been caught in the sticky position of trying to double the money his boss’s niece Gwen (the third collaboration with Paulette Goddard and Bob Hope) lent him by getting into a bet unknowingly to her with the boss (Edward Arnold) and two other coworkers where he has to say the truth for 24 hours and cannot divulge the nature of the bet. This leads those three into inviting him for a houseboat weekend getaway where they do there best to cajole him into precarious positions.

Funnier than I expected, but it is awfully familiar territory for this screwball comedy. Hope is at his best when he warps his truthful linguistics into comedic gags, but sometimes it runs a bit long. Willie Best is funny, but a bit exploited and not used as well as in The Ghost Breakers but still has some great lines.

Released for the first time in the Bob Hope: Thanks for the Memories Collection it is a welcome addition to any fan of Bob Hope. While this movie seems like it was influential to Liar, Liar it was also a remake that had been filmed twice before in 1920 and 1929.

Also just watched Beyond Hypothermia (thinking about doing a write up on that one) and The Lost Patrol (interesting seeing Boris Karloff in a John Ford film).

Omni Dragon
just watchted the One-armed Swordman with my Mum:bigsmile:

Managed to get my sister to watch this one now, first Shaw Brothers she's seen as well :)

DRUNKEN ARTS AND CRIPPLED FIST

KUNG FU CHEFS

DRUNKEN ARTS AND CRIPPLED FIST Li Yi Min does his best Jackie Chan impersonation, but it doubled for most of the final fight.

KUNG FU CHEFS Sammo and Fan Siu Wong make this a fun but silly movie . Bruce Leung is in it too.