What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Posted (edited)

Ricochet (1991) - 8/10

Passenger 57 (1992) - 8/10

Demolition Man (1993) - 8.5/10

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)

Starve Acre (2023) - "An idyllic rural family life of a couple is thrown into turmoil when their son starts acting out of character."

Damn dull and boring flick. No scares at all! Matt smith is annoying.

Absurd (1981) - "A priest-doctor chasing a man with supernatural regenerative abilities, who has recently escaped from a medical lab, reaches a small town where the mutant goes on a killing spree."

Cheesy 80s horror flick which I didn't hate and was silly fun.

A Quiet Place: Day One (2024) - "A young woman named Sam finds herself trapped in New York City during the early stages of an invasion by alien creatures with ultra-sensitive hearing."

These films need to stay quiet. Meh.

An Open Secret (2014) - "An investigation into accusations of teenagers being sexually abused within the film industry."

Sad insight into the abuse in the film industry and how kids and their families get damaged by it. There was one scene where Corey Feldman was on a talk show (maybe the View) and was talking about his experiences to which that cunt Barbra Walters says to Corey Feldmen - 'You're damaging an entire industry.'. Silly bint! @49s.

Edited by PandaPawPaw

sifu iron perm
On 8/14/2023 at 6:05 PM, AlbertV said:

I've seen this one plenty of times..."Father Guus. It's Dutch" and when Tracy Dali's top accidentally opens, her dad Burt Ward's reaction as if he was still Robin from Batman.. Been a while but will need to revisit this one. Richard Gabai also directed the controversial Teen Boxer aka Kickboxing Academy in 1997. 

the film also features an actor named Christopher Khayman Lee. He is the love interest of Chyler Leigh's character, and they share a passionate kissing scene. Christopher Khayman Lee is the real life brother of Chyler Leigh (despite the difference in name spelling).

WTF? 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

the film also features an actor named Christopher Khayman Lee. He is the love interest of Chyler Leigh's character, and they share a passionate kissing scene. Christopher Khayman Lee is the real life brother of Chyler Leigh (despite the difference in name spelling).

WTF? 

Christopher Khayman Lee is also known as Andros, the Red Power Ranger in Power Rangers in Space

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

Undocumented (2010) - "A documentary crew accompany a group of illegal immigrants crossing the Border, but their plans run afoul when they are captured by a gang of sadistic radicals in New Mexico."

This wasn't so bad but it would of been better if they had some else in Peter Stormare's role as his voice is too distinctive making his character feel very familiar.

MaXXXine (2024) - "In 1980s Hollywood, adult film star and aspiring actress Maxine Minx finally gets her big break. But as a mysterious killer stalks the starlets of Hollywood, a trail of blood threatens to reveal her sinister past."

Not very good at all and largely boring. Bored of Mia Goth and find her irritating now.

The Wanderers (1979) - "The Wanderers is a teenage, Italian gang in Bronx, NYC, 1963. They have their confrontations with other gangs. Drugs and weapons are uncool. Adult life awaits them."

Cool flick in a similar vain as The Warriors. Good acting and story though the run time could of done with a trim.

Jackpot! (2024) - "In the near future, a 'Grand Lottery' has been newly established in California - the catch: kill the winner before sundown to legally claim their multi-billion dollar jackpot."

SHIT!

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I watched my first Hammer horror today in the form of Twins of Evil. I was rather impressed. Inarguably atmospheric, well acted (if a bit hammy), and featuring lavish sets, it's a fun little film. I expected it to be a little more "erotic" since Google calls it an "Erotic Horror" but it's easily forgiven. Peter Cushing is really quite menacing.

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I watched my first Hammer horror today in the form of Twins of Evil. I was rather impressed. Inarguably atmospheric, well acted (if a bit hammy), and featuring lavish sets, it's a fun little film. I expected it to be a little more "erotic" since Google calls it an "Erotic Horror" but it's easily forgiven. Peter Cushing is really quite menacing.

Spoiler

One reviewer said that he beheads his niece as if hecwere preparing for of all his life.

Drunken Monk
7 minutes ago, DrNgor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

One reviewer said that he beheads his niece as if hecwere preparing for of all his life.

Pretty much!

PandaPawPaw

I went on a Nick Broomfield binge and watched the few docs of his I hadn't seen.

Whitney: Can I Be Me (2017) - "Tells the story of Whitney Houston's extraordinary life and tragic death."

I'm not the biggest Whitney fan but she did have an incredible voice and was talented so her downfall was a real shame. I do think her getting together with Bobby Brown is where shit went wrong. He comes across as a twat.

The Stones and Brian Jones (2023) - "The Stones and Brian Jones examines the musical creativity of Jones, the secret to the band's success, through candid interviews with all the essential performers and previously unreleased archive."

I had zero idea who Jones was but this was an interesting watch. Seemed like a talented guy but flawed and a bit fucked up.

Last Man Standing: Suge Knight and the Murders of Biggie & Tupac (2021) - "Filmmaker Nick Broomfield returns to the unsolved murders of Biggie Smalls and Tupac Shakur, and to the figure at the center of it all, Suge Knight."

I thought I had seen this but I didn't realise this was a follow up to the 2002 Biggie and Tupac. It doesn't really tell us anything knew but the interviews are pretty good and insightful in learning about the beef all these rappers had with one another.

PandaPawPaw

The Crow: City of Angels (1996) - "The spirit of the Crow resurrects a car mechanic seeking revenge for the murder of his son."

This started off promising and I was somewhat enjoying it but I lost interest halfway through and ended up watching some Youtube. I did finish it and even for an 85min movie it does drag on a bit. Vincent Perez is OK but doesn't command the screen and his story feels rather rushed with little reason to care. The villains suck and aren't memorable but Mia Kirshner was alright in her role as Sarah. I did like the cinematography and the 'Rain Forever' music from the first film is so awesome. I read Miramax meddled with the movie and wanted it more like the first Crow instead of the dark tone it was meant to have and that makes sense as there does seem like a good movie in there but it's just not what we ended up with.

The Crow: Salvation (2000) - "Alex Corvis returns to the world of the living to solve the murder of a young woman that he was wrongly accused of."

This fucking sucked! Eric Mabius as the crow is hilariously bad and I gave no shit's about him or the story. Dunst is the only good thing about it and even then she has little to work with. SO DULL!

The Crow: Wicked Prayer (2005) - "On his way to becoming an immortal demon, a gang leader orchestrates the murder of an ex-con and his girlfriend."

Starts off with Tank from the Matrix then Karate Kid 2's Yuji Okumoto then Tito Ortiz and on screen it says Macy Gray which made me wonder if I was watching the right movie! Then you've got Dennis Hopper who is utterly wasted and loads of other shite. Furlong sucked and makes a really wimpy Crow and the Villains were so forgettable as is the story.

Highlight: Tara Reid shouting "look at my eyes!", "look at my eyes!" while being bonked against a tree. :P

Even the hawtness of Emmanuelle Chriqui couldn't save it. AVOID! The new Crow has to be better than this..............right?

Super Ninja

AGGRO DRIFT (2024) - I predict Korine's latest to cause a heavy clash of opinions and I refuse to allow myself to sleep it over and risk doubting my own. I was freaking amazed.

Aggro Drift is so brilliant it might take years for many to realize that just like it took years for Gummo to reach a 6,6 score on IMDb. Still too low. Korine's genius hasn't been on such display since Trash Humpers. If filmmaking is a race to the sun, Harmony Korine has a starting line on Mercury while many others start on Earth.

The weird thing is this. I can't deny it, AD is a badly made movie. The script is delirious, the delivery is often awful, the music sounds amateurish, and it all looks like a student film from time to time. And yet, the result is a movie I can't describe as anything less than brilliant. That's what makes the whole experience so insane. If you're gonna be honest, you'll have to admit you've never seen anything like it. You've never seen such aesthetics. You'll struggle to describe and explain what you just saw. I struggle to understand how can a movie this bad feel like the work of a filmmaker ahead of its time.

In all honesty, AD felt like witnessing something exceptionally great, something that should make a huge impact, and I know it most likely won't. I'll bet too many will say this is rubbish, an abomination, a waste of time. Many have walked out from a screening already. For me, Korine's deconstruction of anything resembling conventional filmmaking resulted in a movie that belongs to galleries rather than cinemas, a movie I hope will one day find appreciation if now is not the time.

Twisters (2024) - 5/10

The Union (2024) - 6/10

Trap (2024) - 7/10

Alien (1979) - 10/10

Aliens (1986) - 9/10

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

Coliseum1972

watchd-RobinWilliams-Mork&Mindy-b*hind-sc*n*s-film......it-cov*rs-1976-to-1982-p*riod

4/6,its-okay

PandaPawPaw

Mean Streets (1973) - "In New York City's Little Italy, a devoutly Catholic mobster must reconcile his desire for power, his feelings for his epileptic lover, and his devotion to his troublesome friend."

This felt like two hours of people going on about owing money and little else. I was expecting a lot more with all the talent involved.

The Killer (2024) - "An assassin tries to make amends in an effort to restore the sight of a beautiful young singer."

Really poor and the main two have zero chemistry. The end fight was pretty good though.

Trap (2024) - "A father and his teen daughter attend a pop concert only to realize they've entered the center of a dark and sinister event."

Enjoyed the first 70mins or so (even if there were some questionable moments) then it gets really stupid and far fetched. Even leaving your brain at the door isn't enough to enjoy this. Maybe a full on lobotomy might work?

Girl You Know It's True (2023) - "Dancers Pilatus and Morvan rise to fame in the late 1980's who become stars with No.1 hits and won Grammy. The duo never sang a word in their songs and the truth was revealed, they stared as one of the biggest scandals in music history."

Rather enjoyable but also sad biopic of the famous duo with solid acting, great music and nice cinematography.

Longlegs (2024) - "In pursuit of a serial killer, an FBI agent uncovers a series of occult clues that she must solve to end his terrifying killing spree."

AWFUL!

Ken Park (2002) - "Ken Park is about several Californian skateboarders' lives and relationships with and without their parents."

GROSS trash that I wish I never watched!

Didi (2024) - "In 2008, during the last month of summer before high school begins, an impressionable 13-year-old Taiwanese American boy learns what his family can't teach him: how to skate, how to flirt, and how to love your mom."

This turned out to be a pleasant surprise and was a really good movie. I liked the exploration of relationships between the main family and other characters. Joan Chen was great as the mother.

Rebel Ridge (2024) - 9/10

Point Break (1991) - 7.5/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - 8/10

Trespass (1992) - 8/10

Action Jackson (1988) - 7/10

• Like 2