What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Super Ninja
On 7/11/2024 at 1:36 AM, nectarsis said:

Time to crack open the set

MADEINHONGKONGVOL1SLIP.jpg.98e87ed58317918afac5a9df6e3304e4.jpg

I'm glad I didn't spend money on this set, it has one good movie (Erotic Nightmare), one passable (The Demon's Baby), and one that's absolutely terrible (The Deadly Camp).

On 7/12/2024 at 4:57 AM, nectarsis said:

grindhouse night continues

sddefault.jpg.47c76f6b2650e1afbccb301b2d8015c0.jpg

Funny, I just watched this a couple of days ago. Not very good, but if I were locked in a nazi camp I think I'd prefer Macha Magall as the warden over Dyanne Thorne.

• Like 1

AlbertV

A Gangster's Kiss: A British dark comedy about an actor who preparing for a new role, shadows his childhood best friend, a local gangster, with both hilarious and deadly consequences. It starts out very funny but the last 15 minutes are so grim, but enjoyed it nevertheless, especially John Hannah and Vas Blackwood's hilarious performances. 

Murder Company: During D-Day in Normandy, a small group of American soldiers are tasked with rescuing a French marksman hired to take down a Nazi target. Gilles Marini is excellent as the marksman who finds himself fighting for himself amongst some of the troops and even gives it his all in the action scenes, doing his own stunts and nearly getting choked out at one point authentically.

Bottom Feeders: A young man in rural Pennsylvania tries to find a way out of his humdrum life when his childhood friend returns home. Has the feel of a Larry Clark or Harmony Korine film, with a great performance by Willem Ehrenfreund.

Arena Wars: I love this movie! It's The Running Man and The Hunger Games on acid! An innocent jailed Marine leads a group of prisoners on a game show to take on 7 of the world's deadliest killers for a shot at freedom. Crazy kills in the film and kudos to lead John Wells. Of course, Eric Roberts is in the film in an extended cameo (as Wells' father-in-law) and Michael Madsen as the host of the titular game show (he's not the villain...there is a mastermind involved.)

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024) - "Axel Foley returns to Beverly Hills after his daughter's life is threatened, and works with old pals John Taggart and Billy Rosewood to uncover a conspiracy."

Not a bad sequel and pretty good overall. Murphy was hit and miss for me but the nostalgia was great! Some fun moments too and serge is always a hoot!

The Antisocial Network: Memes to Mayhem (2024) - "A group of lonely teenagers formed an online community and bonded over their isolation, but their collective beliefs warped reality."

Meh. Not very interesting.

The Exorcism (2024) - "A troubled actor begins to exhibit a disruptive behavior while shooting a horror film. His estranged daughter wonders if he's slipping back into his past addictions or if there's something more sinister at play."

I really liked this and Russell Crowe is great in it! The story and VFX are ace!

Menace II Society (1993) - "A young street hustler attempts to escape the rigors and temptations of the ghetto in a quest for a better life."

Solid movie in the same vain as Boyz in the Hood. Good acting all round and interesting characters.

Exploding Kittens (2024) - "An eternal conflict reaches epic proportions when both God and the Devil are sent to Earth in the bodies of chunky house cats."

Pretty fun show and the God and Devil characters are funny and cute. Great voice acting too.

Edited by PandaPawPaw

morpheus

The Killing Fields (1984)

Haing-S-Ngor-Sam-Waterston-The-Killing-Fields-1985-Film.webp

killing fields pran.jpg

killing fields end.jpg

The Man With The Golden Gun (1974) - 8/10

Moonraker (1979) - 6/10

Die Another Day (2002) - 7/10

When a Stranger Calls (1979) - 7/10

When a Stranger Calls Back (1993) - 8/10

• Like 1

Someone's Watching Me! (TV) (1978) - 8/10

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (4K77 No DNR Custom Version) (1977) - 9/10

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K80 No DNR Custom Version) (1980) - 10/10

ChillyChong

Godfather. Flawless masterpiece which deserves all the praise it has deserved.5/5

Godfather part 2. I have never liked this so much. Corleones attempt to expand business to Cuba I found average. More interesting are parts with young Vito Corleone. 3/5.

I wish one day Godfather Saga will be released on disc. Saw it ages ago from tv, lots additional footage and events in chronological order improves over home/theater release of part 2

PandaPawPaw

I love found footage movies and it's getting harder to find any as I've seen most of them.

The Conspiracy (2012) - "A documentary about conspiracy theories takes a horrific turn after the filmmakers uncover an ancient and dangerous secret society."

I think I've seen this before and liking it but on the rewatch it was kinda boring.

Exhibit A (2007) - "The timely story of a normal family disintegrating under financial pressure, eventually driven to the unimaginable. We witness the terrifying events unfold through daughter Judith's video camera, which subsequently becomes Exhibit A."

I enjoyed this one a lot and the way the family slowly crumbles is done really well. I felt a real sense of madness creeping in.

Amber Alert (2012) - "When a group of friends decides to follow a car they've seen posted on an Amber Alert, things start to go very wrong."

I've seen this one a few times and always enjoy it. Really good slow build and I like the tension as it goes along. While some might find the main two characters annoying, I personally didn't have a problem with them.

Savageland (2015) - "When a small town near the Arizona-Mexico border is wiped out overnight, suspicion falls on the lone survivor. But a roll of photos the survivor took that night tells a different story."

This one didn't really do it for me. Largely meh.

ChillyChong

Thor - Love and Thunder

Thor is not among fav marvel characters but earlier movies were good. This is not, too much comedy and dull storyline. Very weak.

Posted (edited)

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (4K83 No DNR Custom Version) (1983) - 9.5/10

Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace (1999) - 4/10

Star Wars: Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones (2002) - 6/10

Star Wars: Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith (2005) - 8/10

Edited by DiP

PandaPawPaw

Menendez Brothers: Victims or Villains (2024) - "Explores parents murder and claims of abuse. Courtroom drama, interviews shed light on events. Provokes debate: Were they victims or villains?"

I was always under the impression the two brothers killed their parents just for money and were evil when in fact there's way more to the story which is the abuse the two boys went through. It was crazy how the media made them into villains and how SNL joked about the abuse. With all that, the brothers never stood a chance as the media was clearly influencing the trial.

Emelie (2015) - "A couple's replacement babysitter turns out to be more than they bargained for when she subjects their kids to a series of twisted activities."

I wasn't sure if I had seen it but it turns out I had. It's OK I guess but there not much too it as the evilness is kind of tame compared to what I was expecting.

Summer of 84 (2018) - "After suspecting that their police officer neighbor is a serial killer, a group of teenage friends spend their summer spying on him and gathering evidence, but as they get closer to discovering the truth, things get dangerous."

Not a bad little movie with an interesting story and good acting from the young cast.

The Year My Voice Broke (1987) - "In rural 1960s Australia, a boy watches helplessly as his best friend falls in love with a small-time criminal, setting off a violent chain of events."

Another good little movie with good performance by the main leads. A bit slow at times but otherwise a fine Aussie flick.

Bad Boys: Ride or Die (2024) - "This Summer, the world's favorite Bad Boys are back with their iconic mix of edge-of-your seat action and outrageous comedy but this time with a twist: Miami's finest are now on the run."

An OK-ish entry to the BB series but Lawrence was kind of annoying and the story was meh. Lawrence's family who are a big part of the films suffered from recasting of the wife who just didn't fit in. The action was OK but the whole thing felt unneeded.

Jizzmaster Jerry

This Boy’s Life- haven’t seen this one in at least 5 years, and it’s as good as ever.  Still my favorite De Niro performance just ahead of King of Comedy.  The most vile cursing I’ve ever heard.  Not even Al Pacino in Glen Gary Glen Ross can match it.  And it has one of my favorite fight scenes.  A brutal movie.  One of the best.  

• Buddha Bless You 1

AlbertV

Ganymede 
This LGBTQ horror film from the husband duo of Colby Holt and Sam Probst mixes religion, identity, and supernatural horror with a high school wrestling star having feelings for his openly gay classmate and comes face to face with a demonic presence that leads to a secret in his family that he never imagined. David Koechner and Robyn Lively are the highlights of the film as they go against type as the outspoken pastor of the protagonist's church and the protagonist's overprotective mother. 

#AMFAD All My Friends Are Dead
On the weekend of a music festival, a group of young adults find their van broken down and they are forced to stay at an AirBnB for the night where a mysterious killer awaits, going after each of the friends based on their sin. Director Marcus Dunstan (The Collector) does a great job with some twists and turns and some great kills, two reminding me of classic kills from 1986's Slaughter High. Not to mention a jaw-dropping final twist that I wasn't expecting.

Before Dawn
In 1910's Australia, a young man from the Outback is drafted to the Army, where he finds himself coming-of-age during the Western Front battles of World War I. Levi Miller pulls off a great performance as the green soldier, based on some real-life characters who were researched through letters by director Jordon Prince-Wright. 

Amsterdamned
Revisited the 1988 Dutch film on Shudder the other night with my 18-year-old watching it for the 1st time. I love seeing this action-horror hybrid of a serial killer using the canals to hunt his prey and the conflicted detective in charge of the case. I was stunned to learn a sequel is coming out next year with star Huub Stapel returning as is writer-director Dick Maas. My daughter loved some of the kills and loved the boat chase scene as well. 

Death Game
I watched this last Friday on Shudder's "The Last Drive-In". Seymour Cassel plays a married man whose wife goes away for a family emergency and that night, two young women (Sondra Locke and Colleen Camp) show up. After having a threesome, he tries to get them out of the house, but they end up playing a deadly game with him. Learned so much about production of the film. Cinematographer and editor David Worth ended up dubbing all of Cassel's lines after he refused to do looping after one scene caused a falling out between him and director Peter Traynor. You may have heard of a 2015 remake of the film, Eli Roth's Knock Knock, starring Keanu Reeves, Ana de Armas, and Loreana Izzo (at the time married to Roth). 

Storm Riders: The Story of Racheltje de Beer
A South African folk tale came to life where Racheltje de Beer, a pre-teen in the 1800s wilderness, moves with her brother and father five years after her mother's death. When they try to start a new life, tensions ensue but when a freak blizzard occurs and the little brother goes missing, Racheltje is determined to find her brother at any cost. Very slow paced at times, but ultimately not a bad film, thanks to newcomer Zonika de Vries as Rachel and a reunion of The Gods Must Be Crazy's Marius Weyers and Sandra Prinsloo as the elderly couple who take the de Beer family in and befriend them. 

• Like 1

Coliseum1972

The Hunger 4/6

Bowie stars in this unusual vampire film (no fangs) , its okay 

PandaPawPaw

Duncanville (2020-2022) - "Duncanville is centered around a spectacularly average 15-year-old boy, named Duncan with a rich fantasy life, and the people in his world. He's not exceptional, but he has a wild imagination in which he's never anything less than amazing."

A good funny show with likeable characters and great VA. It's a shame it was only 2 seasons.