What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

PandaPawPaw

Turning Red (2022) - "A thirteen-year-old girl named Mei Lee is torn between staying her mother's dutiful daughter and the changes of adolescence. And as if the challenges were not enough, whenever she gets overly excited she transforms into a giant red panda."

This was OK. Quite cringey but it looked gorgeous! The Red Panda(s) look cute as heck! The characters were OK but not that interesting and could of been a bit shorter too.

The Royal Hotel (2023) - "Backpackers Hanna and Liv take a job in a remote Australian pub for some extra cash and are confronted with a bunch of unruly locals and a situation that rapidly leaps out of their control."

Very little happened apart from the last 15mins or so. A really pointless flick.

Road House (2024) - "Ex-UFC fighter Dalton takes a job as a bouncer at a Florida Keys roadhouse, only to discover that this paradise is not all it seems."

SHITE!

PandaPawPaw

Quiet on Set - The Dark Side of Kids TV (2024) "A docu-series that uncovers the toxic culture behind some of the most iconic children's shows of the late 1990s and early 2000s."

I didn't know much about Nickelodeon but how the fuck did the grown ups working there get away with all that shit! All the sexual innuendos that crept into the kids shows was sick and how no body stopped it is beyond me! Dan Schneider is a creepy fucker too!

Also I didn't know anything about Amanda Bynes apart from seeing her pop up in a few movies but she looked like she had real talent when she was younger. Look how she ended up!

Then there's the weird shit Ariana Grande had to do..........................

I felt bad for Drake Bell whose dad protected him at all costs but when his mother got custody of him, he ended up being abused by producer Brain Peck!

Damien (2016) - "After discovering his origins, Damien Thorn must cope with life as the Anti-Christ."

Yeah I just couldn't get into this. It continues from the 1st movie but this show was so dull! The guy playing Damien was meh and the story in general was boring. The supporting characters were nothing great either.

On 7/7/2012 at 5:30 PM, massa_yoda said:

Hanna (2011)

This was a nice little movie that didn't really get much buzz after the original teaser trailers (that I remember). According to imdb trivia, the actress who played Hanna trained with Dan Inosanto for a couple months, and it shows, but only very briefly. There are two pretty good fight scenes. The first is with Eric Bana verses some goons. The camera rotates around him as he fights off people coming at him from all directions. No cuts, but some of the weapons might have been CGI-ed in, such as a key knife throw. The second fight is with Hanna fighting off more goons next to some big cargo containers. You see her do some cool takedowns. The movie is more of a chase-type thriller than an action movie, but I appreciated what was there.

And the soundtrack by The Chemical Brothers was cool too.

I watched this movie myself tonight. It vaguely plays like a teenage girl version of The Bourne Identity. Coincidentally, the fights were staged by Jeff Imada, who had worked on The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum. I wish there were more of them, but the underground station fight between Eric Bana and the CIA goons was the highlight. Saoirse Ronan also puts in a good performance; it's little wonder the girl has racked up 4 Oscar nominations before the age of 30. I also liked the cinematography and the overall direction. It's a good-looking movie with a few solid fight sequences and some strong performances.

• Like 1

ShawAngela

Fred Astaire Festival yesterday, with the movies The Belle of New York (with Vera Ellen. Beautiful colors, beautiful dance numbers, and some funny scenes), and The sky is the limit (with Joan Leslie, black and white. Three very good dance numbers).

massa_yoda
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

I watched this movie myself tonight. It vaguely plays like a teenage girl version of The Bourne Identity. Coincidentally, the fights were staged by Jeff Imada, who had worked on The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum. I wish there were more of them, but the underground station fight between Eric Bana and the CIA goons was the highlight. Saoirse Ronan also puts in a good performance; it's little wonder the girl has racked up 4 Oscar nominations before the age of 30. I also liked the cinematography and the overall direction. It's a good-looking movie with a few solid fight sequences and some strong performances.

I’m impressed you found my review from 12(!) years ago in this thread. 

Also, I should probably give this a rewatch…

Yggdrasil
Posted (edited)

I read an article about a film that Britain banned in the 80's that was recently put on Amazon prime, fully uncut. The film was released 10 or so years ago on dvd/blu ray, but I have never heard of it until yesterday.

The film was heavily censored for the American market when it was released there in the 80's. I can see why it was cut, but not banned for Britain. Our tastes certainly change over the decades and horrific films of that nature are pretty tame by modern standards.

So, which film did I watch? Possession  with Sam Neill and a lovely French actress, Isabelle Adjani who performed outstanding in this film. The film is highly recommend.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

Super Ninja
21 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

I read an article about a film that Britain banned in the 80's that was recently put on Amazon prime, fully uncut. The film was released 10 or so years ago on dvd/blu ray, but I have never heard of it until yesterday.

The film was heavily censored for the American market when it was released there in the 80's. I can see why it was cut, but not banned for Britain. Our tastes certainly change over the decades and horrific films of that nature are pretty tame by modern standards.

So, which film did I watch? Possession  with Sam Neill and a lovely French actress, Isabelle Adjani who performed outstanding in this film. The film is highly recommend.

Definitely highly recommended, one of my fave horrors. Not an easy watch though. I watched Possession at a time when I could understand what the characters were going through too well, it made a lasting impact. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

I’m impressed you found my review from 12(!) years ago in this thread. 

Also, I should probably give this a rewatch…

I looked for a film-specific thread and didn't find it. So, I quoted the first post about it that I found. I'm surprised it didn't get more attention here.

• Like 1

Yggdrasil
1 hour ago, Super Ninja said:

Definitely highly recommended, one of my fave horrors. Not an easy watch though. I watched Possession at a time when I could understand what the characters were going through too well, it made a lasting impact. 

I haven't gone through that stage in my life before, other than that I have been through hell of a different kind and certainly my head was in a mess for 3 years or so afterwards.

Coliseum1972
Posted (edited)

Graduation Day III.5/6 , poor mans horror similar to F13 starring Vanna White

Edited by Coliseum1972

PandaPawPaw

Race with the Devil (1975) - "Two couples vacationing together in an R.V. from Texas to Colorado are terrorized after they witness a murder during a Satanic ritual."

It was alright I guess. It was a little creepy in places but far from scary.

New Girl (2011-2018) - "After a bad break-up, Jess, an offbeat young woman, moves into an apartment loft with three single men. Although they find her behavior very unusual, the men support her - most of the time."

Pretty good for the most part though it did lose steam towards the end. Good comedy and characters. Hannah Simone is hawt.

Raising Hope (2010-2014) - "Jimmy becomes a single parent to an infant after her mother, with whom he had a one-night stand, ends up on Death Row."

I wasn't sure if I'd like it as the first few eps weren't amazing but it turned into a pretty funny show. Martha Plimpton was great and the supporting character were fun.

ChillyChong

John Wick 4.

I guess it was better than 3rd but found it dull at times. Water thin plot with over extended action sequences. It gets boring when one scene can last up to 30 minutes or so and John shooting henchmen gets repetitive..But some good stuff around too, Donnie is great and while Adkins does not get that much time he is very cool. with out credits in ran 2hours 38 min, if cut 38 mins from shootouts would not have done harm.

Obviously it does not end there, JW did not die, wounds from duel did not look lethal and  Bowery King and Winston do not look sad at all on grave and fate of Caine in post-credit scene was left open.

Coliseum1972
Posted (edited)

Theres some Kommisar Rex shows on yt with eng subs......its cross cop show/Lassie from  Austria

Edited by Coliseum1972

nectarsis

def...different, But definitely cool seeing Simon Pegg's first movie... and a grouping of actors.We will see in Shaun of the d

Fead a few years later

images.jpeg

nectarsis

def...different, But definitely cool seeing Simon Pegg's first movie... and a grouping of actors.We will see in Shaun of the d

Fead a few years later

Yggdrasil
36 minutes ago, nectarsis said:

Watching for the first time in 30 years +/-

MV5BMTU1MzY2NDc2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTc3MTUzMzI@._V1_.thumb.jpg.11f01340068a92243df0ba9926227312.jpg

Never seen it full stop.

PandaPawPaw
2 hours ago, nectarsis said:

Watching for the first time in 30 years +/-

MV5BMTU1MzY2NDc2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTc3MTUzMzI@._V1_.thumb.jpg.11f01340068a92243df0ba9926227312.jpg

I really like TTCM. It's good fun with an excellent ending.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

Drive-Away Dolls (2024) - "Jamie regrets her breakup with her girlfriend, while Marian needs to relax. In search of a fresh start, they embark on an unexpected road trip to Tallahassee. Things quickly go awry when they cross paths with a group of inept criminals."

Boring as fuck! Dull characters/story and too long. The MCs sucked ass and were either over acting or under acting.

Snack Shack (2024) - "Nebraska City, 1991, two best friends get the chance to run the swimming pool snack shack, that later comes to be the perfect scenario for transgression, fun, personal discovery and romance."

OK movie but the main girl is a bit unlikeable even though she is hawt. Acting was good overall but it could of done with some trimming as it does go on a bit and feels slow at times.

ChillyChong

Honest Thief.

Serial bank robber Tom(Liam Neeson) meets love of his life and wants to make sure past does not come after him and proposes a deal to FBI he returns loot and does light sentence. Things do not go that smoothly as crooked feds get interested of boxes full of dollars.

Quite interesting movie, no rewatching material but was OK buy for 5€. Robert Patrick is around too but has small role, just 3 or 4 scenes.