What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

42 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

How action packed is this one? The trailer got me giddy.

There's lots of firepower in it..there's some tense dramatic moments between Russell Crowe (via audio) to Liam Hemsworth. The third act has a lot of action and Milo Ventimiglia has some fight scenes in it and he actually looks good. Interesting note: Luke Hemsworth DOES NOT play Liam's brother in this one. As a matter of fact, they didn't know until they were both cast that they would be in the same movie together. It reminds me of films like Let's Get Harry, The Rock, and even one of my favorite B-movies, Merchants of War

• Like 1

Hypnotic (2023) - 6/10

Role Play (2024) - 5/10

Independence Day (1996) - 8/10

Hereditary (2018) - 7/10

The Creator (2023) - 7.5/10

Lift (2024) - 6/10

Deep Fear (2023) - 4/10

Duplex (2003) - 8/10

ShawAngela

Last week, I dived into some musicals that I got thanks to our friend @DrNgor.

Footlight Parade 1933, with James Cagney and Ruby Keeler.

Dance, girl, dance 1940, with Maureen O'Hara. I didn't even know that she played in musicals and that she was also a dancer.

My dream is yours 1949 with Doris Day

The unsinkable Molly Brown 1964, with Debbie Reynolds and Harve Presnell. I saw him only in the series called in French "Le Caméléon" (story of Jarod, with multiple identities), and I didn't know that he was such a good singer.

Cabin in the sky1943, with Lena Horne in a small role

In the good old summertime 1949, with Judy Garland, and, a surprise for me, Buster Keaton in a talking small role. I thought that I already had this movie, but I was mistaken, and I loved it.

I loved them all, very good boxset!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Last week, I dived into some musicals that I got thanks to our friend @DrNgor.

Glad you enjoyed them!

• Buddha Bless You 1

PandaPawPaw

Boy Swallows Universe (2024) - "In 1980s Brisbane, a precocious boy and his selectively mute brother embark on a suburban odyssey of love, redemption, and retribution after their family is torn apart by a drug lord."

I struggled with this one. It started OK but it just became rather bleak and dull. The story was meh and the characters weren't that engaging and most were just not likeable. The main child actor wasn't bad though.

Thoroughbreds (2017) - "Two upper-class teenage girls in suburban Connecticut rekindle their unlikely friendship after years of growing apart. Together, they hatch a plan to solve both of their problems-no matter what the cost."

The premise was OK but not strong enough for the running length. Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joys American accents were great (to me at least) but man did their characters suck! Cooke was a misery guts throughout and Joy was just plain boring. Add the shitty supporting characters and this whole thing becomes a slog.

PandaPawPaw

V/H/S/85 (2023) - "Unveiled through a made-for-TV documentary, five tales of found footage horror emerge to take viewers on a terrifying journey into the grim underbelly of the 1980s."

I've really enjoyed the other V/H/S movies but this one was pretty poor. The first segment called 'No Wake' was great! Thoroughly enjoyable and I kind of wish it was longer. The second segment God of Death started off interesting then became silly and the rest of the movie never recovered. Was quite bored by the end.

The Curse (2023) - "A newlywed couple struggle to make their vision for eco-living a reality in a small New Mexico town."

Started off interesting but it slowly became one of the worst things I've seen. Unlikeable characters throughout with no real redeeming qualities. The main characters are fucking stupid and annoying as is the producer guy Dougie. The ending was not really satisfying either.

Edited by PandaPawPaw

Europe from Above 

Discovered this documentary series on Disney. Each episode is dedicated to one European nation and it’s mainly shot via drone with voiceover. Watched Romania last night. Amazing country. I may never get to Europe to fully explore these places, so this might be as good as it gets for me. 

PandaPawPaw

The House That Jack Built (2018) - "In five episodes, failed architect and vicious sociopath Jack recounts his elaborately orchestrated murders -- each, as he views them, a towering work of art that defines his life's work as a serial killer in the Pacific Northwest."

This shit was worse than Babylon! One of the worst films I've seen. 2hr 30m or just pure boredom. No point to anything. No real characters I could give a shit about. I can't stand Lars von Trier.

Edited by PandaPawPaw

PandaPawPaw

Marmalade (2024) - "Follows a man in jail who narrates the colorful tale of a romantic bank heist to his cunning cellmate to escape and reunite with the alluring love of his life."

A film trying to be really cool but comes off as trying too hard. The main actress's character is hawt but an annoying twat and the guy is a forest gump-esque character but not endearing like him and a total dumbass.

End of Watch (2012) - "Shot documentary-style, this film follows the daily grind of two young police officers in LA who are partners and friends and what happens when they meet criminal forces greater than themselves."

As I was watching it I thought this is alright at best but wow the last 20mins and the whole films comes together!

Spoiler

It was obvious deaths were coming but the way it came was hard to watch! The execution of Mike (Michael Peña) was horrendous! It reminded me of Murphy's death scene in Robocop in the sense of how some humans don't care one bit about killing in cold blood and get so giddy over it!

I'm not sure how accurate it is but it was a decent movie. I did have a few problems with it though.

The Latino villains sucked ass and they were rather bad at acting! They really spoiled the movie especially the main Latino girl.

Also the switching from found footage style to regular movie camera was a but jarring at times.

Drunken Monk

Marmalade (2024) - I promise you that you'll guess the "twist" in this film in the first 20 minutes. Maybe sooner. I certainly did. The director obviously wants Marmalade to be this quirky little southern tale but what we get is a duller version of Forest Gump where instead of playing ping pong, the lead robs a bank. It's mundane, lazy and its many "southern-isms" are corny as fuck. The worst 2024 film I've seen so far.

The Book of Clarence (2023) - Had this just a Biblical epic, it would have been something truly special. When it hits the emotional notes, it's incredible. Sadly, the director decides to go the comedy route and none of it's funny. It's try hard and lame. Ultimately, it becomes annoying. It could have been great but it ends up being slughtly above average and forgettable. Great direction and visuals though.

Murdaritaville: From Paul Dale, the director behind "Sewer Gators" and "Killer Kites" comes his latest film, which is out tomorrow. A group of friends heading to a Jimmy Buffett-impersonation contest are stalked and picked off one-by-one by a...were-parrot...yes, you read it right. There's an even an "opera shark" in the mix....Seriously...a crazy WTF film! 

PandaPawPaw

Next Goal Wins (2023) - "The story of the infamously terrible American Samoa soccer team, known for a brutal 2001 FIFA match they lost 31-0."

A good fun film with endearing characters and a funny but touching story about an underdog team. Taika Waititi's small role was silly and wasn't needed though.

Patriots Day (2016) - 9/10

The Equalizer (2014) - 9/10

The Equalizer 2 (2018) - 8.5/10

The Equalizer 3 (2023) - 8.5/10

Super Ninja

Lisa Frankenstein (2024) - Robin Williams' daughter, Zelda Williams, directs this fun, enjoyable throwback to the '80s (in more than one way), a romantic horror comedy best described as a mix of Heathers and early Tim Burton. You know when we say they don't make them like this anymore? Well, they do.

Ferrari (2023) - This is now my favorite Adam Driver role. I can't really say what it is about this movie, but something makes me wanna rewatch it and I wasn't even that interested in watching it in the first place. Is this Penelope Cruz at her scary, dark bitchy best?

Poor Things (2023) - The best Lanthimos has done since Kynodontas; I just don't think anything can dethrone his debut in my eyes. Style and substance, visually striking, creative, smart, weird, and beautiful. A friend said it's what Barbie should have been and now that I've seen it I have to agree. Emma Stone should beat her competition at the Oscars by a mile.

Dogman (2023) - I feel as if everybody's forgotten about this movie and it's a shame. It's no actioner for sure, but it is a very, very good movie. And Caleb Landry Jones deserves an award for his performance as the dog-loving transvestite.

• Like 1

Coliseum1972

RockyIV.......underrated&filled-to-brim-with-classic-80s-tunes.....4.5/6

PoliceAcademy......4.5/6.......the-film-turn-40-on-March 23!

Ti-Koyo......havent-finished-yet.....about-boy-who-has-shark-as-pet,its-okay,I-guess

PandaPawPaw

Mean Creek (2004) - "When a teen is bullied, his brother and friends lure the bully into the woods to seek revenge."

Not a bad little movie with good performances especially from the younger actors.

Poor Things (2023) - "The incredible tale about the fantastical evolution of Bella Baxter, a young woman brought back to life by the brilliant and unorthodox scientist Dr. Godwin Baxter."

OK movie which I didn't hate. Not amazing but generally OK. I love the dialogue and the way of speaking and there are some funny moments. Stone is good as is Ruffalo/Defoe. I did find the amount of sex in it tedious and there was far too much of it. The running time could of done with a trim. Good cinematography too.

Posted (edited)

- Indiana jones and the dial of destiny

a waste of time and especially money, not a single cool action scene, only mildly funny, no disturbing or shocking (or make that schlocky) scenes, no sense of adventure and last but not least no 80 year old should be an action hero ffs.

Also the cameos of the past characters was unnecessary, it is is about Indiana not the lame forgettable side characters and if you still decide to do it then why neglect Temple of Doom? Movies go crazy on fan service these days, lame…

These movies should have stayed stand alone adventures

Edited by WangYu

PandaPawPaw

Bad Host: Hunting the Couchsurfing Predator (2023) - "Follows the story of how a group of young women, unbeknownst to each other, were all victims of a predator who lured them to stay with him using Couchsurfing. The young women united and battled for six years, to bring him to justice."

A good doc about something I never knew existed! Pretty shocking how this was ever a thing and how people would just trust others and stay with complete strangers! I felt bad for the victims and the predator was a complete wanker as were many of the police/law people involved!

Article on this.

• Sad 1

Koravec

Bob Marley biopic, anyone see it yet? the Bob actor looks nothing like him. Enjoyable, but not a must see or remarkable movie in my opinion. Room for another bob marley biopic if anyone else would ever want to make one. Writing this I just now recalled the jimi hendrix biopic they made, wonder if that was even worse than this one. Ive thoroughly enjoyed every musician biopic Ive ever seen even so far including this one though. 

Felt a bit choppy hard to follow at times, easy for me to miss sentences or remarks due to the heavy jamaican dialect. Worth the time and money spent on the theater? Eh not entirely sure, I mean it was worth killing some time and getting out for a while, being a huge bob marley fan I was grooving to the music the entire way through, even to the point of regretting leaving credits before the music stopped playing.

PandaPawPaw

Lisa Frankenstein (2024) - "A coming of RAGE love story about a teenager and her crush, who happens to be a corpse. After a set of horrific circumstances bring him back to life, the two embark on a journey to find love, happiness - and a few missing body parts."

I'm a fan of Kathryn Newton and liked her in everything I've watched so I gave this a go and it was great for the most part. Great music, acting, 80s style/vibe. About an hour in I realised that the reanimated guy is Cole Sprouse who I can't stand and that took a lot of the enjoyment away. Also The main girl became a bit unlikeable during the last 40 mins to the point I started kind of hating her.

Beyond Utopia (2023) - "The story of several families as they attempt to escape oppression in North Korea, revealing a world most of us have never seen."

Such a sad and eye opening doc. Seeing people wanting to just lead happy lives yet being controlled and forced to act a certain way by a fat bastard is horrible! There is a pastor who helps families escape north Korea and even puts his own life on the line. I had no idea that people in N-Korea have to give their poo to the government to be used as fertilizer!

"In impoverished North Korea, farmland is fertilized using human waste, and the government tasks every household with yearly collection quotas. RFA reported in January 2019 that households were struggling to meet an impossible quota amounting to 100 kilograms (220 pounds) per able-bodied citizen per day."

In order to meet said quotas some people end up stealing other peoples poo. Seeing young kids being brainwashed to hate America was also sad and sick. These little minds being corrupted and used is terrible. :(

For anyone in the UK this is available on BBC iPlayer.

• Sad 1

PandaPawPaw

Darkside of the 90s - "Spinoff of Vice's Dark Side of the Ring that looks at '90s pop culture"

Pretty good series with some good eps. S1 was better but S2 featured the boom of MA and UFC which were interesting eps.

Girls5Eva S3 - "A one-hit-wonder band from the '90s gets a second shot at fame when a young rapper samples their song."

Yeah didn't really like S3. The other 2 series were good but this one was kind of annoying.

Coliseum1972

Tiko & the shark

It was just okay , not really exciting....only italian dub on yt but not faded to death like other versions 

Se7en (1995) - 9.5/10

Run All Night (2015) - 8/10

The Martian (2015) - 7/10

Honest Thief (2020) - 7/10

John Q (2002) - 8/10

• Like 1

DarthKato
31 minutes ago, DiP said:

Se7en (1995) - 9.5/10

Run All Night (2015) - 8/10

The Martian (2015) - 7/10

Honest Thief (2020) - 7/10

John Q (2002) - 8/10

Man, Se7ven is a masterpiece. I might not have cared for The Batman (22), but I'm grateful to it for introducing me to such a great movie. 

• Like 2