What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

How It Ends (2021) - "In this feel-good apocalyptic comedy, Liza (Zoe Lister-Jones) embarks on a hilarious journey through LA in hopes of making it to her last party before it all ends, running into an eclectic cast of characters along the way."

Not very good and a plodding film with lots of cameos.

The Holdovers (2023) - "A cranky history teacher at a remote prep school is forced to remain on campus over the holidays with a troubled student who has no place to go."

Good little movie that even at just over 2hrs long, kept me engaged. Solid acting and an interesting story.

Thanksgiving (2023) - "After a Black Friday riot ends in tragedy, a mysterious Thanksgiving-inspired killer terrorizes Plymouth, Massachusetts - the birthplace of the infamous holiday."

I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but I did for the most part. Nothing groundbreaking but good story and gory kills which are decent but didn't like the last 20mins or so. Lame ending.

Cold Blows the Wind (2023): A couple accidentally hits a jogger and decides to take him to their vacation cabin to get him some help. When he tries to escape, the husband kills the jogger and now, they need to hide the body. However, a mysterious woman knocks on the door and well, lo and behold, she not only knows their secret, but she is possessed by a supernatural entity. Some great twists and usual final girl actor Jamie Bernadette is in a role like never before. Victoria Vertuga is great as the wife whose reactions to her husband's actions are priceless and the third act is just insane!!! 

PandaPawPaw

Hider in the House (1989) - "A deranged man hides in the attic of a new house and becomes obsessed with the unsuspecting family that moves in."

Alright movie with Gary Busey being a mad stalker type character and Mimi Rogers being the pray.

School Spirit (1985) - "A college student gets into a car crash and becomes a special kind of ghost who can make himself invisible or corporeal at will. He takes advantage of his powers to pursue his fellow female students, during the infamous 'Hog Day'."

Cheesy 80s movie which isn't that bad but not amazing either and quite silly at times.

Blood & Guts (1978) "A young athlete becomes the unlikely star of an itinerant wrestling troupe, and a rival promoter will go to any length to steal him away."

Pretty meh with OK story but is quite dull overall.

ShawAngela

Some years ago, I bought Danger Diabolik 1968 and... impossible to watch it! The disc didn't work whatever the dvd player I used, not even in the computer.

I decided to give it another try this evening and IT WORKED!!

It's a nice little movie, with some innovative sets for that year, nice music and plot.

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw

Road Train (2010) - "A group of teenagers are menaced by a driver-less train in the Australian outback."

Utter shit! Bad everything!

The Vault (2017) - "Two estranged sisters are forced to rob a bank in order to save their brother. But this is no ordinary bank."

Not much better. In fact also shit!

PandaPawPaw

Maggie (2015) - "A teenage girl in the Midwest becomes infected by an outbreak of a disease that slowly turns the infected into cannibalistic zombies. During her transformation, her loving father stays by her side."

Quite a slow moving film and quite boring at times. I did like the premise of the story though and it made you think about how you would deal with something like that. Arnie was pretty good in it and gave a nice performance.

Self Reliance (2023) - "Given the opportunity to participate in a life or death reality game show, one man discovers there's a lot to live for."

Didn't work for me and found it mostly stupid.

Coliseum1972

The-Avengers :

Epic (same-plot-as-Riddlers-silent-film-caper)

Murdersville (village-also-seen-in-Dirty-Dozen)

Youve-just-been-murdered

Deaths-Door

Return-of-Cybernauts

Pretty-good-episodes.....imo

• Like 2

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, Coliseum1972 said:

The-Avengers :

Epic (same-plot-as-Riddlers-silent-film-caper)

Murdersville (village-also-seen-in-Dirty-Dozen)

Youve-just-been-murdered

Deaths-Door

Return-of-Cybernauts

Pretty-good-episodes.....imo

Good to see another fan of The Avengers!

• Like 1

DarthKato

Some of the stuff I've been watching lately:

1. Twin Peaks- One of the best shows I ever seen. Great characters and a very interesting story. 
  2. Kill Bill 1&2- Still one of my favorite action films series. Having said that, after rewatching them, I do think the first movie was slightly better than the second. Probably because of how badass the fight between The Bride and The Crazy 88 was
  3. The Dark Tower- It was actually a pretty good movie. I had a lot of fun watching it. I liked all the characters, the story was interesting, and it had some damn good action scenes. But, having said that, it's one of the worst book to movie adaptions I have ever seen. They got pretty much everything wrong, except for a few details like character names. It would have actually probably worked better as some weird sequel to The Shining and Doctor Sleep. Since they do mention "The Shine" quite a bit in the movie. 

PandaPawPaw

How to Have Sex (2023) - "Three British teenage girls go on a rites-of-passage holiday - drinking, clubbing and hooking up, in what should be the best summer of their lives."

A very plodding film with not much happening in the first 40 mins and even when something does happen, it doesn't really lead anywhere. The acting was alright.

Bullies (1986) - "The Morris family moves from the city in an attempt to make a new life in a small resort town, only to be confronted by a sadistic rural clan, the Cullens."

It sounded good but the execution wasn't great and the characters aren't that engaging. The Cullens were a horrible bunch but a bit too much overacting made them seem silly at times. I liked how the stepfather/son became closer by the end of the movie.

Super Ninja

Lift (2024) - I watched this for one reason only, 9th gen Sing Ga Ban member Lee Huang (supposedly Max Huang's brother) handling the fight choreography. Much like The Gray Man (2022), this is instantly forgettable, and the little fighting you see is nothing to write home about. Arguably, the only trace of Jackie can be seen in Lee Huang's use of the environment though that doesn't help liking the action here much more.

Remember James and Chris Mark who gave us Kill Order (2017)?

Well, Chris was in charge of the fight choreography on Spare Parts (2020), a surprisingly solid Canadian low-budget horror actioner about an all-girl punk band that ends up fighting for their lives in gladiator matches organized by some sort of crazed cult on a local junkyard. With weapons replacing their chopped-off limbs. Unfortunately, there's less emphasis on MA action than one could want or expect, but overall this is a well-paced, bloody exploitation fun somewhat reminiscent of Nishimura's J-bloodbaths. The good thing is the 2X team is back in action. The bad thing? Only for a short fight in the arena.

Sadly, they don't get much more screen time in Control (2022), James Mark's latest (minimalistic) sci-fi indie that sees this Canadian filmmaker returning to experimenting on human subjects and psychokinesis. Chris Mark is a stunt coordinator this time, but the action in his brother's movie is of the telekinetic sort mostly. It's like Cube (1997) with buried family drama, personal trauma, a loop concept, and a female protagonist. Atmospheric little Canadian sci-fi movie that, much like Spare Parts, deserves a higher rating on IMDb. Again, Alex Chung of Contracts (2020) is working with the 2X team and again, I wish these guys would get more screen time and a better chance to show off their skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super Ninja said:

Lift (2024) - I watched this for one reason only, 9th gen Sing Ga Ban member Lee Huang (supposedly Max Huang's brother) handling the fight choreography. Much like The Gray Man (2022), this is instantly forgettable, and the little fighting you see is nothing to write home about. Arguably, the only trace of Jackie can be seen in Lee Huang's use of the environment though that doesn't help liking the action here much more.

Remember James and Chris Mark who gave us Kill Order (2017)?

Well, Chris was in charge of the fight choreography on Spare Parts (2020), a surprisingly solid Canadian low-budget horror actioner about an all-girl punk band that ends up fighting for their lives in gladiator matches organized by some sort of crazed cult on a local junkyard. With weapons replacing their chopped-off limbs. Unfortunately, there's less emphasis on MA action than one could want or expect, but overall this is a well-paced, bloody exploitation fun somewhat reminiscent of Nishimura's J-bloodbaths. The good thing is the 2X team is back in action. The bad thing? Only for a short fight in the arena.

Sadly, they don't get much more screen time in Control (2022), James Mark's latest (minimalistic) sci-fi indie that sees this Canadian filmmaker returning to experimenting on human subjects and psychokinesis. Chris Mark is a stunt coordinator this time, but the action in his brother's movie is of the telekinetic sort mostly. It's like Cube (1997) with buried family drama, personal trauma, a loop concept, and a female protagonist. Atmospheric little Canadian sci-fi movie that, much like Spare Parts, deserves a higher rating on IMDb. Again, Alex Chung of Contracts (2020) is working with the 2X team and again, I wish these guys would get more screen time and a better chance to show off their skills.

I had zero interest in Lift before but after your review, I'm even less inclined to check it out but I just happened to peep the cast and crew and lo and behold, I see Kim Yoon-ji has a role in the film. Brings back memories for me as I still remember her when she debuted in Kpop a long time ago.

• Like 1

Super Ninja
5 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I had zero interest in Lift before but after your review, I'm even less inclined to check it out but I just happened to peep the cast and crew and lo and behold, I see Kim Yoon-ji has a role in the film. Brings back memories for me as I still remember her when she debuted in Kpop a long time ago.

You could say she was one of the higlights, plays a hacker in Kevin Hart's team of thieves. Liked her more than Ursula Corbero who plays the pilot.

Forgot to mention Hart's Hartbeat was one of the production companies behind this project.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich - "Survivors reveal the manipulation, abuse and emotional scars suffered at the hands of Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell. Their stories expose a sex trafficking ring of powerful enablers leading up to his 2019 arrest."

Sick bastard and all the others involved. Good riddance!

The Woodmen (2023) "Three individuals who find themselves in a fight for their lives as they attempt to escape from a clan of feral humans that call the Great Smoky Mountains home."

9bbba643deb99882188410266ce9acdc.gif

Howl (2015) - "When passengers on a train are attacked by a creature, they must band together in order to survive until morning."

This actually wasn't that bad and I somewhat enjoyed it. I thought the characters were good and the creature was pretty well done.

PandaPawPaw

Highlander (1986) - "An immortal Scottish swordsman must confront the last of his immortal opponents, a murderously brutal barbarian who lusts for the fabled "Prize".

I always heard good things about this movie and well I thought it was utter shite. Bad acting, boring story, Connery sucks and he's apparently a Spaniard but with a Scottish accent! Lambert is a bad actor. The villain is cringe! Nothing about it was good apart from the wrestling bit at the beginning.

Also why does it all feel like it's been dubbed?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Drunken Monk

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020) - A complex plunge into the surreal. This film is layered as hell and I imagine it takes multiple views in order to put all the pieces together. This is my first time seeing it and while I think I understand some of it, there are things that are far beyond me at the moment,
Themes of death, alienation, hopelessness and nostalgia are here to be explored but I'll need to sit with this one. It's a heavy, heavy film.
It's also insanely wordy and not everything that's said makes sense. I think this film requires patience and will lose some people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Highlander (1986) - "An immortal Scottish swordsman must confront the last of his immortal opponents, a murderously brutal barbarian who lusts for the fabled "Prize".

I always heard good things about this movie and well I thought it was utter shite. Bad acting, boring story, Connery sucks and he's apparently a Spaniard but with a Scottish accent! Lambert is a bad actor. The villain is cringe! Nothing about it was good apart from the wrestling bit at the beginning.

Also why does it all feel like it's been dubbed?

I don’t get it either…

Lambert is fantastic in Greystoke: the legend of tarzan though!

DarthKato

Just got through watching True Grit(1969). Been wanting to watch it for a long time, and I finally caught it on one of the cable channels that is having a John Wayne month. I liked all the characters. The interaction between John Wayne character Rooster and the young girl who played Mattie was excellent. They actually remind me of Batman and the Carrie Kelly version of Robin. I wonder if Frank Miller took some inspiration from this movie for The Dark Knight Returns. Anyways, the story kept my interest throughout, and it had a nice blend of action, drama, and a little comedy. I can honestly see how John Wayne won an Award for his role. I’m giving it a 5/5. A truly excellent movie.

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw

Amityville: An Origin Story (2023) - "This limited series is the first-ever elevated look at the strange alchemy of mass murder, 1970s paranormal obsession, and the explosion of the horror film genre that gave rise to The Amityville Horror sensation."

A 4 episode doc going through not just the murders but also the movies that came from it. I think Ronald DeFeo is a crack pot psycho killer who knew exactly what he was doing. I don't believe the Lutz story at all and they made it all up especially when they knew how much money they could make from it all and the Warrens are bullshit artists.

It doesn't really reveal any new info as it's all been said before but it's an OK watch.

779c354b61bd9b8a1e6628d6d9f904d7e903bb1b

Land of Bad: Liam Hemsworth's rookie Air Force controller goes on a joint mission with a Delta Force squadron and when they are ambushed, Hemsowrth gets help from a drone pilot to help him pass "behind enemy lines". Feels like a throwback to 80's and 90's B-movie military action films. It was the intention of director and co-writer William Eubank. Milo Ventimiglia gets some fight scenes in the film as one of the Delta Force members and he gives it his all with Russell Crowe as the drone pilot who mentors Hemsworth. 

Midnight Peepshow: A horror anthology in which a lowly businessman enters a "peepshow" and finds himself viewing 3 stories that mesh sexual fantasies with horror. It is not as exploitative as it turns out to be. One story involves a couple with relationship issues, one meshes "Saw" with the trend of "f**k marry kill" with "Gremlins" star Zach Galligan as the voice of the gamemaster. The final story features the main character in his own story and features Ryan Oliva (who will play Winnie-the-Pooh in Blood and Honey II) as the "Black Rabbit". 

Jurassic Triangle: A group on their way to a retreat end up in the middle of a lost area where they come across mercenaries, creatures, and dinosaurs. It is one of those, "so bad it's insane" films with loads of funny CGI and some crazy deaths in which people would explode if they come across some creature with sonar. I was laughing throughout most of it, but I still am a fan of Sian Altman and Chrissie Wunna. 

Here for Blood: Pro wrestler babysits a 10-year old while his girlfriend studies of her final college exams. Masked Satanists enter the home to try to sacrifice the girl to appease their "god" and the wrestler must go into action mode. Lots of brutal and crazy death scenes and there is even a decapitated skull that keeps wanting to be fed with the voice of Dee Snider as the skull. A wild Canadian horror comedy! 

Murder and Cocktails: A struggling screenwriter and his former soap opera actress wife go into "The Thin Man" territory when they learn their elderly neighbor has been shot and killed. They live stream their interrogations of their neighbors in the hall by offering them cocktails. Fun and witty...like a 21st century "Clue" if you will. It kept me guessing that's for sure. 

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
6 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Land of Bad: Liam Hemsworth's rookie Air Force controller goes on a joint mission with a Delta Force squadron and when they are ambushed, Hemsowrth gets help from a drone pilot to help him pass "behind enemy lines". Feels like a throwback to 80's and 90's B-movie military action films. It was the intention of director and co-writer William Eubank. Milo Ventimiglia gets some fight scenes in the film as one of the Delta Force members and he gives it his all with Russell Crowe as the drone pilot who mentors Hemsworth. 

How action packed is this one? The trailer got me giddy.