What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

22 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Yeah, I can see this film being rather polarizing in that regard. I saw for the first time tonight. It has a very matter-of-fact feel to it, just documenting with clinical detachment the transfer of power within a Triad society and what happens when one guy doesn't accept the result. Tony Leung overplays his role with glee, while Simon Yam underplays his, which is sort of the point once you get to the final scenes. I was also glad to see David Chiang getting work. 

I just rewatched Election & Election II last night, am I the only one who thinks the second one is better?

• Like 1

House III: The Horror Show (1989) - Another entry and an average one at that. The story was good but it was a little dull in places though I enjoyed the SFX.

House 4: The Repossession (1992) - This was actually the best one I think. The story was interesting and there was some cool SFX. It does trail off at the end though.

Talk to Me (2022) - Surprisingly good for the most part. Some really creepy and unsettling parts and the makeup/effects are awesome! Good acting all round too.

Bottoms 2023 - "Two unpopular queer high school students start a fight club to have sex before graduation."

It actually wasn't so bad. Enjoyable characters, funny moments, good music and solid acting.

Stuff I watched since this summer:

THE NIGHT AGENT (Netflix)

WHO IS ERIN CARTER? (Netflix)

UNTOLD: SWAMP KINGS (Netflix)

UNTOLD: JOHNNY FOOTBALL (Netflix)

QUARTERBACK: (Netflix)

HEART OF STONE (Netflix)

THE LINCOLN LAWYER (Netflix)

THE UPSHAWS, 4 seasons (Netflix)

THE BLACKLIST Season 10

FAST X (Amazon)

ASHOKA (Disney+)

SECRET INVASION (Disney+)

BILLIONS Season 6 (Crave)

REVIVAL 69: THE CONCERT THAT ROCKED THE WORLD (Crave)

HARD KNOX (NY Jets-2023) (DAZN)

• Like 1

Beetlejuice (1989) - I always avoided watching this when I was younger as it looked shit and gross. I thought I'd give it a go now that I'm older and I thought it was meh. Crap and boring. The table scene was pure cringe! CRINGE!

Only thing I liked were some of the visual effects.

I was also surprised that Keaton was not in it that much.

Edited by PandaPawPaw

4 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Beetlejuice (1989) - I always avoided watching this when I was younger as it looked shit and gross. I thought I'd give it a go now that I'm older and I thought it was meh. Crap and boring. The table scene was pure cringe! CRINGE!

Only thing I liked were some of the visual effects.

I was also surprised that Keaton was not in it that much.

Back then, I found it was stupid and still do. However, I saw the Broadway play in NY last year. I had stomach pain for days from laughing too much! LOL!

• Like 1

Ice Cold: Murder, Coffee and Jessica Wongso (NETFLIX) - "This documentary delves into the unanswered questions surrounding the trial of Jessica Wongso years after the death of her best friend, Mirna Salihin."

Yep she cray cray!

On 9/28/2023 at 1:24 PM, bigrogie said:

Back then, I found it was stupid and still do. However, I saw the Broadway play in NY last year. I had stomach pain for days from laughing too much! LOL!

I've only watched it once and although I usually liked Tim Burton's style if films, I disliked it. The same would be for Basketcase.

Both crap in my opinion.

- Been watching the Arrow's Female Scorpion films.

Watching Fatal Termination and although people have said the screen jitters for most of the film, what bothered me the most, was the out of sync audio. Even for a post dubbed film, the spoken dialogue will never be in sync due to the actors from different parts of the world.

At the 48 min mark at the funeral, the out of sync is just awful. There were other times in the film it was bad, but not to the extent compared to the half way mark.

Edited by Yggdrasil

21 minutes ago, DiP said:

Speed (1994) - 10/10

Die Hard (1988) - 10/10

Die Hard 2 (1990) - 8/10

Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) - 8.5/10

Speed is classic. Bought that and Point Break on blu. Just to re-watch some great action films from my past.

Shame about Bruce Willis if you see him in Die Hard to how he is now.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 4:36 PM, Yggdrasil said:

Speed is classic. Bought that and Point Break on blu. Just to re-watch some great action films from my past.

Shame about Bruce Willis if you see him in Die Hard to how he is now.

80s and 90s action film-making were so special. I'm a 80s guy (I got to experience the early 90s at most though but that's good too) so I need my fixes from time to time to remind myself that I grew up in an era where things used to be authentic, imaginative, very fun, and boundary-pushing. Good old times.

I always thought Willis looked younger than what he was in Die Hard. He was 33 years of age at the time but he gave vibes of being in his late 20s. Sad to see him in his current state... Wishes and prayers for him and his family. 🙏🙏

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Abby (1974) - "A marriage counselor becomes possessed by a demon of sexuality when her father-in-law, an archaeologist and an exorcist, accidentally frees it while in Africa."

Thanks to @sifu iron perm for bringing this film to my attention and it sucked! :D

Really lame Exorcist rip-off that is unintentionally funny in places.

Til Death Do Us Part (2023) - "After bailing on her wedding, a former bride-to-be must fight off her ex-groom and seven angry killer groomsmen in order to survive the night."

It was listed as horror when it's more like action/martial arts. OK film.

Licorice Pizza (2021) - "The story of Alana Kane and Gary Valentine growing up, running around and going through the treacherous navigation of first love in the San Fernando Valley, 1973."

A long 2hr movie that is quite boring and frustrating. Dull/annoying characters too.

The Re-Education of Molly Singer (2023) - "To save her job, a young lawyer must go undercover, enrolling as a freshman at her old alma mater, in order to resuscitate the well being of her Boss' terribly awkward teenage son"

Pretty enjoyable flick. Good acting and the story was interesting. I always get Britt Robertson and Danielle Panabaker mixed up.

Theater Camp (2023) - "The eccentric staff of a rundown theater camp in upstate New York must band together with the beloved founder's bro-y son to keep the camp afloat."

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Really solid acting with lots of interesting characters and funny scenes. I even enjoyed the singing.

Appendage (2023) - "A young fashion designer's life spirals as her darkest inner thoughts manifest into something gruesome- that won't stop growing."

Started off strong and I was enjoying it but then it just goes down hill and never recovers and that is partly due to SFX.

Spoiler

The animatronics sucked and took me out of the film.

Also the black guy surviving the soul sucking was really stupid as he had been in that state for a while but came out of it like nothing major happened.

Acting was solid though.

It Lives Inside (2023) - "An Indian-American teenager struggling with her cultural identity has a falling out with her former best friend and, in the process, unwittingly releases a demonic entity that grows stronger by feeding on her loneliness."

So being Hindu I thought I'd enjoy it a bit more but it was just really average. I liked the amount of Hindi used in it but I get the impression the main actress isn't fluent in the language as she hardly speaks and when she does, it sounds a bit rough.

Meh story and very dull at times. Not scary and quite forgettable. Good acting but the story isn't gripping.

Down Low (2023) - "A deeply repressed man, the uninhibited young man that gives him a happy ending, and all the lives they ruin along the way."

Not what I was expecting and at first I wasn't into it but as it went on it picked up and was OK.

Saw X (2023) - "A sick and desperate John travels to Mexico for a risky and experimental medical procedure in hopes of a miracle cure for his cancer only to discover the entire operation is a scam to defraud the most vulnerable."

Not awfully bad but not great. Somewhat enjoyed the last 30ish mins. Not as gory as previous movies and rather tame compared to those. I did enjoy seeing -

Spoiler

Detective Hoffman return.

The Firm (1989) - "This is the story of rival "Firms" of football supporters, and how one man has a wish to team them up for the European Championships of 1988. However, when this is discussed, the opposing leaders are not happy, as they believe this is a challenge to their authority. This Film shows how football violence has progressed from pure violence to a form of organized crime, to the extent that all the leaders know each others home phone / mobile phone numbers."

Thanks to @Gaijin84 for alerting me about this film. OK movie about groups or 'Firms' as they're called butting heads and wanting to be number one. Gary Oldman is OK in this though the story is both depressing and quite sad at how these grown men want to play thuggish games while achieving absolutely nothing but hate and violence. I really hate this aspect of Football.

Lots of well known names in it too. I watched the Directors Cut but I don't think it really added anything to the movie apart from some violence. You can tell which bits have been reinserted back in to the movie due to the shift in video quality. Deleted/cut scenes where taken from a workprint.

11 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Saw X (2023) - "A sick and desperate John travels to Mexico for a risky and experimental medical procedure in hopes of a miracle cure for his cancer only to discover the entire operation is a scam to defraud the most vulnerable."

Not awfully bad but not great. Somewhat enjoyed the last 30ish mins. Not as gory as previous movies and rather tame compared to those. I did enjoy seeing -

Reveal hidden contents

Detective Hoffman return.

The Firm (1989) - "This is the story of rival "Firms" of football supporters, and how one man has a wish to team them up for the European Championships of 1988. However, when this is discussed, the opposing leaders are not happy, as they believe this is a challenge to their authority. This Film shows how football violence has progressed from pure violence to a form of organized crime, to the extent that all the leaders know each others home phone / mobile phone numbers."

Thanks to @Gaijin84 for alerting me about this film. OK movie about groups or 'Firms' as they're called butting heads and wanting to be number one. Gary Oldman is OK in this though the story is both depressing and quite sad at how these grown men want to play thuggish games while achieving absolutely nothing but hate and violence. I really hate this aspect of Football.

Lots of well known names in it too. I watched the Directors Cut but I don't think it really added anything to the movie apart from some violence. You can tell which bits have been reinserted back in to the movie due to the shift in video quality. Deleted/cut scenes where taken from a workprint.

Seems you like football hooliganism in films. Have you seen The Football Factory and I.D?

While this film is not football related, just racism in England in the 80's, have you seen the film - This is England?

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Seems you like football hooliganism in films. Have you seen The Football Factory and I.D?

While this film is not football related, just racism in England in the 80's, have you seen the film - This is England?

LOL I wouldn't say like as I've only seen The Firm and The Football Factory and they aren't movies I'd want to rewatch anytime soon. Not heard of I.D but will give that a watch. Thanks.

Yeah seen This is England. Great film (as is the series) but hard to watch.

1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

LOL I wouldn't say like as I've only seen The Firm and The Football Factory and they aren't movies I'd want to rewatch anytime soon. Not heard of I.D but will give that a watch. Thanks.

Yeah seen This is England. Great film (as is the series) but hard to watch.

Why is the series hard to watch?

I linked the trailer but it seems its age restricted, so removed it. You'll have to find it yourself I'm afraid.

What about Rise lf the Footsoldier?

Edited by Yggdrasil