What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

I decided to watch Logan’s Run as it's not long until I turn Sanjuro.

On 8/19/2023 at 2:51 AM, DiP said:

Sleeping with the Enemy (1991) - 8/10

What Lies Beneath (2000) - 7.5/10

What lies beneath is a great film. Even better with Harrison Ford.

• Like 1

Marathoning the entire series of "I Love Lucy" (1951-1957)- Great show, that still holds up pretty well in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Waking Nightmare: A college student reeling from loss returns home and begins to sleepwalk with dire consequences. Despite help from her doctor, strange things begin to happen. Enjoyed this one with 80's greats Diane Franklin (Better Off Dead) and Jamison Newlander (The Lost Boys) as the MC's parents and David Naughton (An American Werewolf in London) as the doctor, who comes off like his character from Midnight Madness, just very kindhearted and caring. Shelley Regner is really good as the main character IMO.

Night of the Caregiver: Joe Cornet's first foray into horror after doing loads of Westerns is a pretty strange (in a good indie way) supernatural horror film about a woman (Natalie Denise Sperl) hired to care for an elderly woman (The Exorcist's Pazuzu herself, Eileen Dietz) for the night, leading to some strange occurrences. At the same time, a detective (Cornet) searches for clues involving his mother's disappearance years ago with the help of a parapsychologist (Eric Roberts)...of course you can guess how this connects to the main plot. Alexander Nevsky only produced the film and doesn't appear in it, but he came up with the story. 

The Dive: Two estranged sisters reunite for their annual trip, this time scuba diving in a remote location. The cliff edge where the girls go in breaks and causes one of the sisters to fall 28 meters down with limited oxygen, forcing her sister in a constant race against time. This may seem compared to 48 Meters Down, but there are no sharks, just the tension as to if the downed sister will survive the ordeal when we see the other sister race to grab the remaining oxygen tanks. It's a remake of a 2020 Swedish film, Breaking Surface.

• Like 2

The Boogeyman (2023) - Now I didn't hate this nor did I like it. The film is average and void of any scares but I thought the acting was decent. Certainly not the worst film I've seen recently.

1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

The Boogeyman (2023) - Now I didn't hate this nor did I like it. The film is average and void of any scares but I thought the acting was decent. Certainly not the worst film I've seen recently.

I actually think this was a better movie than Demeter. Above average for me.

shukocarl1441996347

All of my Hammer films, this time in year order. I started at 1955 Quatermass Xperiment and tonight I'll be watching Vampire Circus 1971...some more to go yet...:smile

• Like 1

The Ruins (2008) - I wasn't sure if I had seen this but it was pretty good! The horror element was well done and the gruesome parts were great! Acting was top notch all round and the story was unique. Well executed though there is one scene with really bad greenscreen which took me out of the film momentarily.

Birth/Rebirth (2023) - Ugh what utter shite! The re-animator aspect of it intrigued me but it's such a dull movie. Not scary at all though I thought the acting was good.

Cashback (2004/2006) - "After a painful breakup, Ben develops insomnia. To kill time, he starts working the late night shift at the local supermarket, where his artistic imagination runs wild."

It started out as an 18min short but it was then turned into a movie. I wasn't amazed by it and found it was a little long but it was interesting and had lots of bobs and vegana (inc Keeley Hazell). :D

• Like 1

This weekend was a non martial arts movies feast (but I'll watch a Shaws' movie this evening, I can't help but watch one, I'm in need of one !!! :monk_laughing:)

Against all flags

It was a nice little Pirates movie, in which Errol Flynn plays an English officer who goes undercover in a Pirates's nest in order to destroy their hidden cannons. He manages to steal the woman pirate's (Maureen O'Hara) heart from Anthony Quinn, to save an Indian Princess who was captured on a boat taken by the pirates, and hence, saving all the English people living in India, and accomplish his mission.

I enjoyed it.

The rare breed

Another Maureen O'Hara's movie, in which she and  her daughter try to begin a new race of cows in Texas, with a bull that deosn't have horns. They are helped by an aged James Stewart.

It was a pleasnt movie too.

Zane Grey, Code to the West

Nice little western, in which Raymond Burr plays a villain !!

Four fast guns

Or how a man has to get rid of a villain in a village called Purgatory (Once you enter Purgatory, you have to forget God says the entry of the village, or something like that) and  he has to escape the four killers the villains paid, among which there is his own brother (but this latter didn't know who he had to kill).

Sad ending.

Outlaw women

A town ruled by women is the target of several bandits. Nice little movie.

Stranger on horseback

Or how a judge (Joel Mc Crea) has to face the Bannerman family (lead by John Carradine) in order to get a trial against the young Tom Bannerman, who killed a man.

Nice western.

• Like 1

Indiana Jones & The Dial Of Destiny

Much better than i expected given the negative reviews but way overlong, at 30 minutes could've been shorn from the running time.

Barbie

Megablockbuster didn't do it for me, intensely disliked Ryan Gosling as Ken, Margot Robbie IS Barbie though. Another movie that could've done with 20 minutes lopped off,i was bored after 80 minutes.

The Manitou

Cheesy late 70's horror with Tony Curtis fighting off the title character,who's growing out of his friend's back.

Batman Mask Of The Phantasm

Possibly the best Batman movie ever made,certainly the best animated one.

• Like 2

The Founder (2016) - "The story of Ray Kroc, a salesman who turned two brothers' innovative fast food eatery, McDonald's, into the biggest restaurant business in the world, with a combination of ambition, persistence, and ruthlessness."

A pretty good movie and Ray Kroc(of shit) really screwed over the MCD Bros. He had a vision and got shit done but the way he went about it really made him unlikeable even if it did change the way fast food was done. I don't know how accurate it is but Michael Keaton was really good as Kroc.

I was on a bit of a Dustin Ferguson/Dark Infinity kick of no-budget flicks so I watched:

Demonoids from Hell - his homage to Ghoulies
Cocaine Cougar - need I say more
Demon Predator - cyborg on the loose with a dose of Predator

Also watched:

What I Meant to Say Was... - reminded me of those 80's B-comedies that would air on Up All Night mixed in with indie rom-com. A guy dies in a car accident before sending a text to his girlfriend and while in Hell, he crosses realms to make sure he sends his final message. Writer/director Gary Whorley is funny as the protagonist's fast talking tour guide Chang. 

Rally Road Racers - animated film about a loris who makes a deal with an aristocratic toad to enter a car race to save the loris village. Fun racing movie, reminded me of Animalympics meshed with Wacky Races. Cast includes Jimmy O. Yang, J.K. Simmons, Chloe Bennet, and John Cleese.

The Whirlpool - the latest from Russian Raid director Denis Kryuchkov revolves around a young unhappily married woman who goes on a retreat with her friends and learns the place is run by a shaman who uses his powers to help people face their fears. Flashbacks reveal the husband of our main character being a very abusive man who is such a major scumbag. Has shades of Midsommar but adds a supernatural edge to things. Won awards at the Vienna and Prague Independent Film Festivals. 

Anuvahood - "Meet Kenneth. He thinks he's got the moves. He thinks he's got the swagger. He thinks he can spit bars. But in reality, he's a WASTEMAN!"

I rewatched it due to upcoming release of Sumotherhood and it is a very funny film. It's sometimes really stupid and silly but it works. Good solid characters all round and I would kind of say it's a very loose version of Friday as they do share similarities.

:D

Convoy (1978) - "Truckers form a mile-long "convoy" in support of a trucker's vendetta with an abusive sheriff - Based on the country song of the same title by C.W. McCall."

I was looking forward to this but man is it boring and dull! It's kind of like a shit unfunny version of Smokey and the Bandit. I've never been a fan of Kris Kristofferson and he was pretty meh in it as was everyone else.

It feels like it was just made because of the song and not because they had a good story or anything to work with.

The Fence (2022) - "Comedy drama set in 1980s Bristol. When a young lad gets his new motorbike pinched, it triggers a mystery tour of subcultures, as he and his pugnacious brother search for the culprit."

Not a bad little movie. Good story, solid acting and a great soundtrack. Noice.

On 9/15/2023 at 1:07 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

Convoy (1978) - "Truckers form a mile-long "convoy" in support of a trucker's vendetta with an abusive sheriff - Based on the country song of the same title by C.W. McCall."

I was looking forward to this but man is it boring and dull! It's kind of like a shit unfunny version of Smokey and the Bandit. I've never been a fan of Kris Kristofferson and he was pretty meh in it as was everyone else.

It feels like it was just made because of the song and not because they had a good story or anything to work with.

I think it was very good for about an hour and then it got boring because of less action but it’s been a long time, I might remember it badly.

• Like 1

House (1985) - I wasn't sure if I had seen these movies and I didn't remember any of it so I guess I hadn't. It started off promising but then it just got incredibly boring and pretty silly. The premise is good but the execution was bad.

Got the three sequels too watch......................

Edited by PandaPawPaw

House II: The Second Story (1987) - A bit better than pt1 and more watchable but still nothing special. Some cool SFX and the

Spoiler

dog catapillar was cute!

25b56a84ca834555c4701bbcc3dd2a981a653c18

On 10/11/2015 at 11:48 AM, LamLok said:

Election (2005, Johnnie To) - I first saw this film a couple of years ago and didn't quite get it. It seemed cold to me, without any kind of emotion and very confusing. There was too many characters (I didn't know who was who) and I couldn't sympathise with anyone - which is the main point of whole story. No gloryfying of triads and old tradions vs. modern world and hunger for money and power. Now, everything makes sense and I love it.

Yeah, I can see this film being rather polarizing in that regard. I saw for the first time tonight. It has a very matter-of-fact feel to it, just documenting with clinical detachment the transfer of power within a Triad society and what happens when one guy doesn't accept the result. Tony Leung overplays his role with glee, while Simon Yam underplays his, which is sort of the point once you get to the final scenes. I was also glad to see David Chiang getting work.