What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Jizzmaster Jerry

I Spy- wasn’t expecting much when I saw it’s rated 5.4 on IMDB, and I never saw the TV show.  But it was a lot of fun.  A solid 7/10.  If I didn’t watch 3-5 movies every day and watched them every once in awhile like a normal person, I’d probably be saying this is a great movie.  My only problem was that Eddie Murphy doesn’t get to show his boxing skills.  He plays a boxer, apparently the best in the world with a 57-0 record.  He did throw a one two combo, and I counted 2 more punches, and a slap.  The slap did look good.  I’m pretty sure Eddie Murphy has some decent skills.  But all we get is 4 punches and a slap.  Maybe I’m asking too much?  No, I’m not.  But a good flick.  Also shoutout to the grave for Darren Shahlavi.  He has a decent sized role.  Didn’t recognize him at first because of his ridiculous curly haircut.  

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

House Party (1990) - The OG is best! Love it! Great songs/comedy and fun characters.

I just realised it was released the same year as my favourite film - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

house-party-1990.gif

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

PandaPawPaw

The Wrath of Becky - Ugh. I thought the 1st movie was average at best but I was shocked to see a sequel existed. It's pretty bad and a forced sequel and very pointless.

Boring characters, dumb villains who make dumb decisions, annoying MC who is unlikeable.

Starfighter with commentary. Never seen or heard of it before and bought the Arrow US release.

The Hidden - glad to finally own it on blu and listening to the commentary.

Moon 44 - A direct to VHS release in 1990. Had to buy the German release as I couldn't find it on blu anywhere. Not seen it for 30 odd years.

So this arvo, after watching Moon 44 again since the 90's and looking at what else the director had done, I was pleasantly surprised that the majority of the disasters films he's made, I've seen.

But not Moonfall.

Having never heard of it, saw any reviews or trailers, I just jumped in with both feet.

I just rolled my eyes with the singing and bodypopping in space... Not very professional for spaceman. But the film got worse. I wasn't sure if it was the bad acting, that crappy English actor from G.o.T or the awful special effects that made the film look cheesy.

For me, it's definitely a 2/10.

PandaPawPaw

Sympathy for the Devil - I used to like Nicolas Cage back in the day but went off him so I watched this as it looked interesting and I wanted to see what he was up to these days................

................nope! It was shit. Cage was good but the rest was just meh. Quite boring overall. It just goes on and on.

Have been watching a lot of films recently, especially as I am a part-time film blogger and interviewer with indie filmmakers and actors. 

End Times: A zombie apocalypse rocked LA and a suburban housewife must rely on a military survivalist whose daughter fell victim to the virus to traverse to a safe zone. Great performances by leads Jamie Bernadette and Craig Stark. It is an Asylum film, but they didn't make the film themselves yet it looks like it was inspired by "The Last of Us".

King on Screen: A really great documentary about Stephen King's works and their film adaptations with interviews by Mick Garris, Frank Darabont, Mikael Hafstrom, and others. There is some great BTS footage of The Shining and The Green Mile, the latter where King himself showed up on set on his birthday before his accident which almost left him paralyzed but shows no signs of slowing down. 

The Passenger: An unhinged psychopath after killing his manager and 2 bullying co-workers takes his timid co-worker on a road trip to help him get the confidence he needs to overcome the youngin's past demons. Kyle Gallner is excellent in the role of the psycho and Johnny Berchtold is great as the titular "passenger". 

Hundreds of Beavers: A hilarious silent homage to the Looney Tunes in a completely f'd up kind of way...and I loved every minute of it!!!! An applejack salesman turned fur trapper is tasked with getting hundreds of beavers to win the heart of the fur master's daughter...and all of the beavers are actors in mascot costumes which makes it more the fun! 

Holistay: Two couples find themselves in an AirBnB after a double booking so they agree to stay there. However, mysterious things begin to happen when figures appear and screams are heard. There is a shocking twist in the finale that I wasn't even expecting but it's a damn good one. 

Our Deadly Vows: A couple celebrating their 1st anniversary meet up at a cabin with their closest friends, but someone else awaits in the wings, someone killing them one by one. There are some annoying characters I hope get theirs early and in the case of some, do. The end is a bit predictable, but not a complete waste of time. 

When I Was a Human: A nice short film about a dog, worried about losing his owner to a new relationship, becomes a human the next day and learns that there is more than one meaning of love. The director worked on Kill Bill as an assistant for the Japan shoot and plans to make a feature film adaptation of the short, which I hope she does. 

I am Rage: A cult kidnapping victims for the blood (due to the adrenachrome in it) kidnap a woman with a violent past and will soon regret it when her demons are unleashed. Hannaj Bang Bendz has the potential to be a major action force. She is a great actor and does have a martial arts background. With the right action crew, she will have what it takes. The fights are okay for a low budget Scottish film. Credit to director David Ryan Keith, who made his first action film as he usually delves as a horror filmmaker. The film has some horror elements to it, but he wanted to make a hyper realistic action film with this one. 

Mia and the White Lion: Shot over the course of three years, this is about an 11-year old British girl who moves with her family to her dad's old farm in South Africa. The dad intends to turn the farm into a bed and breakfast in an effort to boost tourism with his family's nature reserve. When a white lion is born on the reserve, the girl eventually bonds with the lion over the course of three years, when she discovers that lions are being hunted for sport. She decides to bring the lion to a river reserve where a tribe consider the white lion its protector. Heartwarming, emotional, and brings a message. Really enjoyed it. Fans of Warrior will want to know Langley Kirkwood (Bailey on the show) plays the girl's dad. 

Edited by AlbertV

Seeing as it's the anniversary of the movie's release and on honor of his recent passing.... it's a movie time

MV5BYTQ2MmVlNzctZGE5Ni00MGMwLWJmMWYtODAzZmRlZTljMGEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTUyMzE4Mzg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg.296bd5b059822ec25b949e86cd398586.jpg

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Resident Evil Death Island - Meh. Story was OK I guess and the animation for the most part was good but the dull/stiff faces really spoils things.

The Destroyer - Thanks to @AlbertV for making me aware of this film. :D It was pretty average. Anthony Perkins is wasted in it but plays his part well and the 'Destroyer' is pretty weak sauce as the killer. I'm not sure what it was trying to be though as it's a horror film but not scary in the slightest.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 9:03 PM, nectarsis said:

tonights first movieMV5BZDk1NzMxMTMtODFmMS00OWZmLWJhYjEtMzBmMjZjODNkOGFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg.6479c8332f80b785c8ce80dcb454ebf7.jpg

I've seen this one plenty of times..."Father Guus. It's Dutch" and when Tracy Dali's top accidentally opens, her dad Burt Ward's reaction as if he was still Robin from Batman.. Been a while but will need to revisit this one. Richard Gabai also directed the controversial Teen Boxer aka Kickboxing Academy in 1997.