What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Super Ninja
9 minutes ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

Super Mario Brothers- after growing up with Mario my whole life and loving every Mario game I’ve played there’s almost no way that a movie could meet my expectations.  It’s ok.  I guess Nintendo learned their lesson and didn’t want to let someone get too ambitious with it.  A good replacement for the live action Mario movie disaster.  Though not worth the wait of 30 years for it to come out.  

My bestie, who's the biggest Nintendo/Mario fan I know, loved it. Seen it twice on the big screen. I'm not a big fan and only picked up two or three references, and I loved is as well. One of the best, most enjoyable animated movies I've seen and funnier than many comedies. 

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941: Sam Wood): I have been meaning to watch this for years. I can always watch a Jean Arthur film and I do want to see all that is available from her.  She is Miss Jones in the title while The Devil is Charles Coburn (who would later work with her in The More the Merrier – a must watch) as John P. Merrick – the wealthiest man in the world.  He is full of hubris, but he is having a bit of an image problem with a business on the outskirts of what he owns. 

So, he decides to go undercover (even after hiring an undercover detective) to find out who is unionizing and possibly who was responsible for the effigy of him.  He has himself hired (he is the owner) and ends up in the slipper than shoe department under the watchful eye of Hooper (Edmund Gwenn) whom he ends up hating in a delightful series of hubris vs. hubris. 

It has some It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947) vibes which I prefer a bit over this in both the hiding of the rich character, the falling in love of the rich character and the denouement. 

This film is definitely misnamed.  If there is a devil in this film it is Edmund Gwenn’s (Santa Claus in Miracle on 42nd Street) character and the biggest mistake in this film is what they did not do with him (spoiler if I say anything, but it was a letdown).  Gwenn is a good actor and he is quite good at being the haughty and punctilious boss and/or just plain jerk.  Merrick starts off pompously enough, but his edges get worn down by the delightful Miss Jones whose boyfriend (Robert Cummings) is one of the instigators of the union. 

This is filmed well.  I like the look of the cinematography and chiaroscuro. Charles Coburn was nominated for supporting actor (Doesn’t he feel like a leading actor here?). Donald Crisp would win for How Green is my Valley (that whole lineup nominated is stacked). 

This is an enjoyable comedy where it follows romantic comedy (rom com) basics so you pretty much know what will happen.  You know who will fall in love with who and of course a typical ending.  Worth watching for classic Hollywood fans. 

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

The Children’s Hour (1961: William Wyler): for a film with such a high IMDB rating (7.8) and a director I generally like (Ben-Hur, The Big Country) I really did not like this.  This is one of those films I mainly saw because someone I know saw it. Other than the high IMDB rating, it is not critically well regarded. 

This movie pushes the boundaries of The Hays Code with the implied (at first then it comes out) possible unnatural lesbian relationship between two longtime friends of Karen Wright (Audrey Hepburn) and Martha Dobie (Shirley MacLaine). 

The whispering scenes are only because of The Hays Code, which makes them look out of place in how they are portrayed here. 

These two found a school for children.  Dr. Joe Cardin (James Garner) is the love interest of Karen and the apparent bane of Martha. She seems to be jealous, but because she does not like Joe taking time away from her (or so it seems). 

Children can lie.  This seems like a truism, but in order for this plot to go forward one giant lie from a mischievous, manipulative, petulant and bratty child Mary has to be taken for a truth.  This is an annoying kid's performance (the cinema is full of them, but still, you cannot see anyone taking this child seriously).  When Mary gets spanked by the doctor, I thought possibly the film might go in a lying child abuse angle, but apparently that was fine. 

The first thing I was thinking was that there should be a lawsuit for slander (there was, and they lost in here – they only lost because they could not get the witness they needed).  The plot relies on so many coincidences and happenstance that it becomes irksome. 

And another unnecessary suicide like Natural City, Milk, Redbelt.  I know it is supposed to be devastating, but it felt forced and didactic.  I am sure you can make a case for it (real life has awkwardly timed suicides), but it just aggravated me. 

Add in Karen Wright’s reaction at the end just did not feel right.  You can interpret it various ways, but it felt tacky.  Sometimes the performances from MacLaine and Garner felt off to me.  The plot annoyed me more than interested me.  I just feel there are a lot better films with these actors to watch instead. 

• Like 2

Jizzmaster Jerry
12 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

My bestie, who's the biggest Nintendo/Mario fan I know, loved it. Seen it twice on the big screen. I'm not a big fan and only picked up two or three references, and I loved is as well. One of the best, most enjoyable animated movies I've seen and funnier than many comedies. 

I grew up with a lot of great Disney movies, but I’m not much of a fan of animated movies from 2000 on.  Avatar is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen.  But I did think Wreck It Ralph was a good video game movie.  And I loved Despicable Me part 1.  I shouldn’t have expected a Mario movie to be great, but I wanted it to be.  But it wasn’t bad.  It’s on par with the old Super Mario Bros. Super Show.  

• Like 4

I loved Avatar but then in some ways I could associate myself with the film on a small level. 

I haven't watched anything for a long while as transcribing or scrubbing takes far too much time. 

Saw episode 7 of Silo, episode 7 of a Japanese dorama called Pending Train and a weird bizarre Japanese film from 2005 called Ido.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 2

Speaking of the Kei Fujiwara movie, iD can anyone confirm the running time or know if there are cut versions? The back cover of the R1 DVD says 144 minutes but it only plays to 92? IMDb also lists 144? @Takuma any input on the Japanese R2 version?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Speaking of the Kei Fujiwara movie, iD can anyone confirm the running time or know if there are cut versions? The back cover of the R1 DVD says 144 minutes but it only plays to 92? IMDb also lists 144? @Takuma any input on the Japanese R2 version?

The official Japanese website says 93 min. I don't know if a longer version exists or not.

As far as I know, this was never even released on DVD in Japan.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Takuma said:

The official Japanese website says 93 min. I don't know if a longer version exists or not.

As far as I know, this was never even released on DVD in Japan.

Probably why I couldn't find it on Amazon JP when I searched for  イド

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 6/9/2023 at 3:12 AM, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

Super Mario Brothers- after growing up with Mario my whole life and loving every Mario game I’ve played there’s almost no way that a movie could meet my expectations.  It’s ok.  I guess Nintendo learned their lesson and didn’t want to let someone get too ambitious with it.  A good replacement for the live action Mario movie disaster.  Though not worth the wait of 30 years for it to come out.  

It’s an improvement over this abortion of a movie.

IMG_2025.webp.91e47688d0e862c31b15d57f8de2ba83.webp

• Like 1

Touha zvaná Anada (1971) AKA Adrift

The seldom seen film that really makes you think as there are a lot of loose ends.  Stars Rade Markovic (in the background) Milena Dravic (holding the mirror) and the elusive Paula Pritchett.  Sadly, Markovic and Dravic are no longer with us.

adrift.jpg

anada.jpg

• Like 1

Coliseum1972

Torso 4/6 , italian horror similar to F13 , its okay i guess

Striking Distance 3/6 , Willis in un-inspired boring action about some serial killer

• Like 1

osbournecox

The Killing Of A Sacred Deer

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5715874/

a very strange, unique and unsettling movie. great score and camera work. also has a strong atmosphere that builds up slowly. has a bit of a david lynch feeling to it. this is the type of movie that is best to watch without knowing much about it.

excellent, the best movie i've watched in a while. be aware that it is far from being a popcorn movie.

• Like 1

Coliseum1972

The Adventurous Air-Steward 3.5/6 , same actor/director as Adventure in Denmark , a comedy

Not a great movie but i kinda enjoyed it , the ending is decent......its a travel-movie like "Denmark" , it was shot in Thailand

About some pilot who cheats and James Yi Liu is the air steward (no eng subs so wild guess here) 

Fools Gold 2/6 , boring movie about treasure hunt on bottom of the sea , Matt Mc and Don Sutherland stars. To me it was a waste of time , no excitement in it , zzzzzzzz

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 1

Coliseum1972
On 6/9/2023 at 10:12 AM, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

Theres a japanese cartoon SMB , no idea if its a movie or just an episode , its on yt

• Like 1

Jizzmaster Jerry
On 6/22/2023 at 3:04 AM, Coliseum1972 said:

Theres a japanese cartoon SMB , no idea if its a movie or just an episode , its on yt

Japan did make a cartoon Mario movie.  It was ok.  I think it was the first Mario movie or show that was ever made.  

I watched a couple kids movies from 1993 that I think I was too cool to watch when they came out.  I was 10 or 11 years old.  Basically a man.  

Free Willy- this was ok I guess.  Lori Petty was really good.  But why did they hire Michael Ironside as the bad guy and not let him act?  Thumbs down.  You don’t hire him as the bad guy and not let him throw at least one temper tantrum.  That’s just bad filmmaking.  

Dennis the Menace-  this was a surprise.  Enjoyed it all the way through.  When I turned it on I saw John Hughes’ name all over it.  I couldn’t help but get excited, and the movie doesn’t disappoint.  The casting is perfect.  Dennis is good.  Can’t expect a kid to match the performance of legends like Walter Matthau and Christopher Lloyd.  It reminded me of Problem Child, but better.  

• Like 4

PandaPawPaw
On 6/22/2023 at 9:04 AM, Coliseum1972 said:

It's OK for what it is. Nothing amazing.

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw

Super Mario Bros. - I finally watched it and it was really fun up to the point where Mario gets sucked into the Mushroom Kingdom then it become a bit meh.

The voice acting was good but I'm not sure about Peach's voice. It wasn't awful or anything but something about it bugged me. Jack Black as Bowser was great as was Charlie Day as Luigi.

I would of said Chris Pratt was good if it wasn't a Mario movie but he sounded a bit dull and flat in places. He should of had way more oomph.

It's lovely to look at though and the Mario universe is nicely realised.

My biggest complaint is the bloody music. Why songs like 'I Need a Hero' or 'Take on Me' were used I will never know. They don't fit and the former song is so overused. Nintendo has so many good tunes that I don't get why they didn't use more of them.

I'm going to watch it in Japanese at some point as I think the voice acting might suit it way more.

• Like 2

Coliseum1972

Great Escape 60 anniversary

July 15 marks 50 yrs since TX Chainsaw started shooting , ive got the UK DC movie poster on the wall currently

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw

As Above, So Below - I've seen it before but rewatched it and man it's shit! I don't remember it being so bad.

• Like 2