What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

shukocarl1441996347
45 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Moonage Daydream (2022) - I am now a Bowie fan.

Pepe le Moko (1937) - My introduction to French poetic realism. Also a proof there are good movies on Netflix, even if you have to spend an hour searching for one.

Warlords of Atlantis (1978) - I know absolutely nothing about British '70s science-fiction movies, so can only say this was a fun watch. Anything with a giant octopus involved should be.

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951) - Romance for the ages. Ava is divine here.

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933) - Financial failure at the time of its release due to interracial relationship portrayed, condemned for Orientalism later on; Chinese general was played by a Swede. Still, this is another brilliant movie from the ever great Frank Capra, ahead of its time. Recommended!

Andrei Rublev (1966) - A masterpiece! Perhaps the best I've seen from Tarkovsky so far. Almost as good as Super Ninja :tongueout

Rocco E I Suoi Fratelli (1960) - Included on Scorsese's 39 foreign films recommendation list, this is a flawed movie that I can't say I share his enthusiasm for. The finale is moving and powerful though. Wish I've seen it in Italian, not in French.

Henry V (1944) - Fell asleep watching this way too many times. Still, an interesting mix of a stage play and a motion picture with a couple of impressive shots.

Aparajito (1956) - Second part in Satyajit Ray's Apu trilogy. I've seen Pather Panchali years ago. Still prefer The Music Room, but Ray's films are really as close as you can get to experiencing India through films.

She's Gotta Have It (1986) - Perhaps more important than really great, this is still a fun and well made indie that deserves to be seen. It's about those gals who just gotta have more than one man. If you've met the kind, you know how addictive they can be, and also that it's better to run than let yourself stick around long enough to fall in love.

Dark Angel (1990) - Space dealers with mullets coming to Earth to steal heroine in order to produce a rare and pricey alien drug. Yuppie gang is involved. Dolph Lundgren is a cop on a mission to save the planet from the alien threat. Awesome!

Nope (2022) - Jordan Peele finally made a good movie. Defo his best if you ask me. Best to know as little as possible, just go see it.

Zero de Conduite (1933) - More French poetic realism. Jean Vigo's featurette that has a couple of great shots that feel a lot more fresh than they should.

L'Atalante (1934) - More from Jean Vigo and French poetic realism. There's something about Vigo's energy that makes him different. Is it really one of the greatest films of all time? See for yourself.

Red Psalm (1972) - Hungarian philosophical communist musical. Best of its kind for director Miklos Jancso they say. I can't judge as I haven't seen the others, but I'm pretty sure now I'm not going to. Not the perfect choice for your Sunday night watch with a bag of favorite potato chips.

Cairo Station (1958) - Great! Egyptian mix of neorealism and film noir packed into less than 75 minutes. Energetic, fun 75 minutes. Recommended.

Warlords of Atlantis & Dark Angel...good popcorn flicks :-)

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

God Forgives, I Don't 1967. Slightly better than Boot Hill. Thankfully no circus antics this time. Good Almeria locations but it's WAY too talky and over-complicated. Frank Woolf steals the show chewing the scenery.

Kindergarten Cop 1990. Great fun from all the cast (SHUT UPPP!!!):rofl

Nightmare at Noon 1988. How didn't I know about this one? Its bloody great! Low (but enough) budget sci fi that combines zombies, shoot 'em ups, stunts, crashes, explosions, a trip to the wild west and a twin helicopter battle in it's running time and directed by the fella who did that godawful Island of Death - who knew? It's awesome:bs_thumbsup:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

God Forgives, I Don't 1967. Slightly better than Boot Hill. Thankfully no circus antics this time. Good Almeria locations but it's WAY too talky and over-complicated. Frank Woolf steals the show chewing the scenery.

This is one of my favorite Spaghetti Westerns, but I remember having similar thoughts on the first viewing. For me it gets better with each viewing 👍

• Like 3

On 12/25/2022 at 12:06 PM, Django said:

This is one of my favorite Spaghetti Westerns, but I remember having similar thoughts on the first viewing. For me it gets better with each viewing 👍

Definitely!  Terence Hill and Bud Spencer team up with Frank Wolff being the annoying antagonist.  I always wondered though...at the start of the film, a child's plastic ball falls onto the train tracks....did balls like that exist during the period (possibly the 1870-1880s)?

coverlg.jpg

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 3

On 12/20/2022 at 9:47 PM, Super Ninja said:

Moonage Daydream (2022) - I am now a Bowie fan.

Pepe le Moko (1937) - My introduction to French poetic realism. Also a proof there are good movies on Netflix, even if you have to spend an hour searching for one.

Warlords of Atlantis (1978) - I know absolutely nothing about British '70s science-fiction movies, so can only say this was a fun watch. Anything with a giant octopus involved should be.

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951) - Romance for the ages. Ava is divine here.

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933) - Financial failure at the time of its release due to interracial relationship portrayed, condemned for Orientalism later on; Chinese general was played by a Swede. Still, this is another brilliant movie from the ever great Frank Capra, ahead of its time. Recommended!

Andrei Rublev (1966) - A masterpiece! Perhaps the best I've seen from Tarkovsky so far. Almost as good as Super Ninja :tongueout

Rocco E I Suoi Fratelli (1960) - Included on Scorsese's 39 foreign films recommendation list, this is a flawed movie that I can't say I share his enthusiasm for. The finale is moving and powerful though. Wish I've seen it in Italian, not in French.

Henry V (1944) - Fell asleep watching this way too many times. Still, an interesting mix of a stage play and a motion picture with a couple of impressive shots.

Aparajito (1956) - Second part in Satyajit Ray's Apu trilogy. I've seen Pather Panchali years ago. Still prefer The Music Room, but Ray's films are really as close as you can get to experiencing India through films.

She's Gotta Have It (1986) - Perhaps more important than really great, this is still a fun and well made indie that deserves to be seen. It's about those gals who just gotta have more than one man. If you've met the kind, you know how addictive they can be, and also that it's better to run than let yourself stick around long enough to fall in love.

Dark Angel (1990) - Space dealers with mullets coming to Earth to steal heroine in order to produce a rare and pricey alien drug. Yuppie gang is involved. Dolph Lundgren is a cop on a mission to save the planet from the alien threat. Awesome!

Nope (2022) - Jordan Peele finally made a good movie. Defo his best if you ask me. Best to know as little as possible, just go see it.

Zero de Conduite (1933) - More French poetic realism. Jean Vigo's featurette that has a couple of great shots that feel a lot more fresh than they should.

L'Atalante (1934) - More from Jean Vigo and French poetic realism. There's something about Vigo's energy that makes him different. Is it really one of the greatest films of all time? See for yourself.

Red Psalm (1972) - Hungarian philosophical communist musical. Best of its kind for director Miklos Jancso they say. I can't judge as I haven't seen the others, but I'm pretty sure now I'm not going to. Not the perfect choice for your Sunday night watch with a bag of favorite potato chips.

Cairo Station (1958) - Great! Egyptian mix of neorealism and film noir packed into less than 75 minutes. Energetic, fun 75 minutes. Recommended.

If you like the oldies, there's The Blob, (80's remake) Quatermass & the pit, Split Second (Rutger Hauer) Ad Vitam (Immortal), Lifeforce and Hardware. 

most of them are British

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

Death Wish 1974

The Exterminator 1980

...and to cleanse my palette after them...

Carry on Behind 1975

Edited by shukocarl1441996347
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 1:59 AM, Yggdrasil said:

If you like the oldies, there's The Blob, (80's remake) Quatermass & the pit, Split Second (Rutger Hauer) Ad Vitam (Immortal), Lifeforce and Hardware. 

most of them are British

Seen everything but Quatermass & the Pit, Split Second I absolutely adore!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Seen everything but Quatermass & the Pit, Split Second I absolutely adore!

That's fantastic. Alot of people slate the movie or don't understand the humour. I thought it was a brilliant movie myself.

• Like 2

Just finished watching a 70s Japanese tv series called Message from space: Galactic Wars staring none other than Hiroyuki Sanada, who a couple of years later, stared in the film Ninja in the Dragon's den!.

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

Lady Whirlwind/Hapkido (new Blu rays) 1972

Star Trek TMP Directors Edition (New Blu ray) 1979/2022

Carry on Cleo :rofl 1964

Carry on Abroad:rofl 1972

The Battle of the Rover Plate 1956

Edited by shukocarl1441996347
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Duck, You Sucker (1971)

James Coburn uses the line a few times in the film.  This is one of the most underrated films I have seen.....wish they could have come up with a better title.

Giù_la_testa_poster.jpg

Duck-You-Sucker-1-1600x900-c-default.jpg

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
25 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Duck, You Sucker (1971)

James Coburn uses the line a few times in the film.  This is one of the most underrated films I have seen.....wish they could have come up with a better title.

Giù_la_testa_poster.jpg

Duck-You-Sucker-1-1600x900-c-default.jpg

They did...A Fistful of Dynamite or Once Upon a Time, The Revolution (in France)

• Like 1

Scare Package II: Rad Chad's Revenge (2022): A sequel to the 2020 horror-comedy anthology follows up where the first one leads off. Video store clerk "Rad Chad" is dead but he's not going away so easily. At his funeral, the attendees are forced to watch some new "movies" (stories in the anthology) while setting traps for the group as well. Cool stories this time around, great ensemble cast including genre legend Kelli Maroney and new legend Maria Olsen along with original stars Jeremy King (returning as Rad Chad) and Zoe Graham (as original final girl Jessie).

Glass Onion (2022): The sequel to Knives Out in which you don't need to see the original. It's more of a standalone film with Daniel Craig returning as Benoit Blanc, who now is tasked with solving a new murder mystery, this time in Greece and it involves a Elon Musk-like character played by Edward Norton and his buddies, including Kate Hudson, Dave Bautista, Madelyn Cline, and Janelle Monae. Good film with the third act replaying the second act from a different perspective. Rian Johnson was quoted as saying he hates the subtitle "A Knives Out Mystery" so I left it out. 

Death at a Funeral (2007 and 2010 remake): I saw both versions of the comedy about a family funeral gone completely wrong. This is a rarity where I liked BOTH versions equally. Peter Dinklage was hilarious as was Alan Tudyk in the original and James Marsden in the remake as the accidental LSD-tripping boyfriend of one of the cousins. The original is on Tubi and the remake is on Paramount+

Firenado (2023): From the team who is unleashing the soon to be released Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey comes their take on a disaster film where a metrological team test run a device that can control weather and unleash a massive tornado that becomes a "firenado" after it hits and destroys a gas station. At the same time, three robbers, taking advantage of the tornado, plan to rob a mob accountant. All roads cross and it leads to madness. There is a scene where you know it's low budget in which one of the robbers' car breaks down and to show the firenado coming, clearly in the background, a crew member approaches with an emergency road flare. 

• Like 2

Just got through watching American Psycho. It was really good. Very strange and surreal at times. Its a 5/5 for me. Would defiantly recommend it if you don't mind a lot of blood and sexual content. Oh, and I love that the guy that played Batman is called Bateman. lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Just got through watching American Psycho. It was really good. Very strange and surreal at times. Its a 5/5 for me. Would defiantly recommend it if you don't mind a lot of blood and sexual content. Oh, and I love that the guy that played Batman is called Bateman. lol 

Does he have a butler in the film addressing him as “master bateman”?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody (2022) - My wife and I went to see this last night. It was well-acted, but the story was essentially a Cliff Notes version of her adult life, hitting upon all of the important moments, but going into depth on almost nothing.

For example: In one scene, we see Whitney trying to kick Bobby Brown out of her house after learning about one of his dalliances. He gets in her face with the whole "You don't wanna mess with a brotha like me" bit. He then disappears for a good half hour or so and then reappears by her side during her world tour, several years in the future. How did that particular fight end? Did they kiss and make up? Were they estranged for a few years? The movie doesn't tell us.

I wasn't aware of the whole "Whitney was bisexual" thing, but apparently that was a claim made by her long-time friend and manager Robyn in her 2019 book.

Another interesting observation, although I don't know if there is any relevance or if its just coincidence. There are three major male characters in the film: Arista owner and record producer Clive Davis; Whitney's dad, John Houston; and Bobby Brown. As it stands, the two black men are epitomes of "Toxic Masculinity," but Davis is the complete opposite. I wonder if that's simply how Whitney's life played out, or if it was intentional on the part of the writers.

Speaking of Clive Davis, I have since come to see executives and producers in the Entertainment Industry as some of the greediest, horrible human beings in society. So color me surprised to see Clive Davis portrayed as a genuine nice guy who truly cared about Whitney beyond "the bottom line," and who never tried to screw her over, as we generally imagine record execs doing as a matter of habit. Once again, I wonder if he was really like this, or if they gave him a bit of a character makeover so that the film wouldn't be a complete exercise in man-hating.

• Like 1

The Fugitive s1.....in one episode Kimble is given 7k by a greek man , my question then is : hes a fugitive so he cant deposit it in a bank , also I doubt hes gonna carry that much money on his body , esp not in '64 :P

• Like 1

Torso Sergio Martino

Very cool giallo. Awesome locations, eye candy a plenty, pretty good suspense. It also presents men the way they are, truly pathetic 😜 each shot of men has them gazing in awe at women and one of them ends up a deranged killer.

The finale in the house was very good and I was specially surprised by the one on one basher styled kung fu fight scene to end it all.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
On 1/7/2023 at 1:49 PM, DarthKato said:

Have you read the book?  Oh so much more violent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Have you read the book?  Oh so much more violent.

No, but I've heard that it was way more violent and crazy. 

• Like 2