What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Jizzmaster Jerry

The Darrell Brooks trial- I’m still watching stuff on YouTube to make sure I didn’t miss anything, and I think I’ve finally seen this whole trial.  All 100 or so hours of it.  This is the guy in Wisconsin who ran over 67 people in a parade.  The trial was as entertaining as a movie.  I like watching court tv at night some times to see them show highlights from the day’s trials and other crimes that happened recently.  But I can’t watch the trials live during the day.  Way too boring.  But the Darrell Brooks trial was something different.  Crazy stuff happened every day.  He objected to pretty much every question a witness was asked.  Constantly interrupting and trying to delay the trial.  Constantly getting in heated arguments with the judge.   He would ramble and rant every chance he could about any random thing.  In one of his ramblings, after he has already been found guilty, he rambled on for over 2 hours straight.  I’ve never seen anything like this trial before.  Even the OJ trial wasn’t this jaw dropping crazy.  Before the trial started he tried to get a not guilty by reason of insanity.  When he realized that wasn’t going to work he decided to represent himself so he could disrupt the trial as much as possible and get a mistrial.  During the trial he used the “it wasn’t me” defense.  Then out of nowhere in his closing arguments he claimed the gas pedal got stuck, even though he was able to brake when he turned on the street the parade was on, and again the brakes worked just fine when he parked the car and tried to escape the area.  After being found guilty he had to sit there and listen to powerful statements from many of the victims and he sat through all of them rolling his eyes mocking them and doing a little applause after the victim finished speaking.  He never apologized for his actions and never showed any sympathy for the people he killed and injured.  I was glued to the tv and my phone every second the last couple weeks of this trial.  I just had to see the moment when he was convicted to 700 or so years in prison.  Not surprising he yelled at the judge until she finally removed him from the courtroom.  He couldn’t face that moment.  I feel like I’m having a Darrell Brooks type moment here myself rambling on for so long but man this trial got me fired up.  So glad that it is finally over.    I know that he will be trying to make some money selling his story but I’m done with him.  I’ve heard all I needed to from this evil man.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Next of Kin 1982 a well made/directed, classy slow-burning scare flick. Recommended.

Defo recommended, Aussies can sure make a good flick.

• Like 2

Immortal Ad Vitam - A French sci fi movie in English. Genetically modified humans live side by side with Egyptian gods.

Lifeforce with Patrick Stewart  - Basically three humanoid beings are found in space. 

Years ago when I was teenager, I remembered a budget sci fi film set on the moon where they find a humanoid being in a spacecraft which was on the moon. Can't remember what the movie is and I always thought it was Lifeforce, but not. I just watched a trailer with Bruce Campbell in it, and it definitely looks vaguely familiar. That film is Moontrap. Not watched it yet although I've acquired it.

• Like 1

Jizzmaster Jerry
14 minutes ago, WangYu said:

The Northman 2022

Intense… felt atmospherically close to conan the barbarian which is a very good thing.

Was seconds away from commenting on it myself.  An unpredictable movie, which is what I look for.  Nobody is safe from this guy. He kills the bad guys sure, but the other people he kills is a surprise.  And it left me wondering was the main bad guy really bad?  I imagined while watching it that the script supervisor finished perfecting this linear story, then gave it to the director with a big smile on his face.  The director didn’t even look at the script, he took it and shook up the contents just to make sure he was making something random and different.  It’s a cool movie.  I’ll watch it again some time.  The final fight sucked.  But the volcano setting was well done.  

The Last Duel-  very disappointing.  Boring movie with way too much talking.  Skip the first 2 hours and head straight to the final fight.  It’s so good it actually saves the movie.  A long, brutal and exciting fight and as good as any action scene that Ridley Scott’s ever directed.  

• Like 2

Jizzmaster Jerry

Watched Creep 2014 with my mom tonight.  Always felt it’s underrated.  She hated it.  “It was horrible” were her exact words.   I think maybe it’s just too low budget for her.  She tried it at least.  But it got me wondering what if I showed her something really horrifying like Starry Eyes or Inside 2007.  But she’s too nice to do that to her.  I think she’d have nightmares.  

• Like 2

My wife and I went to the São Paulo Cultural Center, where they're having the Phenomena Fest: 10 days of horror, sci-fi and anime films. Tonight we saw a 16 mm film presentation of Nosferatu (1922), complete with a live piano soundtrack. That was pretty special. Interestingly enough, the opening credits are in English--which make no bones about this being a Dracula adaptation--but the Portuguese intertitles were probably taken directly from the German, so the characters are still named Orlock and Hutter and stuff.

• Like 5

shukocarl1441996347

Don't Open Till Christmas 1984. One word - Dreadful.:thumbsdown

The Alien Factor 1978. More smelly cheese.

Edited by shukocarl1441996347
  • Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

The Swarm 1978. I saw this over 40yrs ago and it was awful (and hilarious in equal measure). I just subjected myself to the even longer version (by 40 mins)...god, what was I thinking? If you want to torture someone, show them this and maybe Jaws the Revenge, Michael Caine's two biggest mistakes (and probably paychecks).

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms 1953:smile

Boot Hill 1969. I was looking forward to this being a fan of Hill, Spencer and Strode. What an incoherent mess and Lionel Stander should have been bound and gagged form the 1st minute!:dull

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347

The Return 1980. Average low budget scifi with decent cast. Not that good but I could watch Cybill Shepperd peeling a potato and I'd be happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

shukocarl1441996347

Just watched The Abyss 1989 for the first time. I presume it was the theatrical version but it still felt like a lifetime to get to the end.

Very well made, good cast, almost believable until the end and god, some of that dialogue was extremely corny. Felt a bit Spielbergian at some points and bit of Kubrick's 2001thrown in. I know some think it's a masterpiece but I won't be re-visiting it in a long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Just watched The Abyss 1989 for the first time. I presume it was the theatrical version but it still felt like a lifetime to get to the end.

Very well made, good cast, almost believable until the end and god, some of that dialogue was extremely corny. Felt a bit Spielbergian at some points and bit of Kubrick's 2001thrown in. I know some think it's a masterpiece but I won't be re-visiting it in a long time.

Oh really? I still have the extended dvd version. Can't remember how long the run time of it is, but it's long. I can hold out to watch this stunning movie when the 4k of it is released March 2023.

Did you watch his other films? Like Aliens? True Lies? Dare I say it, Avatar?

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
10 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Oh really? I still have the extended dvd version. Can't remember how long the run time of it is, but it's long. I can hold out to watch this stunning movie when the 4k of it is released March 2023.

Did you watch his other films? Like Aliens? True Lies? Dare I say it, Avatar?

Yes, on the whole I like Cameron's films, maybe I just didn't get it with this one.:unsure:

• Like 1

What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

........You talking to me?

Taxi Driver (1976)

taxi diver poster.jpg

robert-de-niro.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, morpheus said:

You talking to me?

By the way, this isn't an attempt to take anything away from Taxi Driver. I still think Taxi Driver is one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen.

• Like 3

Just got through watching "Better Watch Out(2016)" and I thought it was great.  I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that if you haven't seen it, go watch it. I will say that for me its a 4.5/5. I really didn't think it would be this good. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

By the way, this isn't an attempt to take anything away from Taxi Driver. I still think Taxi Driver is one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen.

Funny you should mention this.  It is one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes.  Well-acted, and takes place in a single setting. 

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

Doctor Jekyll & Sister Hyde 1971, Martine Beswicke:kiss

Django Prepare A Coffin 1968:wink2:

Terminator Dark Fate 2019 (First watch):unsure:

• Like 2

Moonage Daydream (2022) - I am now a Bowie fan.

Pepe le Moko (1937) - My introduction to French poetic realism. Also a proof there are good movies on Netflix, even if you have to spend an hour searching for one.

Warlords of Atlantis (1978) - I know absolutely nothing about British '70s science-fiction movies, so can only say this was a fun watch. Anything with a giant octopus involved should be.

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951) - Romance for the ages. Ava is divine here.

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933) - Financial failure at the time of its release due to interracial relationship portrayed, condemned for Orientalism later on; Chinese general was played by a Swede. Still, this is another brilliant movie from the ever great Frank Capra, ahead of its time. Recommended!

Andrei Rublev (1966) - A masterpiece! Perhaps the best I've seen from Tarkovsky so far. Almost as good as Super Ninja :tongueout

Rocco E I Suoi Fratelli (1960) - Included on Scorsese's 39 foreign films recommendation list, this is a flawed movie that I can't say I share his enthusiasm for. The finale is moving and powerful though. Wish I've seen it in Italian, not in French.

Henry V (1944) - Fell asleep watching this way too many times. Still, an interesting mix of a stage play and a motion picture with a couple of impressive shots.

Aparajito (1956) - Second part in Satyajit Ray's Apu trilogy. I've seen Pather Panchali years ago. Still prefer The Music Room, but Ray's films are really as close as you can get to experiencing India through films.

She's Gotta Have It (1986) - Perhaps more important than really great, this is still a fun and well made indie that deserves to be seen. It's about those gals who just gotta have more than one man. If you've met the kind, you know how addictive they can be, and also that it's better to run than let yourself stick around long enough to fall in love.

Dark Angel (1990) - Space dealers with mullets coming to Earth to steal heroine in order to produce a rare and pricey alien drug. Yuppie gang is involved. Dolph Lundgren is a cop on a mission to save the planet from the alien threat. Awesome!

Nope (2022) - Jordan Peele finally made a good movie. Defo his best if you ask me. Best to know as little as possible, just go see it.

Zero de Conduite (1933) - More French poetic realism. Jean Vigo's featurette that has a couple of great shots that feel a lot more fresh than they should.

L'Atalante (1934) - More from Jean Vigo and French poetic realism. There's something about Vigo's energy that makes him different. Is it really one of the greatest films of all time? See for yourself.

Red Psalm (1972) - Hungarian philosophical communist musical. Best of its kind for director Miklos Jancso they say. I can't judge as I haven't seen the others, but I'm pretty sure now I'm not going to. Not the perfect choice for your Sunday night watch with a bag of favorite potato chips.

Cairo Station (1958) - Great! Egyptian mix of neorealism and film noir packed into less than 75 minutes. Energetic, fun 75 minutes. Recommended.

• Like 2