What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

I watched Opium & the Kung Fu Master (recently released US version) and I must say it was a pretty good movie. I loved the storyline & action classic Tang Chia!!! Then I watched Martial Club another good one.

I watched Butterfly Murders again last night, and it made more sense the second time around. Nice cinematography and a cute girl with a gorgeous smile and some decent action.

I also saw Jimmy Wang Yu in The Invincible Sword last night, a standard Wang Yu actioner, which is to say pretty darn good.

skipsweet

Street Warrior (2008). U.S. TV flick about ex special forces soldier forced into illegal blood fights.

Connected: Hong Kong movie starring Louis Koo evoliving around a phone call. I thought it was a fun movie. End credits says it is based on Cellular which I haven't seen.

kungpowmaster

Last night I watched for the 1st time, Gambling Ghost with Sammo Hung. I have that Sammo Hung set by Videoasia. This movie was very good, in that I like Sammo, and this was very enjoyable and fun to watch. His multiple role playing was very well done, and of course the action scenes are good, and he's a great performer. His sidekick, who is that? I know I saw him in a Chan movie? Yeah, the one were Sammo is Jackies mentally challenged brother.

kingofkungfu2002
His sidekick, who is that? I know I saw him in a Chan movie? Yeah, the one were Sammo is Jackies mentally challenged brother.

Meng Hoi

Monica Haynes

Just watching Chocolate. Talk about girl power...Zen is the bomb! Like the story line too, good Thai vs. Japanese. Especially like the Transvestites (or trannies) they add a nice flavor. First fight was good & believable, as far as her disability, Autism, goes. Now, this next comment is what Linn hated, but I'm gonna say it anyway...because I have taught people with autism, I have to say the 2nd fight, not so much-it appeared Zen was thinking a lot and it would not be how it would happen in life, it would be instinct rather than planning & thought. Yes, I know suspend my disbelief, but I have to be true too...her strongest moments with Autism were in the beginning & props to Yanin for having some very accurate autistic portrayal. There is no way she would've gone after the guy on the train wall-too much thought; the sign fighting too much thought as well as far as the disability goes.

Great tennis racket action with the flies Moom and loved the slow mo fly with the smoke & wing detachment, that was awesome! Tourettes guy was a nice surprise in the fighting. Swords too! no holds barred in this one is there.

Despite my educational analysis, this was a great movie and will watch it again and probably download the music to it too. Choreography was good and there were some beautiful lines in the women fighting scenes. AND yay for making a disability a strength.

WANTED - very silly over the top action flick from last year, starring James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, Angelina Jolie & Terence Stamp.

yes, sure, there's alot of CGI crap, but there's plenty of physical violence & the audacity of some of the scenes made me chuckle happily ;)

Haven't posted here in a bit so....

Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)

At this point, the boys are getting old and redundant. Their early 40s stuff is best.

Brothers Five (1970)

Was just OK. Nothing spectacular. CCP looking cute as ever but Lo Lieh stole the show.

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)

Rewatched last night because of DC's death. Still think final 20 minutes is way too much chatter.

Wild Strawberries (1957)

Ingmar Bergman. Enjoyed first dream sequence but, overall, preferred The Seventh Seal.

Iron Fisted Eagle's Claw (1979)

Chi Kuan Chun and Bruce Liang looking good in so-so indie. The fan subs were hilarious!

Taken (2008)

Liam Neeson has a "very particular set of skills." Superb taut drama.

Hapkido (1972)

Wow. Can't believe I missed this one all these years. Angie/Sammo/Carter. A+!!

ironfistedmonk
Haven't posted here in a bit so....

Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)

At this point, the boys are getting old and redundant. Their early 40s stuff is best.

Brothers Five (1970)

Was just OK. Nothing spectacular. CCP looking cute as ever but Lo Lieh stole the show.

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)

Rewatched last night because of DC's death. Still think final 20 minutes is way too much chatter.

Wild Strawberries (1957)

Ingmar Bergman. Enjoyed first dream sequence but, overall, preferred The Seventh Seal.

Iron Fisted Eagle's Claw (1979)

Chi Kuan Chun and Bruce Liang looking good in so-so indie. The fan subs were hilarious!

Taken (2008)

Liam Neeson has a "very particular set of skills." Superb taut drama.

Hapkido (1972)

Wow. Can't believe I missed this one all these years. Angie/Sammo/Carter. A+!!

LOL I thought this was a great movie, some nice action and the fan subs were good, better if done in a cockney accent you cant!

ironfistedmonk

Ooops forgot to add thoughts on the last film I saw, Chivalry of Conspiracy. Awful pan n scan print, fairly confusing plot up until the last 20 minutes where we get some pretty good action with Damian Lau up against a tough assassin double act before Wong Yuen San lends a hand.

Flight of the conchords - Season 1&2

- This is probably the funniest comedy I've seen in the last few months. Priceless one liners.

Return Of The Tiger

- Personally I thought this was pretty average for a Bruce Li flick. Meh.

Scrubs

- The most recent episode was a choker. Loved it.

Dollhouse[TV series]

latest creation from Buffy creator Joss Whedon.

3 episodes in here in the UK, just starting to get good, but i've heard it's already been axed!! shame :(

masterofoneinchpunch

terse comments on:

Buchanan Rides Alone (1957: **½ or ***/****):

A fun yet flawed western. This film, part of the Ranown cycle*, is often considered the lightest and funniest of that series. It certainly has its laughs and memorable moments, but it also has a labyrinth script (Budd would later state that much of the dialog and script was ad-libbed) that relies too much on coincidence and plot twists.

Randolph Scott plays Tom Buchanan a drifter (a common element of many of the Ranown cycle) from West Texas who rides into Agry a border town between California and Mexico which is run by a corrupt family. After paying his ten dollars for room and board, another 10 dollars for a drink and another 10 dollars for a steak he fights the son, a noted troublemaker, of a prominent politician named Simon Agry. Later the son gets killed by a son of a prominent Mexican leader named Juan de la Vega. Tom intervenes when Juan is getting beat up badly and the sheriff decides that he is also involved with the murder (he is another angry Agry) and soon both will be hanged. Of course, higgledy piggledy ensues as two factions within the family use the son as ransom bait and Tom just keeps putting his nose in everything.

The best scene in the film has L.Q. Jones as Pecos Hill delivering one of the greatest eulogies for a fallen comrade that I have ever heard. The look on Scott's face as he delivers it is quite hilarious.

There are definitely some similarities between the Anthony Mann westerns and the Budd films. Both make excellent use of exterior filming and both have multi-dimensional casting of Mexican characters (and not played by gringos). This film has less interesting antagonists because most (as opposed to The Tall T) are pretty one-dimensional. But both Mann and Budd usually fleshed out interesting and complicated counterparts to their lead character.

* Getting an exact definition of this is a bit annoying, Ranown refers to Ranown Productions which was the production company on several of these Randolph Scott/Budd Boetticher movies (owned by Scott and Harry Joe Brown), but the term has come to mean the whole collaboration effort between Randolph and Budd which was a total of seven films. Many reviews (and extras) of these films have different definitions which can be confusing.

District 13? that's an instant classic!! amazing action.

yesterday watched Colour Of The Truth, starring Anthony Wong, Jordan Chan, Gillian Chung, Patrick Tse & loads of others. great lil flick where the cops are protecting a gangster whose life's at threat, whilst another party seeks revenge on the head cop.

Some more titles....

Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)

Much, much better than Flags of Our Fathers. My Dad fought at Iwo. Would love to have seen his reaction to this film.

Killer Constable (1980)

Combination of CKT, Gwai Chi-Hung (director) and Lee San-Yip (cinematographer) made this quite worthwhile.

The 39 Steps (1935)

Have all of Hitchock's major works. This is still my favorite of his British releases.

The Postman Strikes Back (1982)

Wasn't too crazy about this at first but then...those last few chapters. Great ending!

Battlestar Galactica - Season 2

What can I say that I haven't already about this phenomenal series....

Dirty Dancing (1987)

Okok.. Enough of the laughter already. I got a little thing for Jennifer Grey (old nose only please).

The Great Escape (1963)

Best war flick - ever. I've lost track of the number of times I've watched this.

Just finished Kairo.....

Think I'd like to check this one out.

How did this film fair to its US remake, Pulse?

I imagine I won't be sleeping easily tonight.

Haha. Yeah, had the same feeling after watching White Noise.