What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Deadstream 2022

Excellent premise, got me into it right from the start but then after about 30min The creepyness gets replaced by sillyness borrowing heavily from the evil dead.

Also is it just me or does the lead actor’s screams resemble those of courage the cowardly dog 😁

Either way I had hoped for some seriously spooky shit that would keep me awake this night but that didn’t happen.

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 3

legendarycurry
4 minutes ago, WangYu said:

Deadstream 2022

Excellent premise, got me into it right from the start but then after about 30min The creepyness gets replaced by sillyness borrowing heavily from the evil dead.

Also is it just me or does the lead actor’s screams resemble those of courage the cowardly dog 😁

Either way I had hoped for some seriously spooky shit that would keep me awake this night but that didn’t happen.

Want something disturbing to keep you up at night? Remember the following 100% real horrific thing: Witch From Nepal won the HK film award for best action choreography beating fellow nominees: Royal Warriors, Righting Wrongs, Peking Opera Blues, Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars, and Martial Arts Of Shaolin.:hvb_he_he_he:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, legendarycurry said:

Want something disturbing to keep you up at night? Remember the following 100% real horrific thing: Witch From Nepal won the HK film award for best action choreography beating fellow nominees: Royal Warriors, Righting Wrongs, Peking Opera Blues, Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars, and Martial Arts Of Shaolin.:hvb_he_he_he:

I think I saw that film one time, all kinds of bells are ringing in my head 🤔

Beating righting wrongs, royal warriors and twinkle twinkle is some feat!

• Like 3

Taurus (2022): Colson Baker aka Machine Gun Kelly stars as a musician who has felt the effects of fame to a point where he is planning to write his final song and we are taken on a journey to find inspiration, even when he goes on a down and out binge of vices, notably drugs. Baker does an amazing job at playing a character who comes partly from his own experiences within the industry, even though this is in no way a biopic. 

The Friendship Game (2022): Four friends play a new game that tests their friendship. When one disappears after the game is played, the others investigate and end up with some very shocking discoveries among not only the situation but with each other. Very strange...had to watch it twice to get what's going on. Peyton List and Brendan Meyer make the most and do quite well here.

Nope (2022): Jordan Peele's latest has more good moments, but I couldn't stand Keke Palmer's overacting as female lead Emerald. Daniel Kaluuya was great and it was excellent seeing Michael Wincott (Jeff's brother) return to the fray as a cinematographer who may have an idea to capture the presence that has plagued the area. 

Heartland of Darkness (1992; released 2022): Shelved for 30 years (due to no money for post), Visual Vengeance has just released this film which revolves around a newbie in a small town in Ohio who learns the local church is actually home to a cult of Satanists. It was known as the "lost Linnea Quigley film" with Quigley, an iconic 80s scream queen, having a prominent role in the film. 

American Murderer (2022): Iron Fist co-star Tom Pelphrey gives a very shocking performance as Jason Derek Brown, a suave conman who at the height of being down on his luck, killed a security guard and stole an armored truck, which leads to Brown making the FBI's Most Wanted List in 2004. 

• Like 4

R.I.P.D. 2 (2022) - Inferior sequel to a not so good movie. This time set in the old West. Local sheriff and Joan of Arc are trying to prevent all hell breaking loose. Literally. 

Das Boot (1981) - What to say about this all-timer that hasn't already been said?       U-Boot klassiker.

Professionals for a Massacre (1967) - Definitely not in the conversation about the best of the genre. Fun, but lacking a lot to make my top 20. 

• Like 4

Some of my recent viewings on weeks :

John Wayne's Angel and the bad man 1947

Roy Rogers' The cowboy and the senorita 1940

Gene Autry's The old corral 1936

All three in the same boxset. I enjoyed all of them, and the last two are musical westerns with beautiful songs. There is also a beautiful song in John Wayn's movie, which he directed himself.

• Like 1

Bull 2021

British revenge thriller, not for the squeamish. The leading actor is scary and intense. Supernatural twist, though it is not much of a twist, it was literally the only option left.

Hard to root for characters though, they’re all superbad and not in the James Brown way

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

Häxan (1922) incredible silent film from Sweden on faith, superstition and oppression.

Agreed, one of the best non-comedic silent films out there. 

• Like 2

While digging around upstairs I thought I'd finally give Fight Quest a watch. I downloaded it in 2007 but never watched it haha. Better late than never I guess. Just bought it on DVD for better quality to replace my AVI files.

1668975027285652888924583656242.jpg

• Like 1

Animales Humanos aka Human Animals - Dir. Lex Ortega [2020] (Mexico)

Director Lex Ortega's attempt at a commercial survival horror film and while it had its moments especially the build up but it goes downhill rather quickly. Becomes very pedestrian and the usual horror tropes that are recycled ad nauseum. & tries to be clever in its twist. I didn't think his first real debut, Atroz deserves its reputation but it's still miles better than this effort.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

The Boys (Series 3)

Oh man, that close up of you know what at the hero's secret pleasure hangout was totally unnecessary! :shaking

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pearl (2022) - Ti West does it again. I was worried about how he'd pull off a prequel to and he absolutely nails it. It's a VERY different film. Not a slasher at all. It's more of a character drama that's a slow build to some serious horror. Mia Goth is a fucking powerhouse and holds the film down pretty much by herself. I love how it includes these little nods to X
One of my favourite horror films of year. Possible one of my favourite films of any genre in 2022. Can't wait to see the third film.

Don't Worry Darling (2022) - As milquetoast as they come. A generic and rather dull thriller with a twist that can be seen a mile away. Florence Pugh is doing her utmost to carry the entire thing and she almost pulls it off, but it just doesn't have an pizazz. It's watchable but I can't see anyone coming away with it as a firm fave or anything. It just all feels very tame. Call me a neanderthal if you will but it should have been sexier.

• Like 1