What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

shukocarl1441996347

Some interesting choices up there!

I've only been watching Doctor Who - The Dalek Invasion of Earth (1964) and some eps of The Outer Limits also 1964,

Black Sunday (1977)

Edited by shukocarl1441996347
  • Like 2

Mysterious Circumstance: The Death of Meriwether Lewis, a Rashomon-style film about what could have actually happened to Meriwether Lewis when he apparently died by suicide in 1809 in Tennessee. Two years after his passing, his best friend Alexander Wilson searches for answers and interrogates Robert and Priscilla Grinder, the wife being the last one to see Lewis alive. Pretty interesting film from Clark Richey (making his feature film directorial debut at 56 years old) and doing his research with the help of U.S. historians. Richey shot the film just a few miles from where the real Lewis was found dead. Great cast includes Evan Williams as Lewis, Amye Gousset as Priscilla Grinder, Sonny Marinelli as Robert Grinder, and John Schneider as James Neely, who was the Choctaw Tribe agent who buried Lewis. 

Watched Intruder for the 1st time as well. The film was co-written and directed by Scott Spiegel, the co-writer of the original Evil Dead. It's about a group of supermarket workers who are stocking up overnight for a final sale when they are killed one by one by a mysterious maniac. One of the workers is played by Sam Raimi himself and Bruce Campbell makes a cameo as a detective. This one is on Shudder. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Honestly, I've been binge watching all things kung fu because I'm unemployed and have no leads right now. It's been a struggle, but kung fu movies have been helping me out. When not watching that, I've been watching random youtube videos on SEO and marketing direction. 

• Like 3

The Invitation 2/5

A take on the Dracula story, despite a good performance in the lead role by Nathalie Emmanuel the film itself didn't do much for me, pretty predictable.

The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent 2.5/5

Nic Cage as Nic Cage isn't bad but gets a bit tiresome and even at just over 100 minutes felt too long.

Beast 2.5/5

Idris Elba and kids try to fight off a giant lion in the remote Africa.Servicable but routine.

The Funhouse 4.5/5

Extremely underrated Tobe Hooper classic, looks fantastic on the new shout 4K disc.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 10:44 PM, kungfucorner said:

Honestly, I've been binge watching all things kung fu because I'm unemployed and have no leads right now. It's been a struggle, but kung fu movies have been helping me out. When not watching that, I've been watching random youtube videos on SEO and marketing direction. 

Had a period in my life when kung fu movies helped me keep it together, kept me in balance and provided the will to keep moving forward. Been watching movies all my life, but never felt such connection with any other genre. Still an inspiration and movies I couldn't imagine my life without.

• Like 3

On 9/4/2022 at 10:15 PM, nectarsis said:

tonight its time for a MASTERPIECE 

344464137_images(1).jpeg.39f19fc115c9a84a250c06b1eeb38ab7.jpeg

It's so good! I have it on blu ray, and just have to watch it every now and again for the laughs. It's comedy gold. 

• Like 2

Breezy - (1973) - ”Can’t start the day without that first shot of caffeine”: Clint Eastwood’s third movie as director, sees him take a step back from acting duties. Plot- “Breezy (Kay Lenz) a young, footloose hitch-hiker escapes from a lecherous driver, and takes refuge in the car of Frank Harmon (William Holden). He’s a divorced, middle aged, real estate agent. The pair don’t see eye to eye when they come across an injured dog, but somehow the pair come to forge an unusual relationship, against all conventional expectations.

- ” Doesn’t it bother you, to be saying all this to a perfect stranger”
- “Are you perfect?”

This gentle age gap love story written by Jo Hiems, wasn’t one of Clint Eastwood biggest box-office successes. The MPAA gave the film a restrictive R-Rating, due to some very brief nudity. Breezy is not the kind of love story, that sells itself purely on racy love scenes. It’s a quirky low-key film, that focuses mostly on the two main characters developing relationship and little else. Both William Holden & Kay Lenz’s character learn a lot from each other. It was one of Eastwood’s first attempts at making something outside of his public cinematic image and his own personal comfort zone. “I think I said to Clint, or maybe he said to me,” producer Bob Daley recalls, “‘It won’t make a dime and I don’t care; let’s do it” – Clint Eastwood A Biography by Richard Schickel.

“Take me to see the sunrise”

Filmed between November & December 1972, across nine locations in and around California including Topanga & Laurel Canyon. Where musicians such as The Doors, Joni Mitchell, Neill Young and more used to live and sometimes record songs during the late 1960’s. The cinematography by Frank Stanley (The Eiger Sanction), has to be viewed on a large screen to be fully appreciated. In particular the sequence where Frank, takes Breezy to see the sunrise over the ocean for the first time. The films soundtrack takes a nod to female singer songwriter’s who where very popular at the time. Kay Lenz is great in her big screen debut as the carefree counter culture girl Breezy. Who’s happy go lucky young outlook on life, chisels away at the hardened, older and more jaded Estate Agent. Played equally well by veteran actor William Holden. One of them has all the wealth but remains unhappy, while the other is penniless but content.

“Does it follow you around all the time, that black cloud over your head?”

Even if the story and its slower pace are not for you, it’s caught the look of early 1970’s Hollywood better than any recreation can. Capturing the cars, clothes, houses and styles in all their highs and lows. The script features a lot of references to the older characters, talking the younger generation down. The clever script shows how William Holden character is slowly forced to re-consider his outlook on his own life. Jo Hiem’s script is both comical, sad and at times thought provoking. Along with Clint Eastwood direction, the age gap love story doesn’t come across as just some sleazy angle to sell the story.

“Yes sir, this is the era of the ugly”

Late veteran Hollywood actor William Holden was Eastwoods one and only choice for the role of an aging este agent. He made his debut in Prison Farm (1939), with his last role being in S.O.B (1981). He and his wife Stephanie Power’s lived in Kenya, where they were the first people to open an animal reserve to help the Islands wildlife. Kay Ann Lenz was no stranger to acting, having appeared in T.V shows since the age of fourteen. Compared to Holden she was only just starting out, but the actress more than holds her own on-screen. “I had so little experience I couldn’t even hit the marks, but what a kind guy William Holden was, and what a very nice man Clint was.” He granted her veto power over her nude scenes; unless she approved a shot, he would not include it in the final print. She also appreciated Holdens gentlemanliness in their love scenes. When she was obliged to disrobe, he kept his eyes riveted on hers”.

“Breezy, as bad as bad can be, you seem to find something good in it, you’d probably find something good in Atilla the Hun”

It’s said the Eastwood has a cameo in the film. As an extra in a white jacket leaning over a balustrade, when Breezy and Frank go for a walk along the waterfront of the Fiji Way, Marian Del Ray shopping complex. One sure reference to the director, is when the couple go to see High Plains Drifter at the local cinema. Breezy is not your typical movie and one Id recommend to Clint Eastwood completists. Or anyone looking for a love story that breaks the norms and expectation’s, of the more sensational and less daring, production line Hollywood romances. Special mention goes to actors Marj Dusay, Joan Hotchkis, Roger C.Carmel, Shelly Morrison and Jamie-Smith Jackson in supporting roles.

“Your doing strange things to my mind”

• Like 4

Finished watching the netflix biopic series about serial killer jeffrey dahmer

Watched the montage about david bowie, moonage daydream in theaters. A psychedelic whirlwind of footage and flashing pictures and lights. Want to go grab the blu ray now

• Like 4

I have started season 4 of Bates Motel. That guy that plays Norman does a great job. I don’t miss Anthony Perkins at all.

Vera Farmiga is wonderful in it too. 

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 3

Jizzmaster Jerry

The Tough Ones 1976- took a chance with this one.  I’m not a huge fan of Umberto Lenzi.  Most of his movies I’ve seen are bad-average.  A few good ones.  Spasmo is my favorite.  The cd soundtrack included got me to pull the trigger on The Tough Ones.  And it’s a good movie.  And the soundtrack is good.  A win win.  The special features look ok but a bit light.  Only about 10 hours of special features heh.  And a booklet, reversible cover, cd soundtrack, and an attractive embossed slipcover.  It’s ok I guess heh heh ha. This is my second purchase from Grindhouse Releasing, and I couldnt be more impressed.  I just added a bunch of their titles to my wish list of future purchases.  I really hope they add a kung fu movie one day to their obscure movie catalog.  Maybe something like Sleeping Fist, or Ninja Holocaust, or 100s of other kung fu flicks that deserve an ultra deluxe release that Grindhouse provides.  

• Like 3

I love Rambo: First Blood.  In my eyes, one of the best action movies of all time, the storyline is great, the acting and characters work well, and the action is good.

• Like 2

Maneater 2022

😖

The curse of the cat people 1944(?)

sequel to cat people. Totally different vibe, more of a Disney effort. Great atmospheric shots, good acting but…tame

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2

Crackerjack (1994) 

Starring: Thomas Ian Griffith

Synopsis: A cop gone over edge mentality, after his family are killed in a mafia hit.  On holiday, he happens to end up at the same resort as the Mafia boss and hitman are.  
Very much a Die Hard rip off, with East German assassins, a building full of hostages, lots of explosions.

2 out of 5 

Edited by weier78
  • Like 2

legendarycurry
4 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Full Contact (1992)

Ringo Lam directs Chow Yun Fat.  Goodness, its been 30 years.  Ann Bridgewater looks hot, Simon Yam was....convincing in his role.

full contact.jpg

full contact poster.jpg

Favorite Ringo movie, favorite Chow movie and one of my all-time favorite top 250 films of all time if I made my own IMDB list equivalent. Have the poster framed, my version has just the title and the chow image with no credits, it is in storage though.

• Like 3

Lots'a streaming....

The Last Ship (TV Series 2014–2018)
Compelling drama about a naval destroyer during a pandemic.

The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019)
A charming, modern-day Huck Finn odyssey.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)
Every year, me & the kids watch. You'll get 'em next year Linus.

Man on a Ledge (2012)
Certainly kept me entertained.

Mr. Harrigan's Phone (2022)
Decent little horror drama with Donald Sutherland.

Cobra Kai (season 5)
Continues to be a great show but I hope they end it before it starts to suck.

Super Bowl XLIII (2009)
The way my Steelers are playing this year, it was time to break out the old SB discs.

Moon Knight (2022)
By far the-very-best Marvel series ever. Yes, better than DD, Punisher, you name it. This blew me out of the water. And I've never read a single MK comic. Give Oscar Isaac an award for this.

• Like 3

Halloween ends 

Pfff what was that. I understand trying out new plots but it is too far fetched and you just know beforehand that hardcore Myers are not going to agree with it. 
At this point just stop it or go back to basics and find a simple plot and focus on suspense rather than new angles or gore

Terrifier 2

The finale took a bit too long and was not super rewarding or special after what we got before it all which I thought was brilliant, simple but effective and shocking.
The acting was pretty mediocre bar the leading girl but it was infinitely better than halloween ends.

castle falls

Scott Adkins is always fun to watch imo though his fight scenes tend to be repetitive and too similar to his other movies. Still a decent watch with a decent script taken down by cardboard villains.

Dolph Lindgren wears some great glasses in this, in his fight scene with Scott he takes many blows to the head and his glasses didn’t move an inch 😗

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WangYu said:

Halloween ends 

Pfff what was that. I understand trying out new plots but it is too far fetched and you just know beforehand that hardcore Myers are not going to agree with it. 
At this point just stop it or go back to basics and find a simple plot and focus on suspense rather than new angles or gore

Feel the same. They even declared that the 2018 movie was going to be the last of the whole franchise so that's what they should've done instead of craving for more success and money.

On the bright side, the ending in the 2018 movie left things open for interpretation, meaning that it's easy to just skip the crappy sequels.

• Like 4

Missing in action 3

They just don’t make em like this anymore. Simple plots, non stop action, good pacing, great sound effects and well staged action scenes ( explosions and stuff). For me the best in the MIA trilogy. This is at times pretty shocking as well. 
Well done Chucky… sorry … I mean Chuck!

• Like 4