What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

NoKUNGFUforYU

Just saw The Fall (2022) very derivative but suspenseful just the same and stomach churning heights.  I'm scared of heights so it freaked me out.

• Like 3

Rambo: First Blood - (1982) - "God didnt create Rambo, I did": When ex special forces and Vietnam veteran John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone), visits a small North American town to see the last surviving member of his platoon. He is only met by prejudice and intolerance. When tough formidable local Sherriff Will Teasle (Brian Dennehy), refuses to let Rambo stay in his small sleepy logging town. A cutthroat razor trigger’s his severe PTSD, sparking off a carnage filled rampage. As the country he once fought for, pursues him across the cold, bare winter landscape.

“Is there any law against me getting something to eat around here?”
“Yeah, me”

During the opening scenes, there is a symbolic and very ironic town sign that reads ‘Gateway to Holiday land, welcome to Hope’. Brian Dennehy is fantastic as the Sheriff, who take his law too far this time. He is not painted as being an all-bad man, he is very similar to Gene Hackman’s character in Unforgiven (1992). He believes he is doing the right thing by keeping, vagrants like Rambo off his streets. Only there is more to Rambo than just being a violent vagrant who is looking to cause trouble. In the novelization, Teasel is a Korean war veteran. Something the movie did not choose to include in the final cut. The late Brian Dennehy has some of the biggest natural shoulder’s I have seen on-screen. The guy looks like Grizzly Adams, minus the big beard and vintage hunting attire.

“Damn it, this boy is hard to get a hold of”

Joan Chapmans editing and Ted Kotcheffs focused direction, keeps the films pace ticking along nicely. When compared with other movies in the series, the first one is low key. It is less about gung-ho action and heroics, and more about the long-term psychological effects that war has on people. There one death in the whole movie and it was done in self-defense, not cold-blooded murder. Sylvester Stallone was still in top physical shape from his then last picture, Rocky 3. It was this look, that helped to shape the 1980’s edition, of the super soldier character.

“In town you’re the law, out here it’s me”

The films pace really picks up, as Rambo flees his captors in the small prison sells where he is being held. A cutthroat razor is unwisely flashed near his face, like showing a red rag to bull. Not sure how they would have shaved the guy, by pinning him down this way. My mum was trained to use one, during her days as a trainee hairdresser in the 1960’s. Practicing on foam covered balloons, until you could shave one without making it pop. She stills own the ones her grandad used, during his time in the trenches in the artillery division. There the sharpest blades I’ve ever seen in my life, despite being a hundred years old now. Getting back on topic, Jerry Goldsmiths rousing score kicks in perfectly. As the story’s hero, grabs an unsuspecting stranger from a dirt bike and heads into the hills. Look out for a cinema screening The Godfather (1971) in one shot, a movie Sylvester Stallone once auditioned for.

“I’m going to get that son of a bitch, and nail that Congressional Medal of Honor to his kidney”

Shot mostly in the gorgeous Fraser Valley, in Canada British Columbia, between November 1981 and April 1982. The films star rides around in a vest and t-shirt. It’s not surprising, that Stallone came up with the idea, of having his character quickly cut up a poncho. Made up from some old tarpaulin that’s hanging around an old logging site. Which he said stopped him from freezing to death, while they shot during the coldest months of the year. The weather, really helps to bring out the films brooding atmosphere.

- “You’re the last of an elite group, don’t end it like this”
- “Back there I could fly a gunship, I could drive a tank, I was in charge of million-dollar equipment, back here I can’t even hold a job parking cars”

First Blood’s screenplay by Michael Kozell & William Sackhelm, was based on a 1972 novel written by David Morrell. Sylvester Stallone added some re-writes of his own, to a script that had been passed around Hollywood since the early 70’s. Going through ten directors, and about twenty different leading actors from Robert Redford to Robert De-Niro. The original story was much darker, and leaned more towards a horror movie vibe with Rambo being a villain rather than a hero. Stallone felt this was too dark and portrayed veterans too badly. Instead, he wanted to put the focus on the bad effect the government and societies rejection had on veteran soldiers during the 1970’s. Attacking the very people who had once risked their own lives to defend their country. Rambo is originally killed by Col. Trautman, but the ending was re-shot after test audiences reacted badly to the intended final scenes.

“We were in this bar in Saigon and this kid comes up, this kid carrying a shoe-shine box. And he says "Shine, please, shine!" I said no. He kept asking', yeah, and Joey said "Yeah." And I went to get a couple of beers, and the box was wired, and he opened up the box, fucking blew his body all over the place. And he's laying there, he's fucking screaming. There are pieces of him all over me”

The production had been plagued with many problems, filmed during one of the harshest Canadian winters was just one of them. A whole truck with $50,000 worth of guns was stolen, and never made to the set. In a mystery that still remains unsolved to this day. Kirk Douglas walked off the set, forcing the producers to hire Richard Crenna for the role instead. The first rough cut came in at over two hours and many people involved with the production, felt it had turned into a trainwreck. Many scenes were cut or shortened, to help improve the pacing and improve the overall picture. The bike/police car chase was originally played out for much longer. Flashback scenes were also removed, including actress Suzee Pai scene set in a Vietnamese brothel. Another omitted scene, see’s Rambo being driven out of a local diner.

“Don’t look at me, look at the road, that’s how accidents happen”

Look out for a young David Caruso one of the more level headed young deputies, he would go onto star in one of the many popular C.S.I shows. Special mention goes to actor Jack Starrat, as the hate driven bullying cop Galt. Hat’s off to stunt coordinator Conrad E.Pamisano and his extensive stunt team. For bringing the story’s many dangerous action set pieces to life on-screen. Many of the cast and stunt crew were injured while filming the more physical sequences. Knife maker Jimmy Lyle, was hired to make the main character survival tool of choice. With a few added extras in its handle, that had not been used in a movie before. Solid performances all round, Rambo Fist Blood remains one of the best action movies of the 1980's. If you read this far into my long winded ramble, thanks for reading.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Men (2022) - A lot of people dismissed this one as "elevated horror" twaddle and if you're the casual movie watched, you might just hate it. I like a film I can dive into though. A film with themes and imagery that aren't explained outright. Men is a dark and rich horror movie that's both scary and incredibly layered.
Harper, whose husband recently died, goes to the country to find solitude for a while. But there, she meets for more than the calm she expected. I'd recommend going into this one blind but with an open mind.
The basic theme isn't that hard to work out. Men are bad. Or at least male toxicity is bad. But there's much more to it, including stuff about the Green Man that I simply didn't get at all.

But Men is incredibly. I enjoyed it massively. It's scary, beautiful to look at and offers a lot to be digested. If you hate it, I kind of get it. But this was right up my alley.

• Like 2

I’m watching Genndy Tartakovsky’s primal animated series

It’s fantastic

Animated tv series are starting to become my new favorite media to watch. They’re never longwinded, perfectly paced short episodes (around 20 to 25 min). Goes to show how much you can tell on very short time.

As a great barbarian type of media fan this show ticks all the boxes for me. Little to no dialogue, raw emotions, violence, adventure and a bit of the supernatural here and there.

• Like 2

De Voortrekkers (Winning a Continent): This 1916 film is the first locally-produced film made in South Africa. It's a silent film that depicts the events leading up the 1838 Battle of Blood River, where an outnumbered band of Afrikaners defeated an army of Zulu tribesmen after a peace treaty between the two factions were broken over the territory that would today be known as Kwa-Zulu Natal, where Durban is located. Good piece of film history and even shows temporarily peace between the groups before the battle. The film is on YouTube and runs 53 minutes. 

• Like 3

Serpico - (1973) - “Before it’s all over they’ll find you face down in the East-river”: Young stoic New York policeman Frank Serpico (Al Pacino), soon discovers that honesty is not expected to be part of his new job. He endures scorn and mistreatment from his fellow cops while attempting to perform his job with integrity. Realistic, authentic crime film that was one of the first movies to expose the massive corruption within a Police department. Based on the 1972 book by Peter Maas, Waldo Scott’s screenplay was then shortened and restructured by Norman Wexler.

- “Guess who just got shot? Serpico”
- “Think a cop, did it?”
- “I know six cops said they’d like to”

This classic tense two-hour story, is grittier than a king-sized sand pit. Shot on the streets of New York without the use of soundstages, the superb naturalistic performances really in nicely fit with this real-life story. Director Sidney Lumet, was brought up in New York and knew the city very well. Then first-time producer and former acting manager Martin Bregman, was someone who had also been brought up on the same tough streets. During the making of this picture, they shot in nearly every borough in the city. The whole production was shot and edited within four and half months, for a Christmas 1973 release in U.S cinemas. Director Sidney Lumet said he liked to film single takes for as many shots as possible. Saying the sense of urgency and speed of the production, helped to create some of the on-screen tension Al Pacino’s character was feeling. The actor also spent a lot time hanging around with Frank Serpico, to get to him know on a more personal level. Finding out about his counter culture ideas, and how these mixed with his beliefs about the establishment and law enforcement.

“Officer Serpico reporting, Sir”
“That fucking thing on your lip? it goes. And get a haircut”
“Er…Sir?”
“That’s an order, you like an asshole with dentures”
“Do I have the right to appeal”

He doesn’t dress or look like a regular cop, which is heavily emphasized in the movie. His character beliefs that the police force is out of touch, and that undercover policeman were too easy to spot. In one scene it shows he’s not accepted at a hip party, because of his profession. While at the same time he isn’t accepted at work for the way he looks and dresses. Martin Bregman said in an interview, that the real Frank Serpico was unlike anyone he’d ever met before. A truth Sayer who risked his own life in order to protect others while staying true to his honest beliefs. He has been born and raised in Brooklyn New York, and served two years as an infantryman in the U.S Army. Spending two years of his service stationed in South Korea. This is not covered in the screen version of his life.

“You and me in one Batmobile and we will clean up this city”

Corruption can be found wherever there are people and large amounts of money. The story mostly takes place during the late 60’s, with the main character living in Greenwich Village. Which was the center of the alternative/artistic movement in New York at the time. Not the kind of place you would expect to find a Police officer in those days. Greek born composer Miki Theodorakis’s (Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrells) melancholy, Italian inspired musical score fits and adds to the film’s mood perfectly.
“Look what it is. It’s a potato factory, is what it is, and I have to have some…potatoes come out, potatoes come out”
There’s veritable list of supporting actors among the extensive cast, here are a just a few of them), Cornelia Sharpe (Leslie), Jack Kehoe (Tom Keough) John Randolph (Sidney Green). Special mention goes to actress Barbera Eda Young in her movie debut as Laurie. Note that when her character first meets Frank Serpico, E lucevan le stelle from Giamomo Puccinis opera Tosca plays in the background. Which according to opera historians deals with themes of corruption. Frank Serpico was also fan of opera music in real life. Tony Roberts helps to lighten the films serious mood at times, as one of Serpico few friends Bob Blair.

“BCI never had a weirdo cop before”

Serpico remains one of the best movies of all time, even if it’s been copied so many times since its release. The cast and crew delivered something fresh and new for the time, and raised the bar pretty high for the films that followed it. Al Pacino gives one of his best motion picture performances, in what was his first real starring role. If you enjoy watching 70’s cinema, then you can’t go wrong with seeking this movie out. Just don’t expect a flash bang action movie, this gripping film aimed for realism rather than big action set pieces.

• Like 5

Batman TAS 30 anniversary......watched "Eternal Youth" , good episode (Alfred goes to a spa but something is fishy there.....)

Blow Up (1966) 4/6 , not my cup of tea but not a bad movie......fashion photographer running around , something about a possible murder and a wth bizarre ending

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 3

Thunderbolt & Lightfoot - (1974) - John Thunderbolt Doherty (Clint Eastwood), is a former thief whose razor-sharp wits and steely nerves made him a master of his profession, but he’s about to re-enter the criminal world with a new partner: Lightfoot (Jeff Bridges), a brash young drifter whose energy and exuberance give the veteran a new outlook on life. After forming an uneasy alliance with Thunderbolts former partners Red Leary (George Kennedy) & Eddie Goody (Geoffrey Lewis), they launch a scheme that will test the limits of their endurance… and the power of their friendship. Their target, the seemingly impossible Montana Armored Depository.’

- “People walk into these banks with paper sacks, fill 'em with money and walk out. Anybody can do it.”
- “Bullshit. The newest bank vaults have walls of reinforced concrete five feet thick, backed by six inches of steel. The vault door is stainless steel-faced. It's an inch and a half of cast steel, another 12 inches of burn-resisting steel, and another inch and a half of open-hearthed steel... A vault door has 20 bolts, each an inch in diameter. Eight on each side, two top and two bottom. This holds the door into a 16-inch steel jamb set in 18 inches of concrete. It's crosshatched by steel bars running both vertical and horizontal. This door is precision-made so you can't pour nitro between the door and the vault. If that isn't enough, there's microphones, electric eyes, pressure-sensitive mats, vibration detectors, tear gas, and even thermostats that detect the slightest rise in temperature. Still interested in banks? “
- “I *knew* you weren't a preacher!”

Fun, gritty and at times dark buddy road movie written & directed by Michael Cimino (The Deer Hunter). Cimino had worked on the script for Magnum Force (1972), and impressed Clint Eastwood enough to land this job and be allowed to have more control over the picture. Despite putting on an Oscar nominated performance in the final version. With Jeff Bridges charismatic turn, as the fast-talking lady’s man/hustler who just wants a friend. The actor called up the director the night before shooting began, saying he wasn’t able to play a character this cool on-screen. Which you would never have guessed after watching his performance here.

- “You got blue eyes, all great race champions have blues eyes, that’s a fact”
- “And all preachers drink like fish, that’s another fact”

One of the reasons Bridges shined so well on-screen, is because both him and Eastwood know when to let the other shine. Neither actor is trying to out stage the other, according to Richard Schickel Clint Eastwood biography, Michael Cimino asked Clint to reign in his performance. The two actors have a genuine chemistry, and they go down with all many other quick-witted duos from the cinematic past. The same can be said of character actors George Kennedy & Geoffrey Lewis, who steal some of movie’s scenes without even trying. The pair manage to create an odd mix of humor and violent tendencies.

“Excuse me, I don’t mean to be forward but we’d like to exchange cars with you, so the faster you get out, the better it’ll be for your ass”

When the angry aptly named Red Leary & his more mild-mannered friend Goody take up a day job as ice cream vendors. There’s a scene where a young suburban kid, corrects them on their route and tells them he prefers a rival company’s ice cream. In frustration Leary says “Hey kid, go fuck a duck”. The scene had to be filmed several times, because George Kennedy, Clint Eastwood and the whole crew were laughing so hard. Geoffrey Lewis (Double Impact, Salem's Lot) as Goody, is part clown part quick minded criminal. His daughter Juliette Lewis would later become a singer and actor in her own right. The films action scenes were staged by Buddy Van Horn, who would go onto direct the Clint Eastwood comedy Pink Cadillac (1989).

- “Slightly advanced, isn’t he?”
- “The guy’s a basket case, he’s got the exhaust in here”

The story is said to be loosely based on the film Captain Lightfoot (1955) directed by Douglas Sirk, about two Irish highwaymen Captain Thunderbolt & Captain Lightfoot who try to raise movie for their Irish revolutionary cause. Note that Eastwood character is given the Irish family name of Doherty. The twenty-millimeter Oerlikon cannon featured in the story, was used an anti-air craft or anti-tank weapon during World War 2. Two of the characters are Korean war veterans, which explains why they familiar with using this kind of weaponry. Only its not there to be used as weapon, but just as a tool of the trade.

“Somewhere in this country, there’s a little old lady with $79.25 cents, the five cents are a buffalo nickel, if she cashes in her investment, whole thing’ll collapse, General Motors, the pentagon, the two-party system, the whole shebang”

Filmed in multiple locations across the knock-out Montana scenery, all the bars and towns are real locations and not soundstages. It gives the film an authentic looks it still retains, despite some parts looking more dated. As with any Eastwood movie from this 70’s, all the main characters drink Olympia Beer. Car fans, look out for a 1973 Plymouth Fury III and a striking 1973 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, the latter of which belonged to Eastwood at the time. This movie has left a long impression on me, since viewing it as a young teenager many moons ago. I had my friend buy me the film on VHS, because I wasn’t anywhere near 18 at the time. It's essential pacy viewing for any fans of unapologetic 1970’s cinema. Special goes to actors Dub Taylor, Catherine Bach (Dukes of Hazzard), Bill McKinney, Jack Dobson and songwriter/composer Paul Williams. Who's fitting song 'Where Do I Go From Here' plays over the movies final credits.

“Remember what I said. John and me go back a long way. But you don't mean nothin' to me, understand? Nothin”

• Like 5

I am digging Visual Vengeance, the sister label of Wild Eye Releasing. They specialize in shot-on-video released from the 80's to the mid 2000s. Their latest came out today, an Evil Dead inspired tale of two construction workers who must take on their fellow builders when they learn one of them has read the Necronomicon and has become possessed to become a homicidal killer. Plenty of blood and gore, great shots of body parts coming to life (and for it being a SOV lo-fi film, the Cousins know how to frame shots so it looks good and not obivously bad).

VV_SlaughterDayWrap3D.jpg

• Like 4

Just got through watching "Prisoners of the Ghostlands(2021)". Easily one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. Not one of my favorite Nic Cage films, but it was okay. I liked the characters, the world, and it had some funny/entertaining parts. Honestly, it felt like it could of been a part of the Mad Max world, with the post apocalyptic world and strange characters(Even Nic Cage is dressed in a similar leather outfit through most of it).  So I think I'll probably give it a 3/5. It was a fun movie, but it didn't really blow me away like "Mandy" and "Willy's Wonderland" did. 

• Like 2