What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

7 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm trying to catch up on a lot of classics I've missed over the years so this morning I say down to a first-time viewing of 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Judge me all you want but this film is an absolute chore to get though. It's well made. I'll give it that

Visually speaking, it is magnificent. But yeah, it's long. The LSD light show during the final segment goes on forever. Now you need to watch The Green Slime, made the same year, to see the something the polar opposite in special effects.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I wonder how well they got along while filming the sequel, considering they have a failed marriage as baggage...unless they actually separated amicably, as some couples claim to do.

From my understanding, Meir and Camille divorced amicably. She would later marry Sidney Luft in 1993 and stayed married until he died in 2005. 

I saw a new anime film, The Laws of the Universe: The Age of Elohim. It's pretty much a meshing of faith-based story meshed with sci-fi anime...think if Ulysses 31 meets Robotech/Macross in the battle of good vs. evil on Earth 150 millions years ago. I enjoyed it for what it was. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Oh, it looks like I've only seen the remake and the sequel to the remake. I'm going to try and squeeze Deja Vu in either today or tomorrow, if I can. Is it as exploitational as the first?

It's pretty brutal from my understanding, but what's interesting is that when I spoke to Maria Olsen, who played villain Becky Stillman, she mentioned that Jamie Bernadette (who plays Camille Keaton's daughter) rallied to Meir Zarchi that if she had to get naked for the film, why couldn't the guys? He thought it was a good idea so we get a taste of a gender reversal of a horror trope. And when I spoke to Jamie, she did confirm that because she felt the female gaze should be allowed in the genre as well. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

I remember I was a kid when I watched the original “ I spit on your grave” with my parents. Me traumatized? No way! 😃

I like space odyssey though the ending is indeed longwinding and head scratching, everything that comes before it is fabulous imo. The opening with the apes is goosebump worthy, the soundtrack is elegant, HAL is creepy. 
It says something that the film still looks stunning and realistic, especially compared to the space movies that came before this, it is night and day!

I personally can’t sit through Tarkovsky films except Andrei Rublev.

• Like 2

Super Ninja
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Judge me all you want but this film is an absolute chore to get though.

That's how I felt about Tarkovsky's Solaris the second time I watched it, and I kept telling everyone it's my favorite movie of his before that. I wanted to tear my skin off.

I'd advise skipping Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. If you tought 2001 was a chore to sit through, you best stay away from this one.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
3 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

That's how I felt about Tarkovsky's Solaris the second time I watched it, and I kept telling everyone it's my favorite movie of his before that. I wanted to tear my skin off.

I'd advise skipping Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. If you tought 2001 was a chore to sit through, you best stay away from this one.

I've never been a huge fan of Kubrick in general. I've only really liked Full Metal Jacket, though I hope to watch The Shining tomorrow and revisit Eyes Wide Shut in the future.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

After discussing it in this thread, I watched I Spit On Your Grave 2 this afternoon. The sequel to the remake; not the sequel to the original. It's like Hostel...but with rape. It's up to you to determine whether that's a good thing or bad things.
It's certainly less thrilling than the original remake and ends up being quite boring after the initial nastiness is out of the way. They try and spice some up with some pretty gnarly ball torture late in the game but it's too little, too late.

I'd recommend skipping this one.

• Like 2

Super Ninja
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I've never been a huge fan of Kubrick in general. I've only really liked Full Metal Jacket, though I hope to watch The Shining tomorrow and revisit Eyes Wide Shut in the future.

Loved the first half, I wish they never left the boot camp. I was kinda disappointed after that as it turns into your typical war movie.

As a Stephen King fan I had to watch The Shining even though it is a loose adaptation as I understand, never got to reading the novel. I'd say it's one of those movies that you just should see.

I remember liking Paths of Glory that is in the 1001 Movies you must see before you die book.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, Super Ninja said:

As a Stephen King fan I had to watch The Shining even though it is a loose adaptation as I understand, never got to reading the novel. I'd say it's one of those movies that you just should see.

The Shining is planned for tomorrow as long as work is slow.

• Like 2

Kaalgat Karel (Meg Rickards, 2021): This Afrikaans comedy is the equivalent of an Adam Sandler movie, both wild and wacky and sometimes heartwarming at the right moments. It's about a viral streaker (Francois Jacobs) who after an accident, falls for the paramedic (Last Ones Out's Christia Visser) who brings him to the hospital. However, she ends up in a relationship with a cosmetic surgeon (Slumber Party Massacre 2021's Eden Classens) and yet, the paramedic's young daughter seems more to like our hero (who after getting to know her and become friends with her gives up streaking until his heart is broken). Meanwhile, our hero's bestie (Schalk Bezuidenhout, who looks like a South African 1970s Donald Sutherland...and is a comedian) falls for and ends up with the paramedic's bestie. I really enjoyed the film. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Stuck with Kubrick and watched The Shining (1980) this morning. I'm treating this as a first-time watch since the last time I saw it I was about 11 years old and I don't remember a single thing about it apart from bloody elevator doors.
Simply put, this film's a masterpiece and one of the greatest horror movies of all time. It's everything you might want from a horror movie: it's terrifying, creepy, well acted and, at times, flat out weird. I feel like there's a lot to unravel in The Shining but not enough to ruin the movie for those that don't want to unravel it. There's mystery but not enough to lead to confusion.
Considering it's 2 1/2 hours long, it flies by. I could have easily watched another 45 minutes. The first act sets the scene and then the tension steadily increases until we're hit with the fantastic final act.

While the "big" moments are universally loved ("Here's Johnny!"), I loved the smaller moments. Especially Jack's chats with the barman, Lloyd. They're both creepy and very human at the same time. Great stuff.

I'm a big fan of this one and it may now sit on my top ten horrors of all time list. For example, I know many people consider The Thing to be the best horror ever made. I actually prefer this to that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Stuck with Kubrick and watched The Shining (1980) this morning. I'm treating this as a first-time watch since the last time I saw it I was about 11 years old and I don't remember a single thing about it apart from bloody elevator doors.
Simply put, this film's a masterpiece and one of the greatest horror movies of all time. It's everything you might want from a horror movie: it's terrifying, creepy, well acted and, at times, flat out weird.

I know the movie has its fair share of detractors, but I really enjoy it, too.

I think you'll most agree with this guy's review: http://www.1000misspenthours.com/reviews/reviewsn-z/shining1980.htm

• Like 2

Coliseum1972

I read about serial killer Dennis Nilsen , sometimes reality can be as scary as a movie :sweating

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

The Creeping Flesh

Dracula (Jack Palance version)

Dracula (Jess Franco)

Dracula's Great Love  

Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks  ;-P

The Crazies (Romero version)

All the Presidents Men

Three Days of the Condor

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Grand Theft Auto – (1977) – Ron Howard (The Shootist, American Graffiti, A Beautiful Mind) made his directorial debut aged just 23, with this entertaining low budget comedy road movie produced by Roger Corman. Co-Wrote by Ron with his father and the movies associate producer Rance Howard. With future director Joe Dante (Gremlins, Piranha) on board as the editor. It’s like a 1970’s live action destruction derby version of the Wakey Races cartoon, with added romance. With enough zany characters to fill a double decker bus. “Will young runaway couple Paula Powers (Nancy Morgan) & Sam Freeman (Ron Howard) get their spring wedding in Vegas. Before two mad sets of parents, a jealous boyfriend, four private detectives, two bounty chasing mechanics and a car stealing priest intercept them first?.

“All kinds of nuts are going to go after a reward like that”

Despite looking dated now, this movie still a holds lot of manic fun for fans of low budget cinema. It falls into the late 70’s chase movie genre, sparked off by Gone in 60 Seconds (1974). The same year Grand Theft Auto hit cinemas; Hollywood released its own big budget chase film Smokey & The Bandit. With one of Hollywood’s biggest box office stars of the time Burt Reynolds. Ron Howard and his team managed to deliver a decent movie, with only a fraction of the budget. Thrifty movie maestro Roger Corman allowed Ron Howard to directed his first full length movie. With the agreement that Howard wouldn’t get paid for his extra job title.

“From now on she can’t cross the street without my permission”

Howard was no stranger to car themed movies, having already appeared in the stolen stock car picture Eat My Dust (1976) which was another Roger Corman production. Growing up in a filmmaking family, with his brother veteran actor Clint Howard (Gentle Ben). Who has a hefty two hundred and fifty-three acting credits, spanning between 1963 to 2022. Clint appears as one half of wild pair of mechanics, who are out to collect the $25,000 reward on the runaway young lovers. When a sermon loving Preacher overhears about a high reward. For anyone who can capture the speeding couple, he gets so overcome with the ecstasy of gold. That he steals a 1972 Dodge Monaco Police car, that’s parked up on a nearby curb.

“$25,000 dollars, now that’s a lot of Bibles baby”

The cars and the spectacular CGI free stunt-work, are movies biggest selling point. European stunt drivers were known to be some of the best of the time. Here’s an American team of stunt drivers, showcase some really impressive car-based stunts. With work from stuntmen Vic River’s, Conrad E. Palmisano, Tim Chitwood & Dana Bertolette to name just some of the 10-man stunt-team. All the chase scenes and stunt sequences, were captured in either California or in the Nevada desert. Rance Howard said in an interview, that they choreographed the chase scenes using just toy cars. Cinematographer Gary Graver and the camera crew expertly captured, all the many risky car stunts. Which Joe Dante then enhanced further during the editing process.  

“Get this fortune hunter out of this house”

“How dare you call Sam a fortune hunter, he’s an environmental research major”

Thanks to the stunt crew, Paula & Sam have the driving skills of Steve McQueen meets Mario Andretti. What is unique about this movie chase scenes, is that each pursuer uses a different kind of vehicle or model of car. It doesn’t matter if it’s 1968 Dodge Charger 500, a Rolls Royce or a 1968 Volkswagen Sedan Beetle. They all have a vast gas tank that never appear to get empty or need re-filling. The sound effects used for some of the car explosions, appear to have been lifted from Western movies? As it often sounds like gunfire is going off at the same time? It was common practice in low budget films from the 70’s, to re-use sound effects or even footage from other movies.

“Out there in the desert are two young lovers who are putting their lives on the line, and are defying the world in their bid for togetherness”

Actress Nancy Morgan works really well with co-star Ron Howard, as the tenacious fast driving Paula Power’s. Who refuses to be set up in a marriage she doesn’t want to be apart of. Her real-life father was the World War 2 hero John “Red” Morgan, who life heroics were portrayed in Twelve O’clock High (1949). Character actor Hoke Howell has a stand out performance, as the wayward Preacher who can drive with the best of them. Paul Linke as the jilted strung out billionaire Collins Hedgeworth, get the award for most over the top performance. Or should that go to Don Steele (Gremlins, Death race 2000), as the DJ turned stalker Curly Q. Brown? Well worth seeking this one out, if you’re a fan of low key 70’s films.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Dingo (Rolf de Heer, 1991). Barely seen in the U.S. until Dark Star Pictures released the film on DVD and Digital, this 1991 Australia/France co-production is amazing to watch. The story of a jazz trumpter from the Outback determined to meet the man who changed his life at the age of 12 by going to Paris is heightened by the amazing score and the performances of leads Colin Friels (as the titular Dingo) and jazz legend Miles Davis (in his final film performance before his 1991 death) as the childhood idol and jazz musician who inspired Dingo. Davis plays one of the most realistic characters ever seen on film because he just seems so grounded but man between that, Friels' performance (with Chuck Findley playing the trumpter for him), and the jazz score, I loved this film!

• Like 2

Coliseum1972

I sat 2 rows or so behind Paluzzi when i saw Thunderball in 2015

Anyway , Selskapsresan had several sequels : Snowroller (Stig Helmer & Ole goes ski-ing in Austria) , SOS Selskapsresan (of the sequels this is likely my fav.......the costumes SH & Ole dress up in , lol) , Selskapsgolfaren (SH & Ole goes to Scotland to learn golf) & Helsoresan (they go to a spa)

Melander who played Berra in the first movie died recently , Ole aka Skolmen also died few yrs ago

• Like 2

Firestarter (2022): Saw the remake last night on Peacock. It's a mixed bag. Zac Efron does a half-good, half-wooden performance as the father Andy while Ryan Kiera Armstrong's take on Charlie is the best thing about the film. There is a good build-up that is pretty much a waste as the finale seemed a bit "meh" despite a twist in the story. 

• Like 2

Lost City I was looking for to a fun adventure or comedy with this one. The latter I feel has been sorely missing for the last decade or so in cinemas.

It's a pretty harmless watch with a few chuckles here and there. Cast for the most part did pretty well. Bullock and Tatum bring enough chemistry to the screen to carry a very light adventure.

Also too much "explaining" of jokes for my taste. Nothing too bad but it felt overused to me. All in all pretty good. Wouldn't really recommend to watch it in cinemas. This is just one of those rentals for a lazy night at home.

• Like 2

Seven years in tibet- Nice endearing movie. Was wanting to make an effort to view more spiritual based movies (buddism, esoteric stuff etc) so figured why not check this out. Wasnt a slow point in this movie that I wasnt enjoying. Love david thewlis as lupin in harry potter, however wasnt a fan of the character he portrayed here. Brad pitt plays a somewhat manipulative thief initially and still gravitated towards his character more. Didnt even know it was based off a real story until it ended, and I guess theres been other adaptions throughout the years.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - (1991) - James Cameron’s classic sci-fi chase movie stills packs a big punch, and certainly set a whole new higher standard for the blockbuster movies that followed. The shoot took a whole eight months, which was longer than the six weeks it took to capture the first installment. Plot - “Almost ten years have passed since Sarah Connor’s (Linda Hamilton) nightmare ordeal began, and her son John Connor (Edward Furlong) the future leader of the human resistance, is now a healthy young boy. However, the nightmare begins again when a new, more deadly Terminator (Robert Patrick) is sent back in time, its order’s - to strike at John Connor while he is still a child”.

“I want you to listen to me very carefully”

William Wisher & James Cameron’s story is similar to that featured in the first film, only the unstoppable fearless T-800 Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) replaces Kylie Reese (Michael Biehn) as the guardian and protector. Schwarzenegger looks like a weightlifting naturist, who got lost from his local holiday site. When he strolls into a rough nearby bar in his birthday suit, after being sent back from the future. While the local waitress doesn’t seem to mind, he gets on the wrong side of a gang of bikers. It sets the more slightly comedic light hearted tone of this sequel. The original movie was much darker and more serious, with no joking around from Arnold’s version of The Terminator in 1984. That said, T2 is by no means a laugh a minute movie, it stills pack some horror, drama, shocks, emotion and deep thinking into its runtime.

“I can’t let you take the man’s wheels son”

When the Terminator looks at the bikers, there’s a nod to the actor’s bodybuilding background. With his characters computer analyzing peoples body types, skipping through Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph. James Cameron and his crew managed to deliver a sequel that wasn’t just as good as the original, but one that surpassed it in many ways. Which is a rare feat in movie making world. There’s a great sense of urgency and pace, as the characters are continually pursued right up to the final moments of the movie. With each action scene, becoming more and more elaborate and bigger in scale. The non-James Cameron sequels, just lacked this same feeling of pace and threat.

“There’s not too much time left in the world Sarah”

Linda Hamilton is excellent as a whole new version of Sarah Connor. It’s a whole new interpretation of the character, that comes out from her performance on-screen. Linda’s first scene in the sequel, is a stark contrast to the one in the first movie. She’s now locked inside an abusive psychiatric hospital, performing chin ups on a vertical steel bed. It here’s that we see just why her character was chosen in the first movie. In how she keeps adapting and overcoming the corrupt system of her captors. The actress dropped twelve pounds, sand trained six days a week for thirteen weeks in her garage with personal trainer Anthony Cortes. To develop her very different physical look in the movie. One that came as a surprise to audiences back in 1991. Note, this wasn’t a healthy look that she wanted to maintain all year round. It was a strict diet and training regime, she did just for her role.

“Fucking men like you built the hydrogen bomb. Men like you thought it up. You think you're so creative. You don't know what it's like to really create something; to create a life; to feel it growing inside you.”

If that wasn’t enough, she also trained with former Israeli commando Uzi Gal. Who trained her trained her in Judo and Military training with fire arms? By the end of this training, she could bench press 85lbs and pump load a 6-8lb 12 Gauge Shotgun with one hand. For this reason, her performance is so authentic and her character a guardian to John Connor and alley to the shotgun spinning T-800.

“It all sounded great in the script, and it was doable, just a matter of reps, reps, reps. But the preparation was pure pain and discomfort. I couldn’t wear a glove because it would get stuck in the gun mechanism, and I tore the skin of my hand and fingers practicing it hundred times until I mastered the skill” – Arnold Schwarzenegger (2012 – Autobiography)

Arnold Schwarzenegger’s character looks like he’s been in a 24-fight/battle royal with a whole tank division. By the time the story nearly reaches its end. The pictures packed with classic action/chase scenes brought to life by the epic cast of stunt performers. In the finale, the Terminator is now being pursued by another more advanced shape shifting liquid alloy T-1000. Unlike in the first movie, where its Schwarzenegger’s character who’s now doing the chasing. Here his version of the futuristic machine doesn’t kill anyone, and instead he maims his foes. Even when he uses a STEN mini-gun on a whole precinct of Police officers. The filmmakers make a point of showing nobody got killed on-screen. This of course doesn’t apply to Robert Patrick’s appearance as the shape shifting killing machine. Trying to fight a T-1000 must be like trying to put a forest fire out with a water pistol.

- “I have detailed files on the human anatomy”
- “I bet, makes you a more efficient killer right?”

Actor Robert Patrick spent of a lot of time getting into shape for his physically demanding role. He brings a unique and very energetic take to his character, which is closer to James Cameron’s vision for the original Terminator movie. He wanted to use a shape shifting character to appear in the 1984 film version, but movie special effects couldn’t execute this on-screen at the time. Robert Patrick had appeared in a number of low budget movies in the Philippines including Equalize2000 (1987) & Future Hunters (1988). After a minor role in Die Hard 2 - (1990) he landed this break out role.

- “Step on it”
- “This is the vehicles top speed”

It’s hard to imagine this movie working so well, if you removed anyone of the main cast members. James Cameron managed to create a new bigger threat/adventure, which was conveyed to the audience through the main performances. Edward Furlong was new to acting and was a natural on-screen. He was picked up of the streets of Pasadena California aged twelve by casting director Mali Finn, to play John Connor. The fact he was growing fast meant that his height would cause issues with visual continuity. The film was shot over an eight-month period, and for some scenes he had to stand in a hole next to co-star Linda Hamilton. In order to maintain the same height, he had, in scenes filmed earlier in the shoot. There’s some great chemistry between the pair, and its-there tough but vulnerable performances that help the story work so well.

- “Who sent you?”
- “You did”

It’s impossible to really cover the thousands of special shots and sequence in this one. This movie seamlessly blended practical, and computer-generated effects with live action on-screen. In a way many movies still can’t do despite the advances in computer technology. Special effects artists worked a whole year just to bring the T-1000 to life. Which was all done at Industrial Light & Magic under the super vision of Oscar Winner Dennis Murren. Mike Cameron, Stan Winston and their extensive FX team surpassed the cutting-edge work done on the 1984 production. With their creative and now iconic images of technology gone evil. The final confrontation in the Steel Foundry is a great example of this.

“You are judging my on things I haven’t even don’t yet”

In the rare chance you haven’t caught this movie, seek it out its essential viewing. There are two cuts, the shorter Theatrical Cut 136-Minutes & The Special Edition 152-minutes. The latter which restores some missing footage, including fifteen extra scenes and extended sequences, among them is a cameo from Michael Biehn and Linda Hamiltons twin. Along with more of Brad Fiedels first rate soundtrack. Featuring a re-worked version of his classic main title them from the first feature in the series.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Mother Schmuckers (Lenny and Harpo Guit, 2022): This Belgian comedy, running at 70 minutes, is about two brothers (co-director Harpo Guit and Maxi Delmelle) who lose their mother's dog and have 24 hours to get the dog or they are kicked out. This movie is freaking insane, from the opening moments (where the brothers are cooking literal s**t and coerce their mother into eating it, when she vomits the film's title card) to some major outrageous moments that are jaw-dropping...I'll spoil one below:

Spoiler

They find the dog at an exclusive party where there is "interspecies erotica" and they grab the dog, who bit off the wienerschnitzel of the party host. The dog spits it up in one of the brothers' hands....Gross!!!!

The finale is even more shocking but good use of the "Theme Flutissimo" disco track for the end credits. There is a short film that follows involving one of the big supporting characters, Choukri, played by Habib Ben Tanfous, and his obsession with love. 

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1