What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

legendarycurry

I have been watching the Batman (2022) a whole lot. Going to see it for the fourth time in the theater in a few hours :D

It is in my opinion the best Batman film to date. Batman gets a great character arc, the chemistry with Catwoman is great, Riddler is chilling. Great acting, solid action, brilliant music and beautiful cinematography to boot. The 3 hours just fly by as the film is very well directed and paced.

The only thing I don't get the hype about is the famous car chase sequence, I feel it could have been better shot and edited though the audio in the scene was great. Then again I am not a very big fan of car chases, though I like the ones in Armor of God and Operation Condor off the top of my head. 

Still I give The Batman 10/10! Highly recommended to anyone !

• Like 3

FightingFool

Restless(netflix).

I am not familiar with french cinema and no clue how well known director and actors are but this was good one. When (crooked) cop accidently hits man with car and trying to keep incident as secret he gets into big trouble as there was witness..

There is little bit dragging when cop was trying to hide corpse(it was quite good scene but could have lasted some mins less) but otherwise very intense thriller.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

This morning I watched the much talked about Deep Water. If you're not familiar with the film, it's an erotic thriller starring Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas was that was dumped on HULU about a week ago.

First of all, this film is silly. Stupid, even. There are any dub choices and oddball moments and, if watched ironically, I'm sure many people would have a grand old time. Me? I watched it unironically. I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed it. I think it's a very tense little psychological thriller with a solid (if outlandish) plot. Affleck and de Armas really put in work here which elevates the film quite significantly.
I must say this though. Deep Water is NOT an erotic thriller. It's a psychological thriller with tits and handjobs. It's nowhere near as sleazy as the erotic thriller classics from the 90's. It's no Basic Instinct or Color of Night. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say the sexual scenes are shockingly tame. Not a full frontal in sight.

Some won't enjoy it because they won't be able to see beyond its silliness. I was happy with it. In fact, as a married man, it got my hackles up at times. Being cuckolded is the ultimate nightmare.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Dead Poets Society - (1989) – Noteworthy movie from Australian born director Peter Wier (The Truman Show), with an outstanding script by writer Tom Schulman. Starring late comedian & actor Robin Williams as the unique, eccentric and inspiring English Professor John Keating. Who arrives at a strict traditional private school that’s steeped in rigid rules and rituals! Mr. Keating’s new colourful avant-garde take on this old-fashioned 1950’s educational system, inspires his new students to follow their own passions? Even if it means he get on the wrong side of his peers.

“Now, devotees may argue that one sport or game is inherently better than another. For me sport is actually a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel”

Rugby fan, Nautilus devotee, and actor Robin Williams (Good Will Hunting) delivers one of his best film performances here. Showcasing his dramatic range as a performer, comedian, and serious actor who can handle the more dramatic scenes. Just as easily as he can perform the quick comic timing required for his character on-screen. Script writer Tom Schulman’s comedic one liner’s along with Robin Williams performance, really bring some magic to the screen. Such as the scene when Mr. Keating’s showing his students photos of long deceased students. While whispering in a light ghostly voice behind them.

“I was not the mental giant you see before you, I was the equivalent of a ninety-pound weakling, I would go to the beach and people would kick copies of Byron in my face”

Writer Tom Schulman never attended a private school, so he relied on the experiences of cast & crew members. To help him with the use of their own personal experiences, to add some authenticity to the production. Director Peter Wier went to a Scots Boys school in Sydney growing up. The school used in the movie looks more a like a castle, compared to the public schools I attended growing up. Filmed at St Andrew’s Private boy’s school in Delaware.

“These lads are now fertilizing daffodils”

One of my favorite scenes features Mr. Keating demanding his students tear out the introduction, from their copies of a poetry critiquing book. Something actor Robin Williams witnessed at school when he was a teenager. When one of his English teaches asked a student to rip out a poem from a txt book. This was something writer Tom Schulman didn’t create for the original script. He spent four years writing the script for this movie, only to find out Touchstone wanted to make some changes. The studio sent him forty pages of notes, on what they wanted him to change and why. Lucky for the writer, the studio changed their minds during a pre-production meeting.

“We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute, we read and write poetry because we are members of the human race, and the human race is filled with passion, and medicine, law, business, engineering, are all noble pursuits, necessary to sustain human life, but poetry, beauty, romance, these are what we stay alive for”

The filmmakers put a heavy focus on old rituals, especially with the re-creation of The Dead Poets Society. The banned secret Artistic Society that Robin Williams character created, when he attended the school as a boy. These meetings just happened to take place in an ancient Native American cave. The script writer said some of this was inspired by the secret societies he had heard about in private schools. That’s according to an audio commentary he did for the movie. I don’t think it’s a big wild conspiracy theory sub-plot, but it does play a key role in this story. The films opening scenes start of with old ritual/ceremony, that’s performed for all new boys who attend the school each year.

“When you read, don’t just consider what the author thinks, consider what you think”

This production features decent performances from everyone involved. Here are just a few of the actors filling out the rest of the cast Alexandra Power’s, Ethan Hawke, Robert Shaun Leonard, Kurtwood Smith, Gale Hansen, & Carla Belver. The cast were told to study the 1950’s era/culture, and how people talked and interacted backed then. Even sending the then young actors playing Mr. Keating’s students, to a boarding school. To give them some idea of how it would feel to live at a strict boarding school. The creative camerawork makes the cramped and limited locations look more interesting. With some nice use of simultaneously revolving/descending crane shot in one scene. This feature runs for just over two hours, it’s rumoured that the old Laserdisc release of this film had fourteen minutes of additional scenes? Dont quote me on that one though. In short, this films well worth watching for fans of Robin Williams and 1980’s cinema.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

This morning I watched the much talked about Deep Water. If you're not familiar with the film, it's an erotic thriller starring Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas was that was dumped on HULU about a week ago.

First of all, this film is silly. Stupid, even. There are any dub choices and oddball moments and, if watched ironically, I'm sure many people would have a grand old time. Me? I watched it unironically. I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed it. I think it's a very tense little psychological thriller with a solid (if outlandish) plot. Affleck and de Armas really put in work here which elevates the film quite significantly.
I must say this though. Deep Water is NOT an erotic thriller. It's a psychological thriller with tits and handjobs. It's nowhere near as sleazy as the erotic thriller classics from the 90's. It's no Basic Instinct or Color of Night. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say the sexual scenes are shockingly tame. Not a full frontal in sight.

Some won't enjoy it because they won't be able to see beyond its silliness. I was happy with it. In fact, as a married man, it got my hackles up at times. Being cuckolded is the ultimate nightmare.

Saw a trailer for this when I went to go see Batman for the 4th time. It really wasn't a very exciting promo and it was the first time I saw something that is coming directly to streaming advertised in a theater screening. It's on Prime over here which I don't have, but I have been interested in seeing films with Ana De Armas because her name is being tossed around at times in fancastings for Thalia Al Ghul in the Batman universe. Might give this one a watch since you said the actors put in work. Even if Affleck can be very hit or miss with me.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
26 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

Saw a trailer for this when I went to go see Batman for the 4th time. It really wasn't a very exciting promo and it was the first time I saw something that is coming directly to streaming advertised in a theater screening. It's on Prime over here which I don't have, but I have been interested in seeing films with Ana De Armas because her name is being tossed around at times in fancastings for Thalia Al Ghul in the Batman universe. Might give this one a watch since you said the actors put in work. Even if Affleck can be very hit or miss with me.

I'll admit, Deep Water hasn't exactly been getting rave reviews. So maybe I'm in the minority. But I was happy it. And Ana de Armas is definitely becoming one of the next big things in Hollywood. I'm looking forward to her NC-17 Marilyn Monroe biopic. You know, for artistic reasons.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 2

Super Ninja
On 3/20/2022 at 7:57 AM, nectarsis said:

movie time

MV5BZWMyYzFjYTYtNTRjYi00OGExLWE2YzgtOGRmYjAxZTU3NzBiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ0MzA0NTM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg.e70c729cb51cfa1b6043d73da371cf3a.jpg

Despite the hype, I didn't like it.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, FightingFool said:

Restless(netflix).

I am not familiar with french cinema and no clue how well known director and actors are but this was good one. When (crooked) cop accidently hits man with car and trying to keep incident as secret he gets into big trouble as there was witness..

There is little bit dragging when cop was trying to hide corpse(it was quite good scene but could have lasted some mins less) but otherwise very intense thriller.

It was ok. Remake of a Korean movie A Hard Day (2014). The original is of course better.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Back in my teens, I used to watch 2004's Creep all the time. No, that's not a typo. I'm not talking about 2014's Creep starring Mark Duplass. My Creep is a British horror movie. A creature feature of sorts with Sean Harris playing the titular creep and Franka Potente playing the final girl.

Upon rewatching it, it's not nearly as good as I remember. Maybe my tastes have matured or just changed? Think of Creep as a Wrong Turn-like movie only instead of a family of inbreds wreaking havoc in the wilderness, you have just one deformed villain wreaking havoc in a closed-for-the-night subway station.
While there is tension (to an extent), the film really lacks thrills. It's a standard slasher-type movie where, unfortunately, the kills fail to deliver. They're mostly off screen save for one vicious throat slashing. There are one or two brutal moments in the film's second half but nothing you haven't seen before.

The creep in Creep is...creepy. I'll give the film that. A makeshift surgery her performs late in the movie is particularly unnerving. But, as a whole, this is a fairly by the books horror movie that doesn't bring anything new to the table. Director, Christopher Smith, would go on to write and direct the far, FAR superior Triangle in 2009.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

The Wrestler - (2008) – Is a solid gritty, earthy independent film directed by Darren Aronofsky & written by Robert Siegel. Starring Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood, Todd Barry & Mark Margolis.  This award-winning film caused a big stir at the time of its release, mostly among the pro-wrestling business. I’m taking a look at this film from outside the profession, and not as someone who had any connection to world of pro wrestling.

I thought, oh, they don't get hurt at all. But I walked away with a renewed respect for the sport. Because I was very ignorant before - I knew nothing about it.– Mickey Rourke

Plot Synopsis- “Back in the 80’s, Randy “The Ram” Robinson (Mickey Rourke) was a headlining professional wrestler. Twenty years on and many injuries later, he’s now struggling to pay the bills. Estranged from his daughter (Evan Rachel Wood) Randy lives for the thrill of the show and the adoration of his fans. However, a heart attack forces him into retirement. As his sense of identity starts to slip away, he begins to evaluate the state of his life – trying to reconnect with his daughter and striking up a relationship with stripper Cassidy (Marisa Tomei).”

The trademark hand-held camera heavy style of Darren Aronofsky, really adds to the films realistic look. Giving it a more documentary-drama feel to it, Maryse Alberti’s cinematography take some visual nods from the way Pro-Wrestling shows are capture. When they follow the wrestlers around backstage. The naturalistic acting approach of the cast members, is just another reason the film looks more-true to real life than many fictional settings we see in most movies. It looks like the camera has just happened to capture the two people interacting. It’s certainly less theatrical and stagey in its presentation. Marisa Tomei gives a great honest performance as exotic dancer Cassidy. Whose character has some career/life parallels with Randy the Ram Robinson. The actor gives her character a strong personality, that’s not just the token love interest part.

Both Maria Tomei & Mickey Rourke work really well together on-screen, as two troubled characters who make their living showcasing their body’s. Neither actor was in their early twenties, and it takes some nerves to stand up on the big screen among the younger performer’s who they acted with in some scenes. Rourke portrayal of The Ram makes him look tougher than a long distant lorry tire. One of my favourite scenes, sees an injured Randy playing with local trailer parks kids. His character might by dysfunctional but he still has time for people. Even after he’s had to spend the night laying in the back of his truck, after a night Wrestling in a local Bingo Hall.

- “Is it fresh?”

- “Fresh? fresh as monkey’s breath, brother!”

Many of the scenes and dialogue were improvised by the actors. In particular the scenes featuring Mickey Rourke as Randy the Ram Robinson. Improvisation being a skill Rourke probably picked up, during his time living in New York and studying at the famous Actor’s Studio under the guidance of actress, director and acting coach Sandra Seacat. Herself a student of Polish born director, actor, theatre practitioner Lee Strasberg. It’s said that former Boxer Rourke changed the lines of his character, from the ones written for the original script. Feeling he could add some more well-suited dialogue for his character. Due to some of the experiences/interactions he had had in his own life.

MTV: I've heard that you rewrote a lot of your dialogue in the film.

Rourke: I rewrote all of my scenes and all of my dialogue. The speech at the end I wrote the night before.

Source- http://www.mtv.com/news/1594599/mickey-rourke-explains-his-preparation-for-the-wrestler-i-had-some-demons/

Despite being in his early fifties, Mickey Rourke dedicated a lot time and effort. To get into top physical shape for the role of the former Pro-Wrestling superstar. His fictional wrestling character, is supposed to have been at the height of his fame in the 80’s. The decade bodybuilding had a big influence on Pro-Wrestling, with the then NWA & WWF putting a big emphasis on stars who worked out. “I got a really good Israeli trainer who made me pump iron and do the cardio for four months. Then we did two hours of weight training and cardio and two hours of wrestling practice. This is months before the film. By the time we shot the movie I was like, "This is the easy part." The other stuff was murder.” - Mickey Rourkey Source: MTV Interview. The hard work eventually paid off, when Rourke could pull of the moves required for the rough & wild wrestling matches. Another one of Rourke’s trainers was former Marine Afa “The Wild Soman” Anoai, an older relative of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson & the late Agatupu Rodney Anoaʻ (Yokozuna). Afa also did a first-class job of choreographing the pro-wrestling matches featured in the movie.

“You know in this life you can lose everything you love, everything that loves you. Now I don't hear as good as I used to and I forget stuff and I aint as pretty as I used to be but God damn it, I'm still standing here and I'm The Ram.”

If you haven’t watched the movie already, you will want to skip this spoiler heavy final section. I don’t often go heavily into the endings of movies, but its hard to talk about this film without mentioning the famous ambiguous ending. One that’s left open ended so that viewers can decide how the story ends. Rather than having the director do that for them. I really liked how this film, didn’t go for the typical underdog story ending. Does The Ram overcome his heart trouble and finish the match, or has his story really reached its climax? Additional scenes of Randy re-concealing with his daughter, were left out of the ending. Along with a subplot about her having some drinking issues. Playing, The Ram longstanding foe The Ayatollah is Martial Artist, Actor turned Por Wrestler Ernest the Miller. Someone you clearly wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of.

Also look out for real life old-school Pro-Wrestling legend Johnny Valiant. You would need to write a small book, to credit every Wrestler/Promoter/Ring announcer who worked on this production.Randomly, Brandon DeCamillo (CKY/Jackass), was a part of the stunt team. Most of the talent was from Ring of Honor and Combat Zone Wrestling. The Ram comes into the ring to the sound of Sweet Child O' Mine by Gun’ N’ Roses. A song he used to use as entrance music for his 90’s boxing matches. Due to their small budget, Axl Rose let them use the song for free. Singer songwriter Bruce Springsteen agreed to write a song, that was used for the final credits. The 80’s rock score really helps to set the mood of the whole story. You don’t have to be a die-hard Wrestling fan to appreciate this story. It’s not just bright Lycra and body slams, but a touching look at life away from the stage lights and the cheering fans.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

On 3/17/2022 at 8:42 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Kill List (2011) - Recently, two people whose opinions on movies I respect, said two completely different things about this movie. One of them loved it and one of them despised it. So I was eager to give it a go.

I can honestly say this is one of the best movies I’ve seen this year. I’d advise everyone to go into it absolutely blind. Don’t read ANYTHING about it. I’m not even going to go into any plot details. Just know that it’s a psychological horror and a slow burn.

I do recommend having subtitles on as this is a very British film and even I, a Brit, struggled with understanding some of the characters at times. It’s very mumbly.

I suppose this isn’t much of a review because I’m not talking about the film all that much. I will say this… It’s incredibly brutal and nicely builds tension into its phenomenal third act.

It’s currently streaming on Shudder.

The star of the film, Neil Maskell, has a new film out this week in the U.S., Bull. Great brutal film. Would go perfect as a double bill with Avengement. Maskell is the titular Bull, a former gangster who returns after a ten-year exile to exact revenge on his old gang, led by his father-in-law, excellently played by David Heyman. The action scenes are very brutal and graphic, including one where a guy gets his arm cut off and then has it catharized on a nob by our anti-hero. Flashbacks throughout the film reveal the events leading up to Bull's exile and eventual quest for revenge. I actually talked to Maskell yesterday - really awesome guy who was passionate about playing the titular character. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

DragonClaws

Excess Baggage - (1997): “You don’t have to be drunk to kiss me”. Director Marco Brambilla (Demolition Man) directs this well-paced 90’s comedic romantic crime movie, with a screenplay written by British writer’s Dick Clement & Ian La Frenais (Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Still Crazy). American writer Max D. Adam’s wrote the story, with some quick re-writes to the script by Larry Karaszewski & Scott Alexander just before production began. It was produced by star Alicia Silverstone (uncredited), Carolyn Kessler and Bill Borden. The story- “Brazen, yet emotionally neglected Emily T.Hope (Alicia Silverstone), desperate for her father’s attention stages her own kidnapping. But, before she can enjoy a happy reunion with her father, her car gets stolen – with Emily still inside – and professional car thief Vincent Roche (Benicio Del Toro) is about to find out he stole a lot more than he bargained for! And when Emily’s sinister ex-CIA ‘uncle’ (Christopher Walken) starts tracking them down, the
heat can only get hotter"

“How the hell did you get out of the trunk?”

Gifted veteran actor Christopher Walken (True Romance) brings his usual strong on-screen presence. Playing the sharp minded unhinged former C.I.A man turned shady bodyguard Ray. Looking calmer than an alligator waiting for its unaware prey. Benicio Del Toro is equally great as the quirky highly strung and edgy high-tech car thief Vincent Roche. His career had been on a big roll after he appeared in The Usual Suspects (1995). Watch out for the first time Christopher Walken & Benecio Del Toro’s characters meet on-screen, for a good example of their acting skills. One of my favourite scene see's Ray take on three burly men in a roadside diner.

“Yeah, that’s what I’m going to do, I’m going to give my car keys to a car thief”

As a teenager of the late 90’s it was impossible not notice actress Alicia Silverstone. I’d like to see more of her dramatic work, as I’ve only really been exposed to the more light hearted roles. Here she’s on top acting form, showcasing the kind of tongue in cheek performances she was noted for. It’s her character who takes central place in the basic plot. Aged thirteen Batman & Robin (1997) was a big let-down, but Alicia Silverstone was one redeeming presence for my young narrow minded teenage brain. Miss Silverstone character is supposed to have been a Black Belt aged ten. Her she demonstrates a few Martial Arts inspired moves in one funny scene, which shows she can clearly perform a screen fight. I seem to recall her doing some Martial Arts in Batman & Robin (1997), but its so long since I watched it. In 2006 Alicia Silverstone was tutored by Martial Artist turned Actor Donnie Yen (Ip Man Trilogy/Kung Fu Jungle).

“Are you mental? I’ve told you I don’t want to fight”

Filmed in the summer of 1996 and shot mostly in leafy Vancouver British Columbia in Canada. There’s a number of beautiful locations including Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta. Including the stunning Britannia Beach, used for the scene featuring Vincent & Emily’s characters talking on a shoreline. Along with many impressive looking cars including an Aston Martin DB5, the film could be a car advert in some scenes.

“We just lost the hostage”

This movie is by no means a classic but it’s still a fun an entertaining hour and forty minutes. Worth watching if your fans of the cast, and don’t want anything too demanding on the brain. Some fine supporting performances from Nicholas Turturro, Sally Kirkland, Jack Thompson, Harry Connick Jr & Leland Orser. While not action film, it does feel a chase movie with the odd couple getting pursued by the police and a dangerous ex Government employee. Which stops the pace from stalling, and the story getting too bogged down. Randomly, actors Alicia Silverstone & Benicio Del Toro have both appeared in three seperate movies with co-star Christopher Walken.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 9:25 AM, DragonClaws said:

Bloody Muscle Bodybuilder from Hell - (90's Japanese independent production, not released until 2012?) a.k.a The Japanese Evil Dead.

Flashpoint (1984)

Zombie Flesh Eaters (1983)

Tammy & The T-Rex(1994) - (Uncut Edition, and not the re-edited/re-issued PG version released to cash in on Jurassic Park)

The late Paul Walker and Densie Richards turn up in early starring roles.

Friday The 13 Part II (1982)

Night Train Murder (1975) - For the Ennio Morricone score.

Black Dynamite (2009)

Alice Doesnt Live Here Anymore (1974)

Rocky 1 & 2 (1976 - 1979)

@DragonClaws, just FYI, there is going to be a blu ray release of Bloody Muscle Bodybuilder from Hell from a new label specializing in retro shot in video horror called Visual Vengeance.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3709251/wild-eye-launching-new-blu-ray-label-visual-vengeance-for-retro-shot-on-video-horror/

Screenshot_2022-04-04 visual-2 png (WEBP Image, 1200 × 1200 pixels) - Scaled (57%).jpg

• Like 3

Just for everyone's information. Cemetery of terror does not look half as good as that awesome poster... just so you know!

• Like 2

Super Ninja
8 hours ago, nectarsis said:

movie time

MV5BNWM2ZGE0OTYtNTk4OC00NzAxLWJjYzktZGVhYTc0N2FlZGM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg.cf33bcc69f3db965dd02c1418f2b8898.jpg

Found out about that movie just a few days ago, is it any good?

• Like 3

Just now, Super Ninja said:

Found out about that movie just a few days ago, is it any good?

plot is very wonky

FX work is decent but not mind blowing

cheesey, bug fun, i enjoyed it

• Like 3

FightingFool

Die Hard 4.0...was several years since last view so either taste has changed or memory did not serve well but this was not good. In fact, it`s weaker than #5...plot about hacker was mediocre and in action mostly it was ok at best. While in these kind of movies realism it not expected this crossed line and became ridiculous when F-35 was not able to nail the truck.Good things in movie are Bruce Willis, again solid job as McClane and gorgeous Maggie Q.

Spiderman 5000 it was bit letdown. Voice actors are OK, animation is bit crude but have gotten used to it with other marvels. But plots were too often dull. And far too much Dr Doom, he is more villain for Fantastic Fours, 6 or 7 episodes here with him was overkilling..Maybe half dozen episodes were good or so and it stays true to what spiderman comics were many decades ago but there are more interesting webslinger animations around..Best thing here was J.Jonah Jameson he was shown lot and was grumpy, any other way would have been failure to his character.

1.jpg

• Like 2

the evil dead 1981

Quite possibly the greatest film of all time. Think of it, these guys were a bunch of inexperienced nobodies. That shack in the woods was literally that shack in the woods, there was nothing build, there was almost no equipment. This is full blown creativity and problem solving. Insane movie, great sound design, fantastic make up, super cool camerawork. This is such a piece of legendary filmmaking.

B movies can be so fucking good like one armed boxer and master of the flying guillotine. Who comes up with that shit, it is brilliant inspired dedicated moviemaking!

Thanks you Sam Raimi and Wang Yu even though this movie wasn’t by you, I just wanted to point out you were an equally talented moviemaker.

• Like 2