What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Just now, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Thats right, thanks for pointing this out.

Just now, masterofoneinchpunch said:

This is a good film, though not in my top 50 westerns of all-time nor for me as good as either The Wild Bunch nor Ride the High Country.

Off all his movies I've probably watched Patt Garrett & Billy the Kid the most. It would have to be in my top twenty at least, there's a lot of movies from that era that I've yet to see.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

This is a good film, though not in my top 50 westerns of all-time nor for me as good as either The Wild Bunch nor Ride the High Country.

One thing I forgot to mention which I think might be of interest to you. Is I found at least four different versions, of who came up with the idea for the end of the movie. All share similar connections, I only posted two examples of them in my write-up though.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, WangYu said:

The muthers, whats that? A blaxploitation, women in prison, kung fu, pirate, adventure war film?

pretty much spot on LMAO

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Monster from Green Hell (1957) Stanley and Livingstone with two minutes of footage of giant stop motion wasps inserted. Padded and boring.

The Saga of the Viking Women and their Voyage into the Waters of the Great Sea Serpent (1957) - Kinda fun. A little bit of seafaring. A little bit of monsters. A little bit of two-fisted daring-do (with the wussiest male Vikings on record). A little of love triangle. Lots of hot blondes. All in a sixty-six minute package.

The Cosmic Monsters (1958) - Talky and boring. Three minutes of British soldiers fighting photographically-embiggened insects.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) - One of the classic adventure-fantasy films. It just gets everything right.

• Like 5

Rocky I to VI

Enough has been said about those but I like to say something about V because I feel it is unfairly maligned. It is Rocky coming full circle, back to the streets from rags to riches to rags. Drama takes centre stage again and it has got a pretty good plot imo. Rocky wears his hat again, finds his humor. Then there is that end fight on the streets, it is dirty and hard it is the best fight of the entire franchise. I like it…

That son though, the way he acts to his father:coveredlaugh If I would have acted like that I would have been disowned for sure, also what’s with the earring ffs :rofl

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

On 3/4/2022 at 6:45 PM, WangYu said:

That son though, the way he acts to his father:coveredlaugh If I would have acted like that I would have been disowned for sure, also what’s with the earring ffs :rofl

Those were trendy with the kids at school for about a year, not sure how it was in the U.S at the time. Sure it had something to do with the boy band look at the time. Never had my ears pierced in any way.

Part 5 isnt as bad as many people make out, but its a big dip after the first four. Not becuase the story takes him back to his roots, just becuase the other films reached such heights. Some scenes are really good, whiile others just dont work at all.

Re-watched this one recently while I was feeling sick with the flu.

Predator – (1987) – The top of the food chain hits second place. In this violent and taut John McTierman Directed Arnold Schwarzenegger classic. Where the Science-Fiction, Horror, and Action genres all crash head on. A skillful rescue team consisting of seven hardened veteran Commandos Mac (Bill Duke) Poncho (Richard Chavez), Blaine (Jesse Ventura), Billy (Sonny Landham), Hawkins (Shane Black) Dutch (Arnold Schwarzenegger) & Dillon (Carl Weather’s). End up stuck in some dangerous South American Island jungle when a rescue mission goes wrong. The areas ridden with local rogue arms dealing militia. Along with an agile heavily armed eight-foot plus tall translucent reptile, who also happens to have a fetish for human skulls and illegal manhunts. The muscular Military Magnificent Seven, must adapt and overcome to survive their greatest challenge yet.

“The Devil that makes trophies of man”

Despite a very troubled and tough production filmed mostly on location in the jungles of Puerto Vallarta Mexico. This 20th Century Fox production turned out to be one of the best action movies of the 80’s. Future Martial Arts movie star Jean-Claude Van Damme was the original actor cast to play the Predator. However, the special effects team that was working on the film. Failed to come up with a practical suit/design that could be used in the movie. “The creature came across as ridiculous, not menacing; it looked like a guy in a lizard suit with the head of a duck” – “Stan Winston’s Predator was much bigger & creepier than the one it replaced: a green extraterrestrial eight and a half feet tall, with sunken eyes and insect like mandibles for a mouth” Source- Arnold Schwarzenegger: Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story. When Special Effects wizard Stan Winston (The Terminator), stepped in to create a new lethal high-tech Alien creature. Van Damme was let go and the towering 7ft tall Kevin Peter Hall stepped in for the part. Hall has a minor cameo playing a Helicopter pilot at the end of the film.

“This Cabinet-Minister does he always travel on the wrong side of the border?”

Stan Winston’s presence helped to steer the production in a whole new more positive direction. Just like the talented ensemble cast on-screen, there was equally gifted team of people working behind the cameras. The original script/story was created by brothers Jim & John Thomas in 1984, under the title The Hunter. It would eventually become a $15 Million dollar budget Hollywood movie, that would go onto gross $100 Million dollars at the box-office. Spawning sequels, spin-offs, cross over movies, comic books, Video Games and countless merchandise. With a prequel called Prey, set to be released later this year.

- “It’s strange major, there was a firefight, there was shooting in all directions”
- “Do you believe Jim Harper walked into an ambush?”
- “I don’t believe he did, I can’t find a single track, it just doesn’t make sense”

You would have to write a full book to fully cover everyone involved here. The chain-gun brandishing deep voiced Blaine, was played by the formidable former Navy Seal, Pro Wrestler & Governor the stoic Jesse Ventura. Who deliver’s some of the film’s best lines of which there are plenty. As part of the casts training/bootcamp, they were often sent off on long mountain walks in the steep rugged local Mexican terrain. Ventura would often be the first to make it back to basecamp. Leeches, snake, spiders and illness became a common thing during filming. The extensive training paid off, you got a real sense this team of actors are an actual Military unit with a chain of command.

“Son of a bitch is dug in like an Alabama tick”

Ventura was one of the big names of the WWF pro-wrestling company at the time. With his quick witted colourful heel commentary on popular WWF T.V Shows & Pay Per View events. The company was going through the roof at the time, in terms of popularity. Is it a coincidence that Ventura’s character can be seen wearing an MTV T-Shirt in this movie?. The channel had a big working relationship with the WWF in the mid-80’s. Bodybuilding star Arnold Schwarzenegger brought his home gym down to the set and allowed his co-stars to use it if they wished. This is probably how the former competitive bodybuilder, managed to maintain his Mr Olympia sized arms in the hot Jungle climate.

Jesse Venture- “So, I started getting up at about quarter to five and getting into the gym before Arnold and Sven Ole Thorsen (His bodyguard & double) came in. I would grab the mineral water and soak myself with it, so I would look like I was drenched in sweat. I would only be doing my first set, when Sven & Arnold walked in, but Arnold didn’t know that! He’d walk in and say, “Sven! Look at this! Who knows how long Jesse’s been training! We must get up earlier. We can’t let Jesse outtrain me” So it ended that we both got up earlier and earlier, until we were getting up at four in the morning!” Source – (I Ain’t Got Time to Bleed: Reworking the Body Politic from The Bottom Up – (1999) Biography.

“That’s a real nasty habit you got there”

The 80s was a time when a story like this could be told with the help of a decent sized budget. You could say that Predator is the epitome example of the larger than-life 1980’s action blockbuster. Where the heroes work alone or as team to face a larger-than life obstacle or challenge. Actors such as Carl Weathers (Death Hunt, Action Jackson, Rocky), played a big part in this mid 80’s boom for the action genre. According to John McTierman whenever he was filming scenes featuring Weather’s. Arnold Schwarzenegger would always come and sit quietly to study how the veteran actor worked. Carl Weather’s is great as the edgy misguided Dylan, who proves he’s not gone all rotten by the end of the film. Judging by Weathers heavy duty physique he must have another cast member using Schwarzenegger’s home gym.

“So, you cooked up a story and dropped the six of us in the meat grinder”

The film stills carry’s a sinister sense of foreboding and makes great use of psychological/visual horror. The first-rate soundtrack by Alan Silvestri (The Abyss, The Long Kiss Goodnight) helps to create a dark atmospheric presence with that unnerving sense of impending doom. That said some of the shocks might look dated now. As the story progressives, it gets closer to primitive man and the primaeval fear of being hunted by a much larger natural predator.

“There’s something out there waiting for us and it ain’t no man”

Sonny Landham (Lock Up, 48hrs) puts on a good-performances as Billy whose Native American blood makes him the perfect tracker. Richard Chavez is just as good as the grenade launching Poncho. He might not be the biggest member of the team, but still holds his own. Each of the characters have their own distinct weapons. Which is shown to great effect in one my favorite scenes. The raid on the guerilla camp, look out for Sven Ole-Thorsen & Franco Columbo during this gun-ho action set piece. Not forgetting the 20lb machete/knife Dutch uses.

“Stick around”

Eventually things all lead to the inevitable showdown between the main characters Dutch (Schwarzenegger), and the killer from above played by the late Kevin Peter Hall. Who had to wear a 200lb body suit that needed be attached to bungee cords. In order that the actor to move about and run in some scenes. In one scene Dutch rigs together enhanced version Robin Hoods old best friend the bow and arrow. That can shoot arrows the length of a grown man’s leg. The resilient Dutch was modeled on the D.C comic book character Sgt Rock.

“Hey Billy get me a way out of this hole”

If you got this far into my latest ramble then thanks for taking the time to read it. Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions on this movie in the comments section. Finally special mention goes to Elpidia Carrilo (Predator 2) who plays prisoner of war Anna in the film. Her character must join forces with her captors in order to face their new deadlier enemy. Talented actor Bill Duke as the brave razor happy Mac steals the film in some classic scenes. Shane Black is also great as the joking Buddy Holly look-alike Hawkins. Black made some changes to the script, and would later go onto direct his own Predator inspired movie in 2018. The much older R.G Armstrong (Pat Garret & Billy the Kid), who could have stood toe to toe with any fellow cast members as a young man. Has a nice minro role in the films opening scenes. Finally, the extensive stunt team deserves highlighting too. One very high waterfall stunt that left a stuntman with a broken wrist and a blown-out knee.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Daughters of darkness 1971

A Belgian vampire film filmed in Ostend and a brief scene in Bruges, it has an intimate, small cast with fantastic atmospheric cinematography  and sensual moody foreboding music. The acting isn’t all that great, it is very classical and stiff and there are some weird (unintended) comical scenes. There is a ton of nudity to enjoy and all around pretty great shooting both indoor and outdoors.

The plot goes as follows. A newly wed couple arrives at a hotel to stay the night, later 2 female vampires arrive and the older vampire clearly set her eyes on the new girl and she conceives a plan to get rid of the vampire she came with to replace her with the new girl. It is slow with weird as hell death scenes and some scenes that don’t seem important to the plot but the overall atmosphere and soundtrack make it a worthwhile watch. Not a classic though but seemingly quite popular in some midsts. It is also a feminist film so it is ahead of its time.

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

The Vampire Lovers, Lust for a Vampire & Twins of Evil (Karnstein Trilogy)

Star Trek III the Search for Spock.

• Like 2

Spawn (ive action)- I would say very watchable movie. Planned on watching this during my halloween run last year but didnt get to it, and liked it enough to absolutely rewatch some halloween season.  Really enjoyed the way he was living on the rooftop, the cool poor cgi depiction of hell and its fiery demon speaking to the characters. I get the flack, but its also quite decent for the actual fan of movies.

Velvet Buzzsaw- So netflix original doesnt automatically mean good? Go figure should of known better, but this had everything going for it and still turned out god awful. How could you expect this to be this bad. I just felt sad for gyllenhal putting so much effort into a terrible movie and probably not realizing how awful it was. Absolute waste of time. Perhaps a few redeeming kills or good idea here or there (sparsely). A youtube reviewer summed it up well by saying ‘this isnt horrifyibg ebough to be considered a horror movie, its a suspenseful drama at best’. And thats saying something because I had no idea it was a horror going in, expecting a thriller movie. A movie I saw in theaters a year or so ago tackled the art thriller immeasurably better, Burnt Orange Heresy, starring mick jagger, whilst still bot incredible per say, far better made than this. And while Im at it nightcrawler sucks too imo, made by the same director and gylenhal starring. However I admit to understanding some of the praise with nightcrawler, those positive attributes it has are missing here in buzzsaw.

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Escape From New York – (1981) – The Big Apple looks bleaker than a winter moorland, in this John Carpenter directed sci-fi actioner. A film that’s dripping in an eerie restless atmosphere that’s only amplified, by John Carpenters classic catchy radical synth heavy score. That perfectly suits this sparse and brutal Sci-Fi movie version of the future. Made in the early 80’s, the story was set in a then fictional 1997 setting. New York city’s Manhattan Island has been turned into a maximum-security prison, that is run by the inmates. Including nocturnal sewer dwelling flesh eater’s, known suitably as the crazies. Just one of Carpenter’s nods to fellow Horror/Sci Fi directors. The biggest and toughest gang in futuristic N.Y is led by The Duke (Isaac Hayes). He’s the only man who calls the shots on the Island. The rules are simple, once you go in you don’t come out.

“You flew the Gullfire over Leningrad. You know how to get in quiet. You're all I got”

When the presidents plane goes down in this lawless medieval version of New York. There’s only one man the American Government can rely on to get him out alive. Highly decorated former special forces war hero turned criminal Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell). He’s about as friendly as a shark during feeding time, and cooler than your local frozen food aisle. One of 1980’s cinemas most well-known cult anti-heroes. Armed with a MAC-10 machine gun, various shuriken, and spiked boots with steel shin guards. That were put together with the help of some golf-spikes according to Kurt Russell.

“The Presidents dead somebody’s had him for dinner”

This production has lot of various nods to horror movies, as you would expect from master independent filmmaker John Carpenter (The Fog). One of the characters is called Romero (Frank Doubleday), after Horror director George A. Romero. But it’s by no means a full-blown horror movie. That’s not to say its without its more, weirder moments. The streets here are so rough, the local inhabitants don’t walk they run around. For fear of becoming the next option on someone’s menu.

“What’s wrong with Broadway?”

Actor Kurt Russell, said the that this was the first movie he’d had to get in shape for. He lost 20lbs, and spent four months training with a local guy at a gym near his home. To play the role of quick hitting one eyed super soldier. Helping Russell’s to bring the character to life was his long-term stuntman Dick Warlock, the films stunt coordinator who also performed several stunts himself. In the novel based on the film Snake Plissken is a veteran of World War 3. Who lost the use of eye in a Military mission, while flying the Gullfire (Glider) over Leningrad. Nerve gas that was used during this war, has had a devasting effect on the population of the West coast of America. The story’s anti-hero is so tough, that he doesn’t even wince when someone twist’s a cross bow bolt that’s wedged in his thigh.

One of many memorable scenes, features the cynical Snake fighting the human nightmare. The 6’3 300lb plus old school Pro Wrestler Ox Baker. Who was almost twenty year veteran by the time he acted in this production. He had just appeared in Jackie Chan’s first American movie, Battle Creek Brawl (1980). Fellow Pro-Wrestler the late Bruiser Brody was the original choice for the role. The fight takes place in an old boxing ring, hardcore wrestling before it was even a term/thing. In round one the pair duke it out with baseball bats. For round two they switch to bloody baseball bats, with six-inch nails knocked through the ends. With blood- stained dust bin lids as shields. It’s clear the local promoter and audiences don’t like their fights to go further than two rounds. Losers leave the arena on a stretcher.

“Snake Plissken, I’ve heard of you, I heard you were dead”

There’s some of my favourite actors filling out the supporting roles. Ernest Borgnine (Cabbie), Adrienne Barbeau (Maggie) musician/actor Harry Dean Stanton (Brain) Donald Pleasence (The President) & Lee Van Cleef (Bob Hauk). Not forgetting Frank Doubleday, as the campy strutting scene stealing villain Romero. World War 2 veteran and former R.A.F radio operator turned actor Donald Pleasence was raised only a few miles from where I live. My Dads uncle’s friend, worked with him at local train station. Pleasence like his father worked as a Station Master, during his early life. He’s a fantastic actor, who can play a whole range of characters. From nasty villains to vulnerable Presidents caught in bad situations. He known to many movie fans as Stavro Blofield in You Only Live Twice (1967) & Rothko in Halloween (1978). Special mention goes to charismatic singer Isaac Hayes, who was the perfect choice to play the stylish Duke. Who rides around the sparse New York streets, in a car that’s decorated with chandeliers. The deep voiced soul singer Hayes looked like a natural on-screen, and more than formidable enough to fight one of Americas best soldiers.

“I guess I go in one way or the other... doesn't mean shit to me”

The costumes by designer Steven Loomis (The Fog) and films overall artistic direction, even had a big influence on Cyber Punk pioneer William Gibson. A young James Cameron (Terminator, Avatar), and his expert team of special effect artists. Worked on the films few Special effects shots. Despite having no access to CGI, they created all the on-screen computer FX's with the use of hand drawn animation. Which stills holds up pretty well, even against the big budget CGI effects featured in more recent movies.

“I’m ready to kick your ass out of the world, War hero”

Carpenter & his crew did a first-rate job of re-creating a big city, populated with the various different tribes. There were a tribe of Native Americans, who scenes were heavily cut from the final version. Despite some location work on Liberty Island in New York, a lot of the film was actually shot in L.A & Saint Lewis in Misssouri. Filmed almost entirely at night to get that other-worldly feel to it. The kind you get, if you walk around in early post-midnight hours. If you like retro sci-fi cinema, its one to watch if you haven’t already. Listen out for actress Jamie Leigh Curtis, who performs the narration at the start.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

DragonClaws
On 3/10/2022 at 10:47 AM, WangYu said:

@DragonClaws

Arnold’s battle roar gets my blood pumping, such a brilliant scene!

Agreed, it works really effectively especially with added use of the torch.

• Like 2

Expired (Ivan Sen, 2022 - Australia)
Writer-director Ivan Sen comes up with something fresh: a futuristic drama set in Hong Kong revolving around a hitman (Ryan Kwanten) who never had found love until he meets a nightclub singer (Jillian Nguyen). However, as he falls in love, his body ends up deteriorating and he looks for answers via a scientist (Hugo Weaving). It felt like a Johnnie To movie meshed with a small dash of Blade Runner but not heavy on action but more on the emotional aspects of love and its consequences. 

The Issue with Elvis (Charlotte Wincott, 2022 - USA)
Former 90's action star Jeff Wincott is back taking the lead, only this time, he does a straightforward acting role as a retired botanist who finds a possible runaway named Elvis (Wolfgang Wincott) and the two bond as he searches to find out where Elvis came from and decide whether he should bring him home or make sure he is safe. As you can tell, the film was directed by Jeff's wife and their son plays Elvis. This is a welcome return on a different route for former action star Wincott and his son IMO is a young actor who will have a good career road ahead because he was good in his film debut.

Kampterrein (Luhann Jansen, 2017 - South Africa)
I miss this type of comedy. Set for a weekend on a campground, a series of shenanigans and mishaps occur. The camp owner is trying to get a final additional star before his retirement. Two patriarchs go at odds with each other. One overbearing father can't stand the attention his daughter is getting. Kids playing pranks. A camp worker learning his celebrity crush is coming. The LGBT+ couple get punked with stepping constantly on dog poop. It's all subtle, no raunchy gags. Just slapstick and fun. 

Scream (Radio Silence, 2022 - USA)
Really enjoyed this fifth installment that follows both the sequel and "requel" rules. I think this one has some of the most graphically violent deaths since the original film. While Neve Campbell's screen time is minimal, at least they did her character more justice than Sally Hardesty in the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre (I still liked TCM '22 but that was my only gripe). 

4/20 Massacre (Dylan Reynolds, 2018 - USA)
Five women go camping to celebrate 4/20 and one of the five's birthday. A mysterious killer looking like a cross between Cousin Itt and Bigfoot begins killing off any weed smokers in the area. Most of the kills are slashing, but there are a few inventive deaths in terms of two characters. I met lead actress Jamie Bernadette this past Monday and she is so good as birthday girl Jess, who is also an expert in fighting. Bernadette has a dance background and does most if not all of her own stunts in her films. I can see her as a potential action star but she is comfortable with making horror films. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Kill List (2011) - Recently, two people whose opinions on movies I respect, said two completely different things about this movie. One of them loved it and one of them despised it. So I was eager to give it a go.

I can honestly say this is one of the best movies I’ve seen this year. I’d advise everyone to go into it absolutely blind. Don’t read ANYTHING about it. I’m not even going to go into any plot details. Just know that it’s a psychological horror and a slow burn.

I do recommend having subtitles on as this is a very British film and even I, a Brit, struggled with understanding some of the characters at times. It’s very mumbly.

I suppose this isn’t much of a review because I’m not talking about the film all that much. I will say this… It’s incredibly brutal and nicely builds tension into its phenomenal third act.

It’s currently streaming on Shudder.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I do recommend having subtitles on as this is a very British film and even I, a Brit, struggled with understanding some of the characters at times. It’s very mumbly.

Holy what? British people even find british people hard to understand at times? Woah. Ive heard twenty minutes in any direction accents can vary quite a bit, interesting. Not even sure if Ive witnessed a british person in real life as an american hahah.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
8 hours ago, Koravec said:

Holy what? British people even find british people hard to understand at times? Woah. Ive heard twenty minutes in any direction accents can vary quite a bit, interesting. Not even sure if Ive witnessed a british person in real life as an american hahah.

There are SO many different accents across our island. Here's some: Lancashire, Yorkshire, Scouse(ugh), Brummie, West Country, Cockney, Geordie, Cornish, Anglian, Wales (North & South), Northern Ireland, Scottish (Edinburgh different from Glasgow for instance) etc etc. I'm sure my Americans think we all speak like Terry Thomas (Rich) or Ray Winstone (Poor)!

• Like 4

Drunken Monk
9 hours ago, Koravec said:

I should have been a bit clearer. While one of the dudes has a strong cockney accent, the other guy is actually from Northern Ireland so technically not British.

But yeah, some accents are a real struggle. Listening to two Geordies go back and forth definitely needs subtitles. It doesn't help that I've now lived in the US for almost twenty years. I'm out of touch with hearing British people chat.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

There are SO many different accents across our island. Here's some: Lancashire, Yorkshire, Scouse(ugh), Brummie, West Country, Cockney, Geordie, Cornish, Anglian, Wales (North & South), Northern Ireland, Scottish (Edinburgh different from Glasgow for instance) etc etc. I'm sure my Americans think we all speak like Terry Thomas (Rich) or Ray Winstone (Poor)!

I know there are many accents in the UK. I still remember the scene in National Lampoon's European Vacation where Clark attempts to use a translator when Mel Smith starts talking at the hotel. Which accent is Mel Smith using here? 

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
13 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Excuse me?

I'm a MAN U fan :-P

11 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I know there are many accents in the UK. I still remember the scene in National Lampoon's European Vacation where Clark attempts to use a translator when Mel Smith starts talking at the hotel. Which accent is Mel Smith using here? 

Cockney? Essex?

• Like 3

FightingFool

Gasoline Alley.

Digital rented it with 2 friends so cost was not much/snout. I have several times decided don`t ever watch again low budget Bruce Willis movies as they mostly suck. He appears here bit more than in some others, ok role as cop. Obviously he has no real interest in these cheapos, just gives his name and some time to movie&collects salary.

Anyway, some hookers are killed and owner of tattoo shop is suspected. Of course he is innocent and starts to look for culprit...it`s actually fairly good movie which suffers from very slow 1st half. Actors are OK for b-movies, lead Devon Sawa is quite good. I have seen him only in "final destination" before but will again when Chucky BR is released.

Was it 5$ well spent? No, but have used money for worse things also...I don`t care Willis that much anymore to keep an eye for films he has made recently but am aware at least "a day to die" is out there waiting to be watched eventually.

**½/5.

• Like 2