What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Conan The Barbarian – (1982) – Dark, savage & atmospheric classic 1980’s fantasy swordplay adventure. Based on the stories and characters created by the late Robert E. Howard in the 1930’s. Arnold Schwarzenegger plays the formidable title character in a role he was born to play. He and his fellow warrior thief’s Valeria (Sandahl Bergman) & Subotai (Gerry Lopez), take on the wrath of a cannibalistic, snake worshipping sex cult. Led by the thousand-year-old Thulsa Doom (James Earl Jones), the man also responsible for the murderous decimation of his childhood home.

“The mounds have been here since the time of the Titans. Kings buried in them... great kings... domains once glittered like the light on a windy sea. Fire won't burn there... no fire at all. That's why I live down here in the wind”

Set during the fictional- Hyborian age, a mysterious time period created by writer Robert E. Howard. It’s a primitive time, where the empires of old such as Atlantis, have been swallowed by the sea. What some people might now say is inspired by Alternative history?. A subject Howard heavily researched himself. The film production artist/designer Ron Cobb (Star Wars). Did a first-class job of bringing this brutal nihilistic fantasy world to life. His collaboration with costume designer John Bloomfield. It’s just one of the many reasons, this film worked so well.

The exterior of the cave, where Conan takes the Atlantean Generals sword. Now a long dead giant/northman, with a sword so heavy only a barbarian can wield it. The footage was actually filmed at a genuine Neolithic site in the La Ciudad Encantada area of Spain. An area Director John Milius new well, as he had filmed some scenes there for The Wind & The Lion (1975) with Sean Connery. The original filming location of Yugoslavia was quickly swapped for Spain. Due to a war that was going if in the country at the time.

“You don't even have a rope! Ha! Two fools who laugh at death. Do you know what horrors lie beyond that wall?”

Scripter Oliver Stone had a much more elaborate fantasy setting, planned for his original story. Where Conan fights a horde of orcs in the finale. Budget constraints led to certain changes, with more of a pre-history setting. This project first started back in 1975, when producer Edward R.Pressman saw a rough cut of the documentary Pumping Iron. It would take another seven years, before it eventually reached films fans.

This film has one of the best opening credit sequences of all time. Which just wouldn’t be the same, without late composer Basil Poledorius epic skillful score. “Basil Poledouris made extensive use of Musync, a music and tempo editing hardware and software system which modified the tempo of his compositions and synchronized them with the action in the film. Conan was the first film to use the system” – IMDB.Com.

“Crom laughs at your four winds, he laughs from his mountain”
“My god is stronger. He is the everlasting sky! your god lives underneath him”

The film was submitted to the MPAA three times, to avoid an X-Rating. Universal pictures want it to be R-Rated, so they could draw in a much larger audience in. Many scenes were toned down, for its time Conan was the Braveheart or 300 of its day. In terms of pushing screen combat to new bloody heights on-screen. For this reason, it got a lot of trouble from the American movie censors. Below, are some of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s comments on dealing with the ratings boards. Taken from his biography TOTAL RECALL: Arnold Schwarzenegger My Unbelievably True-Life Story.

“I was mad as hell because I felt that everyone of the killings in Conan was well shot and extraordinary. So what if the first thing you see is Thulsa Doom men raiding Conan’s boyhood village and that his mothers head goes flying through the air”

The death of Conan’s parents was originally much longer and bloodier. The scene where Conan’s father fights Thulsa Dooms men and his dogs of war, was shortened down to avoid an X-rating. Conan’s father was played by teacher, former bodybuilder and arm wrestler Bill Smith (Any Which Way You Can). The special effects team even rigged up some fancy effects, with an animatronic head. Only for the whole scene to be reduced to a single non gory shot. That didn’t even include any of the special effects shots at all. Despite the FX team spending hours to create the sequence.

When Conan is shackled to the torturous green energy corn mill/Wheel of Pain. He gets bigger and stronger, as he endures the seasons. Until he proves he’s worthy of becoming a gladiator. The censors removed shots of the other slave boy’s, who had been reduced to skeletons hanging from the chains. During the gladiator pit fight montage, keep you eyes peeled. There’s a shot of Conan holding up the severed heads of two female fighters. The fight itself was cut from the film, but this brief clip remains. Some of the original trailers also contain unseen footage.

The whole topic of cut/missing scenes, is a big wormhole in itself. I’ve just going over a small handful of what was edited out. Maybe one day we will get to see the Giant who guards the top of the snake tower, who has an eye in the back of his head?. At two hours plus, this film still packs an epic punch. When Conan The Barbarian first hit DVD in 2003, some short extra scenes were added back into film. Along with a new edit of the ending.

“All the gods, they cannot sever us. If I were dead and you were still fighting for life, I'd come back from the darkness. Back from the pit of hell to fight at your side.”

Actress Sandahl Bergman is excellent as Conan’s formidable larger than life fellow warrior Valeria. In the original story Conan falls in love with a pirate queen called Belit. Along with Arnold and co-star former surfer Gerry Lopez. Sandahl Bergman underwent extensive Kendo and sword training under Karate Master Kiyoshi Yamazaki (Dune, Red Sonja). Severing her index finger, while rehearsing one of the films many fight scenes. The actors serious training, gives the well-staged fight scene an authentic look.

The film has heavy Eastern & Nordic influences & themes, along with the choice of costumes, characters and sets used. Japanese actor Mako, has one of the stand out performances as narrating wizard Akiro. Who somehow manages to single-handedly carry about 500lb’s worth of armour and weapons. In a comedic pre battle sequence. The man with the super voice James Earl Jones. Is a commanding presence as always, playing the shifty looking cult leader Thulsa Doom.

Hat’s off to anyone who got this far, but I can’t wrap this up. Without mentioning the contribution, that the world of bodybuilding made to the Conan production. Only a former seven-time Mr Olympia could play this kind of role. “If there hadn't been an Arnold around for Conan, we would have had to create him".John Milius - Muscle & Fitness magazine, July 1982. Schwarzenegger, also gave his old training partner Sven Ole-Thorsen his screen debut. When he got him the role of Thulsa Dooms powerful war hammer wielding henchman Thorgrim. With his on-screen partner in crime Rexor, played by towering former NFL player Ben Davidson. Look out for former Mr Universe/Olympia Franco Columbo, in a tattoed cameo role. Expertly directed by John Milius, with some stand out action scenes staged by Terry Leonard & Juan Majan. You can see this was a real passion project for John Milius. Who along with a great cast and crew, delivered one of the best fantasy movies of all time.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@DragonClaws

Conan the Barbarian one of my top 10 movies of all time, reading your review even got me goosebumps lol

I knew there were some scenes cut but I had no idea thee were that many! I hope a more complete version will find a release one day as it is a real cult film these days. Very interested in the extended gladiatorial fights, they look so nasty, filthy and hellish. I have always found those scenes to be way too short! Also Conan's parents dead scenes  are very interesting to see in full.

In the end it was probably for the best that the more fantastical elements have been omitted. There was supposedly a fight scene with the skeleton in the cave and like you mentioned a fight with a monster up on the tower. Given the year it was produced it would probably look silly now unless it was cleverly filmed and done with costumes I can't see it having worked.

That very brief fight scene between Conan, Rexor and Thorgrim is the most epic fight scene in history of cinema, in my opinion of course :-P These guys were like giants clashing, that Throgrim hammer was so cool to my young eyes back in the day.

The soundtrack is just beautiful, it carries the film and turns almost each scene into art, I often play the entire soundtrack, It doesn't need the film to shine.

PS fun trivia Sven Ole Thorson also fought Conan in the (very disappointing) sequel in the forest. 

PS2 that scene in the hut with the hot demon woman scared the hell out of me as a kid

• Like 2

Just now, WangYu said:

PS fun trivia Sven Ole Thorson also fought Conan in the (very disappointing) sequel in the forest. 

Thats right, hes the last guy he fights in the clearing I think?.

Just now, WangYu said:

In the end it was probably for the best that the more fantastical elements have been omitted. There was supposedly a fight scene with the skeleton in the cave and like you mentioned a fight with a monster up on the tower. Given the year it was produced it would probably look silly now unless it was cleverly filmed and done with costumes I can't see it having worked.

Agreed, not everything they cut out would add something to the film or make it better. A lots down to your own personal opinion on it.

Just now, WangYu said:

There was supposedly a fight scene with the skeleton in the cave and like you mentioned a fight with a monster up on the tower.

I've read a few theories on this sequence, some say there wasnt a fight scene filmed. That skeliton originaly stands up and then crumbles before it actually reaches him, but it dont turn out right.

• Like 1

@DragonClaws

Milius made all the right choices apart from cutting the gladiatorial scenes. There is something very mythical about the film, it feels primitive almost like a caveman film. The lack of special effects is what make this movie standout, otherwise it would have turned into another cheesy hercules or sinbad film (though i love those as well lol)

Milius suggests a world of magic and monster but we mostly have to imagine it and imagination is very powerful! It was basically like any other monster/scy fi/fantasy film of its time, less is more.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WangYu said:

Milius made all the right choices apart from cutting the gladiatorial scenes. There is something very mythical about the film, it feels primitive almost like a caveman film. The lack of special effects is what make this movie standout, otherwise it would have turned into another cheesy hercules or sinbad film (though i love those as well lol)

Some scenes suffer continuity/jump cuts due to the censors edits. Such as the scene where Conan severes the head of the prone man. Laying on the ground, during the raid on Thulsa Dooms hidden palace. Milius made an X-Rated film, but Universal wanted it toned down. I dont think he was happy about making those additional changes?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

As small homage to Gaspard Ulliel who passed away today, I decided to watch Hannibal Rising. As a standalone "psychopathic killer" movie, this is fine. Not much more than fine...but fine. It has everything you need: interesting characters, a solid backstory and the prerequisite gore (although, I didn't watch the unrated version).

However, as a Hannibal Lecter film, this one kind of shits all over him. I think it ruins Lecter by giving him a backstory. Part of his charm is that he's an enigma. A complex enigma at that. We don't need to know his backstory. There's a hint that we wouldn't even grasp why he is how he is.
Hannibal Rising makes things a bit silly. Basically, Hannibal becomes a revenge fueled samurai who is tracking down the people that ate his sister. It's all very on the nose. A nose it subsequently bites off.

So, as a film it's average. As a Hannibal Lecter film - with context - it's pretty garbage. All respect to Ulliel but I'm assuming this isn't one of his best. Although, his performance is rather good in a subdued maniac kind of way.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

@DragonClaws I have not read your post on Mr Majestyk because I plan on seeing it sooner than later. 

Seems crazy how short ago it seems High Fidelity came out. I do a lot of lists, so that is a fun aspect of it.  You can find breaking the fourth wall since the beginning of cinema (Roscoe Arbuckle has some great gags with this).  Ferris Bueller's Day Off was another one that probably influenced this film (though Hughes did it a number of times).

• Like 2

Just now, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I do a lot of lists, so that is a fun aspect of it.  You can find breaking the fourth wall since the beginning of cinema (Roscoe Arbuckle has some great gags with this).  Ferris Bueller's Day Off was another one that probably influenced this film (though Hughes did it a number of times).

Thats right, it was unique for the time but there's a long list of movies that break the fourth wall.

Just now, masterofoneinchpunch said:

@DragonClaws I have not read your post on Mr Majestyk because I plan on seeing it sooner than later. 

I look forward to hearing your opinions on this one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Some scenes suffer continuity/jump cuts due to the censors edits. Such as the scene where Conan severes the head of the prone man. Laying on the ground, during the raid on Thulsa Dooms hidden palace. Milius made an X-Rated film, but Universal wanted it toned down. I dont think he was happy about making those additional changes?.

From what I heard, some of the scenes were so ridiculously bloody that he didn't want to use them anyway, like the fight scene with the giant snake. The death scene of King Osric also didn't turn out the way he had envisioned it so he cut it. It makes me wonder though why there were not more deleted scenes on that dvd release

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 9:18 AM, DiP said:

Predator (1987) - 10/10

Predator 2 (1990) 8/10

I always felt Predator 2 was a fair bit of fun. Charmingly violent, great use of L.A. locale, and Danny Glover makes an odd but cool lead (even if I laughed a bit in the opening scene when he crashed into the crime scene like a macho action hero yet seconds later he had the exact same "too old for this shit" look as in Lethal Weapon :laugh )

On 1/14/2022 at 7:02 AM, DragonClaws said:
Mr Majestyk – (1974) –

I just rewatched this and a whole bunch of other Bronson films recently. Good stuff! They were showing them on Japanese TV late last year to celebrate his 100th bitrhday. They even had a really cool ad for the TV broadcastings which I recoded and uploaded:

• Like 2

I watched both Spider-Man 3 (2007) and The Amazing Spider-Man 2: The Rise of Electro (2014) this week. Both films are maligned for much of the same reasons: overlong, overstuffed, too many villains, etc. I had not watched the former since I went to see at the theater, while I had such a toxic reaction to the first Amazing Spider-Man that I had no desire to watch the sequel. Apparently the producers publicly declared that TASM2 was not going to suffer from the faults as SM3...and then went ahead and committed those same mistakes while compounding the problem with terrible villain designs and re-interpretations, not to mention forgettable action sequences. The action sequences for Spider-Man 3 were great, on the other hand.

The tone of SM3 was a bit more consistent in Sam Raimi's film. Compare with TASM2, which is frequently dark and brooding (and outright depressing at the end), but bookends the film with sequences featuring Rhino that belong in a completely different film. The latter also suffers from introducing three villains in a single film, so none of them feel as developed as they should. At least James Franco's Harry Osborne descent into villainy was developed over the course of three films. Sandman needed more screen time, but his connection to events in the first film helped give him an extra dimension. TASM2's Harry Osborne never felt as close to Peter Parker as the script wanted us to believe, while his acquisition of his trademark weaponry was little more than a plug for an unmade sequel starring The Sinister Six.

That said, both Amazing Spider-Man movies lay at the bottom of the list of movies made about the character since 2002. I'm just not quite sure which is worse.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

@DrNgor

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is my least favorite of all the Spider-Man films. I saw both of the Andrew Garfield ones in the theater.  I do like all of the references in the No Way Home. So I cannot blame the actor nor the characters themselves.  I don't mind SM3 and this it is over-maligned.  I am in the mood to rewatch it sooner than later while I do not want to rewatch either AMS anytime soon (though I did give a decent review to the first, while absolutely disliking the second).

• Like 2

I was looking for some mindless entertainment today so I sat down and watched 2021’s Escape Room: Tournament of Champions. I didn’t love the first film but I thought it had incredible set design. Well, the second film is much of the same. Though I did enjoy this one a lot more. It’s actually REALLY entertaining despite being 90 minutes of people trying to escape a variety of…well…rooms.

It’s all good fun. My chief complaint is that it isn’t R rated. It could have done with some heavy gore to spice things up a little. But if you’re looking for a very easy semi-horror film to watch, I’d recommend this one. It’s like Saw’s little brother.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2022 at 6:19 AM, Takuma said:

I just rewatched this and a whole bunch of other Bronson films recently.

The one with James Mason as the bad guy right?, I've only viewed Public Domian copy's on T.V.

• Like 1

I love Bronson. Check out “breakout”, “you can’t win em all” “hard times” “chino” and “soleil rouge”. They’re all good fun!

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The one with James Mason as the bad guy right?, I've only viewed Public Domian copy's on T.V.

Is that Cold Sweat? I haven't seen that one.

The ones that were on Japanese TV were Violent City, Mr. Majestyk, The Mechanic, Breakheart Pass, and Death Wish 1-5. I had seen all of them before except Breakheart Pass and Death Wish 4, but I had good time revisiting them.

• Like 3

Cold Sweat is great. Nice locations and one of best car chases imo..Was bit "shocked"

Spoiler

on scene Bronson snapped neck of his ex-buddy without hesitation

Die Hard 1. Must be at least 7 years since last view and it`s probably best american action movie. Remember when this arrived to rental vhs viewed it 4 or 5 times in 24 hours...Big money and great actors surely help but script and directing are excellent too. Some neat onliners around, tho not rival "commando" in that department..

• Like 2

Just now, Takuma said:

Is that Cold Sweat? I haven't seen that one.

Yes, I saw the shot of Bronson on the boat on the YouTube clip, and assumed it was Cold Sweat when its actually The Mechanic. It's not one of his best films, but if your fan its well worth watching.

Breakhart Pass isnt bad, they had some great source material with Alistair Macleans book. Death Wish 4 is good mindless fun, but I think Part 3 just has the edge on it.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Yes, I saw the shot of Bronson on the boat on the YouTube clip, and assumed it was Cold Sweat when its actually The Mechanic. It's not one of his best films, but if your fan its well worth watching.

Haven`t seen that for years but liked "mechanic". Remake was OK but original has better ending..Death wish 3 was his last great movie. At times bit silly and mindless but it has lot good scenes and city war in the end cannot be ignored when think some of 80s best action scenes..Cabo Blanco has also oceanic scenes and it`s decent movie.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

The Ruling Class (1972: Peter Medak):

My feelings are somewhere in between Leonard Maltin’s over complimentary capsule review and Roger Ebert’s barely dislike review here: https://bit.ly/3GWpHe7 Interesting that Ebert missuses the words peckish and apoplectic. I agree with him that it is bit longer than it should be and feels like it needs editing.  I have not seen the theatrical cut so I cannot compare.  But I feel there is enough interesting elements to recommend it.

At the heart of this is Peter O’Toole’s performance as J.C. aka Jack the 14th Earl of Gurney.  He went a bit daft when he was forced to attend public school and decided that he was god full of love, long hair and very bad makeup.  He is fascinating in his acting even if sometimes he goes full Spinal Tap.

His barmyness is, of course, inherited.  His dad is a nutter. You learn that when in the beginning you have the autoerotic asphyxiation (shades of the later David Carradine sans tutu) of a raving man.  A respected nutter though.  The English appreciate their eccentricities as long as you say and mostly do the right things.  Murder is not, unless you accidentally shoot a poacher than that is fine.  You must love the peasants “Pull!”

With his death Jack, I mean J.C. inherits the castle.  There are people who want to see him sent to a loony bin and/or at least have a simple lobotomy.   A German psychologist believes in him to get better (though you cannot trust the Germans, I learned this from Fawlty Towers). And he does or at least we think he does. The name Jack will not full anyone as to what happens later on.

Medak has directed more than I realized including Romeo is Bleeding which I liked; though several I still need to see like The Changeling and The Krays.

Interesting use of zoom (both in and out) and handheld.  Lots of cross references throughout the movie.  Nothing subtle.  Tons of references to English literature and English and American cinema (even W.C. Fields).

The Ian Christie essay that comes with the Criterion DVD is worth reading.  But what is a bit off is his statement “But what makes The Ruling Class exceptional (and difficult for some) are it’s outrageous mixing of genres and its sheer ambition.”  And “It is perhaps all very un-English” (after referencing several English influences for the film).  The problem I have is one of Monty Python, especially Monty Python’s Flying Circus which came out in 1969 and was still going on when this film was released.

It really is hard not to think of Monty Python when watching this.  For me this works best with the dry humor: the ink blot, the random songs, the psychologist to look at the back (he’s a bloomin psychologist not a medical doctor).  OK that one is obvious.  Dinsdale seems like he should be running for "Upper Class Twit of the Year" (yes this skit was before the film) or one of the Gumbys.. It is all over-the-place which both helps and hurts it as the cohesion is not there.

So, I like it.  It is worth watching for film fans and/or those looking for eccentric humor. Then watch Life of Brian (1979) or eschewing that will be the sort of pig headed ignorance I've come to expect from you non creative garbage.

• Like 2

Ghost Ship (2002) - This is a poster child for "movies that never live up to the first scene". It's never scary, atmospheric, or spooky...not even mildly unsettling. After the infamous steel cable scene at the beginning, there's no real reason to want to watch this.

• Like 2

BLACKBALL - (2003) – “It’s that bloke in The Matrix in it?”. British comedy based on a true story about a Torquay Bowls player Griff Sanders who got kicked out of his Club for improper conduct. Sander’s is named Cliff Starkey, and played by actor Paul Kaye in the film version of the story. Directed by the late British comedian, actor & writer the talented Mel Smith (The Princess Bride). The Royal Torquay Bowls Club featured in the movie, was the actually one Cliff Sander’s got banned from, with the club members playing extras.

Story Synopsis- Try as he might, Cliff Starkey (Paul Kaye) just can’t keep out of trouble. In his sleepy coastal town on the English Coast, nothing much inspired him… apart from bowls. When Rick Schwartz (Vince Vaughn), a slick American sports agent, takes Cliff under his wing, the bad boy of bowls is soon turned into a national Bowling icon, with hysterical results.

Flipping the gentle quite sport of bowls, and turning it into a huge event on the scale of more popular media friendly sports. When the man with the expert ball control Cliff Starkey enters one competitive match, he walks onto the green strutting to the Rocky tune. Played by a local brass band. There’s also a nod to Rocky 2, when his character struggles with filming a T.V commercial.

“Its Bowls, the sport that time forget, re-born tonight on a rink of fire, on a crimson green, in the purpose built Targi-Tex Bowlerdrome”

It’s a solid comedy, that simultaneously manages to be serious and touching at the same time. Without it becoming too cheesy, or sickly in how it presents this feel-good story with little romantic twist. Where the main hero, finds out he has more in common with his hated arch rival than he thinks. There are some nice comments on class and large corporations among the more serious material.

“Yesterday they were enemies, today we call them England”

The extensive cast of British acting/comedy talent both behind and in front of the camera. Really adds some weight to this-productions cast list. With Bernard Cribbings (The Railway Children), Imelda Staunton, Johnny Vegas, Alice Evan’s, Ian McNeice, and writer Tim Firth to name a few. Look out for a cameo from Australian soap actor and comedian Mark Little. Playing one of the world’s deadliest Bowls players. Not forgetting Vince Vaughn, as the highly motivated sports promoter. @AlbertV, is that Vuaghn doing the Martial Art kick, to the black wheely bin?.

“With Bowls its different, its just you, your hand, your eyes, and two and a half pounds of wood”

Veteran American actor James Cromwell has the stand-out performances as ice cool Bowl’s Master Ray. With his perfect English accent that never breaks. Paul Kaye holds his own as the cocky ill-mannered comic underdog Cliff Starkey, who still has a lot to learn. Setting his bowling ball on fire, and performing a Voodoo style ritual in-front of the flames in one scene. The Libertines, The Who, Queen, Bill Conti, Mozart and more appear on the varied soundtrack. With The Libertine covering The Small Faces- song Lazy Sunday. If you are looking for a comedy that’s off the beaten track, and enjoy quirkier British cinema. Then this is one film you should give a chance.

Trailer, using the movies alternative U.S title.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 2:56 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

The Ruling Class (1972: Peter Medak):

My feelings are somewhere in between Leonard Maltin’s over complimentary capsule review and Roger Ebert’s barely dislike review here: https://bit.ly/3GWpHe7 Interesting that Ebert missuses the words peckish and apoplectic. I agree with him that it is bit longer than it should be and feels like it needs editing.  I have not seen the theatrical cut so I cannot compare.  But I feel there is enough interesting elements to recommend it.

Another movie I grew up watching on Sunday afternoons, its a big parody of the old British class system. None of which I got, until I watched it at college. At lot of the jokes, are having a dig at the class system and its beleifs. Which havent entirely faded into the background. My parents could relate to it more than me, as they had been brought up in a different era. When they grew up, nobody could mock these kind of things in movies. Then after the 60's it all started to break lose.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

The Mortal Storm (1940: Frank Borzage)  

Finally saw this.  I’ve known about it for years and wanted to see it for years but was waiting for a better release, so I just picked up the MOD release of it.  Borzage is a hit-and-miss director.  His great films like Street Angel and 7th Heaven are rightfully heralded.  Ones like Young America and They Had to See Paris are awful.  This belongs more in the great film category.  He has a good visual style which is not always apparent in his mediocre films, it is like he is going through the motions.  But he kept busy, so it makes sense if he tuned out because he always had something later to direct.  In 1940 he had four films alone.

One of the many earlier Hollywood films based on a book.  The book and movie especially seem prescient given that America has not entered the war yet (and neither has James Stewart).  The film can certainly seem a bit didactic, but it was correct on how people can swing toward one particularly dangerous philosophy (one of the important aspects that make it important that a government should never get too powerful – even if you think it is on your side, it could switch).

The writing was on the wall.  You had films like this (and Hitchcock’s The Lady Vanishes) which eschews any isolationist policy.  Here you have a family and friends in an idyll backdrop painting, I mean town, torn apart by the Nazi machine.  Hitler comes into power and his policies are quickly implemented.  You have a professor Professor Viktor Roth (Frank Morgan) who refuses to change his biological curriculum.  He his jailed for this.  His daughter (Margaret Sullavan; who at this point in her career is billed higher than Stewart; her career is a short worn, but you have to see her with Stewart in The Shop Around the Corner) is engaged to a member, but later falls for a semi-pacifist (James Stewart).  They are the two stars, you know they belong together.

Ward Bond as a Nazi.  I always think westerns with him regardless of all the films he has been in like It’s a Wonderful Life.

A well-made movie with solid performances.  Great cinematography.  Always nice to get another Stewart film watched (not many left unseen). He works well with Sullavan.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Another movie I grew up watching on Sunday afternoons, its a big parody of the old British class system. None of which I got, until I watched it at college. At lot of the jokes, are having a dig at the class system and its beleifs. Which havent entirely faded into the background. My parents could relate to it more than me, as they had been brought up in a different era. When they grew up, nobody could mock these kind of things in movies. Then after the 60's it all started to break lose.

Have you seen Monty Python's Flying Circus?  That skews everything and why a lot of what is in here is not quite new to me (or to the film).  I probably reference Monty Python too much though (several hidden jokes throughout that essay).

• Like 2