What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Death of Nintendo - Dir. Raya Martin [2020] Philippines

Charming but predictable coming of age story of a group of 4 friends growing up in Manila in the early 90s bonding over their love of basketball and video games. The usual 'coming of age' tropes of dealing with the onset of puberty, unrequited love and family issues are present here but rather than a generic teen movie, this has a very distinct Filipino flavor with the specter of Catholicism, class and even colorism raising its head. Not too mention the ever present threat of an erupting Mount Pinatubo and the perpetual brownouts that afflict Manila's electrical system. The film had a genuine retro feel with the soundtrack, wardrobe, slang and popular culture all reflecting that period.

Edited by Yihetuan
fixed title
  • Like 3

Paradise Alley – (1978) – “If I can promise you fifty wins before Christmas, what would you say?”
The unusual alternative Christmas movie, featuring a young Tom Waits acting debut. The musician and writer had a minor cameo role, playing bar piano player Mumbles. Written and directed by Sylvester Stallone, who came up with the story before he wrote the first Rocky movie. This was the then young actors/writer’s quirky directorial debut. Which was eventually released as a novel titled Hell’s Kitchen.

The story focuses on three Carboni brothers Cosmo (Sylvester Stallone), Lenny (Armand Assante) & Victor (Lee Canalito). Who are trying to get themselves and their girlfriends, out of the tough poverty stricken Hell’s Kitchen slums. Set in freezing late December New York city, during the mid-40’s. When big Victor Carboni realizes he has a natural talent for the wild brutal world of Pro-Wrestling. He sets his sights on the big time, and buying a house boat. Star Stallone has a personal link to the setting, being born in Hells Kitchen in 1946.

Formidable Professional Wrestling Icon and Legend Terry Funk, made his big screen debut here. He met Sylvester Stallone in 1977, after responding to a letter about the actor wanting Wrestlers for his next movie. Funk said in his biography, that most of his fellow Wrestlers must have thrown the letter away. Assuming it was just some kind of bad joke.

“Hey, Vic. Frankie here wants to have a friendly arm-wrestling contest with you.”

The Funker would go on to play a big part in the making of this movie. Staging the films fight choreography and training the 6’5 Lee Canalito for his role as a Victor Carboni (The Salami Kid). Canalito, was a former amateur boxer whom Stallone managed at one point. Screen acting natural Terry Funk nearly steals the entire film here, as cruel vampire teeth wearing, bulldog necked Frankie The Thumper.

The Wrestling choreography is heavily stylized, for the movie screen. A number of 1970’s Wrestling stars filled out the extra parts, including Terry Funks brother Dory Funk Jr, and future Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase. Haku, Dick Murdoch, Ray Stevens, Gene Kinski, Bob Roop, to name just a few of the Paradise Alley roster.

“Times is tough, when a guy can’t even make money pretending to be a cripple, the worlds getting to be a cheap place”

Paradise Alley is the name of a private bar, that stages bizarre all-in shoot style wrestling matches. Which just happen to make a lot of money via illegal gambling. Its rougher than the WWE, that’s for sure. No ringside matt’s, no crowd barriers, no rules, and red painted skulls attached to the ring posts. The finale features a 12-minute match, that took a number of months to rehearse.

Sylvester Stallone defended the wrestlers, against negative comments by crew members. Pointing out, how they often performed live with only one take to get it right. Stallone even went as far, to appear at a televised Houston Wrestling show, where he also did a guest commentary spot. To show his appreciation for the Pro-Wrestling business.

“Get a job you wino bums, don’t you know Santa when you see him?”

This is a much darker and serious movie, than Rocky (1976). Cosmo Carboni, is a like a much rougher and more emotionally hardened version of Rocky Balboa. That said, its not without its lighter moments. It just doesn’t paint life to be all sunshine and roses either. It’s worth watching Paradise Alley, just to see Cosmo Carboni fend off two muggers, while wearing a stolen Santa outfit.

“That guys too stupid to be scared, he’s a primitive”

The film was heavily edited by the studio, much to the director’s annoyance. The cuts must have had a big impact on the story, and how it comes across on-screen. Stallone once said, that the film was originally much-darker and more surreal. There’s a solid cast of supporting actors with Aimee Eccles, Frank Stallone, Kevin Conway, Joe Spinell, Frank McRae, and Paul Mace. Actors Anne Archer & Joyce Ingalls, also deserve special mention. Miss Archer always has a strong presence. Her on-screen love interest Lenny, is played by Armand Assante. The two performers have really nice chemistry on-screen. By no means a classic, it’s still worth viewing if you enjoy 1970’s cinema.

(The Wrestling information in this review, is sourced from the following book - More Than Just Hardcore by Terry Funk & Scott E.Williams)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

Live Free or Die Hard (2007: Len Wiseman):

This is one of the more important action films I have not seen (the only Die Hard I had not seen), plus I’ve had a few Action Twitter folks tweet about this recently.  I have wanted to see this for years.  This film is crazy, fun, has an annoying sidekick (Justin Long) who is about as believable a hacker as well anyone in Fast &Furious.

This is a Die Hard masquerading as a disaster movie mixed with Mission Impossible film.  After seeing he later Fast & Furious before this, also makes me think of the connections between all three franchises.  The hacker angles have not been done to death yet and the best Mission Impossible films were not yet made and F&F had not gone completely bonkers (yes F&F takes from Mi unapologetically and apparently here as well).

Like Sinbad the Sailor or Jessica Fletcher (or heck Monk) it is usually best to stay away from these people as something bad is going to happen.  Like in Clerks, he was not even supposed to work today.  So a routine assignment of rounding up a suspected hacker leads to a computer doomsday scenario where black clad Thomas Gabriel (Timothy Olyphant: did you know he was from Modesto?) is doing his version of a fire-sale (bring down all computers aka America) for nefarious reasons.

Negatives: sometimes the soundtrack is a bit too over-the-top annoying.  Sometimes John McClane is a bit too stupid as this stupidity is used as exposition in explaining everything (this gets annoying).  Some of the fight scenes are overly editing (while some are not), usually the ones involving Bruce Willis (must hide the stunt double) are a bit bad. And is Maggie Q a terminator? She gets hit by a car, dragged through screens and is able walk -- no way.

While the action can be over-the-top too, it can also be exhilarating and exciting.

So the movie breaks the rules of physics Scotty and it breaks believably more than it should, but it is fun, intense and I wish I saw this in the theater.  But I'm glad I finally saw it.

• Like 2

The French Dispatch (2021) - Wes Anderson undressed Lea Seydoux, god bless his soul for that. To be completely honest, at that moment I stopped caring about the plot, script, direction or anything else for that matter, but was concentred enough to conclude this is defo not among my fave WA movies. 

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

Watched Cobra (1986: George P. Cosmatos):

This was the film I had wanted to see for the longest time (since it came out), but had not yet.  I’ve caught up on a lot of 80s films this year (and yes this is mentioned in The Goldbergs).  I knew this was not going to be a top-tier film.  It is a Cannon film, which is a mixed bag (mostly not-so-good) and it is considered lower end Stallone, but Stallone is one of the writers.  I’m sure he had his hand in the many one-liners throughout the film.

It is most obviously in the vein of Dirty Harry: one-liners, a cop that does the dirty work against protocol, fabulous gun, serial killers, Reni Santoni …  It is more than an homage.  It is basically a remake.

The main serial killer (Brian Thompson) seems to be sweating profusely no matter what.  It is like he has malaria.  Seriously something is wrong with him -- besides being a killer. What a knife though.

Massive negative points for killing off David Rasche (though his death seemed weird, I thought he would pop back up somehow).  Big Sledge Hammer fan here. The real Sledge would have killed everyone here -- yes everyone.

Also negative: the advertising is everywhere.  It’s like a Hong Kong film.  It is awesome that the cans are pointed in the right direction.

This is an important tip if you are carrying your gun without a holster: never have the gun in your pants pointing at your crotch.  Cobra does not pass gun safety 101 or common sense 101.

Leonard Maltin dogs the film (*½/****) in his mini-review, but states that the action ending is good (which it is). The ending is indeed pretty cool.  I love the car crashes (no CGI hee hee), and the whole siege aspect of the ending. Though there are a few hilarious goofy scenes: at least once a bad guy seems to be jumping into a bullet and looks like a ballet dancer before being hit.  There is one scene that is a bit scary until you realize that a motorcycle hits a dummy (it reminded me of a scene in Ben-Hur where a dummy gets ran over and people had thought it was a real person).  There is nothing realistic about anything in the movie.  If you get caught up on why the hospital is empty for no reason or that Stallone’s Cobra is not really human or that Brigitte Nielson really cannot act (I mean really cannot act) than yeah you will dislike this movie.  If you like snappy one-liners, violence, 80s cop films and Stallone then you will like this movie.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

The Night of the Iguana (1964: John Huston):

I am overall a fan of Huston.  All of his films are adaptations of novels and plays (which some will say this is the reason Huston is not an auteur).  This one comes from a Tennessee Williams play (he was actually on location during the shoot and helped with rewrites).

I liked this more than I thought.  It does not have a high reputation when considering other Huston’s films as well as Williams’s adapted films.  But the movie works because of the dialog (though sometimes it does feel like an Eric Rohmer movie and/or stage play – though Huston is not going to make it look like one as it was filmed on location (and it looked hotter than Dune did).

Huston loved Mexico and lived there off-and-on.  It is hard not to think of his later Under the Volcano (also dealing with an alcoholic, a much worse alcoholic and that film is more bleak).  So he picked a beautiful off-the-beaten path location for what was probably much more claustrophobic stage play.

Shannon (Burton) is a recovering alcoholic with a past as a preacher (he still plays one or is he still one) and has a job as a tour guide.  A Lolita-like character Charlotte Goodall (Sue Lyon) is coming on strong to him to the chagrin of her chaperone Judith Fellowes who becomes hell bent on destroying Shannon’s job/life.  Shannon feels that a good resort led by Maxine Faulk (Ava Gardner) will make everything all-right.  It won’t.  It eventually causes a love rectangle when a itinerant female (Deborah Kerr; in care of her elderly published poet grandfather whose voice is excellent in this) comes to the resort as well.

Not sure if this is negative because it was done on purpose: but it has one of the most embarrassingly bad boxing scenes (and Huston was a boxer), that was played for comedic effect.  The dichotomy of good and bad acting can be seen here.  You have several professional actors like Richard Burton, Cyril Delevanti, Ava Gardner and Deborah Kerr who are excellent.  Burton gives a clinic on performance here (does not hurt that he has enough demons for several actors).  He is brilliant, but when he is acting with Sue Lyon, it makes her performance seem off.  Huston does well with many of the non-professionals though.

Every time I hear the Happy Days song I think of the TV series.  I like how the female leads are said to be pushing 40 when in real life there were in their forties.  The stepping on glass made me think of Die Hard.

This was made right at the end of The Hays Code and it shows.  It does not go as far as future Huston films (or what you would see just a few years later), but its material would not have passed just a few years before.  The times were a-changing.  The interesting aspect of this is that so much is implied – and a lot is implied.  Yes Shannon peed on a suitcase (something I’m sure both Burton and Huston have done before) and there is a lot of innuendo.  With the beautiful black-and-white photography it feels like the end of an era in the 1960s – in a way it was.  But for fans of Huston or Tennessee Williams – this is a must watch.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 4:07 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Also negative: the advertising is everywhere.  It’s like a Hong Kong film.  It is awesome that the cans are pointed in the right direction.

Random fact, the Toys R'US Christmas advert, a lot of other product placement used to be cut from U.K T.V prints. The VHS wasnt cut for this, but did have some dialogue removed from the finale.

• Like 2

Rocky 3 – (1982) – “Who used to whack them bums out?, me”. Iron jawed Rocky Balboa returns for another boxing challenge, in the classic third installment of the well-known film franchise. Written & directed by star Sylvester Stallone, Part 3 is a pacey, energetic and inspirational hour and forty minutes. With a strong supporting cast featuring Talia Shire (Adrian), Carl Weathers (Apollo), Burt Young (Paulie) Tony Burton (Duke) & Burgess Meredith (Mickey).

The earthy and gritty feel of the first two movies, is replaced with a much sleeker blockbuster look. Everything is more heightened and amped up, from the crunchy fight scene sound effects. Right down to the inspiring soundtrack by Bill Conti, featuring a classic track by band Survivor. Even Rocky’s opponents are getting bigger, when he fights Thunderlips played by Hulk Hogan. The 6’6 Hogan made his Hollywood movie debut here.

“Rocky actually lifted the human sky scraper”

This production features another film debut, in the form of bouncer/bodyguard/Amateur wrestler Mr T. Hogan & T would both later appear in the main event of Wrestlemania I – (1984). Hogan was fired from the WWF by Vince McMahons father, when he heard about him making this picture. Only to be later re-hired by his son, and pushed as the company’s top attraction in the mid-80’s. It makes you wonder, if the Boxer VS Wrestler matched featured in Rocky 3. Was inspired by Vince & Linda Mcmahon’s brainchild, the Muhammad Ali (Boxer) VS Antonio Inoki (Pre-Wrestler) fight staged in Japan in 1976?.

“Let’s get back to the old gym”

Sylvester Stallone is on top form here, as the chiseled boxer going through a big career change. Looking like a cross between Bruce Lee, Frank Zane(x3Mr Olympia) & Rocky Marciano. The actor said he came in a little lighter than he wanted to. Living on a diet of mostly fish and tuna, in order to get ripped and attain less than 3% body fat.

“During the period I only ate very small portions of oatmeal cookies made with brown rice and up to 25 cups of coffee a day with honey and a couple of scoops of tuna fish. Sounds incredible right? At the time my body fat got down to 2.9 which is a really dangerous level. I may have looked pretty good on the outside but inside it was very dangerous thing to do.” – Sylvester Stallone.
Onscreen Rocky Balboa, is forced to open his mind and adapt to new style of training. Under the watchful eye of his former in ring foe now friend Apollo Creed. Brought to life in style by Carl Weathers. Here he plays a different slightly more low-key version of the famous movie boxer.

“He’s not just a fighter, he’s a wrecking machine”

Mr T might be no Robert De Niro at acting, but he brings a lot to the movie. Looking like he could chew on a bee’s nest, without evening wincing. The role of the tank like Clubber Lang, was first offered to Joe Frazier. A very brief encounter between Stallone & Frazier, left the actor needing six stiches.

“Once in the ring, I figured I just move around and avoid his punches, and that idea work well for about two seconds .. Simply because the Next thing I knew there was a Thunderous left hook planted extremely deep in my body, And an overhand right that resembled a falling piano landing just above my left eye ..” – Sylvester Stallone

The final fight still holds up, as a great piece of over the top 80’s movie magic and complex fight choreography. It’s the only Rocky fight scene, to be shown in its entirety. With no rounds skipped or any use of slow-motion montages. Bill Conti’s top- class soundtrack, really comes into its own during this scene too. Especially as the excitement and stakes begun to build. Its probably the most recognizable sports film soundtrack of all time?. The director originally wanted to use 1980 Queen song Another One Bites the Dust, for the main theme. He just couldn’t get hold of the rights.

Beneath the flashy exterior, Rocky 3 also deals with the psychology of boxing and facing your first major defeat. A tale about adapting and not letting your fears block your path. Clubber Lang is the hungry fighter, who is training in a rough backstreet gym. Like Rocky did in the first two movies, before his fame and fortune starts to change him.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Watched Never Too Young to Die (1986) and OMG, it's essential 80's B-movie glory. John Stamos is the young gymnastics trained son of a super spy (George Lazenby), who is murdered by a hermaphrodite gang lord named Velvet Von Ragnar (Gene Simmons in his craziest on-screen film performance since...well, Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park). With the help of agent Danja Derring (the late Denise Matthews, aka Vanity), Stamos must stop the insane Von Rangar before its too late. Cheesy one-liners? Check! Insane action? Check! Simmons going insane?! Double check...including one of the most disturbing twist reveals in Agent Carruthers (also played by Simmons). The finale, set in a dam is just 80's insanity to a tee!

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

FightingFool

Spiral-from the book of saw.

Haven`t seen Chris Rock elsewhere(I know tho he is comedian) and someone else should have been in lead. Most of the time he plays OK but there are moments words a r e  d r o p p i n g  s l o w l y and he looks unconfortable or bored. or both.....He and script improve eventualy, last 15 mins or so are pretty good stuff..Traps are very brutal here but not so creative.

Villain was unexpected but this is so far worst movie in Saw legacy.

• Like 2

Alles Wat Mal Is (All That is Crazy) (2014): Sollywood (South African) film about a housewife who rediscovers herself when her inner conscience comes to life and she decides to start a lifestyle blog. This is quite an interesting film as it was directed by Darrell Roodt, who directed To the Death (the official sequel to American Kickboxer) and the horror film The Lullaby. Some fun moments and lead actors Erica Wessels and Louw Venter are great as the bickering couple who find obstacles both together and separately. Roodt is definitely Sollywood's champion as he does well working in various genres. 

• Like 2

Rocky 4 – (1985) – “This is no holds barred in Moscow”
The hard-hitting chiseled boxer from Philadelphia, is back for a fourth chapter. His latest challenge, is a 6’5 killing machine/Siberian Express/Mr Universe Drago. Written & directed by Sylvester Stallone, who would cast a then unknown Dolph Lundgren as his latest on-screen foe. The film was recently Re-Cut by Stallone, who said he’d never been fully happy with the 1985 theatrical version.

“We have to be in the middle of the action, ‘cause we’re the warriors. And without some challenge, without some damn war to fight, then the warrior might as well be dead, Stallion! Now, I’m asking you – as a friend – stand by my side this one last time.”Apollo Creed

For this ramble I viewed the 85 Theatrical Cut, so I can’t compare the two or make any comments on which version I think is better. Part 4 follows the slick style of third film, with a much stronger emphasis on montages. Sylvester Stallone once said he felt it looked more like a music video, than a movie. Saying his version ran an hour longer. Despite its short runtime, it would go onto be the most successful Rocky movie at the box-office.

“The backstory on that is Terry Funk, who I think was in Paradise Alley, had become friends with Sylvester Stallone. Sly reached out to him and said, ‘I’m doing another Rocky movie. I have a Russian character. Do you know of any Russians?’
“Long and short of that is, they sent me this script. I memorized the lines. They flew me out to Hollywood for the screen test. It was me, Kerry Von Erich, and Dolph Lundgren. Out of like hundreds, like 8 or 900 guys, it came down to the three of us”- Nikita Koloff

Martial Artist & bodyguard Dolph Lundgren, would eventually get the role of Rocky Balboa’s most mammoth foe. Drago, is a Russian super soldier trained using a variety of methods. Old school weightlifting movement’s, with barbells and dumbbells. Mixed in with, what was supposed to be the most cutting-edge training techniques for 1985. A lot of imitation Nautilus machines, such as the ab cruncher Drago uses. Along with the then popular incline treadmill, that gets steeper the longer you run on it.

“There gonna have to stop this one, before somebody gets killed”

This clinical and scientific style of training, goes up against Rocky’s more primitive approach. Out in the Russian Wilderness, with stunning Wyoming & British Columbia doubling for the then Soviet Union. With Grand Teton Park, being used for most of the outdoors training scenes. Balboa is training like he's entering the Worlds Strongestman contest, lifting carts with human weights. With a few nods to the training scenes, featured in 1970’s Old-School Kung Fu movies.

Throwing hefty looking rocks, chopping wood, dragging Paulie (Burt Young) on a treadmill across frozen ground. Not forgetting chopping trees down, and running up to the top of a huge mountain without stopping. Which of course, all represents Rocky’s challenge with the much taller and emotionally colder foe.

Lundgren was no stranger to films, making his debut as an extra in A View to Kill – (1985). Appearing alongside his then girlfriend Grace Jones. He was the perfect choice, to play the calm, cold and calculating Russian boxer. The world class former Karate fighter, also holds a Master’s Degree in Chemical engineering. Stallone said at the time he took a big risk when he cast the much younger and taller Lundgren as his opponent. One that clearly paid off in the long run.

- “I see three of him out there”
- “hit the one in the middle”

Both Lundgren & Stallone are in top shape, for the final marathon of a fight. The style of boxing is more cinematic fantasy, than the more grounded climatic fight scenes in the first two movies.
"The "hit the one in the middle" exchange, long part of boxing lore, actually did happen during the Max Baer vs. Max Schmeling heavyweight fight in June 1933. Baer was knocked groggy by a Schmeling right-hand in the first round and told his corner, "I see three of him out there." Ex-champ Jack Dempsey, who was in Baer's corner for the fight, responded with the famous line, and Baer went on to score a tenth-round knockout." – IMDB.Com

Rocky 4 has had a huge impact on physical culture, like all the films in the Rocky saga. It remains one of the best and most inspiring movies, to be made in the 1980’s. With a legacy that continues to this day. A lot of this has to do with classic soundtrack, featuring Robert Tepper, Survivor, James Brown, John Cafferty, Vince Dicola & Joe Esposito to name a few. All these songs, really give life to many classic montages in the movie.

The series was really starting to take a shift here, with some of the older characters dropping off. It’s nice to see Chess Master/Actor Tony Burton getting more screen time as Duke. Who steps in to take the place of Mickey, as Rocky’s new trainer. Talia Shire is on fine form as Adrian Balboa, sadly her character doesn’t get as much to do here. Though her character still has strong presence and influence on the story. Spoiler ahead, it's sad to see Carl Weathers leave the series. He was always a important part in each story.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Drunken Monk

Wolf Creek (2005) - It can be argued that this is another example of the "torture porn" sub genre, though it does subvert torture porn expectations by giving the lead characters far more story than usual. Me? I wouldn't say it falls into that category at all. It's basically a serial killer thriller/horror set in the Australian Outback. The plot is almost offensively simple (a gaggle of guys 'n' gals stumble across a murderer...violence ensues) but it's incredibly well directed and acted, something that separates it from the likes of Eli Roth's Hostel films.
This film is VERY bleak, however. If you're used to happy endings and revenge in these types of films, you may be disappointed. It is no holds barred when it comes to its portrayal of evil.
Ultimately, is it good? Sure. It's better than many pseudo slasher movies of the same era. But it isn't really anything all that original. It's a slightly more mature version of, say, the Hills Have Eyes remake. Those that don't like these formulaic "killer stalks prey" films might not love this one.

• Like 2

For the last couple weeks I've been watching the complete series of "I Dream of Jeannie". Its a really fun show. Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman are so good together.  I also tried to watch Bewitched too, but couldn't get into it. Everyone on that show just seems to hate each other and they have no chemistry whatsoever. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Wolf Creek (2005) - It can be argued that this is another example of the "torture porn" sub genre, though it does subvert torture porn expectations by giving the lead characters far more story than usual. Me? I wouldn't say it falls into that category at all. It's basically a serial killer thriller/horror set in the Australian Outback. The plot is almost offensively simple (a gaggle of guys 'n' gals stumble across a murderer...violence ensues) but it's incredibly well directed and acted, something that separates it from the likes of Eli Roth's Hostel films.

I didnt rate this one as much, upon re-watching it recently with friends. That said, it retains a unique atmosphere and its style has been copied by other horror films. Have you watched the series which is based on the same story?.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
29 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I didnt rate this one as much, upon re-watching it recently with friends. That said, it retains a unique atmosphere and its style has been copied by other horror films. Have you watched the series which is based on the same story?.

I skipped the series and the sequel. Though I've heard a few people say the series is worth a watch.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I have seen wolf creek once many years ago. I loved the atmosphere, I remember being a tad disappointed when it turned out to be just a mindless serial killer film. I was constantly under the impression something really weird was going to happen but it never happened.

I probably need to rewatch it when I get the chance to see what I find of it now.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

It seems like I'm on a bit of a dark kick this week as this morning I watched 2016's The Invitation. I don't want to spoil anything about this film so I'll just sat that plot involves a number of long time friends being invited to a dinner party for a reunion of sorts. From there, things get interesting.

This one is not for the easily anxious. It's a slow journey but it steadily ups the tension until it hits what I think is one of the finest final shots of all time.
The Invitation isn't quite a horror. More like a dark thriller. It also has a lot to say about grief and how we cope with said grief. It's definitely worth a watch for those that like their movies a little dark. I do think it rushes through its third act a little but that's my only (small) gripe.

• Like 2

Knysna (Andre Velts, 2014): Named after a small area in South Africa, this romantic comedy features a modest man (Neels van Jaarsveld) who unexpectedly falls in love with a newcomer to town (Marguerite Wheatley), who is revealed to be a future princess...she is supposed to marry the Prince of Lichtenstein. Some comic relief from the princess's publicist, the town gossips, and one of our protagonist's besties helped drive the film. 

The Unhealer (Martin Guigui, 2021): A bullied high schooler (Elijah Nelson) suffering from pica (a real disorder where people will eat non-food items) falls ill and his mother (Natasha Henstridge) finds a faith healer (Lance Henriksen) to help him. When the faith healer dies while performing his work on the kid, the kid soon learns not only does he have the power to heal but when he is hit or when he thinks about it, he can make his bullies feel the pain. When the bullies' retaliation results in the death of a loved one, the kid plans to use his powers for revenge and the only one who may be able to stop him in a Native American (Branscombe Richmond). Surprisingly good, inventive deaths and scenes. A bit of a surprise ending as well. 

• Like 2

High Fidelity – (2000) – “I own this store called Championship vinyl, located in area where there isn’t much foot traffic”
It’s been over twenty-two years since this comedy film hit cinemas. Based on the 1995 best-selling book by British author Nick Hornby. Look out for cameo from The Boss himself Bruce Springsteen. Bob Dylan was the original choice, but they were unable to pin down the leader of the never-ending tour.

Story synopsis- “Rob Gordon (John Cusack), the owner of a semi failing record shop located on one of the back streets of Chicago. He sell’s music the old-fashioned way, with his two wackey clerks – the hysterically funny rock snob Barry (Jack Black) and the more quietly opinionated underachiever Dick (Todd Louiso). But Rob’s business is not the only thing in his life that’s floundering – his needle skips the love groover when his longtime girlfriend Laura (Iben Hjejle) walks out on him. And this forces him to examine his past failed attempts at romance the only way he knows how…”

"I never thought Id say this, but can I please go back to work now?"

Characters, music, love & different human relationships are just some of the key themes here. With an equally well suited and varied soundtrack, featuring songs exploring some of the same topics. The original story was set in London, with the Hollywood screen version switching it to Chicago. Author Nick Hornby said, the location change didn’t matter. That the story wasn’t actually about geography anyway.

“All my romantic stories are a scrambled version of that first one”

John Cusack (Con-Air/Grosse Point Blank) is great as the moody record store owner/DJ, with a vast knowledge of music. The same can be said of Danish actress Iben Hjejle, as his long-suffering girlfriend Laura. Screen writers D.V Vincentis & Steve Pink did a fine job of adapting the novel, for the screen. There’s some biting one liners and quick comedic quips. Especially in the scenes featuring Cusack, Jack Black & Todd Louiso set in the record store.

“I can’t fire them, I hired these guys for three days a week, and they just started showing up every day, that was four years, ago”

Comedian Black stands out, as the energetic highly strung but passionate music fan. I liked how the script turned a of life’s more serious issues, and gives them a more humorous spin. Taking something that wouldn’t normally be funny, and switching it around. Such as the scene where Rob Gordon, chases off some skate boarding shop lifters. Only to discover there actually talented young musicians.

“What’s your bands name?”
“The Kinky Wizards”

Rounding off the cast are John Cusack’s sister Joan Cusack. Along with an array of other acting talents including Catherine Zeta Jones, Lisa Bonet, Lili Taylor, Sarah Gilbert, & Joelle Carter. Tim Robbins (The Shawshank Redemption) has a minor part, playing the calm Steven Seagal inspired Tantric Devotee Ian Raymond.

“I felt like a fraud, like someone who suddenly shaved their head, and said they’d always been a punk”

British born veteran director Stephen Frears, delivers a solid and entertaining movie. The way John Cusack’s character breaks the fourth wall, when he address’s the audience directly. Was pretty unique at the time, and something that was heavily copied. One for music geeks, or anyone who grew up in the late 90’s/early noughties. While not a classic, it comes pretty damn close. Listen out for tracks by The Beta Band, 13th Floor Elevators, Chemical Brother’s, The Kink’s, Bob Dylan, Joan Jett, The Vaselines & Queen.

• Like 4

Rocky (1976) - 10/10

Rocky II (1979) - 9/10

Rocky III (1982) - 8/10

Rocky IV (1985) - 8/10

Rocky V (1990) - 7/10

Rocky Balboa (2006) - 9.5/10

• Like 2

Mr Majestyk – (1974) – Ex miner and veteran of World War 2, the late Charles Bronson. Stars in this Mid-70’s vintage action classic. Not to be confused with the well-known British criminal, who borrowed the screen actor’s name. Bronson served in the American Airforce, as a gunner on long distance missions. He left the armed forces in 1946. Earning himself a Purple Heart medal, for his courage under fire. When he was wounded during one of many courageous missions, over enemy territory.

“You make sounds like you’re a mean little ass kick, only I ain’t convinced”

Story Synopsis- “Bronson stars as Vince Majestyk, an ex-con & Vietnam vet whose efforts to run a farm are thwarted by narrow-minded locals and corrupt cops. But when Mafia hitman Frank Renda (Al Lettieri) destroys Majestyk’s crop, the farmers fuse is finally blown. With his rifle in his hand, and his girlfriend Nancy Chavez (Linda Cristal) at the wheel, he goes after the syndicate assassin.”

Veteran Argentinian actress Linda Cristal (The Alamo - 1960) brings a lot of fire & spirit, as Bronson on-screen partner and equal. The strong and independent Mexican farm hand, Nancy Chavez. She lost both her parents aged eighteen, under tragic circumstances. She started her career in film in 1952, racking up forty-four acting roles before her retirement in 1988.

“If I don’t get those melons in this week, I lose the whole crop”
“Is that all that’s worrying you?, melons, you need a lawyer”

Director Richard Fleischer presents a tight and pacey action film. That might look slow and plodding to audiences brought up on post 2000 cinema. It’s not a movie for anyone with a short attention span. For 1974, it was a ground breaking movie that pushed the creative envelope. Presenting action scenes shot at a faster pace, with quicker cuts.

Hats off to the small stunt team, featuring Dick Warlock, Paul Baxley, Alan Pinson, Terry Leonard & Craig R.Baxley. Who did an excellent job of bringing the well-planned action alive. A lot time and preparation was given to the shooting of these actions scenes. According to cinematographer and friend of Charles Bronson, Richard H. Kline.

“I’ve been to Mexico, and I’ve been laid”
“Well, what do you want?”
“I want to get my melon crop in”

The scene featuring the 1968 Ford F-100 truck getting an off-road beating. Was done using a vehicle, that wasn’t even modified to do stunts. Various mounds of dirt, and skillful driving were used to make the car appear to flip and fly through the air. Ford used clips from this scene, as part of their 1976 advert for the truck. The stunning red rocks of Tunnel Drive near Canon City, make the perfect backdrop to one chase scene. Filmed on two-mile track that was once a railroad line. The stuntmen featured in the shootout’s, also handled the multiple car stunts. None of which were filmed using CGI or special effects of any kind.

“Lieutenant I’ve been on my own since the beginning”

The late Al Lettieri - (The Godfather) holds a strong presence as always. With his moody performance as the short fused psychotic Mafia hitman Frank Renda. Who pushes the peaceful hard working melon farmer Mr Majestyk, over the edge. After their lives cross on a bullitt punctuated bus. Lettieri was the perfect choice for the role of unstable antagonist. You really get the, impression, he was about to completely lose it at any point during the film. Without having to be really manic or over the top.

Writer Elmore Leonard wrote the script with Clint Eastwood in mind, and Steve McQueen was also attached to the project at one point. Charles Bronson had a quite intensity to his screen roles. Putting his own unique stamp on the film. If your new to the films of Charles Bronson this-ones a good starting place. Special mention goes to 70’s character actor Paul Kozlo – (The Mechanic). As a two-bit gangster, trying to lean on local farmers.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2