What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Cemetery Junction – (2010) – Solid British comedy written and directed by Ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant. The two British talents deliver a both comical and touching story, set in early 1970’s Reading. It tells the story of three young friends, who daydream about leaving home and seeing the world. Instead of spending their days, drinking, fighting and joking around.

- "throw your heart out in front of you and run ahead to catch it." Whatever you desire, imagine it's in front of you right now and just grab it.”

Things of course don’t turn out to be so simple. When Freddie Taylor (Christian Cooke) falls for his boss’s daughter Julie (Felicity Jones). Who opens up his mind to new possibilities and a different way of living his life. To complicate matters further, Julie’s engaged to be married.

This is a great coming of age story, about three lads who look out for each other. Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant managed to find the right balance between the comedy, and the more serious moments. This is by no means a sugar-coated script. There’s, some really clever, emotional and poignant moments, among all youthful fun and bravado.

Felicity Jones does a fine job of bring her progressive character to life. During the 70’s, it was expected that a woman must have a child as soon as she gets married. Julie dreams of becoming a photographer, which doesn’t fit in the views of her husband to be Mike Ramsay (Matthew Goode). There’s some nice chemistry between her and co-star Christian Cooke. With equally good performances from Jack Doolan as Snork & Tom Hughes as Bruce Pearson.

- “What the fuck is that?”
- “Well, it’s a beautiful lady vampire looking out of the window”

There’s a decent soundtrack, featuring song from the era with Bryan Ferry, Mott the Hoople, Elton John, T-Rex among others. With some nice use of Led Zeppelins, The Rain Song, in its entirety. The film must have had a decent budget, to be able to pay for expense song rights. The production values look great, with a detailed recreation of early 1970’s Reading. Playing an eye-catching backdrop to the drama and romance.

Looking at this film, it’s hard to believe England was in an economic crisis, with jobs cuts and a three-day working week. With Trade Unions in a bitter dispute with the Conversative Government. Writer Ricky Gervais said, he wanted the film to have a feelgood vibe to it. Presenting the story more like the endless summers you have as a child.

By no means an action movie, there’s still some well executed fight scenes. From Stunt Coordinators Julian Spencer and Marc Cass, along with their talented stunt team. Who took all the bumps in the bar and music hall fights featuring wayward Bruce Pearson. Emily Watson, Ralph Fiennes, Anne Reid, Steve Spiers, providing great supporting performances. Along with a whole heap of characters actors, playing all the local characters.

• Like 2

Asphalt (1929)

If the guy (Gustav Frohlich) looks familiar, he was the main actor in Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927)

Asphalt-german-movie-poster-md.jpg

asphalt.jpg

• Like 2

A Star Is Born – (2018) – Hard drinking musician Jackson Maine (Bradley Cooper), stumbles into a random bar one night. After yet another sell-out concert in a local arena. It’s not long before he’s emotionally knocked out by the bar’s charismatic singer Ally (Lady Gaga). Who cuts through the Jacksons pain-killer & alcohol induced haze.

“Don’t talk to me like that, in that bus driver wig girl”

The fourth re-make of A Star is Born (1937), is star Bradley Cooper big directorial debut. Cooper also contributed to the script alongside Eric Roth & Will Fetter’s. The trio created an interesting story, that has some real emotional and touching scenes. Co-staring is eccentric catchy pop riff song writer & producer Lady Gaga. Who made her screen debut as an extra, in a episode of The Sopranos (2001).

Here the chameleon pop singing fashion icon delivers a fantastic performance, as tough hard-working song writer Ally. The seasoned pop singer, gives you the impression she’s genuinely never stood onstage before. During some of her early scenes. It’s hard to believe that Warner Brothers didn’t want her to be in the movie.

Ally- “Almost every single person I’ve come into contact with in the music industry, has said my nose is too big and I won’t make it”
Jackson Maine- “Your nose is too big?”
Ally- “Yeah”
Jackson Maine- “Your nose is beautiful”

This love story doesn’t portray the music industry in a fairytale light either. Showing the darker side of life as an entertainer on the road. The toll it can take on someone’s mental health and well-being. Bradley Cooper is really convincing as troubled talented artist, struggling with his personal demons. He also made the right decision in fighting to have Lady Gaga as part of the production.

She insisted that her and Bradley Cooper had to sing live in the film. Causing her co-star, to go and have further extensive vocal training. Which all really paid off, when you watch the films vivid concert footage. Jackson Maines backing band is played by Luke Nelson & The Promise of The Real. Luke is the son of legendary Country singer Willie Nelson. He was also Cooper’s guitar teacher behind the scenes.

“Are you hiding love songs from me?”

Scenes featuring the Drag Queens were unscripted according to IMDB.Com. The director was so impressed by their quick witty one liners and improvisations. That he extended these scenes, and let the performers adlib their own dialogue. When Bradley Cooper attended the Cannes film festival premiere. He was also quoted as saying, the films unique visual look was inspired by a Metallica concert he attended aged sixteen.

A star Is Born is one of those movies that caught me by surprise. I’d only ever viewed the 1970’s Barbera Streisand & Kris Kristofferson version. Despite sharing a similar plot, their still two very different movies. The re-worked 2018 version comes recommended to cinema fans. The version I watched was the Theatrical Cut, and not the longer 2019 Encore Edition with added musical performances.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

A Star Is Born – (2018) – Hard drinking musician Jackson Maine (Bradley Cooper), stumbles into a random bar one night. After yet another sell-out concert in a local arena. It’s not long before he’s emotionally knocked out by the bar’s charismatic singer Ally (Lady Gaga). Who cuts through the Jacksons pain-killer & alcohol induced haze.

“Don’t talk to me like that, in that bus driver wig girl”

The fourth re-make of A Star is Born (1937), is star Bradley Cooper big directorial debut. Cooper also contributed to the script alongside Eric Roth & Will Fetter’s. The trio created an interesting story, that has some real emotional and touching scenes. Co-staring is eccentric catchy pop riff song writer & producer Lady Gaga. Who made her screen debut as an extra, in a episode of The Sopranos (2001).

Here the chameleon pop singing fashion icon delivers a fantastic performance, as tough hard-working song writer Ally. The seasoned pop singer, gives you the impression she’s genuinely never stood onstage before. During some of her early scenes. It’s hard to believe that Warner Brothers didn’t want her to be in the movie.

Ally- “Almost every single person I’ve come into contact with in the music industry, has said my nose is too big and I won’t make it”
Jackson Maine- “Your nose is too big?”
Ally- “Yeah”
Jackson Maine- “Your nose is beautiful”

This love story doesn’t portray the music industry in a fairytale light either. Showing the darker side of life as an entertainer on the road. The toll it can take on someone’s mental health and well-being. Bradley Cooper is really convincing as troubled talented artist, struggling with his personal demons. He also made the right decision in fighting to have Lady Gaga as part of the production.

She insisted that her and Bradley Cooper had to sing live in the film. Causing her co-star, to go and have further extensive vocal training. Which all really paid off, when you watch the films vivid concert footage. Jackson Maines backing band is played by Luke Nelson & The Promise of The Real. Luke is the son of legendary Country singer Willie Nelson. He was also Cooper’s guitar teacher behind the scenes.

“Are you hiding love songs from me?”

Scenes featuring the Drag Queens were unscripted according to IMDB.Com. The director was so impressed by their quick witty one liners and improvisations. That he extended these scenes, and let the performers adlib their own dialogue. When Bradley Cooper attended the Cannes film festival premiere. He was also quoted as saying, the films unique visual look was inspired by a Metallica concert he attended aged sixteen.

A star Is Born is one of those movies that caught me by surprise. I’d only ever viewed the 1970’s Barbera Streisand & Kris Kristofferson version. Despite sharing a similar plot, their still two very different movies. The re-worked 2018 versions come recommended to cinema fans. The version I watched was the Theatrical Cut, and not the longer 2019 Encore Edition with added musical performances.

Are the songs the same as in Judy Garland's and James Mason's version ? I only saw this one. I'm aware of Barbra Streisand's one, but never heard of the third one. Who are the actors in this latter and in which year ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Are the songs the same as in Judy Garland's and James Mason's version ? I only saw this one. I'm aware of Barbra Streisand's one, but never heard of the third one. Who are the actors in this latter and in which year ?

I cant comment, as I've only viewed the 70's version and the 2018 film. Random fact, Lady Gaga was the same age was Judy Garland was, when she made the film. There's also a reference to the Wizard of Oz in A Star Is Born (2018).

• Like 1

The Silencers (USA, 1966) [VoD] – 2/5
A goofy Bond spoof has Dean Martin teaming up with walking disaster Stella Stevens to fight a ridiculous criminal syndicate. A couple of laughs and Stevens' bust aside, this first film in the Matt Helm series is a tiresome effort. It lacks style and energy, and doesn’t quite seem to have enough content to fill 100 minutes.

Murderers' Row (USA, 1966) [VoD] – 3/5
The 2nd Matt Helm movie, and a notable improvement over The Silencers. This is better paced, a bit more stylishly shot, and takes itself just a notch more serious. It's stiff goofy stuff, but just about stands on its own two feet. Also contains an absolutely insane disco scene with Ann-Margret.

The Wrecking Crew (USA, 1968) [TV] – 3.5/5
The 4th Matt Helm film, a stupendously fun piece of 60s pop art on celluloid. There’s psychedelic art direction, a half-ridiculous / half-awesome score, entirely ridiculous characters, solid pacing, bad comedy, singing Martin, stiff line delivery, and plenty of beautiful girls. Bruce Lee served as the martial arts instructor (it looked to me like he might have been a stunt double as well, but I could be wrong).

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch
On 11/24/2021 at 3:41 AM, ShawAngela said:

I just bought, but have not seen, the 1937 version with Fredric March (one of my favorite actors) and Janet Gaynor.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

I Wake Up Screaming (1941: H. Bruce Humberstone) 

I love classic Hollywood film noir.  I also love that I keep finding films that have a small reputation (this film is on TSPDT 100 Essential Film Noir list) and end up being quite good.  This was released a couple of weeks before The Maltese Falcon – so both early important (later labeled) film noir.  This film screams film noir from its German Expressionistic lighting to the hard-boiled dialogue. 

I am wondering why it is not mentioned more today with Golden Hollywood fans, but it might have to do with the leads Betty Grable and Victor Mature not being as well-known now.  Grable was popular for her Hollywood pin-ups for GIs later on during WWII.  She was known for her legs which were insured by her studio for $1 million  (she even been in a film named Million Dollar Legs in 1939) for publicity of course.

The movie’s plot is a strong point.  It has some similarities to Black Widow (1954) -- watch this if you have not yet.  I like how you do not know who exactly is the killer. Like with Black Widow, we have a murder most foul of a young blonde female Vicky Lynn (Carole Landis).  Like with 'Nanny' Ordway, she is an up-and-comer (though not with the psychology of Nancy).  She also appears to have a hidden lover.  The one accused of her murder, like with Van Heflin in Black Widow) is Frankie Christopher (Victor Mature), a more wisecracking, sarcastic, street smart (and it is these attributes that sometimes make you think he just might be guilty) legit hustler (he promotes sports and well anything that will make him money).  Like with Black Widow, we have flashbacks through the film.  Like with Black Widow, and many of Hitchcock, we have a Wrong Man scenario.

But is he the murderer?  The detective Ed Cornell (Laird Cregar – who is an excellent actor, watch him in well anything, but especially Hangover Square – he would be dead a few years later of trying to lose weight too quickly and a bad surgery; he looks so much older than he is) will bet his life that Christopher is the murder.  Cregar can go from calm to explosive in milliseconds and seems a legitimate heavy.  But wait there is Elisha Cook Jr. (I always think of Icepick in Magnum P.I.) and he is just so fun to see. 

And, to make things more complicated, Lynn’s sister Jill Lynn (Betty Grable) falls in love with him.  But is he also in love with her?  Pay attention to the soundtrack and the use (and overuse) of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and not think of The Wizard of Oz.

It is ably directed by H. Bruce Humberstone, who I have seen four Charlie Chan films from him, who was a capable studio director for 20th Century Fox.  It is a familiar refrain from me that so may of these films look so good and so much better in cinematography than most of today’s output.  Check out the use of whip pans.  There is a shot through a window that I’m still wondering on how they did it.

The movie was named “Hot Spot” for pre-release, but it was changed back to I Wake Up Screaming (this feels like a Val Lewton title) which was the title of the book (so many Hollywood films were based on books, like Ben-Hur (1959), where the film reputation has lasted longer than the book reputation).

There is a deleted scene of Betty Grable singing “Daddy” which is a great example of why you should remove scenes.  So out-of-place in this film. Though you can understand, given her popularity, on why it was filmed.  And of course, they had to show off Grable's legs (it probably was in her contract). Mature looks good here and is underrated a bit in his acting (some performances like Kiss of Death are better than others like The Robe -- a film I do like).

I like the Fox Film Noir DVDs which come with commentary, decent extras and an insert essay.  This is not a great transfer with some jumps and some lines.  A little disappointing.  However, this film is not disappointing and I am so glad I finally got to see it. A worth addition for Noirvember. Oh and I liked the twist(s).

• Like 3

Still Crazy – (1998) – Light hearted British comedy about a fictional fast living seventies Rock band called, Strange Fruit. Whose career was cut short, after lightening hit the stage during one of their performances. After a twenty-year absence from performing as a band, they decide to get back on the road again. But can they get on long enough to get their edge back?. This is all comically narrated by their loyal razor tongued roadie Hughie (Billy Connolly). Directed by film and music video director Brian Gibson. The pictures title is taken from the Paul Simon song - Still Crazy After All These Year’s.

“We dropped some Acid in the Druids circle”

There’s an all-star British comedy cast, with Bill Nighy, Juliet Aubrey, Billy Connolly, Timothy Spall, Jimmy Nail, Hans Matheson & Stephen Rea. With cameos from Phil Daniels, Phil Davis, Donna Air & Zoe Ball. The story is a well told one, former famous musical act makes a comeback. But it’s the sharp crude earthy writing of veteran comedy team Ian La Frais (The Likely Lads) & Dick Clement (Porridge). That helps to set the script apart from so many others.

The movie mostly centres around Strange Fruits eventful & smelly European warm-up tour. That’s supposed to get them ready for the big stadium tour comeback. It’s hard to highlight one actor’s performance, without acknowledging so many others. They each bring to life, all the individual characters, bruised egos, and creative craziness, that goes on when you put a group of musicians back together.

“The only thing of value I’ve got is this”
“What’s that?”
(Pulls out a chain) “Jimi Hendrix’s tooth”

Jimmy Nail (Les Wickes) & Bill Nighy (Ray Simms) were the only two performers, who actually sung on the film’s soundtrack. With the films fictional songs, such as Tequila Mockingbird, The Flame Still Burns & Black Moon, partially written by Mick Jones (Foreigner) & Jeff Lynn (E.L.O). Along with contributions from drummer Micheal Lee & bassist Guy Pratt. The team did a fantstic job, of re-creating the 1970's hard rock sound. Especially during the many flashbacks sequences.

Ace actress Juliet Aubrey (The Constant Gardener), plays the determined long-time friend of the band Karen Knowles. Who returns to the group, to help them navigate the modern music industry. Only her character becomes much more than just that. As she constantly switches from being a manager, single parent, promoter, and carer to the whole band.

“Aye up, what’s he been on? horse tranquilizer’s”

Special mention has to go to veteran performer Bill Nighy (Love Actually), as the insecure but charismatic front-man Ray Simms. On stage he looks more-nimble than a cat doing yoga. His swanky character was heavily inspired by Van Halen singer David Lee Roth’s stage persona. Still Crazy is one to watch, if you appreciate a good British comedy film. With some tongue in cheek cheesiness added in.

• Like 3

The Beastmaster (USA, 1982) [VoD] – 3.5/5
A boy who can communicate with animals goes on a big journey, thankfully not in a Disney movie, but a barbarian adventure. Selected highlights include the hero being born from a cow's stomach (dar fuk?), evil priests manufacturing homicidal SM freaks who instantly kill their makers, and the hero hooking up with a black panther and two thieving weasels (!) who become his best friends. There’s also a topless Tanya Roberts. Conan the Barbarian this is not, but this remains a worthy barbarian adventure; one of the few with a proper budget and a unique vision. And how can you not love a movie whose major co-star was not allowed on set at the same time as children, since he might eat them. The fighting could be much better, though, and the film a lot shorter (it now stands at 118 min!).

Stryker (Philippines, 1983) – 3/5
Cirio H. Santiago's first post apocalypse film. There are little people, big boobs, and hairy heroes. Not as good as the director's later Wheels of Fire (with more little people, bigger boobs, can't remember about the hairiness), but still a very passable entry in the genre. Post apocalypse films seemed to be a genre Santiago handled better than martial arts movies.

Blue Thunder (USA, 1983) [TV] – 4/5
Under-rated concept thriller with fantastic action sequences. Roy Scheider is a helicopter pilot who gets to test-fly a new military model, and records evidence of political assassination by accident. The helicopter action has the kind of heavy physicality that is missing from today's CGI enhanced and/or over-stylized action films. The filmmakers were also wise enough to stick to the helicopter concept from start to finish, resulting in a film with an identity.

Drop Zone (USA, 1994) [TV] - 3.5/5
Another under-rated John Badham film. This is somewhat comparable to Blue Thunder. Wesley Snipes is a cop who goes after sky diving criminals lead by the awesome Gary Busey. The Point Break influence is obvious, but the film stands on its own with breathtaking aerial stunts and a plot that is (wisely) entirely built on the skydiving theme, making this another film with an identity.

• Like 4

The Last King – (2016) – Treachery, drama, murdered kings, brave warriors, and on the run heirs to the throne. Are all in the mix, in this enjoyable historical Norwegian set adventure. That’s filmed in some stunning snow-clad scenery, captured by cinematographer Peter Mokrosinski. Filmed on location in Sogndal & Lilli Hammer in Norway. Starring Kristofer Hivju (Game of Thrones), Jakob Oftebro (LilyHammer), Ane Ulimoen Overli & Torkel Dommersnes Soldal.

“Here drink this, welcome to Ragnarok”

The following short plot/story synopsis, has been lifted from the film’s promotional material. “1205, Norway is ravaged by civil war. The Norwegian King fights for survival, protecting his throne whilst his illegitimate son is guarded in deep secrecy. With half the Kingdom out to kill the infant hair to the throne, two warriors Torstein & Skjervald, are tasked with protecting him with their own lives.” If you don’t like subtitled films, this might not be a movie for you. The whole dubbing vs subtitles debate is a whole other story. However, this flick is best viewed in its original language. Or should I say, all three of them, Swedish, Danish & Norwegian. To dub this production, would be to turn it into an unintentional comedy.

“Those who live, must fight for the Church, it’s your choice”

The story is very loosely based on actual historical events. As you can imagine with such a snow set saga, skis play a major role in the movie and the pace of the storytelling. Actor Kristofer Hivju, was quoted as once saying ‘Norwegians have skis for legs’. Giving the actor a natural head start, when it came to playing fearless axe wielding Viking Torstien, and handling the more-tricky ski moves.

“[Skiing] was the only [method] of transportation in the snow. I did a lot of work to get good. Some [of the more complex moves] were stunts the insurance company wouldn’t allow us to do. But I will say this: I sacrificed my life in some of those [stunts] to make it look real. And the cameraman — he sacrificed [a lot] as well because he had to ski backwards with the camera to get it right. We did a lot and we almost died, but you only need one good take. [The Last King] is Vikings on skis — that’s the only thing people need to hear. [Laughs.]– Kristofer Hivju.

Hat’s off to the men & women in the extensive stunt team. Including Swedish born Martial Artist, stuntman, actor and ace fight choreographer Tim Man. The axe, crossbow, and sword heavy fight scenes, were all handled by Robert Follin. Working in the cold conditions, must have made the action sequences harder to shoot. Even when you have a cast and crew, that’s more used to a colder climate. Norway looks about as warm as a, Eskimos nose here.

“You will never make a farmer, Skjervald”

Director Nil Gaup did a solid job of bringing Ravn Lanesskog’s script/story to the screen. Star Jakob Oftebro does fine job of bringing his stoic character Skjervald to life. Aiming more arrows, than cupid on Valentines Day. Not forgetting his ability to dodge barbed crossbow bolts, without breaking a sweat. Kristofer Hivju nearly steals the film, as the axe wielding Viking with a heart Torstien. This is all backed up with solid performances from Thea Sofie Lock Naess, Fridtjov Saheim, Ane Ulimoen Overli.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

The Nightingale (2018) - I'll be frank. I enjoy a good rape revenge movie. I even like the I Spit On Your Grave remake. If it's exploitative and ultra violent, there's a strong chance I'll be into it.
The Nightingale is a rape revenge movie. However, its aspirations make it an overblown mess that's thematically muddled and, ultimately, a chore to sit through. The problem is that it wants to be two things. The first is an exploitation movies. There are THREE RAPE SCENES in this movie. During one rape, the victim's baby is murdered and another rape scene is on an Aboriginal slave. Grim, right? It also has some pretty hyper violent moments that will be enjoyed by gore fans.
However, the film makers also want this movie to be...I don't know, important? Poignant? The director tries to tackle not only sexism but racism and classism. All in one movie. And it just doesn't work. It's heavy handed and, often, loses sight of what it's trying to tell its audience. At many points in the movie it compares one woman's sexual trauma to the collective trauma of the enslaved Aboriginal people. It just doesn't add up.
If this was just an exploitation film, it could have been good. If it was basically a period version of I Spit On Your Grave, I'd have liked it. But it tries so hard to cram so much down our throats. I understand that "deeper" horror movies are in fashion (this is from the director of The Babadook, after all) but this one bites off far more than it can chew. The results are a bloated slog that feels uneven and, quite frankly, all over the place.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946: Lewis Milestone)  

I had to keep continuing my Noirvember into December to watch some important Hollywood films that I had not seen yet.  This has a great cast.  It starts off with an early non-credited role of Blake Edwards (the later director) and it is officially the first film Kirk Douglas is in.  Van Heflin increases his actor status in my eye again – after watching and liking Black Widow.  He has an intensity that is believable.

The film starts off like The Public Enemy (1931), where you get the lives of the three main characters as youth (or think of early on in It’s a Wonderful Life).  The love triangle starts here.  I found it funny that “running away to the circus” happened in this film.  Sam Masterson (later will be Heflin) did the running.  Now a murder happens: a cruel aunt was struck down by Martha Ivers (later will be Stanwyck) on the staircase when the aunt was beating a cat (I hate this in film; the rule of if you are going to show a cat, something bad will happen to it).  Now ignore that this was the softest “fatal” blow you will ever see.  This was witnessed by her friend Walter O'Neil (though everyone has thought that Masterson saw it).  This staircase is important.  It is almost a murder weapon in this film.  Years later, Martha Ivers is a bigshot, the murder was hushed and even blamed (horribly also years later from the incident) on an innocent (though a criminal) person who was executed.  She put away any potential guilt (she can be an ice queen), but it hangs dearly on her husband Walter O'Neil (played by Kirk Douglas) who is an alcoholic and a lawyer soon-to-be politician. 

But this being 1946, Barbara Stanywyck is the star.  If you have not seen her in Double Indemnity (1944), then please see that – make it a priority.  She is good here.  It is an interesting trio of her, Douglas and Heflin.  I’m not sold on Lizabeth Scott who plays sultry, sometimes a bit too hard. It is only her second movie, but sometimes you are wondering what is she doing with her mouth.  It has a mind of its own away from the words she says.

Douglas is fine in his first role. A bit more milquetoast than one expects (though no one knew what to expect), but not always – and this works well for the character.  Did you know Lauren Bacall got him the role?

Quote from Douglas’s autobiography on this film: “I always remember that first picture, and whenever I am in a movie I try to help anyone who is new.  I will make mistakes deliberately, to help the nervous newcomer feel more relaxed.”

He got along with Van Heflin (not always Stanwyck).

Heflin dominates in my opinion.  He is a decorated soldier (this is important since this was made right after WWII), but never mentions it (reminding me of Kirk Douglas in Lonely are the Brave), a gambler and a bit of a hustler, but not a character to let anything go.  He will get even.  He is also still in love with Ivers (it is Barbara Stanwyck, so you have to be).

Lewis Milestone has a good track record of films: All Quiet on the Western Front, Hallelujah I'm a Bum (which I feel is underrated), and I always forget he did the first Ocean's 11.

So, a fun film.  Because of The Hays Code, the ending is not a huge surprise, but still works well.

• Like 2

its been ages since ive seen this all the way thru...always miss big chunks 

MV5BZDhkYTM1MmEtNTFhMC00NDEyLWI1MGQtMTkzMTcwMmM3ZTkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg.42d7f78b3e34eb617103f2397fd2b4c0.jpg

Edited by nectarsis
  • Like 2

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) - I'll be honest, I don't care for this movie. I appreciate what George Miller was aspiring to but it just doesn't work for me. It seems like the special effects and stunt work just isn't able to capture what's in his imagination (hence why Fury Road works).
The plot is remarkably humdrum with uninspired dialog and wafer thin characters. I understand this is a cult classic but it just missed the mark with me.
I should say that I don't hate it. I really don't. It's fine. But having rewatched it for the first time in 25 years, I'm content with not watching it again for another 25...or maybe more.

• Like 2

Wonder Boys – (2000) – “Man, that book of yours must have one nutty ride”

Director Curtis Hanson’s comedic film adaptation of the 1995 Michael Chabon novel of the same name. Set in Pittsburgh during one very cold snowy, rainy winter weekend. Starring Michael Douglas, Francis McDormand, Tobey Maguire, Katie Holmes, Robert Downey Jr, Jane Adams & Robert Knox. With a soundtrack featuring Bob Dylan, Tom Rush, Neil Young, Tim Hardin, John Lennon, Buffalo Springfield and many more.

Plot Synopsis- “An unfinished novel, a stolen car, a murdered pet, an unstable student, a failing marriage, and a pregnant lover are among the crises piling up like a log-jam in this often-hilarious story of the bright promise gone awry. Grady Tripp (Michael Douglas) is a college professor and award-winning novelist whose latest book is seven years overdue, so it’s hardly surprising that his colleges annual literary festival fills the former wonder boy with more than his usual dose of self- doubt and anxiety”.

This is one of those movies I always find myself coming back to. Michael Douglas is on fine form, as the hit writer Grady Trip. Author of the fictional best-selling book The Arsonists Daughter. Ten years later he is now a creative writing teacher at a nearby University. He can balance more things, than a circus plate spinner. Douglas really stepped away from his usual film roles, when he decided to make this movie. The son of late Hollywood actor and filmmaker Kirk Douglas (The Vikings), shows a much rougher and rawer side. It was big contrast to the roles that he played during the 90’s.

“This looks like our old friend Mr codeine, that should take the pinch out of the old ankle”

Having never read the book, I can’t say how it compares to the screen version. As a movie it all works really well, with some great chemistry between the cast. There’s some nice comic timing, and ribbing throughout. It was Steve Kloves (Harry Potter & The Philosophers Stone) outstanding screenplay, that attracted director Curtis Hanson to this movie. The director said in an interview, that a screenplay is the foundation of any movie.

“James stories were about as sunny as his disposition, I was distracted, maybe it had something to do with the fact my wife left me this morning?”

Tobey Maguire is excellent as the troubled young writer James Leer. Who has an interest in movie star suicides of the past. In the film his character list many Golden Age Hollywood performers, who all ended their own lives with pills. He does performs this list in alphabetical order. According to IMDB, it was all lifted from Kenneth Anger’s novel Hollywood Babylon II (1984). The family of actor Alan Ladd, requested that they remove his name from the film. Which is why all versions of the movie, now remove any dialogue referring to the late American actor’s name.

"We'll put him in the garage next to the snow shovels"

Two existing Bob Dylan songs were used on the soundtrack, Not Dark Yet & Shooting Star. However, the song writing word wizard wrote one song exclusively for this production. The epic Things Have Changed, was sent to the director on a C.D by Dylan while he was on tour. After the singer song writer watched a rough cut of the film, and talked to the director about the movies themes and the main character. He then came up with his excellent commentary on mid life in the twenty first century.

You don’t have to be a Bob Dylan fan, to enjoy this entertaining quirky and unique comedy tale. Robert Downey Jr, steals so many scenes as the down on his luck New York book publisher Terry Crabtree. There’s also equally good performances from Francis McDormand, Katie Holmes, and Richard Thomas among others.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

No Holds Barred – (1989) – “Mean Gene, how dare you criticize how I dress, I dress for the occasion, and this is a stupendous occasion, and I’m of course dressed stupendously”Jesse Ventura

Over the top slice of 1980’s cinema, starring the larger-than life Hulk Hogan (Terry Eugene Boella). Anyone born before 1995, has at least heard of this man’s name. This film was WWE owner Vince McMahon’s first attempt at launching his top Pro Wrestler of the time, as a movie star. Featuring more lycra than you’ll find in your nearby sport superstore. This is by no means film making at its best.

If you’re not a fan of Pro-Wrestling, then it’s safe to say this-ones not for you. It’s the epitome of the 80’s era WWF product, colliding head on with the excessive 80’s movie business. A so bad its good mix of colourful 1980’s pop culture. Plot synopsis- “Hulk Hogan in his first starring role as Rip, a Wrestling Champion who’s been flooring some of the biggest bad guys ever to rock ‘em & sock ‘em in the ring. But when Rips unstoppable success catches the eye of unscrupulous television executive Tom Brell (Kurt Fuller) he finds himself at the centre of plan to boost the networks sinking ratings by pitting him against an evil monster named Zeus (Tony Tiny Lister)”.

“Rip’s feeling none of the effects of Jake Bullitts sleeper hold”

Hulk Hogan is playing his normal Pro-Wrestling persona in all but name. Rip looks like he’s been locked in a sunbed for twenty four hours. With arms thicker than truck tires and legs like tree trunks. Hogan will always be one of the most charismatic entertainers in Pro Wrestling history. It just doesn’t translate as well to the film screen. His acting’s more wooden than a timber yard.

Then again, who else would get to play the part of a Wrestler who can leap through limousine roofs, with ease. Toss dumb bells around like there tennis balls, and close line crooks. All while wooing the ladies at the same time. Not forgetting one the films best scenes, where Rip goes all Streets of Rage (Sega Mega-Drive), on some sloppy lead pipe wielding thugs for hire.

- “Guess who this is Zeus?”
- “I don’t Guess”

This movie was never made with adult’s eyes in mind, but for many kids who followed Wrestling at the time. As a seven-year-old child, the movie made perfect sense and I completely forgive its many short comings. The script was originally written by veteran writer Dennis Hacken. Only Vince McMahon wasn’t impressed with his work. He decided to re-write it with star and fellow producer Hulk Hogan. It took the pair 72 hours to come up with a new version. Which might explain how the film ended up the way it did?.

“These people would cheer on a hanging”

With Hogan standing 6’7, they had to find him a suitable foe that would appear to give him a challenge/struggle on-screen. Enter 6’5 Tony Tiny Lister, an actor who had never been near a Wrestling ring in his life. Discovered by movie director Walter Hill, who cast him in one of his films. Here Lister plays Zeus, a crazed cross between Clubber Lang & Ivan Drago. The Late Tony Lister, who along with Hogan only gets to grunt his way through the entire runtime.

Decked out in platform shoes, shoulder pads, chain mail vest and a Z shaved into his head. Not forgetting the Z on his belt, t-shirt, jacket, gym mirror, wrestling ring etc. If No Holds Barred had been a box office success, then McMahon planned to put Zeus in the main event at Wrestlemania XI – (1990). Instead, he sold the movie on Pay Per View, paired with a Cage Match featuring Randy Savage & Zeus VS Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake.

“You better run man, you better run for your life”

Jim Johnston provided what might be the most 80’s soundtrack of all-time?. The main theme, an aptly titled power ballad ‘No Holds Barred’, is a prime slice of 80’s music at its cheesiest. There’s so much unintentional comedy and randomness, I just can’t cover it all. Top actor Kurt Fuller, even struggles to make the best of his role. As the rival Wrestling promoter, who discovered backyard wrestling, ten years before it became a big thing. There’s tires for turnbuckles, and little in the way of rules. The final showdowns nothing special sadly, Zeus was never the worlds best wrestler during his very brief in ring career. Which limited what they could do with the fight choreogrpahy here. Its a mix of blocks, chops, chokeholds and bodyslams.

If you’re looking for some light hearted Wrestling themed nostalgia, then this ones for you.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Another WolfCop (2017) - I think I remember somewhat liking the original so finding out about this sequel got me mildly interested. There's one good joke and some solid gore to be enjoyed in this wacky and wild horror comedy, but this really isn't my cup of tea anymore. However, with its under 80 minute runtime, it's ideal for when you wanna watch something you don't really care to review in any shape or form.

Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Street (1971) - I believe Pastoral (1974) was the first I've seen and is still kinda my favorite. With his first feature-lenght film, Japanese counterculture/theater legend and an avant-garde poet/filmmaker Shuji Terayama, picks an even more radical and provocative approach, directing an experimental movie that mocks and attacks Japan for its plunge into materialism, largely seeming to put the blame on the Western influences. Terayama's use of colors seems to be his trademark from the very beginning, and the boxing motive is present once again (Boxer (1977) is also a personal favorite though far more conventional), but there's also the burning of the US flag, sex, graffiti, Japanese rock, punching bag shaped like a penis, a girl doing it with the entire football team after her rabbit's been killed, breaking of the fourth wall, and one of my favorite scenes: a bunch of Japanese schoolgirls singing a song When I grow up to be a whore while undressing, with cows in the background. Directed with youthful energy, powerful vision and packed with brilliant moments, but not for everyone.

Fascism on a Thread - The Strange Story of Nazisploitation Cinema (2019) - With only a handful of Nazi porno films seen, I'm far from being an expert, but this is a nice introduction to one of the more infamous exploitation genres. While not perfectly structured and somewhat losing its focus in the final third, this is still a precious little documentary and a good starting point for anyone interested in the genre, along with its forerunners and progenitors, as well as its highlights. Unexpectedly, one of the most interesting things about it, was a mention of a never released Ilsa movie that was to pair the wicked warden played by the one and only Dyanne Thorne with Bruce Lee (well actually, one of the clones obviously)!

vlcsnap-2021-12-12-10h48m12s627.png

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 3

Escalation (Christian "Kang" Bachini, 2021): I saw this horror film short at Spooky Empire in October and I finally reviewed it a few weeks ago. It's the story of a self-centered chef whose guilty conscience eats him alive...literally after a masked figure in a horror film on the TV forces the chef to give himself up. Bachini, a filmmaker who started as a martial arts stuntman in China, did all of his own stunts as the chef and uses graphic practical effects for the horror portions. Overall, a great short film that's a horror film's dream. 

I actually talked to Christian today about the short film and his plans to make a feature film version.

https://anchor.fm/worldfilmgeek/episodes/Episode-8-Forced-Into-Escalation---with-special-guest-Christian-Bachini-e1bn38u

• Like 2

DJANGO UNCHAINED – (2012)  “You ain’t got anything better to do, than go into Bill Sharps town, and show your ass”

Epic, claret laden tale of repression, love, revenge and brutality set 1858 Deep South America. Written and directed by American filmmaker Quentin Tarantino. This movie combines influences from many eras of cinema, all mixed into Tarantino’s contemporary cinematic blender. Directors such as Sergio Corbucci, Walter Hill, Sam Peckinpah and more can be seen in this raw and uncompromising revisionist Western. With a varied mix of both new and old songs, and soundtrack samples.

The film kicks, off with a Spaghetti Western influenced credit sequence. Django (Jamie Foxx), is seen been driven through the desert by slavers. His back is like a road map, covered in scars from his punishments. It reminds me of the opening of Stanley Kubrick’s Spartacus (1967), and how the early scenes set up the resilience of the film’s hero. It also reveals that his character has stood up to the extreme repression & violence, being forced upon on him.

Tarantino’s unfiltered script got a lot of heat at the time the film hit cinemas, almost ten years ago. A politically correct script, just wouldn’t have worked for a story like this. It would only have diluted it completely. Like a lot of Quentin Tarantino’s movie dialogue its raw, quick, edgy, and soaked in dark black humor.

“My good man, did you simply get carried away with your dramatic gesture, or are you pointing your weapon at me with lethal intention”

If Willy Wonka had an evil racist ancestor who lived 1858 America. He probably would have looked like jaded aristocrat Calvin Candie, played with sadistic style by diverse veteran actor Leonardo DiCaprio. Who’s come a long way since his performance in the 1997 box-office hit Titanic. He’s really convincing, as the scene stealing sadist with a love of human death matches.

Jamie Foxx is on top form, as quick-thinking ex slave turned bounty hunter Django. Who’s quick reflexed more resilient than a miner’s pick. Who works really well with co-star Christopher Waltz. Kerry Washington is great as the elegant iron-willed character and Django’s wife Broomhilda von Shaft. According to director, their characters are supposed to be the great, great grand-parents of movie character Shaft (1971), played by Richard Roundtree. It’s Kerry Washingtons low key character, that helps to drive the story along.

“I’m just playing all of these great composers,” Tarantino recalled. “[Ennio] Morricone, Riz Ortolani, Luis Bacalov, and then the first scene literally what’s in the movie, the first scene of Django comes to me…And the next thing I know, I’m writing it.” – Quentin Taratino

You can’t talk about this film, without mentioning a few more of its Italian movie influences. Of which there are so many, I’m unable to list them all. The revisionist Italian Westerns helped to re-start the Western genres in the mid-60’s. Jamie Foxx's character, is named after main character, in the 1966 - Sergio Corbucci Western Django. The original star of Django - Franco Nero, also makes a cameo in this flick. There’s even a track from this cult 1966 Italian movies soundtrack. With the catchy main theme composed by Luis Bacalov, re-used over the credits of Django Unchained (2012).

With a runtime of over two hours, it’s a movie you need to dedicate some time to. Tarantino has talked about wanting to release an extended cut in the future. Not one to be viewed on a small screen, that would just hinder the work of cinematographer Robert Richardson (Shutter Island). Before I wrap up this long winded ramble, I’d like to highlight some of the cameos in this one, Bruce Dern, Tom Savini, Zoe Bell, Keith Carradine, Don Johnson to name a few. Special mention goes to Samuel L. Jackson, as Calvin Candies partner in crime Samuel.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5