What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

masterofoneinchpunch
1 hour ago, SuperTiaanBro said:

I'm probably going to watch Army of Darkness for the first time. I've seen the first two Evil Dead films and can't wait to watch this one!

Evil Dead Ash GIF

Absolutely love it.  I have seen it many times over the years.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SuperTiaanBro said:

I'm probably going to watch Army of Darkness for the first time. I've seen the first two Evil Dead films and can't wait to watch this one!

Evil Dead Ash GIF

Man, you're in for a treat. "Army of Darkness" is brilliant. Try the "Ash Vs Evil dead" TV show also. Its awesome too. 

• Like 3

On 10/19/2021 at 3:04 AM, DarthKato said:

My favorite horror series of all time. I really appreciate all the stuff the cast and crew had to go through to bring us this horror classic. 

Like what? Where can i read about it?

• Like 2

SuperTiaanBro

I just watched Prince of Darkness and Howard the Duck. POD is a great film, John Carpenter is one of my favorite directors. Howard the Duck is such a crazy movie, but it's funny. Weird to see George Lucas brought us Star Wars and Howard the Duck.

howard the duck waiting GIF by absurdnoise

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WangYu said:

Like what? Where can i read about it?

Its mostly their living conditions during filming was really bad. They had to stay in the very cabin that they where filming in. Which didn't have any power, water, or heat. I read somewhere, that they had to huddle in one room to try and stay warm. They also didn't have a lot of the equipment that was needed to do what they wanted to do. So they had to improvise, and they also got a lot of the stuff they would use for blood and such from a store down the road. And speaking of money, they kept running out and had to keep raising more to be able to keep filming. 

I've read stuff about it from a variety of places over the years, but I was able to find this interview for you, where Bruce Campbell talks a little about his time making Evil Dead: Making Evil Dead

Here is also a video where they talk about the making of Evil Dead: Evil Dead Documentary

And here is a companion book to the film: Amazon: Evil Dead Companion Book

Edited by DarthKato
  • Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 3/24/2015 at 1:47 AM, AlbertV said:

The Black Cobra Trilogy (1987-1990): Fred "The Hammer" Williamson channels his Blaxploitation action hero in a series of Italian-made B-movies in which the first film rips off Stallone's film Cobra but then sends him to the Philippines for the next two films.

An extended period of lockdown also saw me eventually turning to this trilogy for some good old Italian rip-off cinema (with the added bonus of Filipino goodness). Click on the links below to be taken to the full reviews over at COF - 

Black Cobra (1987)

The Black Cobra 2 (1989)

Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990)

• Like 3

On 10/24/2021 at 8:42 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

An extended period of lockdown also saw me eventually turning to this trilogy for some good old Italian rip-off cinema (with the added bonus of Filipino goodness). Click on the links below to be taken to the full reviews over at COF - 

Black Cobra (1987)

The Black Cobra 2 (1989)

Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990)

These are still in my un-watched pile, must have them for a good few years now.

• Like 2

The Legend of Hell House – (1973) – Whispering voices, anti-social furniture, creaky rusty gates and possession. Are just some of the creepy elements, in this early 1970’s British Horror movie from A.I.P Studios. A physicist and his wife, stay with two mediums in an old abandoned mansion house. If they can make it through the week, there will be a large pay check for them all. The owners of the house sealed up the property, after the death of some psychic investigators in the early 1950’s. Now desperate for money, they want the house to be opened to the public.

“Although the story of this film is fictitcious, the events depicted involving physic phenomena are not only very much within the bounds of possibility, but could well be true” – Tom Corbett (Clairvoyant & Psychic consultant to European Royalty)

Filmed during October and November of 1972, the film is set around the build up to Christmas. Just don’t expect any tinsel or turkey in this one. It’s not the kind of story you’ll find in your average Christmas film. The Legend of Hell House is an atmospheric, above average psychological Horror yarn. All wrapped up in creepy supernatural goings on.

Wykehurst Park in West Sussex, is the location used for the fictional Belasco House. It’s about as warm and inviting as an artic blizzard. Within moments of the four main characters arrival. They are sensing a strange dark atmosphere, that literally tries to get under their skin. Script writer Richard Matheson, based the story on his novel Hell House (1971). Matheson had to tone down some of the sexual content for the screen version. He also switched the location from America, to the U.K.

Belasco House was once owned by an American, Emeric Belasco. Who is said to be modelled on Alister Crowley?. Emeric’s evil spirit appears to be reluctant to leave its former home. Only strong- minded medium Benjamin Franklin Fischer (Roddy Mcdowell). Has other plans for the tricky malignant energy.

“He knew what was coming, year’s before it came”

Director John Hough, builds the tension up nice and slowly. If you are looking for constant shocks and gore, its not that kind of Horror film. If you enjoy a decent ghost story, you won’t be left disappointed. That said, some of the content might look outdated and comedic now. To those brought up on more recent films such as Paranormal Activity (2007).

The late Roy Whybrow (The Boys from Brazil), added some excellent practical effects work. That bring all the super natural jumps to life. Working nicely with Delia Derbyshire & Brian Hodgson’s basic electronic bassline score, which also used some minor woodwind and brass stab effects. The soundtrack still has no official release.

Pamela Franklin, Clive Revill (The Black Windmill) and the lovely Gayle Hunnicutt (Marlow) round out the cast. Clive Revill is on form as the scientific sceptic Dr Barrett, who is seeking a more practical explanation. For all the strange unearthly happenings at Belasco. Gayle Hunnicutt is equally good as his supportive wife Ann Barrett. A character who undergoes a few drastic personality changes. If you enjoy lesser known 1970’s Horror movies, this is one for you.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Harry Brown – (2009) – hard edged British thriller directed by Daniel Barber. About a former British Marine Harry Brown (Sir Michael Caine) “forced to dispense his own brand of justice as he bids to clean up the run down Estate, he calls home”. Caine delivers a very touching performance as the brave but lonely widower, who has lost everything. It’s another powerful performance from one of British cinemas true greats. If you’re a fan of British movies, then it’s worth seeking out Harry Brown.

“The Marines was a lifetime ago, I’m a different man now”

Sir Michael is a veteran of the Korean war, who was given his combat training in Japan aged just 19. "They were 19-year-olds, as we had been when we went in," - "I looked at them and I looked at us, and we looked 10 years older than they did."Michael Caine on leaving Korea. He grew up on a London council Estate not far from where Harry Brown was filmed. All this gives him a very personal connection to the role he played.

The actor once said, the Army taught him that not all heroes are six foot three, with perfect teeth and facial features. Like in the movies he had been brought up on as a child and teenager. His real-life military experience, means this movie gets some really nice authentic touches. The knife that Caine character has in the story, is a Fairbain/Sykes knife. Designed for knife fighting and given to Commandos in World War 2.

Talented actress Emily Mortimer has some nice chemistry with Caine. Playing the ballsy and honest D.I Frampton, who takes her job more seriously than her career hungry colleagues. Mortimer gives a really strong performance here. David Bradley, Joe Gilgun, Jack O’Connell, Sean Cunningham, Iain Glenn, and Sean Harris are just some of the great supporting actors involved.

“You failed to maintain your weapon sir”

This is the kind of movie that could easily just become a low budget exploitation flick. The edgy script by Gary Young, matched with some first-rate acting performances. Stops the story turning into just another Death Wish (1971) rip-off. Along with some first-rate cinematography from Martin Ruhe.

In 2008, another titan of the filmmaking worlds Clint Eastwood. Played an ex Korean war veteran in Gran Torino. About a man who refuses to let some hoodlums destroy his neighbours lives. Sir Michael Caines film is much darker, grittier, and violent. But there’s still a lot of connections between the two films. That both feature men of same generation, standing up for what they believe in. Despite losing so much in life, both men keep their code of honor.

The experimental instrumental soundtrack, was put together by various artists. Pete Tong, Chase & Status, Ruth Barrett, Theo Green, Martin Phipps. Cast member Ben Drew also had some involvement in the music score too. He’s really convincing as the vicious two-bit gangster and pimp. Who get’s on the wrong side of Harry Brown.

“This is not Northern Ireland Harry”
“No, it’s not, those people where fighting for something; for a cause. To them out there, this is just entertainment”

Michael Caine said on the film’s audio commentary, that Britain has the smallest social housing in Europe. Saying this is has a big effect on young people psyche. His character reminds me a lot of my late grandad Jack Dawson. Harry Brown is character who runs his flat with military like precision. It’s clean and tidy, and despite being over 70, he’s still the best dressed man on his lawless run-down estate. While my grandad didn’t go around housing estates with a commando knife and a snub nose pistol. He kept his house, very much like Harry Brown. He was also a veteran of World War 2, serving as a tank driver in India.

• Like 3

movie time:  fun movie that Stranger Things rips off right and left...added bonus of multiple horror nods, especially RomeroMV5BMjIzNjEyMzcwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTkyMjE0NQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg.cac69f87740d3a8e7cce810f4c06fa56.jpg

• Like 2

Well leading up to and past Halloween I saw the following because they were on tv

Halloween 1 to 5

halloween 2018

nightmare on elm street

midsommar

gretel and hansel

the evil dead

the ring 1 and 2

event horizon

scream

Countdown

I have not had enough!

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2

SuperTiaanBro
On 11/2/2021 at 10:17 AM, WangYu said:

Well leading up to and past Halloween I saw the following because they were on tv

Halloween 1 to 5

halloween 2018

nightmare on elm street

midsommar

gretel and hansel

the evil dead

the ring 1 and 2

event horizon

scream

Countdown

I have not had enough!

The Evil Dead is great and so is The Ring!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperTiaanBro said:

The Evil Dead is great and so is The Ring!

I pretty much enjoy every movie I listed even the Halloween sequels! 

• Like 3

French Dispatch- Some beautiful scrnes and sequences considering wes andersons style. This is his anthology film. Some seemingly pointless, pretentious, and boring. But maybe thats what should of been expected going into this. The anthology format feels a little bit like a letdown in the same sense as the coen brothers recent western, but also unique and peciliar in that regard. Some really funny dry humor (sounds like an oxymoron) I havent seen any Woody Allen but Id imagine this is what theyre like in their best moments.

• Like 2

"Maggie(2015)"- I really enjoyed this one. It was interesting to see Arnold Schwarzenegger in a drama, instead of an action flick. He was very good in this, showing that he can do more than just action films. Yeah, this isn't really a standard, Arnie action flick, so if you go in thinking it is, you might be disappointed. I also loved the actress that played Maggie, Abigail Breslin. She brought a sweet, innocence to the role that made you root for her, and hope that she somehow would make it in the end. The story was also really good, being a fresh take on the Zombie Genre. This feels more "realistic" than most other movies of this type and the characters actually feel believable, instead of the Stereotypical-Archetypes that are often used.  So yeah, very good movie, just as long as you go into it with the right mindset. 5/5 Defiantly Recommended. 

• Like 2

The Harder They Fall (2021) - Definitely one of the best films I’ve seen this year and I’m not really a big western fan. Perfect casting, fantastic direction and some awesome action set pieces. It’s a smidgen too long at almost two and a half hours but it kept me engaged and entertained the entire time. 

• Like 2

The Empty Man (2020) - I'm usually pretty good when it comes to complex films. I'm usually able to decipher most films I watch or at least interpret their themes so I can get a more concise idea as to what happened. But this one went totally over my head. By the end, I had no idea what the film was really about.
The Empty Man starts like any other supernatural horror. Then it takes a HARD RIGHT. Cults are involved. Then the theory of manifestation is introduced. I won't spoil anything but it all gets a bit complicated. The last twenty minutes left me totally befuddled. To the extent that I plan on Googling what the film actually means.
It's actually a good film. Well shot, superbly acted and very interesting. Until it goes totally off the rails. Maybe I'm a dummy and someone can make sense of it a little better than I did. I'd recommend it but make sure you strap in and pay attention.

• Like 2

The Warriors – (1979) – The pacey Walter Hill directed classic, set in a tough and unforgiving futuristic New York. There are more street gangs than T.V sets, in this fantasy version of the Big Apple. Based on the 1965 novel of the same name written by Sol Yurick and illustrated by Frank Modell.

“Every gang in the city’s gonna be there”

The book was a written by Yurick, as a reaction to the 1961 gang themed musical West Side Story. Which showed a very romanticized version of urban gang culture. Producer Laurence Gordon found a copy of the book in 1969, and bought the film rights straight away. It was later adapted for the screen by David Shaber & Walter Hill.

My first introduction to The Warrior’s, was renting it while I was at, University. I have to say the movie looked so much better, when I re-watched the Director’s Cut on Blu-Ray. There’s no extra footage in this version, it just features some visual changes by Walter Hill. Which he wanted to do back in the late 70’s. Until budget restraints forced him to change his mind. The film now has illustrated freeze frame montages. Which keep it more in line with its comic book origins.

This 1979 production shows you can make a futuristic movie based on a comic. Without the use of CGI, or big blockbuster budgets. If you’ve ever been caught on the wrong side of town, this story you can relate to. The plot focuses on a street gang called The Warriors. Who go to a gang treaty miles away from their home turf Cony Island. Only to end up being framed for, murder. Stuck between the gangs and the Police, it’s a hard road ahead.

“Were going in there like everyone else, no weapons, nine guys”

Each of the street gangs have their own individual identity, expressed through their colourful clothing. Some of the opening scenes, look like a cosplay convention gone wild. A big, hats off to the costume designers Bobbie Mannix & Mary Ellen Winston. Creating some iconic looking costumes, that were way ahead of their day. If you can imagine Alex’s gang of Droogs from A Clockwork Orange (1971) crossed with the rock band Kiss. Then you might have an idea of how the Baseball Furies look. They even have one eye highlighted with Make-up, like the Alex character.

Walter Hill keeps the tension tight, throughout the hour and half runtime. Filmed almost entirely at night, which helps give the film it’s un-worldly feel. The icing on the cake is Barry De Vorzon’s highly original music score. Which really adds to the tension. With the exception of the Joe Walsh & Barry De Vorzon song In the City. The entire movie had been fully scored using an electronic synthesizer. Something which had never been done before at the time.

“Our friends are on second base, and trying to make it all the way home”

One of my favourite scenes, features actor Deborah Van Valkenburgth (Mercy) in her debut role, & Michael Beck (Swan) sitting on the subway train. They’ve spent their whole night running for their lives, covered in blood & sweat. Then two young rich couples get on the train, after a night at the prom. There’s no dialogue, the actors communicate everything with just a look.

When Walter Hill discovered that actor Marcelino Sanchez was openly gay. He decided to make his screen character the same. When the Warriors fall for some ladies of the night. It’s only Sanchez character Rembrandt, that doesn’t fall for the trick. Filling out the rest of the Warriors gang were actors Terry Michos, James Remar, Tom Mcketterick, David Harris, Dorsey Wright & Dorsey Taylor. Special mention goes to Roger Hill, and his charismatic performance as Cyrus. Not forgetting David Patrick Kelly as Luther the warped gang boss with a love of glass bottles.

Just one of the many on set injuries during this tough shoot, saw stuntman Steven Chambers get seven ribs broken. He’s the guy playing the last standing member of the Baseball Furies, in the park fight scene. Actress Deborah Van Valkenburgth fell over and broke her wrist. Which is why her character goes missing in the movie, and later turns up wearing a coat to cover her cast. If you enjoy good pre-1980’s action cinema, The Warriors is one to watch.

• Like 6

Great stylish film "the warriors" surprisingly good fight scenes as well. I wish tv would replay stuff like this every now and then instead of the umpteenth rerun of die hard or Indiana jones films.

There surely must be an audience that want to watch cult films on tv like southern comfort, the warriors, the emerald forest, bullit or any Charles Bronson film etc

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2

@nectarsis

Ok so is the movie grave robbers as good as the poster suggest or shouldn't I even bother? lol

You tricked me before with doom asylum and edge of the axe into watching a film. I can tell you it was not worth it :-P

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 3

Fast & Furious 6

My favorite so far. Liked the banter between characters, for the first time it felt like they were friends. Action wise they go completely over the top but it was spectacular to watch. Plot itself was bare but it was all about the subplots here. Lots of great scenes like Dom and Letty talking to each other or the fight scene between Roman and Han vs the guy from the Raid. Hobbs is a lot of fun. There was another surprising dead but by now I'm pretty sure they will find a way to bring Gisele back as well lol

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2