What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Super Ninja
13 hours ago, nectarsis said:

first time watch

f911a504-5169-4a20-b5d7-19a7b3f190bd.jpg.a88c8f6702f523a111a65b84f2756306.jpg

My fave zombie flick and one of two fave Fulci films next to The Psychic.

• Like 3

Why do these films never quite live up to the posters! Reminds me of those awesome vhs covers of horror films and sword and sorcery films. I was so disappointed after renting army of darkness purely based on the cover art. Same for the like of deathstalker

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

DragonClaws
On 8/8/2021 at 12:44 PM, WangYu said:

Why do these films never quite live up to the posters! Reminds me of those awesome vhs covers of horror films and sword and sorcery films. I was so disappointed after renting army of darkness purely based on the cover art. Same for the like of deathstalker

I think every movie fan has gone through this at somepoint. They needed a good hook, to capture peoples eyes in the video stores. They were competing with all the other labels, who were trying to do the same thing. In some cases, more effort went into the posters than the movies themselves.

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

Last week's GOOD/ BAD MOVIE NIGHT was....

For a Few Dollars More paired with 1987's Masters of the Universe  :happy

• Like 3

Revisited DC Cab this weekend. I love this 80's cult classic. If the sitcom Taxi and Police Academy had a love child, it's DC Cab, co-written and directed by Joel Schumacher. Adam Baldwin is the heart of the film as young stalwart Albert Hockenberry, who heads to DC to visit his late father's war buddy who owns the titular company. Gary Busey is funny and wild as loudmouth Dell, the late Charlie Barnett shared with Baldwin one of the funniest scenes, "The Run"; Paul Rodriguez as a self-proclaimed gigolo; Bill Maher as musician Baba; Mr. T. as Samson, the tough man with a heart of gold; Peter and David Paul as the strong yet goofy twins Buddy and Buzzy; Marsha Warfield as Ophelia, who constantly gets robbed and is constantly lured to join a rival cab company. The 3rd act involved Albert getting kidnapped along with an ambassador's children, forcing the cabbies to unite to rescue him.

Charlie Barnett was hilarious in this scene at 0:17

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

Daar Doer in die Bosveld (1951): Translated as Far Away in the Bushveld, this was the film debut of one of South Africa's most renowned filmmakers, the late Jamie Uys (1921-1996). This film, in which Uys takes the lead role, revolves around a farmer who is asked to pick up the new school mistress leading to a series of wacky misadventures back to town. Those who have seen Uys' renowned The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980) will recognize that this is the same as the subplot of Marius Weyers' shy and wacky Andrew Steyn falling for school mistress Kate Thompson, played by Sandra Prinsloo. In the case here, Jamie Uys is the shy farmer Hans Botha with his real-life wife Hettie playing school mistress Martie du Toit. Pretty fun film in the classic slapstick manner and it only runs 61 minutes. The full movie is on YouTube with English subtitles.

• Like 3

Yesterday, I finished watching "Bates Motel Season 5"(The Last Season): It was pretty good and did an alright job of wrapping up the series. Cannot say it was my favorite season of the series. I was hoping for something a little bit closer to the original movie(I know they couldn't go exactly with the movie. Just wish they had just stuck a little bit closer were they could). But overall, I was satisficed with what I saw. I'm kind of sad now that there isn't anymore to collect. Man, I have loved every second of this show. 

Today, I watched "Sin City"(2005) for the first time: God, this movie was glorious! Never have I seen a film that was so lovingly true to the source material. Everything is beautifully recreated, scene for scene, word for word from the Graphic Novel. The casting was perfect, with each actor/actress truly embodying their character. Seriously, as a fan of this series, I couldn't be more satisfied. It gave me everything I wanted, and more. I defiantly recommend it, so check it out. 

• Like 5

The Last of The Mohican’s – (1992) – Director, Co-Writer Michael Mann’s presents a soaring story of transcendent love, an authentically detailed recreation of a turbulent era in U.S Colonial history and an exciting saga of flintlocks and tomahawks warfare: Warner Brothers Synopsis

“My father's people say that at the birth of the sun and of his brother the moon, their mother died. So the sun gave to the earth her body, from which was to spring all life. And he drew forth from her breast the stars, and the stars he threw into the night sky to remind him of her soul” - Hawkeye

The definitive screen adaptation of the Canadian set adventure by James Fenimore Cooper, published in 1825. It’s the second book in the Leather Stocking tales pentalogy (narrative work that is explicitly divided into five parts). Which was loosely inspired by the real life rescue of Jamima Boone and the Callaway Girls. When they were kidnapped in Kentucky, by a raiding Cherokee-Shawnee war party in the late 17th Century. Before being later saved by their father Daniel Boone.

Three stoic men Hawkeye (Daniel Day-Lewis), Chingachgook (Russell Means) & Uncas (Eric Schwieg), are members of quickly a vanishing tribe called the Mohicans. They get caught up in the Colonial Wars. When they save a brave British officer and two young ladies from a Mohawk ambush. The same tribe that invented the mohawk, thousands of years before the punk scene adopted it in the late 1970’s. Both the French & English were fighting over land that didnt even belong to them. Stuck between the warring armies are the working-class farmers. Who can only get land cheaply, by living on the dangerous Canadian frontiers.

Daniel Day-Lewis dedication to the acting profession, always went above and beyond many of his peers. He spent seven months living off the land, just to help him get into character. He also trained with an American Army Colonel, to improve his hand to-hand combat and shooting skills. In the movie his character uses a replica Pennsylvania Long Rifle. Other members of the cast and crew, also spent time living in the North Carolina wilderness in preparation for their parts.

Michael Mann and the editors delivered an electric pace to the film, that never lets up from the opening scenes. Which is only aided by Trevor Jones (Excalibur – Labyrinth) & Randy Edelman’s equally epic soundtrack, with a catchy Irish lilt to it. With contributions from well-known music producer Daniel Lanois, Dougie McLean and the band Clannad. The score really compliments the grandiose of the beautiful scenery in which the story is set.

The film features some of the best Historical on-screen action scenes, ever put on film. Thanks to work of veteran Western Stunt Coordinator Mickey Gilbert, and his stunt crew. The final battle being a particular standout. Most of the extras spent three-months enduring battle training. 900 of them were Native Americans from across North America, including stuntman Leon Goodstriker.

Special mention goes to actors Russell Means and Eric Schwieg, who both bring strong charismatic performances to the screen. Playing Hawkeyes adoptive father and brother respectively. The distinctive gunstock war club wielded in the film by actor Russel Means. Was designed and created by Jim Yellow Eagle, just for this movie. Wes Studi has the standout performance, as the clever cold-eyed Mohawk Chief Mogwai.

There’s a nice balance between the drama, action and romance. Hawkeye ends up falling in love with headstrong Cora Munro, played by actress Madeleine Stowe(Twelve Monkey’s). Stowe has good screen presence, and was well prepared for the more physical scenes. With a background in Kickboxing, Taekwondo and Tai Chi-Kuan. Her on-screen sister is played well by actress Jodhi May. Whose role was sadly reduced during the editing process. British actor Steven Waddington also does a fine turn as Hawkeye’s rival in love, the fearless but mis-guided Major Duncan Heywood.

Over-all the 1992 version of The Last of The Mohicans is one of the best-films to come out of the 1990’s, with some excellent editing, cinematography, and costumes. The entire cast and crew really nailed it with this. That said, if you don’t dig Historical dramas/adventure its one to miss. There is a Director Cut out there, but you can really go wrong with either version.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The Last of The Mohican’s – (1992) – Director, Co-Writer Michael Mann’s presents a soaring story of transcendent love, an authentically detailed recreation of a turbulent era in U.S Colonial history and an exciting saga of flintlocks and tomahawks warfare: Warner Brothers Synopsis

“My father's people say that at the birth of the sun and of his brother the moon, their mother died. So the sun gave to the earth her body, from which was to spring all life. And he drew forth from her breast the stars, and the stars he threw into the night sky to remind him of her soul” - Hawkeye

The definitive screen adaptation of the Canadian set adventure by James Fenimore Cooper, published in 1825. It’s the second book in the Leather Stocking tales pentalogy (narrative work that is explicitly divided into five parts). Which was loosely inspired by the real life rescue of Jamima Boone and the Callaway Girls. When they were kidnapped in Kentucky, by a raiding Cherokee-Shawnee war party in the late 17th Century. Before being later saved by their father Daniel Boone.

Three stoic men Hawkeye (Daniel Day-Lewis), Chingachgook (Russell Means) & Uncas (Eric Schwieg), are members of quickly a vanishing tribe called the Mohicans. They get caught up in the Colonial Wars. When they save a brave British officer and two young ladies from a Mohawk ambush. The same tribe that invented the mohawk, thousands of years before the punk scene adopted it in the late 1970’s. Both the French & English were fighting over land that didnt even belong to them. Stuck between the warring armies are the working-class farmers. Who can only get land cheaply, by living on the dangerous Canadian frontiers.

Daniel Day-Lewis dedication to the acting profession, always went above and beyond many of his peers. He spent seven months living off the land, just to help him get into character. He also trained with an American Army Colonel, to improve his hand to-hand combat and shooting skills. In the movie his character uses a replica Pennsylvania Long Rifle. Other members of the cast and crew, also spent time living in the North Carolina wilderness in preparation for their parts.

Michael Mann and the editors delivered an electric pace to the film, that never lets up from the opening scenes. Which is only aided by Trevor Jones (Excalibur – Labyrinth) & Randy Edelman’s equally epic soundtrack, with a catchy Irish lilt to it. With contributions from well-known music producer Daniel Lanois, Dougie McLean and the band Clannad. The score really compliments the grandiose of the beautiful scenery in which the story is set.

The film features some of the best Historical on-screen action scenes, ever put on film. Thanks to work of veteran Western Stunt Coordinator Mickey Gilbert, and his stunt crew. The final battle being a particular standout. Most of the extras spent three-months enduring battle training. 900 of them were Native Americans from across North America, including stuntman Leon Goodstriker.

Special mention goes to actors Russell Means and Eric Schwieg, who both bring strong charismatic performances to the screen. Playing Hawkeyes adoptive father and brother respectively. The distinctive gunstock war club wielded in the film by actor Russel Means. Was designed and created by Jim Yellow Eagle, just for this movie. Wes Studi has the standout performance, as the clever cold-eyed Mohawk Chief Mogwai.

There’s a nice balance between the drama, action and romance. Hawkeye ends up falling in love with headstrong Cora Munro, played by actress Madeleine Stowe(Twelve Monkey’s). Stowe has good screen presence, and was well prepared for the more physical scenes. With a background in Kickboxing, Taekwondo and Tai Chi-Kuan. Her on-screen sister is played well by actress Jodhi May. Whose role was sadly reduced during the editing process. British actor Steven Waddington also does a fine turn as Hawkeye’s rival in love, the fearless but mis-guided Major Duncan Heywood.

Over-all the 1992 version of The Last of The Mohicans is one of the best-films to come out of the 1990’s, with some excellent editing, cinematography, and costumes. The entire cast and crew really nailed it with this. That said, if you don’t dig Historical dramas/adventure its one to miss. There is a Director Cut out there, but you can really go wrong with either version.

Man, I haven't thought about that movie in a long time. I used to rent it quite often from the local video store. Easily my favorite version of the Last of the Mohicans. 

• Like 2

Monuments (2021): A widower takes drastic measures when he learns his late wife's family (who hate him for what they call being a "loser" when they are more redneck-ish compared to him) plan to spread her ashes in a well. He steals the ashes and goes on a cross-country road trip with the family and a so-called ex-boyfriend of the wife (she pretty told him they never dated but he's a persistant type) on his trail. Along the way, the widower meets some wacky characters and eventually gets the shock of a lifetime as he soon finds himself in the process. A fun quirky dramedy, star David Sullivan is great in this with Mighty Ducks alum Marguerite Moreau as his late wife. There are some goofy antics and some madcap moments throughout the film but the last act gets a bit emotional. 

Beautiful Lure: A Modern Tale of "Painted Face" (2021): Japanese film about a man (newcomer Ryoma Ichihara) who hopes to follow his father's footsteps to become Prime Minister of Japan. He meets a bank vice-president's assistant (Nao Hasegawa) who by night works as a club girl. However, she is not who she says she is. Knowing there could be some power involved, she entraps him to do her bidding. With the help of his childhood mentor/spiritual leader in his hometown, the man learns his new woman is actually a "youma", a nine-tailed fox demon who has plans to destroy Japan if she stays with him should he become Prime Minister. Starts out as quite a mix of drama and supernatural horror, but the final act is a bit insane and involves some sub-par CGI. However, the final scene of the film sort of makes up for that particular showdown as like Monuments, very emotional.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 9:56 AM, DragonClaws said:

What were your thoughts on Zombie Flesh Eaters/City of The Living Dead @nectarsis?.

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!

Though  I was mistaken I have seen it before I always mixed the series up because of all the name changes but I still have not seen it since the eighties so it was still like a new movie to me.

• Like 2

Spartacus(1960)

Funeral in Berlin(1966)

Escape from New York(1981)

Alien 1 & 2(1979 - 1986)

The Fly(1986)

By Dawns Early Light(1990)

Terminator 2: Judgement Day(1992)

Raptor(2001)

Gran Torino(2010)

Machete(2010) - Machete Kills(2013)

Free Solo(2018)

Rambo; Last Blood(2019)

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood(2019)

• Like 4

On 8/14/2021 at 5:31 AM, nectarsis said:

the horror holiday continues 

8102lH6PBiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.bc80b8d7dc46e4153993fd1f797a20de.jpg

My fave in the series, despite Jason still not sporting his iconic hockey mask.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) - Wes Anderson has always been a mixed bag for me. While I very much dislike Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums, I enjoyed The Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom. With that said, I just couldn’t bring myself to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox. I felt as though his hipster lens just wouldn’t work in an animated realm.

After my wife and friend convinced me I should give it a go, I decided to by the Criterion Blu Ray with a recently given Amazon gift card.

I can now say that Fantastic Mr. Fox has a place on my top ten films of all time list. This film is near perfect. Hell, it may just be perfect. It’s clever, funny, touching and so, SO well made. I couldn’t get enough of it and it’s one of the few movies I wanted to watch again immediately after finishing it.

A truly wonderful watch that deserves all the praise it gets.

• Like 2

The Conjuring: the devil made me do it

Franchise is getting stale, not scary or atmospheric, no high stakes because you know all ends well anyway. I reckon this will be the end of the series.

• Like 2

The Last Matinee (2021): Uruguayan horror film that pays tribute to the 80's slasher and Italian giallo. The film is about a group of people in a movie theater on a rainy day in Monteverde being stalked and graphically killed by a mysterious killer. Writer-director Maxi Contenti admitted that he was influenced by Demons for the setting but add to the mix Hitchcockian-style tension with some very graphic death scenes with a very shocking and gory finale. 

• Like 3

Hunting Ground aka Code of Hunting aka Cote de Caza [1983] - Dir. Jorge Grau

On the surface, it appears as Spain's version of the rape/revenge thriller but can't really classify it as exploitation cinema as this film takes its self a bit too seriously. The slow pacing and melodramatic character study didn't really prepare me for the home invasion finale which is pretty graphic in terms of onscreen brutality & does veer into exploitation territory. Seems almost like two different films at times. Caught the nice looking remastered Mondo Macabro blu ray release.

• Like 3

Rocky – (1976) – The classic gritty feel-good story, of the nice natured down and out boxer turned debt collector Rocky Balboa. The resilient survivor and amateur boxer gets one last big shot at boxing greatness. When he’s picked to fight the heavyweight champion of the world Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers). Written by Sylvester Stallone, and directed by John G. Avildsen.

Trainer- “Hey, champ, you oughta come and look at this boy you're gonna fight on TV. It looks like he means business”
Apollo Creed- “Yeah, yeah. I mean business too”

Stallone wrote the first-rate script on an old wooden box, in a rundown apartment. The place was so small and cramped he could open the window, and close his front door without evening leaving his seat. The wooden fruit box he used as a table, because he couldn’t even afford any furniture.

Earning just thirty-six dollars a night, as usher in the local theatre. One of just many jobs he did while living in New York. He even worked cleaning out animal enclosures in central park zoo. He said the only perk to the job, was he never had to fight for a seat on the busy bus ride home. Due to the bad smell that clung to his clothes.

While trying to sell his script around Hollywood, producers where more interested in taking his story and casting established, big-name actors. Burt Reynolds, Ryan O’Neil, Robert Redford and James Caan were all being considered for the lead role. When Untied Artist finally agreed to make the picture, they slashed the budget from $2 million dollars to $1million dollars. With the lead actor only receiving a fee for his writing efforts.

Many of the cast and crew wore their own clothes, there wasn’t even a costume department as such. The bull mastiff featured in the story, was Sylvester Stallone dog in real life. Named Butkus, after the big 1970s American football star Richard Marvin Butkus. When the studio started to shut down the set, due to the production going over budget. Producers Robert Chartoff & Irvin Winkler had mortgaged their own houses to come up with the $100,000 needed to complete the film.

The original script was more adult and had more in common with the Martin Scorsese directed Mean Streets (1972). After spending the last of his weeks wages on going to see the Muhammed Ali VS Chuck Wepner fight in 1975. Stallone decided put more focus on the boxing element, than the organized crime theme. While Wepner was a tough established veteran boxer at thirty-five. His career had never reached the same heights as Ali. This real-life underdog story would have a big influence on the then young actor in the audience.

American football player turned actor Carl Weathers. Was drafted in to play the charismatic Muhammed Ali inspired Apollo Creed character. Replacing real life boxer Ken Norton, who was originally cast in the role. Weather’s does a great job of bringing the flamboyant, fast talking and imposing champion boxer to life. Weathers had retired from pro football in 1973, to pursue a career in film & T.V.

Mickey- “Your gonna eat lighting and your gonna crap thunder”

The young Stallone had worked on the very same Philadelphia docks, where many of the movie scenes were shot. Permits were not used for most of the exterior scenes due to lack of money. Sometimes they filmed the actors in real places without the use of extras or sets.

When Rocky take’s Adrian (Talia Shire) on their first date to the ice rink. The studio promised 300 extras would be there. When the crew turned up there was no sign of any extras. Some quick thinking, and the use of the ice rink’s maintenance man as an extra, created one of many memorable scenes in the film. All the cast did a fine job with this production, but Talia Shire as the shy pet shop worker Adrian, is one of the standouts. Her brother is the famous Hollywood director Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather, Apocalypse Now). Shire used most of her own clothes, to create her characters introverted look.

Playing Adrian’s short tempered hard drinking on-screen brother Paulie, is top character actor Burt Young. A former U.S Marine, who was a boxer while carrying out his Military service. He won 32 of his 34 army fights. Stallone showed his fight choreography for the big finale to Young, who gave his feedback. The leading man also trained for seven months with Boxing trainer Jimmy Gambina. He plays the gym trainer/cleaner in a few of the film’s scenes.

Sylvester Stallone ate large amounts of ice cream, as a cheap way to gain more weight for the role. An old trick used by Bodybuilders, back in the days when they used to have an off season. Stallone was much heavier here, than he was in later installments. Where he developed his physique further but also dieted to trim off the excess fat. Whilst training hard with weights, under the watchful eye of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s good friend the late Franco Columbo.

The lead actor had already been a life long user of weights. Since he first saw Mr Universe Steve Reeves on T.V as a child, in Hercules Unchained (1959). The Balboa character lives in a stark bare looking apartment. But among the rundown furniture and pets, is a large chinning bar hanging from one of the roofs rafters. A nice nod to the characters interest in fitness, despite some of his struggles with smoking and drinking.

There are so many great moments in this picture, its hard to highlight one and leave out others. The scene where a beat-up Balboa, looks at the picture of himself as a child being a highlight. Many people don’t give much credit to Stallone for his acting chops. But he nails this role perfectly, and really conveys his characters emotion to the audience. Another standout moment involves Apollo’s trainer played by actor Tony Burton. He does a great expression, as he studies the T.V footage of Balboa hitting the ribs of dead cows hanging in the abattoir.

Wrapping this ramble up, there’s just a few things I have to mention. Burgess Meredith as Mickey, the straight-talking tough owner of Mighty Mick’s no-nonsense old-school Boxing gym. The catchy classic soundtrack by Bill Conti, that almost deserves a review all its own. Look out for Frank Stallone and his band, as a group of street singers keeping warm by a fire in a barrel. There’s also a small cameo from real life boxing legend, the mighty Joe Frazier. Who also worked in a slaughterhouse as a young man. Some of Mr Fraizers training methods can be seen in the film, including the famous run up the Philadelphia Museum steps.

• Like 4

Yeah Rocky is great apart from the actual boxing match. Stallone was so likeable here and you really root for him, sublime acting and writing. His on screen girl Adrian is equally charming. One of the best silver screen romances of all time!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Rocky – (1976) – The classic gritty feel-good story, of the nice natured down and out boxer turned debt collector Rocky Balboa. The resilient survivor and amateur boxer gets one last big shot at boxing greatness. When he’s picked to fight the heavyweight champion of the world Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers). Written by Sylvester Stallone, and directed by John G. Avildsen.

Trainer- “Hey, champ, you oughta come and look at this boy you're gonna fight on TV. It looks like he means business”
Apollo Creed- “Yeah, yeah. I mean business too”

Stallone wrote the first-rate script on an old wooden box, in a rundown apartment. The place was so small and cramped he could open the window, and close his front door without evening leaving his seat. The wooden fruit box he used as a table, because he couldn’t even afford any furniture.

Earning just thirty-six dollars a night, as usher in the local theatre. One of just many jobs he did while living in New York. He even worked cleaning out animal enclosures in central park zoo. He said the only perk to the job, was he never had to fight for a seat on the busy bus ride home. Due to the bad smell that clung to his clothes.

While trying to sell his script around Hollywood, producers where more interested in taking his story and casting established, big-name actors. Burt Reynolds, Ryan O’Neil, Robert Redford and James Caan were all being considered for the lead role. When Untied Artist finally agreed to make the picture, they slashed the budget from $2 million dollars to $1million dollars. With the lead actor only receiving a fee for his writing efforts.

Many of the cast and crew wore their own clothes, there wasn’t even a costume department as such. The bull mastiff featured in the story, was Sylvester Stallone dog in real life. Named Butkus, after the big 1970s American football star Richard Marvin Butkus. When the studio started to shut down the set, due to the production going over budget. Producers Robert Chartoff & Irvin Winkler had mortgaged their own houses to come up with the $100,000 needed to complete the film.

The original script was more adult and had more in common with the Martin Scorsese directed Mean Streets (1972). After spending the last of his weeks wages on going to see the Muhammed Ali VS Chuck Wepner fight in 1975. Stallone decided put more focus on the boxing element, than the organized crime theme. While Wepner was a tough established veteran boxer at thirty-five. His career had never reached the same heights as Ali. This real-life underdog story would have a big influence on the then young actor in the audience.

American football player turned actor Carl Weathers. Was drafted in to play the charismatic Muhammed Ali inspired Apollo Creed character. Replacing real life boxer Ken Norton, who was originally cast in the role. Weather’s does a great job of bringing the flamboyant, fast talking and imposing champion boxer to life. Weathers had retired from pro football in 1973, to pursue a career in film & T.V.

Mickey- “Your gonna eat lighting and your gonna crap thunder”

The young Stallone had worked on the very same Philadelphia docks, where many of the movie scenes were shot. Permits were not used for most of the exterior scenes due to lack of money. Sometimes they filmed the actors in real places without the use of extras or sets.

When Rocky take’s Adrian (Talia Shire) on their first date to the ice rink. The studio promised 300 extras would be there. When the crew turned up there was no sign of any extras. Some quick thinking, and the use of the ice rink’s maintenance man as an extra, created one of many memorable scenes in the film. All the cast did a fine job with this production, but Talia Shire as the shy pet shop worker Adrian, is one of the standouts. Her brother is the famous Hollywood director Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather, Apocalypse Now). Shire used most of her own clothes, to create her characters introverted look.

Playing Adrian’s short tempered hard drinking on-screen brother Paulie, is top character actor Burt Young. A former U.S Marine, who was a boxer while carrying out his Military service. He won 32 of his 34 army fights. Stallone showed his fight choreography for the big finale to Young, who gave his feedback. The leading man also trained for seven months with Boxing trainer Jimmy Gambina. He plays the gym trainer/cleaner in a few of the film’s scenes.

Sylvester Stallone ate large amounts of ice cream, as a cheap way to gain more weight for the role. An old trick used by Bodybuilders, back in the days when they used to have an off season. Stallone was much heavier here, than he was in later installments. Where he developed his physique further but also dieted to trim off the excess fat. Whilst training hard with weights, under the watchful eye of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s good friend the late Franco Columbo.

The lead actor had already been a life long user of weights. Since he first saw Mr Universe Steve Reeves on T.V as a child, in Hercules Unchained (1959). The Balboa character lives in a stark bare looking apartment. But among the rundown furniture and pets, is a large chinning bar hanging from one of the roofs rafters. A nice nod to the characters interest in fitness, despite some of his struggles with smoking and drinking.

There are so many great moments in this picture, its hard to highlight one and leave out others. The scene where a beat-up Balboa, looks at the picture of himself as a child being a highlight. Many people don’t give much credit to Stallone for his acting chops. But he nails this role perfectly, and really conveys his characters emotion to the audience. Another standout moment involves Apollo’s trainer played by actor Tony Burton. He does a great expression, as he studies the T.V footage of Balboa hitting the ribs of dead cows hanging in the abattoir.

Wrapping this ramble up, there’s just a few things I have to mention. Burgess Meredith as Mickey, the straight-talking tough owner of Mighty Mick’s no-nonsense old-school Boxing gym. The catchy classic soundtrack by Bill Conti, that almost deserves a review all its own. Look out for Frank Stallone and his band, as a group of street singers keeping warm by a fire in a barrel. There’s also a small cameo from real life boxing legend, the mighty Joe Frazier. Who also worked in a slaughterhouse as a young man. Some of Mr Fraizers training methods can be seen in the film, including the famous run up the Philadelphia Museum steps.

Easily one of the best movies ever made and one of my all time favorites. I love this movie so much that I actually considered taking up boxing at one point. But not having a completive bone in my body put a damper on that. lol

• Like 2

I re-visited Rad yesterday when I got the new Blu-Ray. The picture looks great and I am actually stoked that Robert Schwartzman got to obtain the rights to the film thanks to his father being executive producer. The extras include original BTS footage and full original interviews from the set with cast and crew, a featurette on the late Hal Needham, and more. 

MV5BMGZkMWNjM2MtMDJjYy00YzY3LTgzNGYtMzhk
Jose Yanez doubled for lead Bill Allen in doing the backflip for the film. Allen's main double is BMX legend Eddie Fiola, who was the inspiration for Allen's character of Cru Jones.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1