What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

@DragonClaws great review of terminator but you missed out on complementing the fantastic dark soundtrack.

the overall atmosphere of the film is nightmarish, Linda Hamilton is particularly good as she acts as if she is living out a nightmare. She has that look on her face of despair and she really can’t believe what is happening to her.those futuristic war scenes are so good and dark. For me it is a horror film. 
the sequel is great but it is the first one that I come back to again and again.

• Like 2

A colleague of mine lent me 10 westerns to watch in order that I don't be bored during last Christmas holidays and...I haven't had time to watch them at that time !!

So, this evening, it was my "Audie Murphy" evening and I watched :

Destry : Nice movie. I loved how the hero was able to avoid using his gun until the very last minutes of the movie.

Gunsmoke : Wasn't a bad movie either

Seven ways from Sundown : nice movie too, showing very well the evolution of the relation between the ranger and the outlaw.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, WangYu said:

@DragonClaws great review of terminator but you missed out on complementing the fantastic dark soundtrack.

You are right, there's a few things I left out of that ramble. Including a section on the stunt sequences.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
5 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Superman II

Four Real Friends

Hapkido

Super man IV

Airport 79 - The Concorde

You skipped Superman III?

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

You skipped Superman III?

Yep! Superman IV and Airport 79 were part of my "Bad Movie Night" that I hold every Saturday night with a couple of mates. We have a drink and laugh watching (though, not always) crap films. I think we'll have something decent this week!

• Like 3

One of my all-time favorites. Such a beautiful and at times very emotional film. A tour de force for lead actor Anton Glanzelius and Melinda Kinnaman (the half-sister of Suicide Squad's Rick Flag, Joel Kinnaman) 

WM3PAMu8qFiHbgH8yOHAX5neaJ75Yk_large.jpg

I watched these over the weekend. A four-film franchise based on V.C. Andrews' Landry Family Series. There are five books, but the last one is a prequel to the series. They are actually pretty good and faithful to the books.

ae47b8d7-6818-44a0-9116-2aa26c63a163.jpg

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

Sunshine (2007) - I can't believe I hadn't watched this one until this weekend. I love space-based tension and, for the most part, I enjoy Danny Boyle's direction. I certainly wasn't expecting something this good. I'm not mincing words when I say it's a true sci fi classic (in my eyes).

• Like 3

Today, I watched a movie I bought years ago, and I don't know if it fits in this section or in another one, since there are a few fights in it.

Bail Enforcers

Wow !! I discovered the actress Trish Stratus and...WOW, WOW, WOW ! She has several fights, and a memorable one-actually two- fights with a Chinese actress and, once again WOW ! I should say two savage fights, but what fights !!!

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
On 7/30/2021 at 1:15 PM, DragonClaws said:

He wasn't invovled in the production, sorry if I gave you that impression. I just wanted to point out that he created the stock motion special effects technique. That was used in the finale of the film.

Look at Willis O'Brien's work in The Lost World (1925) as one of the seminal stop-motion full-length works (you can find stop motion being used since the beginning of cinema; but this is important for model work).  He was a big influence on Harryhausen.  Harryhausen worked under him.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I watched these over the weekend. A four-film franchise based on V.C. Andrews' Landry Family Series. There are five books, but the last one is a prequel to the series. They are actually pretty good and faithful to the books.

ae47b8d7-6818-44a0-9116-2aa26c63a163.jpg

Those are really awesome movies( Save for Hidden Jewel, which was kind of weak, but even it was still okay). Lifetime also made a 4-part adaption of the Dollanganger(Flowers in the Attic) Series, which if you haven't seen, I highly recommend. They also made one for the Casteel Series, but I haven't seen it yet. 

• Like 3

I've been Binge watching season 3 and 4 of Bate's Motel. A brilliantly made show, with a stellar cast and superb writing. I actually prefer this one over the original classic movie(Which I also love), which hardly ever happens. I usually prefer the original version of movies and stuff, but this is so well done, that it easily tops everything else that came before. I applaud the folks that made this show. :clappinghands

• Like 3

DragonClaws

300 – (2006) – The screen is bathed in blood, in this Zack Snyder directed feature inspired by the Frank Miller graphic novel of the same name. Miller’s comic was based on the real battle between King Leonidas and the much larger invading Persian army, who attacked Greece in 480 B.C. In the actual battle, the Greek army was 6,000 strong, among them were the famous 300 Spartans. Miller did away with most of the allies, making the battle look even more epic. King Leonidas marched his army to the small Greek valley passage of Thermopylae. Which gave his much smaller numbers, a much better chance of fending off the merciless Persian hordes.

Back in 1962 Hollywood released their first screen version of the story titled 300 – Spartans. A much more-low key and family friendly version of the battle. Snyder’s much darker film takes his inspiration from an amped up graphic novel. That features more fantasy elements, and even larger than life characters.

World record holding champion mountain climber Marc Twight. Put the cast through an intensive eight-week exercise and diet program. The actors all got themselves into top physical shape for this one. However, there was some slight movie trickery. Make-up artists helped to enhance the muscular definition of the actor’s stomachs, with the help of added shading. They were playing comic book versions of real-life people afterall. To help the actors look closer to the comic version of themselves. The make up was required to add little extra visual impact. But that doesn’t take anything away from all the hard work they put into their roles.

Former Wall Street banker Gerard Butler gives his all as the brave King Leonidas. Lena Heady is just as good, as his on-screen wife and equal Princess Gorgo. The pair are very much a team, that compliment each other. David Wenholm as Dolios, binds the whole story together with his superb narration. Michael Fassbender also deserves highlighting, as the wildcard character Stelios.
Not forgetting Rodrigo Junqueira Dos Reis Santoro as the evil heavily pierced Persian King Xerxes. The late British/Iranian Martial Artist/actor Darren Shahlavi, also has a cameo in the film as one of the Persians.

The movies big strength, is its stylishly executed battle sequences handled by the team of Chad Stalhelski & Damon Caro.

“At 9 a.m. we’d do two solid hours of martial arts and sword work with the stunt people and the actors would come in for another two to four hours, and after lunch the actors would work with Mark Twight,” outlines Stahelski. “It was a full eight-hour day.”
The results are apparent on screen, which Stahelski attributes to the performers’ commitment at the gym and discipline at the table.

“They got in great shape. They’d have a cheat meal maybe once a month, but they were so good,” he says. “No one really cheated until the wrap party.”

Among the Martial Arts, and other training, the actors also had to have basic weapons skills. Even though many of them had never done any screen combat before. The original Spartans were known to work as tightly knit unit. With a very specific approach to combat and battle tactics. No doubt picked up from even older armies and warriors who came before them. The cast and crew did a fine job of re-creating this on the big screen.

All the Spartans are armed with a dory(spear), a weapon they held in higher regard than the sword. Paired with a large round shield, this was a combination they believed allowed their smaller units. To fend off much larger armies, with a greater number of soldiers. In the movie, the Spartans use the weapon like a human barbecue skewer. To fend off the endless wave of attacks they face.

If Warner Brothers had their way, the film would have been a PG-13 (12-A). But Zack Snyder held his own, and refused to make the movie unless it was R-Rated (15). You can’t tell an adult story, while working in the confines of the more lucrative young adult ratings. Shot entirely on a soundstage in Montreal, the film spent over a year in post-production, using what is referred to as the crush effect. To heavily saturate/alter all the colours on-screen.

Costume designer Michael Wilkinson, had a lot to do with the films awesome visual look. He and his team of sixty people, tried to stay as true to Frank Miller’s novel as possible. There was real attention to detail throughout the production. Gerard Butler had seventeen different helmets for his role alone. With each helmet showing a different stage of battle degradation (Wear & Tear).

300 is one of the best post-2000 action movies, that’s swimming in machismo and bizarre visuals. Not a film for the faint of heart or anyone seeking an historically accurate story. There’s just so much detail in the production, that you can spot new things upon viewing the film multiple times. Among all the action, there remains a strong theme of loyalty, love and bravery.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

300 – (2006) – The screen is bathed in blood, in this Zack Snyder directed feature inspired by the Frank Miller graphic novel of the same name. Miller’s comic was based on the real battle between King Leonidas and the much larger invading Persian army, who attacked Greece in 480 B.C. In the actual battle, the Greek army was 6,000 strong, among them were the famous 300 Spartans. Miller did away with most of the allies, making the battle look even more epic. King Leonidas marched his army to the small Greek valley passage of Thermopylae. Which gave his much smaller numbers, a much better chance of fending off the merciless Persian hordes.

Back in 1962 Hollywood released their first screen version of the story titled 300 – Spartans. A much more-low key and family friendly version of the battle. Snyder’s much darker film takes his inspiration from an amped up graphic novel. That features more fantasy elements, and even larger than life characters.

World record holding champion mountain climber Marc Twight. Put the cast through an intensive eight-week exercise and diet program. The actors all got themselves into top physical shape for this one. However, there was some slight movie trickery. Make-up artists helped to enhance the muscular definition of the actor’s stomachs, with the help of added shading. They were playing comic book versions of real-life people afterall. To help the actors look closer to the comic version of themselves. The make up was required to add little extra visual impact. But that doesn’t take anything away from all the hard work they put into their roles.

Former Wall Street banker Gerard Butler gives his all as the brave King Leonidas. Lena Heady is just as good, as his on-screen wife and equal Princess Gorgo. The pair are very much a team, that compliment each other. David Wenholm as Dolios, binds the whole story together with his superb narration. Michael Fassbender also deserves highlighting, as the wildcard character Stelios.
Not forgetting Rodrigo Junqueira Dos Reis Santoro as the evil heavily pierced Persian King Xerxes. The late British/Iranian Martial Artist/actor Darren Shahlavi, also has a cameo in the film as one of the Persians.

The movies big strength, is its stylishly executed battle sequences handled by the team of Chad Stalhelski & Damon Caro.

“At 9 a.m. we’d do two solid hours of martial arts and sword work with the stunt people and the actors would come in for another two to four hours, and after lunch the actors would work with Mark Twight,” outlines Stahelski. “It was a full eight-hour day.”
The results are apparent on screen, which Stahelski attributes to the performers’ commitment at the gym and discipline at the table.

“They got in great shape. They’d have a cheat meal maybe once a month, but they were so good,” he says. “No one really cheated until the wrap party.”

Among the Martial Arts, and other training, the actors also had to have basic weapons skills. Even though many of them had never done any screen combat before. The original Spartans were known to work as tightly knit unit. With a very specific approach to combat and battle tactics. No doubt picked up from even older armies and warriors who came before them. The cast and crew did a fine job of re-creating this on the big screen.

All the Spartans are armed with a dory(spear), a weapon they held in higher regard than the sword. Paired with a large round shield, this was a combination they believed allowed their smaller units. To fend off much larger armies, with a greater number of soldiers. In the movie, the Spartans use the weapon like a human barbecue skewer. To fend off the endless wave of attacks they face.

If Warner Brothers had their way, the film would have been a PG-13 (12-A). But Zack Snyder held his own, and refused to make the movie unless it was R-Rated (15). You can’t tell an adult story, while working in the confines of the more lucrative young adult ratings. Shot entirely on a soundstage in Montreal, the film spent over a year in post-production, using what is referred to as the crush effect. To heavily saturate/alter all the colours on-screen.

Costume designer Michael Wilkinson, had a lot to do with the films awesome visual look. He and his team of sixty people, tried to stay as true to Frank Miller’s novel as possible. There was real attention to detail throughout the production. Gerard Butler had seventeen different helmets for his role alone. With each helmet showing a different stage of battle degradation (Wear & Tear).

300 is one of the best post-2000 action movies, that’s swimming in machismo and bizarre visuals. Not a film for the faint of heart or anyone seeking an historically accurate story. There’s just so much detail in the production, that you can spot new things upon viewing the film multiple times. Among all the action, there remains a strong theme of loyalty, love and bravery.

Sounds really cool! You know a film is going to be good when you hear that the filmmakers put that kind of hard work, dedication, and love into their film.

Oh, and here is some Fun Trivia: I heard that the reason Frank Millar wrote 300 was because he had been a big fan of the original movie that was made back in 1962(Called The 300 Spartans). But when he watched it later in life, he found that it wasn't as cool as he remembered it being.  So he wrote 300 to be the version that he had pictured in his head from when he was a boy. 

• Like 4

masterofoneinchpunch
4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I had just read this long tweet thread not too long ago denouncing this film for not being politically correct.  I liked your take on this.  It is do for a rewatch.  I liked the sequel (which I got to see in the theater) as well.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
23 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I had just read this long tweet thread not too long ago denouncing this film for not being politically correct.  I liked your take on this.  It is do for a rewatch.  I liked the sequel (which I got to see in the theater) as well.

There's a lot more I could have said about the film, but it wouldve turned into a full blown essay/article.

Appreciate the feedback @DarthKato & @masterofoneinchpunch.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:42 PM, DarthKato said:

Oh, and here is some Fun Trivia: I heard that the reason Frank Millar wrote 300 was because he had been a big fan of the original movie that was made back in 1962(Called The 300 Spartans). But when he watched it later in life, he found that it wasn't as cool as he remembered it being.  So he wrote 300 to be the version that he had pictured in his head from when he was a boy. 

It was always on Saterday afternoon T.V when I was a kid, and I felt the same way upon re-watching it. Both movies have pro and cons though, neither is perfect.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

There's a lot more I could have said about the film, but it wouldve turned into a full blown essay/article.

Appreciate the feedback @DarthKato & @masterofoneinchpunch.

It was always on Saterday afternoon T.V when I was a kid, and I felt the same way upon re-watching it. Both movies have pro and cons though, neither is perfect.

You're welcome! 

Hmm.. I should probably check it out also(I haven't seen either movie for some reason), so I can compare and contrast the two films. It would be interesting to see how much they differ. 

• Like 3

Super Ninja
On 8/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, DragonClaws said:

Make-up artists helped to enhance the muscular definition of the actor’s stomachs, with the help of added shading.

That figures, I've never seen so many abs in one place. Those guys would have to be fit already in order to get to that good of a shape in just 8 weeks. 

Seen both versions and though I usually prefer older movies I liked Snyder's movie better. New age, new audience, different tastes.

Another very informative and enjoyable write up @DragonClaws. Knowing Stahelski had his fingers in action design makes me wanna rewatch it now.

• Like 4

masterofoneinchpunch

Snake Eyes (2021: Robert Schwentke):

I rank this up there (well down there) with Mortal Kombat. Heck even the protagonist has a MMA style fight -- though at least he wins here. Ultimately a just OK film with so-so action (though the finale kicks it up notch). Crazy Rich Asians kicked started Henry Golding's career (still need to see; liked him in The Gentlemen – yeah, I know my love of Guy Ritchie films, but seriously it is a good movie), but is he an action lead? I'm still not sure. He has panache and is semi-athletic -- however with the action choreography does it matter?

Oh yes, I'm going to complain once again about shaky cam, quick edits and what-the-hell is going on cinematography. It does not help that I constantly watch older action films but watching (and rewatching) the Mission Impossible series makes you realize action can still work well.

Obviously nice that Iko Uwais (The Raid) is cast in this, but it is indicative that you have no ideas of his real abilities with this direction. I felt he was wasted. Imagine if Gareth Evans directed this.  Reminds me I still need to see Evans’ segment in V/H/S/2.

This is an origin story (well duh it is called "G.I. Joe Origins") for Snake Eyes. He loses his dad early and gets his catch phrase at the same time. Lucky him. He mopes around, is the chosen one (wait that is Mortal Kombat), and eventually is singled out for a rather lame plot to retrieve (steal) this powerful stone for a Yakuza that is protected by a ninja clan (it sounds cooler than what is delivered). In the meantime, Snake Eyes needs to pass three tests (with one of them being a Yoda type test -- Luke) while he is partially smitten with Haruka Abe (they both have British accents). Being PG-13 you are not going to get Ninja Assassin type bloodshed (I missed that). With the shaky cam you are not going to get any good fights (like any Shô Kosugi lead scene). The action scenes are a blur (though as I said the ending does pick up a bit, I didn't hate it). Some of the acting is amateurish and sometimes the Cobra and G.I. Joe mentions feel camp (and yet I believe it in Mission Impossible).

I do not think I will rewatch this anytime soon. 

• Like 4