What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Manhattan Baby (1982) - I watched this Italian horror movie on a lark. It is essentially Lucio Fulci's take on The Exorcist, but without the pea-soup vomit and head spinning. And typical of Fulci, the film does not make a lick of sense.

While accompanying her father on an archaeological dig in Egypt, a young girl receives a mysterious jewel from an equally-mysterious woman with white eyes. When the family returns to NYC, strange stuff happens until the movie's over.

I liked some of Fabio Frizzi's themes in the score, but he reuses a lot of songs from his Gates of Hell and The Beyond soundtracks.

Where else but Italy can you find a movie whose last line of dialog is: "You may take my life with stuffed birds, but you may not have my eternal soul!!!"

• Like 3

Behind the Sightings (2021): A Blair Witch Project-style film about a couple who decide to make a documentary about recent creepy clown sightings in their home state of North Carolina, with disastrous results. Originally meant to be released in 2017, the film finally was released and it's very creepy and insane, especially the final ten minutes. 

Nobody (2021): Essentially it's John Wick in suburbia. A regular joe with a family doesn't do anything about a robbery in his own home but when his daughter loses her kitty-cat bracelet, a long-dormant set of skills are unleashed again and our hero, played by Bob Odenkirk, goes Wick-style against some thugs on a bus, one of them being the little brother of a Russian mobster. Clearly meant to be an action-comedy, writer Derek Kolstad (the creator of John Wick) is fun and wild. I loved that we see get to see Van Damme's replacement in the Bloodsport franchse, Daniel Bernhardt and the star of the Kickboxer remake franchise, Alain Moussi in a scene together and the fact we see 85-year old Christopher Lloyd having a blast as Odenkirk's dad...figuratively and literally. Also love with what could be a reference to the Airplane franchise involving Odenkirk. 

Van Der Merwe (2017): Since seeing the trailer, I have been long waiting to see the film and I finally did and I am so glad I did. This is a hilarious film about South African farmer Van, who must choose between his daughter's impending marriage to an Englishman and his father, who as a Boer, has a complete hatred for Englishmen. The humor is the old school brand that I miss with loads of literal sayings like in Airplane and funny sarcasm. Rob van Vuuren, as the lead character, is hysterical in this. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 6

House by the Cemetery (1981) - Another Italian horror film by Lucio Fulci, this one being a bizarre (even by Italian movie standards) mix of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Picture in the House" and The Shining. The Mad Scientist and Supernatural elements sit uneasily next to each other, and the film doesn't ask you to meet it halfway: it takes the first step and asks you to make the rest of the journey by yourself. It looks good and gorehounds will be pleased, but you'll most likely be scratching your head by the end.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Barfly – 1987 – Underrated movie based on a story by the late famous German – American writer & poet Charles Bukowski. A semi biographical story inspired by his life living in Hollywood during the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. The former postman published over sixty books, from novels and poems to short stories. Barfly features his fictional alter-ego Henry Chinaski. Bukowski’s close friend Sean Penn was the original choice to play the lead, with Penn demanding Dennis Hopper direct.

The clever & edgy screenplay was written way back in 1979, and it took eight years before it reached movie screens. With Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler, The Pope of Greenwich Village) appearing in the lead role, and Barbet Schroeder (Single White Female) on board as director. Actress Faye Dunaway (Bonnie & Clyde) as Rourkes co-star, is on top form here. Playing Wanda Wilcox, the tough hard drinking lady of Chinaski’s affections. Special mention goes to Roberta Bassin as the well-spoken educated book publisher Lilly.

This movie really captures the environment, people and society in which Charles Bukowski’s writing was inspired. A working-class writer, whose work is probably more highly regarded now, than when he was alive-?. All the Los Angeles bars featured in the film, were genuine. There’s, no sound stages, sets or computerized backdrops. In the scene where Chinaski becomes enchanted by Wanda. Look out for real Charles Bukowski sitting at the bar. As Mickey Rourke approaches Faye Dunaways character. Charles can be seen with a beer looking at Rouke’s as he walks by.

Another authentic touch, is the use of the actual flats where Bukowski and his real-life girlfriend Jane Baker lived. Miss Baker was the inspiration behind the Wanda character. Sylvester Stallone’s brother Frank, appears as a local tough guy & bar man who likes to fight. Always butting heads with Chinaski, who tries his best to get drunk for free every night. He got the role at Mickey Rourke’s request, as the two were good friends. Frank had a successful career as a singer, who got a few bit parts in films.

There’s no real plot to follow, its just fly on the wall look at the writer’s life. Along with all the colourful and individual people who fill it up. When he’s not stalking dimly lit rough bars, he’s getting into fights where only the onlookers profit. In between all this, he writing poetry down on scrap of paper, in a rundown hotel he calls home.

When he eventually comes into some money, he’s quick to spend it on the people closet, to him. Buying drinks for his friends, including the many homeless men who hang outside his favourite drinking haunt The Golden Horn. Chinalski isn’t supposed to be a likable character, but he’s not entirely rotten either. When he’s offered some cash from a fight, he politely refuses the bundle and takes only a few notes. Yet when he been beaten badly in a fight, know-one goes out of their way to help him up.

The low-key soundtrack was made up of existing classical music. With the main credits theme Hip-Hug-Her written by Booker T & The M.G’s, lifted from one of their late 60’s albums. Barfly is a must see for Mickey Rourke and Charles Bukowski fans, otherwise you might want to give this one a miss. When I first saw the film in my early teens, much of it went over my head. It wasn’t until I reached my mid-twenties, with more life experience. Did I really start to appreciate the movie and Charles Bukowski’s writing.

(Below)- Faye Dunaway, Charles Bukowski, & Mickey Rourke pose for a publcitiy still, in the Golden Horn.
https://i1.wp.com/bukowskiquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/barfly.jpg?fit=975%2C656&ssl=1

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 6

Super Ninja
23 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Barfly – 1987 – Underrated movie based on a story by the late famous German – American writer & poet Charles Bukowski. A semi biographical story inspired by his life living in Hollywood during the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. The former postman published over sixty books, from novels and poems to short stories. Barfly features his fictional alter-ego Henry Chinaski. Bukowski’s close friend Sean Penn was the original choice to play the lead, with Penn demanding Dennis Hopper direct.

The clever & edgy screenplay was written way back in 1979, and it took eight years before it reached movie screens. With Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler, The Pope of Greenwich Village) appearing in the lead role, and Barbet Schroeder (Single White Female) on board as director. Actress Faye Dunaway (Bonnie & Clyde) as Rourkes co-star, is on top form here. Playing Wanda Wilcox, the tough hard drinking lady of Chinaski’s affections. Special mention goes to Roberta Bassin as the well-spoken educated book publisher Lilly.

This movie really captures the environment, people and society in which Charles Bukowski’s writing was inspired. A working-class writer, whose work is probably more highly regarded now, than when he was alive-?. All the Los Angeles bars featured in the film, were genuine. There’s, no sound stages, sets or computerized backdrops. In the scene where Chinaski becomes enchanted by Wanda. Look out for real Charles Bukowski sitting at the bar. As Mickey Rourke approaches Faye Dunaways character. Charles can be seen with a beer looking at Rouke’s as he walks by.

Another authentic touch, is the use of the actual flats where Bukowski and his real-life girlfriend Jane Baker lived. Miss Baker was the inspiration behind the Wanda character. Sylvester Stallone’s brother Frank, appears as a local tough guy & bar man who likes to fight. Always butting heads with Chinaski, who tries his best to get drunk for free every night. He got the role at Mickey Rourke’s request, as the two were good friends. Frank had a successful career as a singer, who got a few bit parts in films.
There’s no real plot to follow, its just fly on the wall look at the writer’s life. Along with all the colourful and individual people who fill it up. When he’s not stalking dimly lit rough bars, he’s getting into fights where only the onlookers profit. In between all this, he writing poetry down on scrap of paper, in a rundown hotel he calls home.

When he eventually comes into some money, he’s quick to spend it on the people closet, to him. Buying drinks for his friends, including the many homeless men who hang outside his favourite drinking haunt The Golden Horn. Chinalski isn’t supposed to be a likable character, but he’s not entirely rotten either. When he’s offered some cash from a fight, he politely refuses the bundle and takes only a few notes. Yet when he been beaten badly in a fight, know-one goes out of their way to help him up.

The low-key soundtrack was made up of existing classical music. With the main credits theme Hip-Hug-Her written by Booker T & The M.G’s, lifted from one of their late 60’s albums. Barfly is a must see for Mickey Rourke and Charles Bukowski fans, otherwise you might want to give this one a miss. When I first saw the film in my early teens, much of it went over my head. It wasn’t until I reached my mid-twenties, with more life experience. Did I really start to appreciate the movie and Charles Bukowski’s writing.

(Below)- Faye Dunaway, Charles Bukowski, & Mickey Rourke pose for a publcitiy still, in the Golden Horn.
https://i1.wp.com/bukowskiquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/barfly.jpg?fit=975%2C656&ssl=1

Good movie. I'll never forget the sight of Bukowski using his scarf to drink because his hand is shaking too much. Pro level drinker.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) - Another weak action movie from Netflix. It's a shame because the cast is stacked with phenomenal talent (Angela Bassett, Lena Headey, Karen Gillan, Michelle Yeoh and Carla Gugino) but they're just given very little to work with. Every character is boring, the action set pieces are drab and while there are moments of creativity, it just isn't enough. I didn't care for this one at all.

• Like 3

Super Ninja

The Purge Anarchy (2014) - First Purge for me. I started off with the sequel as the original seemed like a classic home invasion movie. I was in it for the purging so part 2 seemed like a better choice. Turned out to be pretty standard fare with Grillo as a bonus, I didn't really feel the need to watch the original or any of the other sequels afterwards. I really like the idea and while I wouldn't say it was left underdeveloped, the key to making a good Purge movie is in striking the right balance between the plot and cramming as much violence as you can. It needs to be smart but also bloody and dirty. Anarchy was but not enough.

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998) - For some reason I somehow skipped this sequel. It is kinda dumb but I wanted me a 90's slasher and Still was almost everything I needed it to be. More boobs (any at all that is) and more blood would've been even better, I'd trade Jack Black as the coming relief pot head with dreadlocks for a few more kills.

Wrong Turn (2003) - Now if you wanna make a backwoods slasher (my favorite kind) with inbred deformed killers, this is how you do it. WT is dirty, disgusting and damn near bloody enough. Doesn't have the most imaginative kills but there's real tension in the air. Well shot, acted and genuinely unpleasant, Wrong Turn left me considering watching a sequel, that's how good it was. Realizing I'm not sentenced to constantly rewatching The Burning and Just Before Dawn when I'm in the mood for more backwoods slashing earns it an extra point.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Super Ninja said:

The Purge Anarchy (2014) - First Purge for me. I started off with the sequel as the original seemed like a classic home invasion movie. I was in it for the purging so part 2 seemed like a better choice. Turned out to be pretty standard fare with Grillo as a bonus, I didn't really feel the need to watch the original or any of the other sequels afterwards. I really like the idea and while I wouldn't say it was left underdeveloped, the key to making a good Purge movie is in striking the right balance between the plot and cramming as much violence as you can. It needs to be smart but also bloody and dirty. Anarchy was but not enough.

I really enjoyed the first movie(The rest, not so much). I found the villains fun( Especially the Leader of the Masked gang, who was hamming it up like Porky Pig), and it had some pretty good action scenes. If you can find it cheap(I got my copy for $5) I would give it a shot. The rest of the series was alright, but I didn't take with those like I did with the first. 

• Like 3

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Good movie. I'll never forget the sight of Bukowski using his scarf to drink because his hand is shaking too much. Pro level drinker.

It's one of the locals that uses that technique, which must have been inspred by someone that Charles Bukokski knew?.

• Like 2

Super Ninja
13 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

It's one of the locals that uses that technique, which must have been inspred by someone that Charles Bukokski knew?.

Just watched the clip up on YT to make sure, you're right @DragonClaws and my memory failed me yet once again. As for the technique, that was my opinion as well, Bukowski probably heard it from and experienced drinker.

20 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I really enjoyed the first movie(The rest, not so much). I found the villains fun( Especially the Leader of the Masked gang, who was hamming it up like Porky Pig), and it had some pretty good action scenes. If you can find it cheap(I got my copy for $5) I would give it a shot. The rest of the series was alright, but I didn't take with those like I did with the first. 

You got me interested in the original now @DarthKato.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

You got me interested in the original now @DarthKato.

Cool! When you watch it, tell what you think about it, 

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

Pig (2021: Michael Sarnoski): 

I love going to the theater.  I do my best to try to see a film unencumbered by trailers, word-of-mouth etc...  I heard some compliments on Twitter on this, but not much else (I did not even see the trailer yet). 

This film is certainly mixed in quality. I do like Nicolas Cage here (he does allow himself at least one fit, which is characteristic, hey I’m throwing a fit in National Treasure: Book of Secrets). He is understated, sure, depressed and well himself (no vampire though). 

However, there is one glaring deficiency which annoyed me.  The cinematography was like the gave they camera to a coffee addict after six espressos and nine packets of sugar.  It was jumping around with everything.  Film is a visual art.  Here we have first full-length director attempt at being the auteur (he is the writer as well).  The visual direction was horrid while I liked the writing. I just hope the director learns from this. 

The storyline had me worried early that this was going to be a John Wick chef in search of his stolen pig (though you felt as if the writer had thought of John Wick while writing this).  Still, the biggest badass Chef is Steven Seagal in Under Siege.  Instead, it had moments of Ikiru monomania.  Unfortunately, while it dips into upscale dining, it does not dig into it as much as I hoped. But Cage was this interesting unstoppable force in his own way as with one "friend" (Alex Wolff) he searches for the pig. There are some good scenes: Cage talking to a chef about what he really wanted to do – reminding one of a similar scene in Fight Club (heck the underground “fight” aspect reminded one of Fight Club) and Cage ultimately getting the respect of his “nemesis” was interesting as well. 

So, I am still not sure if I’m giving this a **½/**** or ***/**** rating.  It has several good dialog scenes, but the direction is weak. Many of the scenes played too dark, but that might have been the fault of the lighting.  The handheld is horrible. The acting is good from Cage and varies with the rest of the cast. I do not think this is necessary to see in the theater.  The plot is interesting and written well enough (the ending is appropriate), even if it sometimes seemed a bit silly. 

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

Power of the Daleks (6 Parts)

Danger Man (1 hr eps)

The Avengers (Mrs Peel eps)

Gambling for Head

Killers Moon

The Helicopter Spies

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Mr InBetween. Dark Australian comedy about a thug, collector and hit man reminiscent of Dexter, etc. Nice to his kids, civil to his ex as he can be and a complete double life with his new girlfriend (who is, let's get real, WAY to pretty for him) and absolutely brutal to his enemies, yet at times, surprisingly merciful. I don't want to spoil anything, and if you are in the USA you will most likely have to pirate it, cough, cough. Highly recommended. Also, each episode is less than 30 minutes, so it rarely is stale. Only two seasons, so you'll burn through it in a few evenings, sadly. Most likely going to be renewed though! 

I just recently started watching this on Hulu, and went through all 3 seasons pretty quickly. I loved the show and all the characters in it. I wish there was going to be at least a few more seasons, but it's done sadly. Highly recommended.

• Like 3

@nectarsis Indian summer looks interesting, it is like the big chill I guess but I didn't like that film, very boring. But I'm big for nostalgia and I take it this movie is for a big part about that.

Haven't seen meatballs in years but seeing that poster with the pretty women makes me want to see it again asap lol

• Like 3

DragonClaws

The Terminator - (1984) – James Cameron’s dark Sci-Fi themed chase movie, still delivers a fast paced and suspenseful hour and thirty minutes. Filled with striking visuals, and a classic soundtrack that adds to the unsettling atmosphere. Killer robots have always been a big feature in Hollywood movies dating back to the 1950s. Just take a luck at Yul Brynner as the cold killer cyborg in Westworld(1973), as one prime example. However, nobody had seen anything quite like James Cameron’s take on the genre. It’s been copied so much in the passing years, it has lost a some of its originality.

Yet, there hasn’t been another production like it. The sequel is one of the greatest action films of all time. But I personally prefer the first movie. With former Mr Olympia Arnold Schwarzenegger as the emotionless villain rather than the hero. Though that debate is a whole other topic for another time. Schwarzenegger auditioned for the part of Reese, which would later go to young Stage/T.V actor Michael Biehn. When Schwarzenegger turned up to audition for the Reese role, he said he was actually more interested in playing the unstoppable cyborg from the future.

James Cameron agreed to make some character changes, and re-cast some of the key roles. The whole story was inspired by a fever dream Cameron had, while holed up in an Italian Hotel on his own. He wanted The Terminator to be more inconspicuous and less obvious. Similar to how Robert Patrick portrayed the villain in the 1991 sequel. A person who could blend easily into a crowd, without being easy to spot. Inconspicuous being a word you wouldn’t use to describe. A six foot plus square jawed former Austrian bodybuilder wearing 80’s Punk clothes and carrying an Uzi 9mm. With a pair of shoulders wider than the front of a Buick truck.

Linda Hamilton was cast perfectly, as the friendly hard-working waitress Sarah Connor. Who slowly becomes a full blown cyborg slaying saviour of humanity. Miss Hamilton has some good chemistry with co-star, and her on-screen protector Reese played by Michael Biehn. Spoilers ahead- You would not describe this movie, as a love story. Yet the romance between the two main characters, is really at the centre of this action-packed horror-tinged actioner. It’s Reese’s love for Sarah, that drove him to travel back in time to try and save her.

Real acid was poured on Arnold Schwarzenegger’s jacket in the movie. In order to make it appear like his character was actually smouldering at times. For another smokey special effects shot, a less dangerous idea was implemented. One of the FX crew members, used his cigarette smoke to give the impression some machinery was emitting smoke. By just standing off shot, and blowing the smoke towards the prop.

Anyone who doubts Arnold Schwarzenegger acting talents, should watch his performance here. It’s hard to imagine anyone else playing his part. James Cameron once said in an interview, that Arnold took physical direction better than any other actor he’s worked with. He projects a real menace, and robotic physicality. Without it looking too obvious or laughable, it’s the small subtle touches he adds to his movements that really make it work. The scene in the Tech Noir nightclub, is a great example of this.

Schwarzenegger, underwent extensive gun training for the role. To the point where he could operate all the guns in the film, while blind folded. Athletic actor Michael Biehn, not to be outdone looks more-nimble than a ninja on a bouncy castle. When Reese intercepts his foe, in the nightclub shootout. Linda Hamilton was also tough enough to handle the physically demanding shoot. Most of the film was shot at night, not as a creative choice but to save money. The local Los Angeles authorities demanded less money to use their streets at night, than during the day.

No Terminator ramble would be complete, without mentioning the superior special effects work of the late Stan Winston. In this area, this 1984 movie was truly groundbreaking. James Cameron also had a hand in the now classic design of the unstoppable robot. The film was one of the last to feature stop motion animation, originally created by Special Effects icon Ray Harryhausen in the late 1940’s. You can’t point all the credit for this film’s success on one person. However, Stan Winston played a huge creative part in its unique look.

The Terminator is a well-paced film, that helped raise the quality of action cinema to come. A film that’s imagery has become a part of the fabric of pop culture today. Look out for Arnold Schwarzeneggers old training partner and former Mr Olympia, the late Franco Columbo. Who plays a Terminator, during one of the film futuristic sequences. Columbo was hired by Sylvester Stallone to get him into shape for Rocky 3(1983) and Rambo 2(1985). The latter which James Cameron co-wrote.
(Below) - Arnold Schwarzenegger blocking out/rehearsing a scene from the film.

May be an image of 1 person and standing
Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Super Ninja
5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The Terminator - (1984) – James Cameron’s dark Sci-Fi themed chase movie, still delivers a fast paced and suspenseful hour and thirty minutes. Filled with striking visuals, and a classic soundtrack that adds to the unsettling atmosphere. Killer robots have always been a big feature in Hollywood movies dating back to the 1950s. Just take a luck at Yul Brynner as cold killer cyborg in Westworld(1973), as one prime example. However, nobody had seen anything quite like James Cameron’s take on the genre. It’s been copied so much in the passing years, it has lost a some of its originality.

Yet, there hasn’t been another production like it. The sequel is one of the greatest action films of all time. But I personally prefer the first movie. With former Mr Olympia Arnold Schwarzenegger as the emotionless villain rather than the hero. Though that debate is a whole other topic for another time. Schwarzenegger auditioned for the part of Reese, which would later go to young Stage/T.V actor Michael Biehn. When Schwarzenegger turned up to audition for the Reese role, he said he was actually more interested in playing the unstoppable cyborg from the future.

James Cameron agreed to make some character changes, and re-cast some of the key roles. The whole story was inspired by a fever dream Cameron had, while holed up in an Italian Hotel on his own. He wanted The Terminator to be more inconspicuous and less obvious. Similar to how Robert Patrick portrayed the villain in the 1991 sequel. A person who could blend easily into a crowd, without being easy to spot. Inconspicuous being a word you wouldn’t use to describe. A six foot plus square jawed former Austrian bodybuilder wearing 80’s Punk clothes and carrying an Uzi 9mm. With a pair of shoulders wider than the front of a Buick truck.

Linda Hamilton was cast perfectly, as the friendly hard-working waitress Sarah Connor. Who slowly becomes a full blown cyborg slaying saviour of humanity. Miss Hamilton has some good chemistry with co-star, and her on-screen protector Reese played by Michael Biehn. Spoilers ahead- You would not describe this movie, as a love story. Yet the romance between the two main characters, is really at the centre of this action-packed horror-tinged actioner. It’s Reese’s love for Sarah, that drove him to travel back in time to try and save her.

Real acid was poured on Arnold Schwarzenegger’s jacket in the movie. In order to make it appear like his character was actually smouldering at times. For another smokey special effects shot, a less dangerous idea was implemented. One of the FX crew members, used his cigarette smoke to give the impression some machinery was emitting smoke. By just standing off shot, and blowing the smoke towards the prop.

Anyone who doubts Arnold Schwarzenegger acting talents, should watch his performance here. It’s hard to imagine anyone else playing his part. James Cameron once said in an interview, that Arnold took physical direction better than any other actor he’s worked with. He projects a real menace, and robotic physicality. Without it looking too obvious or laughable, it’s the small subtle touches he adds to his movements that really make it work. The scene in the Tech Noir nightclub, is a great example of this.

Schwarzenegger, underwent extensive gun training for the role. To the point where he could operate all the guns in the film, while blind folded. Athletic actor Michael Biehn, not to be outdone looks more-nimble than a ninja on a bouncy castle. When Reese intercepts his foe, in the nightclub shootout. Linda Hamilton was also tough enough to handle the physically demanding shoot. Most of the film was shot at night, not as a creative choice but to save money. The local Los Angeles authorities demanded less money to use their streets at night, than during the day.

No Terminator ramble would be complete, without mentioning the superior special effects work of the late Stan Winston. In this area, this 1984 movie was truly groundbreaking. James Cameron also had a hand in the now classic design of the unstoppable robot. The film was one of the last to feature stop motion animation, originally created by Special Effects icon Ray Harryhausen in the late 1940’s. You can’t point all the credit for this film’s success on one person. However, Stan Winston played a huge creative part in its unique look.

The Terminator is a well-paced film, that helped raise the quality of action cinema to come. A film that’s imagery has become a part of the fabric of pop culture today. Look out for Arnold Schwarzeneggers old training partner and former Mr Olympia, the late Franco Columbo. Who plays a Terminator, during one of the film futuristic sequences. Columbo was hired by Sylvester Stallone to get him into shape for Rocky 3(1983) and Rambo 2(1985). The latter which James Cameron co-wrote.

May be an image of 1 person and standing

Precious tidbits @DragonClaws! Didn't know about Columbo and Harryhausen being involved with the production, btw that dox on Harryhausen is sweet.

As for killer bots how about Chopping Mall? 

• Like 2

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Didn't know about Columbo and Harryhausen being involved with the production,

He wasn't invovled in the production, sorry if I gave you that impression. I just wanted to point out that he created the stock motion special effects technique. That was used in the finale of the film.

9 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

As for killer bots how about Chopping Mall? 

Yet to view that one @Super Ninja.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, DragonClaws said:

Zulu - (1964) – An epic adventure of courage in the face of incredible odds. Based on a true story it’s tells the amazing tale of 100 British, Welsh, Irish soldiers and handful of Colonial, volunteers. Who stood fast against an overwhelming force of 4,000 of the Zulu Nations mightiest warriors in the defence of Rorke's Drift in 1879 – Paramount Synopsis.

The word classic gets used a lot these days, but it truly applies to the first movie from Welsh born actor Stanley Bakers Diamond Films Company. Baker wanted more control over his movies, and there a strong personal connection to this story. There was a big presence of Welsh soldiers among the real Rorke's Drift garrison. This is also reflected in the casting of many Welsh actors in this 1960's production.

Eleven Victoria Crosses were awarded to some of the troops who stood their ground in Africa. The most ever awarded for a single battle?. I’m currently reading a great book by Michael Ashcroft - Victoria Cross Heroes, a complete list of every soldier who ever received the famous award for outstanding bravery. Only a few pages into this publication, and already two of the stories involve Rorkes Drift. I was lucky enough to be able to handle some items from this well known battle, at a Military convention. Including a a helmet worn by one of the Rorke's Drift soldiers.

It was the movie that put a young Michael Caine on the international movie map. He originally auditioned for the part of Hook, played superbly by James Booth. Instead, Caine was later cast as Lt Goneville Bromhead. Tugela River in South Africa, was the location used for Rorkes drift in the film. The actual battle took place 60km Northwest of this place. On the Buffalo-river near the remote hill of Isandhwana.

There’s a great sense of tension and impending doom throughout the picture. That slowly builds as the battle approaches. Especially as the Zulu army starts to implement its war chants and shield drumming. All thanks to Cy Endfields top direction. Both sides are given equal respect, in the way there represented on-screen. This isn’t a movie about showing one nation being superior to another. Both armies showed great courage and military tactics in their own right.

The Zulu forces often used a Buffalo like formation, to envelope and attack their enemies. It was the tight Military Square tactic, that helped the British army hold their own and not be entirely overpowered. It was an idea taken from the Romans, and may have been used by even older empires?.

Joining Baker and Caine are some top tier performers. Ulla Jacobsson, Nigel Green, Neil McCarthy, Jack Hawkins, Kerry Jordan. Not forgetting playwright Samuel Beckett’s favorite actor Patrick McGee. Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi, come from a long line of Zulu warriors and Royalty. He played his Great Grandfather here, who was involved in the actual military battle. He was persuaded to play the part by top American director Cy Enfield.

The screen combat looks a little theatrical and stilted now, but it was groundbreaking for 1964. With a more gritty and realistic portrayal to warfare, than previous similar movies. There’s no denying the cast and crew gave it there all for the big battle sequence. The Zulu warriors created their own authentic costumes. With the British Military costumes made in London and shipped over to Africa.

There’s a big emphasis on the use of song and sound to intimidate the enemy. The Zulus create a strange train like rhythmic sound, that gets louder as they approach. While the British army soldiers sing to psych themselves up for the fight and block this chant out. Welsh singer Ivor Emmanuel’s talents were really made use of for this. 2nd unit director Bert Batt said, the location they used had some fantastic natural acoustics. Due to the surrounding mountains and hills.

“They got a good bass section, but no top tenor’s that’s for sure” PVT Owen (Ivor Emmanuel)

From Welsh actor Richard Burton’s opening monologue, to the closing credits. The story grips you and never let’s go. It’s an authentic film version of real events, with a little artistic license here and there. The bull stampede that-producers staged never actually occurred in the actual battle itself. Last but not least, John Barry’s (James Bond) excellent rousing score. Is up there with the best movie soundtracks of all time. Just another reason for vintage cinephiles to give this one a chance.

Lt Goneville Bromhead(Michael Caine) - Holds his ground, while facing a brave Zulu warrior.
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2014/01/18/20/p28zulu1REX.jpg?width=1200

Did you ever watch the 80s mini-series Shaka Zulu? I remember it aired on local TV and quite enjoyed it. Shaka was portrayed as a vain and ruthless leader who during his later years thought dying his graying hair black was a real fountain of youth.

• Like 2