What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Super Ninja

Career Opportunities (1991) - I was so glad to realize I still haven't seen all of the John Hughes films, scripted or directed. CO didn't do too well and it's definitely not his finest moment but Jennifer Connelly.. OMG!

I think I'll have to watch it again because I couldn't follow the plot or anything, I was just staring at Connelly thinking how can this woman be so damn beautiful. It's over now, no woman will ever be good enough in my eyes.

Some Girls (1988) - My unhealthy fascination with the young Jennifer Connelly continues. This is not what I'd expect from an 80's coming-of-age movie so I can't say I've enjoyed it. It's pretty much about Patrick Dempsey trying to get it on with the young Jennifer Connelly. Watching him being that many times so close to getting laid and not getting lucky in the end hurt even me. Realizing his chances to hook up with her are as non-existing as mine was devastating.

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 4

Cognoscente

I like Jennifer a lot. She was an upscale Phoebe Cates. It's bizarre that Jennifer had been in three films where she stood at the end of a pier - Dark City, Requiem for a Dream and House of Sand and Fog.

• Like 3

Super Ninja
54 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

I like Jennifer a lot. She was an upscale Phoebe Cates. It's bizarre that Jennifer had been in three films where she stood at the end of a pier - Dark City, Requiem for a Dream and House of Sand and Fog.

Haven't seen House of Sand and Fog but I'll probably watch everything with Jennifer I can find and haven't seen yet for the next few days.

Few can match her beauty, from the top of my head, Dennise Richards in Wild Things or even Tammy and the T-Rex, Amber Heard Never Back Down version, Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct or Megan Fox in Transformers. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Some Girls (1988)  Watching him being that many times so close to getting laid and not getting lucky in the end hurt even me. Realizing his chances to hook up with her are as non-existing as mine was devastating.

Sounds right up my alley, so the movie has a downer ending? I immediately think about another teen movie “ the last american virgin”.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Caught these recently.

- Sssssss(1973)

- The Devonsville Terror(1983)

- Local Hero(1988)

- Blood Diner(1987)

- Blood Crime(2002)

- Jigsaw(2002)

- Dredd(2012)

• Like 1

Super Ninja
On 6/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, WangYu said:

Sounds right up my alley, so the movie has a downer ending? I immediately think about another teen movie “ the last american virgin”.

The whole movie was a downer, at least to me. The Last American Virgin is one of my favorite coming-of-age movies, Some Girls is nowhere near. It's kinda strange, has classical music and seems to be inspired by Botticelli's Three Graces, hence the three sisters with Jennifer being one of them, the prettiest of course.

On 6/25/2021 at 7:41 PM, Cognoscente said:

That reminds me of a film called Lemon Popsicle.

The Last American Virgin is the remake of Lemon Popsicle, same director. Boaz Davidson shot it while still in Israel. I prefer the US remake. Think the original has 7or 8 sequels.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

The whole movie was a downer, at least to me. The Last American Virgin is one of my favorite coming-of-age movies, Some Girls is nowhere near. It's kinda strange, has classical music and seems to be inspired by Botticelli's Three Graces, hence the three sisters with Jennifer being one of them, the prettiest of course.

The Last American Virgin is the remake of Lemon Popsicle, same director. Boaz Davidson shot it while still in Israel. I prefer the US remake. Think the original has 7or 8 sequels.

I need to track down both “Lemon Popsicle” and “some girls”. 
“the last american virgin” is great, I love it. Beats all the other 80s sex comedies/dramas.

• Like 3

Watched a few episodes of "Anne with an 'E'" with my wife and daughter the other evening.

I also watched the Netflix series of "Ultraman".

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Recently viewed the Alfonso Cuaron directed Gravity(2013), with a knock out performance from Sandra Bollock. Who holds the entire film together, were her portrayal of tough lone astronaut Ryan Stone. A unique movie, and one of the best Hollywood productions I've seen in years. Some great tension and use of CGI throughout this nail biting surival story.

Also re-watched this one: Sing Street - (2016) - Decent Irish coming of age comedy drama set in the mid-80’s, directed by John Carney(Once). The film is based on Carney’s childhood and teenage years in Dublin during the mid-80's. Where the movie was shot on location. John Carney a wrote the screen play, based on a story by Simon Carbody. The story is about a young boy Conor(Ferdia Walsh-Peelo). Who forms a band to impress a girl he barely knows. Mysterious muse Raphina, is brought to life by actress Kelly Thornton(Life’s A Breeze).

It’s a heart-warming, touching and at times sad story. About a boy struggling with the slow separation of his parents. Who move him from his expensive private school, to a much rougher working class education. Where among the emotional turmoil he meets his talented future band mates. A rag tag bunch of misfits who each have a natural ability for music.

There’s was a solid and gifted cast of mostly unknown actors, hired for this Irish Film Board production. Things get off to a good start with Motorhead’s classic song Stay Clean, blasting over the opening credits. The soundtrack also features The Jam, The Cure, Duran Duran & Joe Jackson to list only a few. Music has always been a big driving force in all of John Carney’s movies.

“As Carney was finishing up Begin Again, he popped in to see music producer Kieran Lynch who owned a studio in Dublin’s The Factory, a collective community of film industry artists founded by Carney and director Kirsten Sheridan. “John [Carney] pitched the idea for Sing Street to me and a couple of other people in The Factory.”

Sing Street is an entertaining and undemanding hour and forty minutes. Film geeks should look out for the multiple Back to The Future(1987) references throughout. While a lot of the story centres around the highs and lows of growing up. There’s also a strong message about being able to openly express yourself. When one of the main characters Conor, comes up against the highly strict Catholic Priests who try to educate and tame him.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

DragonClaws

Recently re-watched this classic: Get Carter - (1971) - Few people have ever looked as cool, suave or sophisticated as Michael Caine did in Get Carter. A raw hard-edged British movie, that pulls no punches in its portrayal of 1970’s organized-crime. Caine plays sleazy London hitman Jack Carter, who goes against his boss’s orders. When he takes a trip up North to the hard tough streets of early 1970's Newcastle. To find out the real reasons behind his brother’s mysterious death.

Based on the book Jack Returns Home by Ted Lewis. Director Mike Hodges adapted the crime novel for the screen version. Changing the stories setting of Scunthorpe, for the much larger Newcastle. The film was inspired by the One-Armed Bandit Murder’s, that occurred in 1967 in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire. When Fruit Machine cash collector Angus Sibbet was found dead in his car. The right-hand man of Vince Landa, who’s country house is used as a prominent location throughout the movie.

Like a grit covered ice cream, Get Carter is pretty hard to lick. The movie might now look tame compared to more modern gangster films. Yet there are few films worthy of the word iconic, and this is one of them. The production was made at time when film censorship was much stricter. Yet Mike Hodges delivers uncompromising yarn, that oozes a stark violent, vicious and brooding atmosphere.

Roy Budd adds a truly unique and original soundtrack, that plays the backdrop to the sinister story. The cast is packed to the rafters with top British talent, Britt Ekland, Petra Markham, Byran Mosley, Dorothy White, Alun Armstrong, Geraldine Moffatt, Ian Hendry, Rosemarie Dunham. Not forgetting John Osbourne(Don’t Look Back in Anger), superb performance as seedy Newcastle gang boss Cyril Kinnear.

Among the cast was real life gangster John Bindon, who used to be connected to The Kray twins and The Richardsons. Caines hitman character, works for two London brothers who were inspired by the Kray brothers. John Bindon was also a friend of Princess Margaret and worked as a bodyguard for Led Zeppelin during their 1977 North American tour. Look out for him as a leery pump shotgun wielding thug for hire, during a dockland shootout.

Wolfgang Suschitzky outstanding cinematography captures all the pokey terrace houses, and old Victorian backstreets of 1970s Newcastle. Michael Caine delivers one of his best screen performances here. Exuding a tough coolness, as the hard-nosed professional killer. Only when Carters family become vulnerable, does he show any sign of human emotion. Caine does a fine job of projecting-the characters coldness on-screen. Get Carter is by means a feel-good movie, but if you enjoy 1970’s British cinema, it’s well worth watching.

Inside the brutal 'one-armed bandit murder' mystery that inspired gangster film Get Carter - (Article)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0238/0813/products/Get-Carter-1971-UK-Quad-Film-Poster.jpg?v=1575919387
Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

Spiral:From The Book Of Saw 1/5 - dire reboot

The Marksman 2.5/5 - Liam Neeson in another action role, not bad

The Ice Road 2/5- Neeson again, echoes of Wages Of Fear but pretty far fetched

Censor 2.5/5 - Getting very good reviews, just ok for me

Django 2.5/5- Famous spaghetti western with Franco Nero can't hand a candle to Eastwood's ones.

Conjuring:The Devil Made Me Do It 2/5- i like these movies in the main but this a tired entry.

Those That Wish Me Dead 2/5 - Angelina Jolie in action girl mode. passable.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark 5/5- all time great

• Like 2

Tropic thunder 2008

Star studded cast. Tom Cruise steals the show but the entire cast is great. 

evil dead 1981

a b movie in every sense of the word, can’t believe I once thought this was scary. Still decent of course, made with a lot of passion and love. The remake/reboot sequel in 1987 perfected the film

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Stallone should never have remade this.

Yeah, it is remarkable how he got his career back on track after the 2000s. That was a really poor run he did that decade.

• Like 3

The Blue Dahlia (1946)

Mainly to see this girl....

veronica-lake-this-gun-for-hire-1.png

• Like 4

DragonClaws
On 6/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, Cognoscente said:

Stallone should never have remade this.

Agreed, but I think its better than people give it credit for.

• Like 1

Shudders (Finland, 1965) [VoD] – 1.5/5
The very first Finnish nudie flick, according to the ad materials. A lonely fisherman sees three naked mermaids rising from the sea. Then he wanders around and wonders if it was just a dream. Boobs mostly from one actress, and some very brief full frontal. The narrator dresses it all in dull poetry. The Finnish censorship board showed some sense of humour when they classified this as nature documentary. The rating was General Audiences. Indeed, little excitement here for Finnish audiences used to seeing naked girls on silver screen at least since the early 50s (The Witch, 1952), and seas and lakes long before that.

vs1.jpg vs2.jpg

Deadlock (West Germany, 1970) [DCP] - 3/5
The past few years have seen a welcome trend of theatrical re-releases in Japan, so far focusing on classics such as Once Upon a Time in the West, Last Tango in Paris, Django, The Hitcher, Sorcerer, Streets of Fire, and the Bruce Lee films. But to give something like Deadlock, that even many genre cinema fans have never heard of, a nationwide theatrical run in 2021 is truly admirable. Reportedly loved by Alejandro Jodorowsky, this dream-like modern Spaghetti Western sets a coward mine worker Mario Adorf, young machine gun killer Marquard Bohm, and Lee Van Cleef type senior killer Anthony Dawson in one deserted town (only populated by Adorf and two mentally disturbed women) to fight over a suitcase full of money. Buddy/enemy bonding, sudden bursts of violence, an awesome score soundtrack by Can, mental insanity, nudity, a hundred shots of the camera pointing in the sun, some cinematically clumsy "how did that happen?" moments, and frankly a too compact setting with the guys running back and forth the same sand fields from start to finish. If it’s great, that’s up to debate, but it’s absolutely good and worth a watch.

Firecracker (Philippines, 1981) [VoD] – 2/5
Yellow haired warrior Jillian Kesner goes looking for missing little sister in the Philippines, uncovers gangsters smuggling drugs and running deadly martial arts tournaments. A score lifted from Shogun Assassin plays on repeat. Kesner loses her clothes and fights in the nude. She looks good and fights much better than most people in Cirio H. Santiago films. But the storyline is such a bag of cliché that I can’t even tell which of his own films he’s borrowing from (let’s see, saving the sister, that was in TNT Jackson… and in The Muthers… and in Wheels of Fire…and…). There’s a fair bit of Enter the Dragon here as well. Had I seen this on VHS back in the 80s, in a country with no abundance of good martial arts films in rental stores, it could have been a nice, exotic piece of action. But it doesn’t fare well anymore.

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (USA, 1993) [VoD] - 2.5/5
A pretty watchable entry, with amusing over-the-top scenes and a completely nonsensical storyline, though it has its boring parts as well. Viewed here was the R-rated version, which lacks some violence and removes almost all sex and nudity. 2/5 would probably suffice for this version, but I will round up the film rating on an assumption the unrated print is just that much better.

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

The Prisoner (McGoohan)

1984 (1956 version)

Journey through the Black Sun (Space 1999 Compilation Film)

Massacre Time (Fulci)

• Like 2

Super Ninja

The Prodigy (2019) - an enjoyable little chiller. To think it's really possible a serial killer could reincarnate so he could kill the one female victim that got away is scary but even more so the idea that a young kid could be a vessel for a full grown psychopath. Enough to make this horror a solidly disturbing experience.

The Conjuring 3 - IMO a pretty decent and a worthy successor, certainly better than part 2 which I don't remember at all. Sure there's more than enough exorcism movies out there but I can't remember I've ever seen one with the psychic and master satanist battling it out. For fans of strange and occult this should be an enjoyable ride.

Luca - For the first time it felt like Pixar had nothing to offer really. Yeah it's simple, nice and enjoyable but not on the usual Pixar level.

A Quiet Place 2 - another worthy sequel. It does feel a bit like it was made just because the original was so popular, but Krasinski made it to be more than that. Structure wise it's pretty standard stuff but the soundtrack, cinematography and direction made this sequel work. I have a feeling this one might get a rather lukewarm reception now but will find it's place in some YT video as one of the overlooked horrors some ten years from now. The opening is masterfully crafted.

• Like 2