What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Shoplifters of the World (2021): No, this is not a documentary or reality TV show about people who steal from stores. It is actually named after a song by The Smiths and revolves around five people in 1987 Denver who are shocked to learn that their favorite band, yes The Smiths, have broken up. Four spend the night partying while one goes to extremes and holds the rock radio station hostage, forcing the nighttime DJ to play The Smiths' songs all night as a proper send-off. It's like a meshing of a Richard Linklater film and "Airheads" with The Smiths front and center, even showing interview footage from the band. The director, Stephen Kijak, directed a documentary a few years ago on one of my favorite Japanese rock bands, We Are X (X Japan).

Blackstock Boneyard (2021): A "what if" horror film that begins with the real-life story of the 1915 execution of Thomas and Meeks Griffin, two prominent Black farmers in Blackstock, South Carolina, who were unjustly accused and executed for the murder of John Lewis. What if a century later, they were to come back to life and seek revenge on the descendants of those who put them in the electric chair as well as claim their land back? The death scenes are a mix of pretty bad CGI but good practical effects if that makes sense. The finale is a bit shocking because I didn't expect it to end the way it did, in a good way IMO.

• Like 3

The Way Back (2010)
A slow start but a road trip film like none other. Highly recommend.

The Last Blockbuster (2020)
Cool doc. Enjoyed it a lot. Those BB VHS are selling for $150+ on eBay. Ouch.

The Rookie (2002)
Can't believe I missed this one for almost 20 years. Solid stuff.

The Pianist (2002)
Another one I missed all these years. Powerful performance by Brody. A+

Empire of the Sun (1987)
A re-watch. Still a stunning film by Spielberg. I could revisit this one over and over.

• Like 5

I revisited childhood favorites this week

- Sheena 1984

Tanya Roberts plays sort of a female tarzan, boast a fantastic score and good work with real animals. Still a fun adventure film and for the little boys we were treated with a naked Tanya and that never gets old, back then the world was less prude, I was a happy young lad.

- Baby: secret of the lost legend 1985

Another fun family friendly adventure with some pretty cool dinosaur effects for its time and adorable young mischievous dinosaur. When one of its parents gets killed it is a heartbreaking moment and when the villain meets his end we were all scared, he deserved it though .

- Hearts & Armour 1983

Italian word and sorcery film and not as cheesy as the other ones, this is in fact miles better than most of them bar conan. Featuring Tanya Roberts again and other hot women, a nice and threatening doom electronic score and some really cool armor for both the villains as the heroes. Really love the fight scenes here, we are treated to a fist fight with knights in armor and nice scenery overall. Story is not very engaging but the film is a lot of fun. Ron Moss is in this, you know him from "the bold and the beautiful".

- Gymkata 1985

Directed by Robert Clouse of enter the dragon. Starring Kurt Thomas famous gymnast and Richard Norton. Norton is always good, could have been a big star imo. Film is batshit crazy with ninja's a deadly survival tournament and lots of fight scenes. The village of the lunatics is complete brilliance. I'm well aware that this is one of the so called worst films of all time, I love it.

- Dragonslayer 1981

Disney sword and sorcery film but make no mistake it is pretty scary (when it is not a fun adventure film) with incredible special effects and a very engaging story. The only weird thing is our hero is so damn bland. Love the film though, great production value and a film worthy of being called a classic.

- Crocodile Dundee 1986

Fun adventure comedy with a true classic teeny romance ending but it are not teens this time. I will never forget when Dundee peeps on Sue when she undresses only to get attacked by a big ass croc.

I still love all these films, the late 70s/80s had it all

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

The Dollars Trilogy

Once Upon a Time in The West

Blood Money

The Great Hunter (that was a real chore - good cast though)

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I finally sat down and watched Uncut Gems. What a movie! Over two hours of pure tension bolstered by fantastic performances. It also features one of the most surprising moments I’ve seen in any movie.

• Like 4

Watched "Aladdin(2019)" and it was pretty damn good. As a life-long fan of Aladdin( I have seen all the movies, the cartoon series, read some of the books, and played the video games) I was very pleased with this adaption. Most of the actors did a fantastic job(Will Smith especially did an amazing job as the Genie). The Only one I had somewhat a problem with was Jafar, as I found the actor wasn't really as imposing and evil(His voice wasn't nearly deep enough) as the animated movie version was. There was a few other minor things, like some of the writing, but otherwise this was a really good adaption. Still not as good as "Cinderella(2015)"(Which I find to be as near a perfect movie as you can get), but this was a solid, close second and one of the best so far of the Disney Live-Action adaptions(With "Beauty and the Beast(2017)" being the worse. Not because the film was exactly bad, but because they should never have cast Emma Watson in the role of Beauty. She was awful in that role and it killed an otherwise great adaption). 

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Gone in Sixty 60 Seconds -1974 – Undemanding no brainer action classic, directed, written, produced and financed by late stuntman H.B Halicki. Later re-made in 2000 starring Nicholas Cage & Angelina Jolie. A small group of expensive car thieves, get themselves unwillingly entangled in a heroin smuggling plot. When they are hired to steal forty-eight different cars for a local drug king pin.

The original is still the best, featuring the destruction of 93 vehicles over and hour and a half runtime.
It noted for having the longest car chase sequence ever filmed, clocking in at 40-minutes. The movie has an earthy, at times documentary like feel to it. With a funky up-beat 1970’s soundtrack that only adds to its charm. There was no official script, and the actors would often improvise their dialogue on the spot.

It’s an understatement to say H.B Halicki was an amazing driver. This man looked more at home on four wheels than he did on two feet. He could have parked a car on a bottle top, he was that good. This was only his second film as an actor, despite spending years working behind the scenes on various productions. He sadly passed away in 1989, while filming a stunt sequence for the un-finished sequel.

In the world of the big budget computer enhanced Fast & Furious franchise, it might look vintage now. But all the stunts are performed by real people, on real roads driving real cars. Just don’t expect any vehicles hopping from sky scrapers, or muscle cars outrunning giant submarines while driving on ice. The stunt team here risked their lives for the audience’s enjoyment.

If you love your classic cars, you just can’t go wrong with this one. One of the stars of the picture is Eleanor, a customized 1971 Mustang Sport Roof (Redressed as 1973). Among the many other multiple motors on displays, keep your eyes peeled for a 1969 Manta Mirage, 1967 Lamborghini Miura, and a 1972 Plymouth Barracuda.

The pace takes awhile to pick up, but its worth sticking with if you like high speed chases and action set pieces. With this production a setting the bar high for, Smokey & The Bandit(1977), Grand Theft Auto(1977), The Driver(1978), Mad Max(1979) and Cannon Ball Run(1981) . Things rev up a few gears for the finale, with some ruthless looking stunt work. This movie is a standing visual testament to all the unsung stuntmen and women of Hollywood.

(Below) Rocket Man - H.B Halikicki & Eleanor take to the sky in a scene from the movie.

https://www.classicdriver.com/sites/default/files/article_images/gone_in_60_seconds_01.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Cognoscente

I recently saw The House Bunny (starring Anna Faris, Emma Stone and Kat Dennings). Despite being a 2008 movie, it looks like the script is a '90s reject. Unlike Superbad (2007), this 2008 comedy doesn't reference MySpace or anything to do with the net. This English writer certainly thinks so: https://www.gmorris.co.uk/post/the-house-bunny-a-90s-script-locked-away-for-a-decade

• Like 2

Terms of endearment 1983

This is a great actor’s movie.
I believe the oscars should have decided upon a tie between Shirley Maclaine and Debra Winger.

They tried to make it a happy ending but it didn’t work anymore for me, the film turned me into a puddle of tears, nice try though.

• Like 3

Super Ninja
On 6/13/2021 at 11:49 PM, WangYu said:

- Gymkata 1985

Directed by Robert Clouse of enter the dragon. Starring Kurt Thomas famous gymnast and Richard Norton. Norton is always good, could have been a big star imo. Film is batshit crazy with ninja's a deadly survival tournament and lots of fight scenes. The village of the lunatics is complete brilliance. I'm well aware that this is one of the so called worst films of all time, I love it.

I fully agree!

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

European Vacation (1985: Amy Heckerling):

Or should I say rewatched for who knows how many times. A film I like scenes more than the whole. Does not compare to the first. I do like that Chevy has the Wally World shirt on.  

Love the England scenes. Eric Idle has a nice recurring bit. John Hughes connection (writer) with Chicago obviously being mentioned. And yet another connection to Ernest Cline with Ready Player Two (has a whole John Hughes section in the book). The interior and people of the first English hotel reminded me of Keeping Up Appearances. The children get even more on my nerves in this film. William Zabka appearance and he is not a bad guy. 

That roundabout scene always makes me laugh and reminds me too much of large roundabout issues I've had. Love them visiting the wrong family in Germany (though could have been written better). A lot of the film feels like that: could have been written better. 

Ça Plane Pour Moi" by Plastic Bertrand plays in the Louvre scene (great song). How is this not a reference to Bande à part? Obviously it is. Apparently The Dreamers (2003) did this too. 

• Like 4

Cognoscente
1 minute ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

William Zabka appearance and he is not a bad guy. 

I feel sorry for the guy. Maybe if he had been the one to play Andrew McCarthy's character in the Hughes-produced Pretty in Pink then he might have been able to turn things around for himself. Or better yet, he could have played the character that Eric Stoltz played in the self-inflicted PIP remake (Some Kind of Wonderful).

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
5 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I feel sorry for the guy. Maybe if he had been the one to play Andrew McCarthy's character in the Hughes-produced Pretty in Pink then he might have been able to turn things around for himself. Or better yet, he could have played the character that Eric Stoltz played in the self-inflicted PIP remake (Some Kind of Wonderful).

So many examples of what ifs: what if Steve McQueen played Dirty Harry (still hard to believe that Frank Sinatra was up for that role), what if Tom Selleck played in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

Frank Sinatra was a gangster so he had a tough streak in them. He wasn't quite the smooth crooner who would rather be a lover than a fighter.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
16 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

So many examples of what ifs: what if Steve McQueen played Dirty Harry (still hard to believe that Frank Sinatra was up for that role), what if Tom Selleck played in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Paul Newman and John Wayne were also offered the Dirty Harry role. Wayne turned it down because he thought it was too violent. He would later make his own cop movies in the form of McQ(1974) and Brannigan(1975) instead.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Frank Sinatra was a gangster so he had a tough streak in them. He wasn't quite the smooth crooner who would rather be a lover than a fighter.

Theres a reference to Frank Sinartra in The Godfather(1971).

• Like 2

Well since we changed the subject how about this one. Both Stallone and Richard Gere were considered for the Terminator before they settled with Schwarzenegger. 
If it was to be Stallone there would be no competition between the two in the 80s for biggest moviestar. The pendulum would swing in favor of Stallone hands down.

I’m glad Arnold won though, iconic performance.

• Like 4

Cognoscente

It's weird that Stallone and Gere were up for the role since they had a huge fall-out during the making of The Lords of Flatbush. I would have loved to have seen a version of The Terminator where Gere plays Kyle Reese up against a Stallone version of the T-101.

• Like 3

Bond, part 3

The Living Daylights (UK, 1987) [VoD] – 3.5/5
Solid cold war Bond with decent action and an excellent theme song. Dalton is not half bad, and Jeroen Krabbe is a lot of fun. There’s even slight nudity in the film! The only problem: the film is too bloody long at 131 min, and feels like two different movies patched together (and even if we were to accept that, there are still surplus scenes that shouldn’t have made the final cut).

Licence to Kill (UK, 1989) [BD] – 3.5/5
Bond goes splatter. The most violent film in the series, with cruelty that feels mismatched in the series. It’s is a captivating, effective action picture all the same. Lots of interesting names in the cast: Robert Davi, Benicio Del Toro, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa... plus Desmond Llewelyn getting his biggest role in the series.

Goldeneye (UK, 1995) [VoD] – 4/5
The last great Bond film for quite some time to come. This one captures the “just past the cold war” era better than almost any other action film. Brosnan is excellent as Bond, and the character well written as a dangerous, seductive and tragic relic of a bygone era.

Tomorrow Never Dies (UK, 1997) [VoD] – 2.5/5
Late 90s techno Bond with a still-timely theme (media manipulation and misinformation) and frankly not that bad a villain. Also, Teri Hatcher has a cute voice and Michelle Yeoh is some fun. But the rest is mediocre, from lame one-liners to uninspired action scenes and forgettable theme song.

The World is Not Enough (UK, 1999) [VoD] - 2/5
The most tiresome (though still tolerable) entry in the series, with decent actors like Carlyle wasted in instantly forgettable roles. The storyline is as bland as they come. The only thing popping out here is Denise Richards' boobs. Well, those and the ever reliable Coltrane and Dench. The theme song is bad, too.

Die Another Day (UK, 2002) [VoD] - 2.5/5
Brosnan's last Bond, utterly ridiculous and loaded with some of the worst CGI ever seen in a major film. But strangely enough, this is more watchable and entertaining than the previous film. The storyline at least has a bit of suspense to it, and the storytelling is not as shabby as in The World is Not Enough. Madonna's theme song is odd: I examined my speakers and internet connection before I realized it's supposed to sound like crap, with sound dropping off every few seconds. Must’ve been some teen thing.

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, nectarsis said:

watching now:

oh man...the "acting", the "special" effects...one of the worst I've watched in ages... and I'm LOVING it

So did Cameron Mitchell actually walk around and stand up in this one?

9 hours ago, nectarsis said:

another first time watch:

Oooh...a Brett Piper movie. Was there stop-motion in it? How was it?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DrNgor said:

So did Cameron Mitchell actually walk around and stand up in this one?

Oooh...a Brett Piper movie. Was there stop-motion in it? How was it?

oh yes...and so awful, added to the charm LOL

• Like 2

DragonClaws

“Life without freedom, is no life at all”- Poster Tagline

Braveheart -(1995)- Gorey, historical, romantic revenge tale, set in Medieval Scotland. Based loosely on real life events and characters. Mel Gibson plays the heart-broken and stoic freedom fight William Wallace. Who soon finds himself leading a revolt against the murderous English knights, who legally ruled Scotland during the 13th century. The many historical inaccuracies aside, this is a classic example of some epic movie making. With the touching romance and kinetic action blended superbly onscreen by director Mel Gibson.

A real passion project for Mel Gibson. Who originally turned down the part of William Wallace, claiming he felt he was too old for the role. He originally-wanted to cast a younger unknwon Irish stage, actor, who he had seen in a New York theatrical production. He puts on a decent performance, surrounded by an extensive and talented supporting cast. Featuring Brian Cox, Sophie Marceau, Patrick McGoohan, Jeannie Marine, James Cosmo, Alun Armstrong, Brendan Gleeson to name only a few.

Scottish actress Catherine McCormack is superb as Murron. Whos’ strong and brave character is the catalyst for the whole story/plot. That the plays the backdrop to some bloody and well executed battles. With fight coordinator’s Nick Powell & Bill Little delivering some of the most powerful and claret laden choreography ever executed on-screen. The film ran into some problems with the American film censors, who requested that Paramount Studios tone down the pictures violence.

Braveheart is a great movie, that still packs a big emotional punch. If this film doesn’t leave you with an emotional lump in your throat. You might want to check your pulse, to see if your still alive?. Randall Wallace’s strong and touching script, helps to gel the whole movie together. The soundtrack composed by James Horner(Commando), and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. Its one of the all-time best movie scores. It only enhances all the drama, romance and adventure this 90’s film has to offer.

I liked how Gibson didn’t portray the Scottish hero William Wallace, as just being a dumb violent meathead. But instead presented him as a cultured, well-educated man with morals and beliefs. Special mentions goes to costume designer Charles Knode(Blade Runner). Who did some really creative & detailed work on the many costumes used throughout the three hour run-time. Not forgetting the striking Celtic inspired blue war paint designs.

(Below) Highland Romance- Murron(Catherine McCormack) & William Wallace(Mel Gibson).
May be a black-and-white image of 2 people
  • Like 3