What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Alice Sweet Alice:   Brooke Shields movie debut with lots of twists and turns, bit openeded/plot holes that leave muchnto the imagination.... but VERY enjoyable.

Burnt Offerings:  One of the best movies of it's type, with a pretty stellar cast.

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

The Big Gundown (again!)

Miami Connection(Lol)

Mortal Kombat (the new one)

Team America World Police(lol)

Fatal Deviation(LMAO!)

God's Gun 

Furious Slaughter

Double Double Crosser

• Like 2

Just finished watching Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, and it was as bad as I figured it would be. But I’m done with these atrocities now, so I will try my best to forget the Sequels ever existed. 

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
47 minutes ago, DarthKato said:

Just finished watching Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, and it was as bad as I figured it would be. But I’m done with these atrocities now, so I will try my best to forget the Sequels ever existed. 

It has been a running joke with a friend of mine that I while I have been concentrating on sequels the past month, I keep pushing this one off (also because I hated The Last Jedi).  I really can't push myself to watch the third (and I have a DVD of it).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

It has been a running joke with a friend of mine that I while I have been concentrating on sequels the past month, I keep pushing this one off (also because I hated The Last Jedi).  I really can't push myself to watch the third (and I have a DVD of it).

If I was you, I would just keep pushing it off. Its just not worth suffering through. 

• Like 2

The Water Man - David Oyelowo (Selma, Gringo) makes his directorial debut in this story of a boy who along with a ragtag girl, search through the forests for the titular mythological figure in an attempt to cure his mother from leukemia. Lonnie Chavis and Amiah Miller really carry the film as the two youngsters while Oyelowo plays the boy's father, who at first doesn't seem to support him, but during the course of trying to find him, gives him a life lesson learned. 

Golden Arm - No, it's not a remake of the Kid with the Golden Arm :laugh. A complete underdog of a woman, with the help of her wild and crazy BFF, trains and enters the world of women's arm wrestling. It's basically a meshing of GLOW and Over the Top, with both leads Mary Holland and Besty Sodaro having funny chemistry as the BFFs (the climactic finale scene made my crack up because of the situation and reactions). 

Hollywood.CON - former child star Mika Boorem (Along Came a SpiderHearts in Atlantis) stars and makes her directorial debut on this quirky comedy about an aspiring actress who thanks to a case of mistaken identity finds herself producing an adventure show alongside her father, a TV adventurer. They must go to Guatemala and find some a rare jade. Meanwhile, someone working for the company is planning to sabotage the project to further his career. Boorem based the film on real-life experiences. Tom Arnold, Home Alone's Buzz himself (Devin Ratray), and Billy Bob Thornton appear in the film, the latter with his band The BoxmastersDid an interview with her and she was a blast to talk to!

Taking the Fall Turbo Kid's Munro Chambers pulls off an impressive emotional performance as Thomas, a man who is released from prison after a six-year stint for drug possession. All he wants is to just relax and get back on his feet. But when his best friend throws a dinner party for him, things soon get very chaotic for Thomas as loyalties are tested and bonds are inevitably set to be broken. 

Special-ish - a part documentary/part comedy special featuring stand up comic Jessica Watkins as she does the impossible: to get herself known out there on stage, she literally walked across the United States, going to different small venues, overcoming injuries and a past secret to trek from Delaware to California. 

Engaged in Vegas - a mockumentary on what was supposed to be an engagement video between couple Jen and Abe, but things unravel when Abe has a secret about something that happened at work and Jen receives a phone call that she refuses to disclose to Abe. Writer/director Abe Schwartz and Jennifer Daley really drive the film and are fun to watch even when they spiral downward. 

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Shin Godzilla - (2016)

Meatball Machine - (Japanese film made in the 1990's, but not released until 2005)

Warden of Red Rcock (2001)

I Drink Your Blood (1970)

Amityville Horror 2 & 3 (1982 & 1983)

Ghost Town (1988)

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

Bad Company (1972)

Coffy (1973)

The Wild Geese (1978)

Gregorys Girl (1981)

Bridges of Madison County (1995)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Meatball Machine - (Japanese film made in the 1990's, but not released until 2005)

Which film is that? I'm aware of three Meatball Machines: the original Meatball Machine (directed by Junichi Yamamoto) released theatrically in Japan in 1999, the remake (co-directed by Yudai Yamaguchi and Junichi Yamamoto) released theatrically in 2005, and the sequel Meatball Machine Kodoku (directed by Yoshihiro Nishimura) released theatrically in 2017.

• Like 2

Bond, part 2

Live and Let Die (UK, 1974) [VoD] – 3/5
A wonderfully odd blaxploitation adventure, with the very white Moore as its hero. The dialogue is some of the wittiest in the series, and the boat chase a definite highpoint. But it must be admitted this is a bit half-baked filmmaking at times, and tends to lose its grip between its best scenes.

The Man with the Golden Gun (UK, 1974) [VoD] – 3.5/5
Under-rated entry with a fantastic score and theme song, solid Hong Kong and Thai location work, and a pair of fighting school girls (for those who prefer grown-ups, there’s Maud Adams and Bitt Ekland). Christopher Lee makes one of the best Bond villains with his sheer charisma, even if the character itself is a bit of a small-timer among Bond baddies.

The Spy who Loved Me (UK, 1977) [VoD] -3.5/5
This is probably Moore's most competently made Bond, with just the right balance between humour and seriousness. Only if the villain wasn't one of the most forgettable one in the series, and the ending so obviously You Only Live Twice on sea.

Moonraker (UK, 1979) [VoD] – 3/5
A childhood favourite that hasn’t aged too well. There’s 90 minutes of goofy, childish gags mixed with some atmospheric and exhilarating moments before Bond goes to space. Surprisingly enough, that’s when it gets much better with solid space action, a superb Barry score and excellent special effects.

For Your Eyes Only (UK, 1981) [BD] – 4/5
This one has almost no storyline, but it’s so stacked full of insane action sequences you’ll forgive it. The ski and the car chases rank among the best ever filmed. Bill Conti’s score delivers big time, and there’s an excellent piece of supporting casting with Topol (less so with blond airhead Lynn-Holly Johnson). The more serious tone is welcome as well. Oh, and there are not one but two nipple slips!

Octopussy (UK, 1983) [VoD] – 3/5
A popular entry, but never been among my favourites. Opening and closing aside the action is forgettable, and the casting nothing special, even if Louis Jourdan’s acting is good. But it’s still an entertaining-enough film to just about deserve a 3 star rating. This film suffered the slightest form of censorship in the cold war era Finland: the line “the hero of the Soviet Union” was left unsubtitled.

A View to a Kill (UK, 1985) [VoD] – 3/5
Moore's last Bond: good but very uneven. There’s a solid second half once we get past the horse breeding nonsense. Lots of good action even if it’s a stunt double mug-shot galore (Moore is barely present in most action scenes). Walken and Jones make good villains, and there’s Dolph doing 30 seconds as a KGB man. Tanya Roberts in turn is completely useless, doesn't even manage a nipple slip. A tad under-rated overall.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, Takuma said:

the original Meatball Machine (directed by Junichi Yamamoto) released theatrically in Japan in 1999, the remake (co-directed by Yudai Yamaguchi and Junichi Yamamoto) released theatrically in 2005,

I think its the 1999 version, my friend owns the copy so I'd have to check with him to be certain. We were watching Shin Godzilla(2016), and this turned up in the post via Amazon, so we watched it afterwards.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

The Dead Zone

Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 (Arrgh!)

Above the Law (Lee Van Cleef -Poor)

Kid Vengeance (Arrgh!)

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Where Eskimos Live - (2002) - Serious, sad and touching independent British, Polish, American & German co-production. That deals with the illegal trafficking of young children in Europe. Starring Bob Hoskins as the cold -hearted Englishman Sharkey. Who sells children on the black market, while under the cover of working for UNICEF. Its grittier than a quarry rockface, and pulls no punches in its portrayal of war-torn Russia.

There's some stunning Bosnian and Polish countryside, that makes for beautiful and contrasting backdrop to the dark and at times violent story. Director Tomasz Wiszniewski co-wrote the movies script with the late Polish writer Robert Brutter. The pair give out a strong message about how the innocent victims of war, can be exploited by those in power.

Polish born actor Sergiuz Zymelka delivers a fine performance as Vlado, the young member of a street gang. Who Sharkey plans to smuggle out of the country, so he can sell him on for a high price to some faceless clients. It becomes a story of redemption, as the pair form and unlikely friendship. When they slowly have to rely on each other to survive their cold, dangerous and hostile surroundings.

Actor Krzsztof Majchrzak, deserves special mention as the crazed military officer, who wrongly blames Sharkey for the death of his daughter. There was a young Down syndrome actor among the cast, who deserves highlighting too. I was just unable to identify him?. One negative is there were no strong female parts or roles. The real focus of this story however, is on the many homeless, orphaned children who must survive extreme warzones. While this cannot be described as fun film, it touches upon subjects many movies don’t go near.

https://www.filmaboutit.com/data/shp/images/tQv1UgVp6xijEb7viLe3Yx7iQ5c_1.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Super Ninja

The Kid Brother (1927) - Easily one of my favorite silent movies. I won't say my favorite Harold Lloyd film because I've only seen two so far but this is silent era moviemaking at its best. Loved the script, how it's directed, how witty the gags are and admired just how much emotions the actors in these films were able to show just through physical expression. Perfect blend of comedy, drama, action and adventure, not so heavy on Lloyd's daredevil stunts though.

The Dark Tower (2017) - As a Stephen King fan who admittedly hasn't read the books from the successful Dark Tower series, I can't comment on how good of an adaptation this is. The movie itself felt like it had more depth underneath (some of the source material depth that can be felt somehow transferred to it) but just had too short of a runtime to explore it. McConaughey's wizard Walter looking like he's dressed to be on the cover of Vogue didn't help in taking it more seriously, though I did find some parts to be quite engaging and even touching. There's some interesting gunplay towards the end.

Miss Bala (2019) - Haven't seen the Mexican movie that inspired it but this so-called action thriller is very light on the action and not very thrilling. Don't expect another movie trying to ride the kickass females trend. Voted one of the best action movies of the year on rotten tomatoes, I failed to see why.

R.I.P.D. (2013) - Never even heard of this one till I found it on Netflix. Made by the director behind such reasonably fun and intriguing films as Red (2010) and Insurgent (2015), R.I.P.D. is as light and enjoyable as you'd want your Friday night movie to be. It took me some time to start liking it but this MIB meets True Grit(?) comic book adaptation turned out not to be a complete waste of time. Ryan Reynolds is his usual goofy self paired with hard boiled ex US Marshall Jeff Bridges while trying to hunt down deados on the streets of Boston. No need for much brain activity watching this one.

True Memoirs of an International Assassin (2016) - As my overtime increase my standards seem to be lowering and so watching Kevin James as a wannabe writer pretending to be a retired assassin now forced to kill Venezuelan president, Russian oligarch and the rebel army leader, now has the task of satisfying my lust for action. I've watched too many movies to find this action comedy funny. On the other hand any action is better than no action and the little there is here isn't entirely without its merits. It does look like James put some effort into trying to appear respectable in his role which made me remember being surprised with his performance in Here Comes the Boom (2012). So not bad but it will make you nostalgic about the times when watching US produced action comedies meant you're getting True Lies (1994).

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

Alex Ferguson - Never Give Up (Cinema last thursday)

The United Way (Sky tv today)

Both terrific...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Alex Ferguson - Never Give Up (Cinema last thursday)

The United Way (Sky tv today)

Both terrific...

SIR Alex Ferguson ;-)

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
13 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

The Kid Brother (1927) - Easily one of my favorite silent movies. I won't say my favorite Harold Lloyd film because I've only seen two so far but this is silent era moviemaking at its best. Loved the script, how it's directed, how witty the gags are and admired just how much emotions the actors in these films were able to show just through physical expression. Perfect blend of comedy, drama, action and adventure, not so heavy on Lloyd's daredevil stunts though.

Can I get you to watch these two shorts?

• Like 3

Super Ninja
12 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Can I get you to watch these two shorts?

You most certainly can @masterofoneinchpunch, I'll try to find a way to watch them this week and share my thoughts here. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I've been watching the excellent Mare of Easttown on HBO Max. It's a nice blend of murder mystery and character driven drama. Kate Winslet is stellar.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2021 at 5:34 PM, DragonClaws said:

The Charge of The Light Brigade - 1968 - Re-make of the classic 1936 movie of the same name, which starred Olivia de Havilland & Errol Flynn and was directed by Michael Curtiz. I enjoyed both films equally, but of the two I think the 1968 version is the best. It's grittier and takes an almost satire like look at the old British Military system. There's even some Mony Python inspired animated sequences, that mostly make up the opening credits.

Yorkshire born director Tony Richardson(Look Back in Anger) is the man on directing duties. By the time the production ended, it was the most expensive British movie of its time. I live in Yorkshire myself, and not too far from where the original Light Brigade were stationed. They had a big reputation for fighting and drinking in the local area. The only reason the pubs put it up with, is becuase they would spend most of there money in them.

The weapons and approaches to warfare were rapidly changing in the mid-18th century. In 1854 the famous British Light Brigade charged heavily defended Russian cannons, in the Battle of Balaklava during the Crimean War. A major Military blunder on a massive scale, the film is mostly set during the build up to this battle.

For year's I'd only seen the heavily edited versions, with some of dialogue/violence cut back so it could be screened on afternoon British T.V. It was great to finally see it with all the dialogue etc intact. There are rumours the film played in a longer cut, during its original theatrical runs?.

It's a classic of British cinema, and a film that really could only have been made in the late 1960's. The philosophy and attitude of the films style, is soaked in that cynical late 60's feeling. As the decade was coming to a close, and approaching the much colder and less sugar coated 1970's.

David Hemmings is perfectly cast as the brave young soldier Capt Lewis Nolan. Surrounded by a brilliant cast of supporting players, Venessa Redgrave, John Gielgud, Jill Bennet and Peter Bowles to name just a few. It's Trevor Howard who really stands out, as the fearless and eccentric Lord Cardigan. Not the most authentic portrayal of the Light Brigades final days, but still a finely made movie.

Beach landing, (Far left)Ben Harris and David Hemmings(centre) as Lt Maxse & Captain Lewis Nolan.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-elcO2Y6WzvQ/WIetbcDHfiI/AAAAAAAACx4/PkuSz7VI3WM7j_hvPpwYYMqohoTjLgDzwCLcB/s1600/kinopoisk.ru-The-Charge-of-the-Light-Brigade-2564664.jpg

Sorry for the big quote but I watched it after your mini review

I loved it especially once they landed at the beach. I laughed out loud at the scene where they march through the desert full of good spirits and in the next shot they're all falling from their horses in exhaustion. Let's not kid ourselves here, war is not a pleasant business! British war films in the 60s were basically anti war films, I like how they turned this film into a complete mockery at times. Battle scenes are great, how can they not be when you film a huge cavalry attack? Is there a more scary and intimidating attack (but also beautifully graceful) than a mass cavalry attack?

ps so dragonclaws you are from the same area as this light brigade. I love how you mention their notoriety almost 150 years later, they must have made an awful impression to have people still talking about it!

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 6/2/2021 at 3:27 PM, WangYu said:

Sorry for the big quote but I watched it after your mini review

I loved it especially once they landed at the beach. I laughed out loud at the scene where they march through the desert full of good spirits and in the next shot they're all falling from their horses in exhaustion. Let's not kid ourselves here, war is not a pleasant business! British war films in the 60s were basically anti war films, I like how they turned this film into a complete mockery at times. Battle scenes are great, how can they not be when you film a huge cavalry attack? Is there a more scary and intimidating attack (but also beautifully graceful) than a mass cavalry attack?

Glad you enjoyed it, also nice to hear you gave it a try based off my review, thanks @WangYu. The production encountered many major issues and problems, its amazing they even got it made at all.

On 6/2/2021 at 3:27 PM, WangYu said:

ps so dragonclaws you are from the same area as this light brigade. I love how you mention their notoriety almost 150 years later, they must have made an awful impression to have people still talking about it!

I found out these facts via a book my Dad had on the subject. Their notoriety was still known among the older generations though, who my mum and dad grew up around. You dont have to go back many generations, to get to that era. They were often fighting with their rivals, another regiment in the same Army.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Gregory’s Girl -1980- Up-beat and quirky romantic Scottish comedy written and directed by Bill Forsyth(Local Hero). His script won a BAFTA in 1982, for best original screenplay. The story centres on 16 year old school boy and wannabe rock drummer Gregory(John Gordon Sinclair). Who’s life is turned upside down when his place on the School football team, is taken by a more highly skilled player in the form of Dorothy(Dee Hepburn). Showing her superior skills on the pitch, and holding her own with her male team mates.

In the context of today’s world, it’s hard to see how cutting edge, progressive and unique this movie was for its time. Now women rightfully play a bigger role in football, than they did during the early 1980’s. At the time there was a short burst of movies mostly from American studios, focusing on women in sport. Golden Girl(1979), Personal Best(1982), Quarterback Princess(1983), and Heart Like A Wheel(1983), to name a few.

Gregory’s Girl was the precursor to Bend It Like Beckham(2002). By 2002 attitudes toward ladies in sport had thankfully moved on a lot. In 1980, it was still a controversial subject. It’s a time capsule, from the days before the pressures of social media and the arrival of the mobile phone.

Its still a fun little film, with stars Dee Hepburn and John Gordon Sinclair each delivering great performances. Hepburn spent four weks with a local football team, to prepare for her role. You would never have thought the cast had such little experience performing in front of the cameras. With some superb support from fellow Scottish actors Clare Grogan, Jake D’Arcy, Allison Forster, and Billy Greenless. Most of the cast were hired from local Youth Theatres in the Glasgow area. Bill Forsyth’s script doesn’t just focus on football, but the highs and lows of teenage life and falling in love for the first time. A decent hour and thirty minute independent film, that still holds it’s comedic charm.

(Below) - Park bench dating, Susan(Clare Grogan) & Gregory(John Gordon Sinclair) in a scene from the film.
May be an image of 2 people and text
Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

DragonClaws

Bloody Muscle Bodybuilder from Hell - (90's Japanese independent production, not released until 2012?) a.k.a The Japanese Evil Dead.

Flashpoint (1984)

Zombie Flesh Eaters (1983)

Tammy & The T-Rex(1994) - (Uncut Edition, and not the re-edited/re-issued PG version released to cash in on Jurassic Park)

The late Paul Walker and Densie Richards turn up in early starring roles.

Friday The 13 Part II (1982)

Night Train Murder (1975) - For the Ennio Morricone score.

Black Dynamite (2009)

Alice Doesnt Live Here Anymore (1974)

Rocky 1 & 2 (1976 - 1979)

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

The Avenging Conscience (1916: D.W. Griffith):  

Not the most interesting or exciting or important Griffith, well not even close. Influenced by Poe, but without the wit, fluidity of verse (obviously) and with an ending -- such a now TV ending.  That ending ruins the whole moral of the story pretty much. His direction improves a whole lot with my recently seen Way Down East (1920), but his need for didacticism remains the same. He feels too preachy. Let us decide. 

The story is a of a nephew who is under control (monetary wise) of an uncle who does not approve of his love. This of course angers him and leads him to ... murder. A murder most foul (must now write fowl). And like in The Tell-tale Heart it makes him nervous. Dreadfully nervous! There is an Italian too. For the year it is a fine film. It is on Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Cinema so he considers it important and it is for that year. But while the ending unwraps a whole lot making the audience possibly feel better, it leaves a lot of questions. I doubt I'll spoil this for anyone, but I'll just say it was an ending. Worth watching for you Griffith fans and/or silent cinema, but probably not for anyone else. 

• Like 3

Super Ninja

Gully Boy (2019) - my warmest and most sincere recommendation!

So I made my brother watch Avengement and in return he made me watch Gully Boy, a movie that would be easiest to describe as Indian 8 Mile. It is inspired by the lives of two Indian street rappers; it seems it's even harder to make it in India than in Detroit. I know many wouldn't even bother watching something like this but know I was so happy by the time it ended I had goosebumps and was jumping up and down my bed wanting more after two and a half hours! Whether you enjoy rap movies with rap battles and all (who'd say Hindi rap could sound this good), feelgood coming-of-age movies or just good movies, Gully Boy hits all the right notes!

• Like 4