What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

masterofoneinchpunch
9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

There was a lot of hype around this movie at the time of its release, in the U.K at least. It's one film from my childhood that I have very fond memories of, but its been some time since I watched it.

Would be interested what you think of a rewatch.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

Inglorious BastArds (original)

The Howling

The Italian Job (original)

Bruce and the Iron Finger

• Like 4

Duel to the Death
2 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

The Howling

The Howling is one of my all time favorite horror movies. It's in my top 5

• Like 4

DragonClaws
On 4/30/2021 at 10:33 AM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Would be interested what you think of a rewatch.

Any John Candy films I watch, Ill add my thoughts here for you. He was a big part of my childhood growing up, my older sister rented just about everything he was in at one point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Any John Candy films I watch, Ill add my thoughts here for you. He was a big part of my childhood growing up, my older sister rented just about everything he was in at one point.

I like John Candy as well, I watched “summer rental” a lot with my sister when I was a kid. This year I also saw “ the great outdoors”. Absolutely loved that one, especially the song and dance at the end by Akroyd

• Like 4

Duel to the Death

Nothing beats Planes Trains and Automobiles. That is the ultimate John Candy movie. 

• Like 5

masterofoneinchpunch

The Great Man’s Lady (1942: William Wellman):  

This was awful so I won't dwell on it much. Barbara Stanwyck's make-up made her look like a Muppet. While her performance as her younger self was fine (if not a bit ingratiating), her 100-year old self was just OK. She tells a story in flashback of her self-sacrificing for a "great man" who is not particularly great, not even really good, kind of annoying really in Joel McCrea (who I normally like). He becomes great, but it takes awhile for that to happen like this movie. 

Oh sure it is only 90 minutes, but feels like you are stuck in the DMV between two smelly people. The cinematography is good. Once again proving how much camerawork today is mediocre or worse. 

Still love the scene where McCrea's character shoots Brian Donlevy's character. Damn, that was cold (still love how they get around the censors on this one). 

Has anyone else seen this? I really do not recommend it, even if you like McCrea or Barbara Stanwyck or William A. Wellman's directing (watch The Ox-Bow Incident instead). 

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

Nightbreed (1990: Clive Barker):  

Watched the Director's Cut on Scream Factory release. It is a mixed bag with some excellent elements marred by a showdown scene which went too pathos (never go full pathos). While the make-up and prosthetics were mixed, there were some like here I loved. This one had an intro hiding her face with a fan like an older Kitana. 

I wonder how this Coraline-ish killer is? Well it really is not hard to figure out as it is shown probably a bit too early. But the actor who performs (well sometimes it could be a stunt double; well is a stunt double later on in the shown) is quite good. 

On a completely unrelated note: David Cronenberg (yes the director) is quite good here as the psycho psychologist. He's basically playing himself (as long as himself is a knives obsessed -- hmmmm maybe he should have directed Knives Out, but I digress). 

I wish the movie went more into the mythos of Midian, especially for this character who once again shows that a black leather jacket goes well with jeans (he switches it with a black shirt and shirtless, but the jacket stays for a big chunk of the movie getting a credit). 

Clive Barker, in the intro, states that the producers were not ready for sympathetic monsters and it had me wondering about all the early sympathetic Universal Monsters (seriously Clive you should know this).  But I'm glad he got to see a much more closer realization to his vision. I'm sure he would have been happy with a bigger budget, but I kind of wish the plot did not have to be resolved at a showdown with disposable idiots. 

Edited by masterofoneinchpunch
Fixed image comment.
  • Like 4

Super Ninja

Freaky (2020) - When a movie appears on several best of the year lists, it tends to pique my interest. Among the few such I found, Freaky was the one that had the kinda vibe I was looking for my Sunday evening watch. It's a horror comedy that mixes modern slasher and teen horror with the well known swapping bodies premise, giving the genre a nice twist. It is thanks to the ancient Aztec dagger that the Blissfield Butcher, played by Vince Vaughn and thought by some to be just an urban legend, ends up trapped in the body of a high school teenager Millie, played by the blue eyed blonde Kathryn Newton. Of course, the Butcher turns Millie into a wild hottie taking revenge on the ones that used to bully her and Millie discovers what's it like to be strong and have balls, while trying to get her body back withing the next 24 hours after which the switch is permanent. What you're getting are cheerleaders, jocks, small town serial killer, a gay and a black girl (how come no Asians?) all waiting for the Homecoming dance (except for the drunk mom and a hobo willing to suck it for drugs) in a story sprinkled with romance and gay smootches. While not being perfect and with Vaughn not exploring full depths of his role (yeah I won't join the list of people praising his performance), Freaky is exactly the kinda fun ride you could expect, not very funny but making up for it with some inventive gory kills. 

• Like 2

DragonClaws

The Boys from Brazil - 1978 - A reporter discovers a plot to bring back the Third Reich, in Paraguay during the late 1970's. The film was based on a novel by Ira Levin, and adapted for the screen by Heywood Gould. A fantastic all-star cast were assembled for this Franklin J Schaffner(Planet of The Apes, Patton) directed production. The late director delivers a solid two-hour thriller, that keeps you gripped throughout. The director and producer, fought over the portrayal of screen violence in the film. The producer wanted a PG rating, so they could sell the movie more easily to T.V companies around the world. While Franklin J.Schaffer wanted to make a story aimed only at adults. Even with the lower rating, it's pretty strong stuff for a PG rated 70's flick.

Very much a product of its time now, it still holds a sinister ambience to it. Actor Jeremy Black 's performance as the genetic product of some weird Nazi experiment. Is one of the stand out performances of the movie, just why didn’t this man get more film acting gigs?. The stage actor holds his own with acting titans Gregory Peck, Laurence Olivia and James Mason. It would have nice to see more of James Mason's character in the final cut.

It so long since I watched this, it was almost like viewing it for the first time. Gregory Peck is on top form in the only villainous role he ever portrayed on-screen. Linda Hayden really stands out in a small minor role, playing an imprisoned ex Nazi nurse. Look out for ace veteran English actor Dehnholm Elliot, in a minor role. Also watch out for a young Steve Guttenberg, who plays a naive reporter at the start of the story. It's the expetional performances of Lilli Palmer & Laurence Olivier that help to tie everything together. Actor George C.Scott was set to play Olivias role, but pulled out just before production began. Special mention goes to Jerry Goldsmiths terrific memorable score, which is worthy of a review all its own.

Lilli Palmer & Laurence Olivier, in character as brave on-screen siblings Esta & Ezra.

The Boys from Brazil (1978)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

masterofoneinchpunch

Enemy (2013: Denis Villeneuve):  

I'm really in the middle on this one. Halfway through I'm thinking this could be a great film. At the end I'm feeling a bit annoyed, not always interested and thinking this should either be more opaque and ambiguous or less. It tries to meet his medium which left me a bit disinterested. Sure you can add your own theory to it (obviously the worst cases of this can be seen in abstract or drip art): like here is a doppelgänger, some weird twin thing, etc... It annoyed me that after being fascinated, one was repelled (and one's wife was too, that at one point she knows there is a difference). It seems to me Dead Ringers covered this area so much better. Was it Jake Gyllenhaal's performance that left me cold? Was it the writing? Probably both. 

The soundtrack was interesting in which it made every mundane thing seem frightened and heightened. I do think this was counterproductive though -- at least as the film went on. 

My favorite shot in the movie. OF course i was thinking Mist. Yes, the spiders are a metaphor (Fascist police, tangled web he weaves. But this would be a really cool statue for a city to have. 

Is he the same person with the other? A guess it would be a spoiler to tell. You have enough clues, though the director plays it tricky which ultimately annoys me. 

Overall, I like Denis Villeneuve as a director. So far my least favorite of his. I'm just so ambivalent on the movie. 

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

The Last Starfighter (1984: Nick Castle): 

It has been years (think 1980s) since I last saw this. I read it mentioned in several Ernest Cline novels so it was time for a rewatch. Love the coincidence that the movie mentions "Armada" since the book mentions this. 

An enjoyable flick. Basic, yes and I'm sure (very sure) that like the players in Armada, there are so many gamers who fantasize about their great playing skills being transferred to a real life and death situation. Here we have Alex Rogan (Lance Guest) who is great at this video game that happened to pop-up at his trailer park. When he does well, he has a gaggle of people who watch him (nothing better to do, social media has not been invented yet, unless you have a modem and BBS but I digress). 

It might have been nice to go further into why he was such a good gamer, but we are given the fact that he rules at this game. Of course it is not what it seems: it is a test to recruit for Star League. 

You can guess what is going to happen. It goes at a leisurely pace, but it is fun nevertheless. In terms of CGI, this is an important landmark movie because of its firsts in several areas (even more so than Tron). They are clunky, but not bad considering the time. 

I like a lot of the makeup in this movie, like the one below of his "friend" and co-pilot and father of several thousand children (with a great scene of him showing his wife and children). 

Yes, video games are our salvation. Really Armada takes a lot from this and Ender's Game

The antagonist is a bit weak and too over-the-top, but I did love the ending of the people who hired him (think Star Trek 6 ending of Christopher Plummer) 

So ultimately a passable, fun film (Beta Alex is cool) that is important for its graphics of the time. Somewhat influential and probably only for die-hard sci-fi fans. 

• Like 4

Duel to the Death
27 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

It has been years (think 1980s) since I last saw this. I read it mentioned in several Ernest Cline novels so it was time for a rewatch.

I seen this for the first time 2 years ago. It was fun. I seen a ton of movies in the 80's but there were a few that slipped past me and this was one of them. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

An enjoyable flick. Basic, yes and I'm sure (very sure) that like the players in Armada, there are so many gamers who fantasize about their great playing skills being transferred to a real life and death situation. Here we have Alex Rogan (Lance Guest) who is great at this video game that happened to pop-up at his trailer park. When he does well, he has a gaggle of people who watch him (nothing better to do, social media has not been invented yet, unless you have a modem and BBS but I digress). 

It might have been nice to go further into why he was such a good gamer, but we are given the fact that he rules at this game. Of course it is not what it seems: it is a test to recruit for Star League. 

Heh. This plot device was used in the novel Godzilla 2000 by Marc Cerasini (part of a series of YA novels published during the Godzilla '98 marketing blitz) as a way for the government to recruit new talent to be a part of G-Force, the anti-Godzilla organization.

• Like 3

Super Ninja

Safety Last! (1923) - This Harold Lloyd classics, perhaps best known for the clock scene that inspired Jackie for his famous Project A (1983) stunt, didn't join The General (1926) and Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1926) on my favorite silent comedy list but it remains one of the best examples of Lloyd's daredevil comedy. It never ceases to amaze me how these almost a hundred years old movies can still be this impressive.

Father of the Year (2018) - This Happy Madison collab with Netflix turned out to be as flat as its comedy. I can see what they aimed for here but though my brain did found some of the jokes funny, my mouth refused to laugh. Skip it!

Sentinelle (2021) - I can be called many things but a Neflix fan I ain't. One thing I do like about Netflix is their support of aspiring young filmmakers as well as the vets of the industry. Sentinelle, another Netflix original, has been on my radar for a while but there was nothing really attracting me to the movie except for the promising trailer. Finding out it was directed by Justin Leclercq, director responsible for the great Van Damme action thriller The Bouncer (2018) finally made me watch it, after all, its 80 minute runtime seemed ideal for a tired Friday night watch. Despite negative comments, Sentinelle is not that bad. It doesn't bring anything new to the table when it comes to female kickass action, but neither did Ava (2020) and was still a good watch. French-Ukrainian actress/model Olga Kurylenko, who you probably know as the Bond girl from Quantum of Solace (2008), is playing a French soldier Klara who returns home to Nice after the incident with the kid blowing himself up during her mission in Syria. She's now patrolling the streets with Operation Setinelle troops (French military operation in charge of protecting the homeland from possible terrorist attacks, like the one from January 2015. when Al-Qaeda took the lives of 17 people wounding another 22). Things take a turn for the worse when Klara's sister is found raped and ends up in a coma, something Klara just cannot let go without punishing the ones responsible, in this case crazy rich Russians. You could add Sentinelle to the list of female kickass action flicks in the vein of Red Sparrow (2018), Peppermint (2018) and Maria (2019), only with some girl-on-girl action (not of the fighting kind) thrown in the mix. Olga Kurylenko delivers a solid performance, with Agel Aurelia doubling for her action scenes. Among the couple of fights, you'll get a handful of nothing with Klara fighting the drunk girl-beater on the beach, so-so night club bathroom fight with two bodyguards and a fairly solid fight involving Kurylenko and stuntwoman Melissa Humler as the fake nurse payed by the Russians to eliminate Klara's sister. This fight is brutal and violent, delivering some pleasing stunt falls thanks to Humler. The action is not as good as the trailer seemed to promise but you could do worse. If it's French Netflix originals you want, I'd much sooner recommend Lost Bullet (2020).

• Like 4

DragonClaws

The Charge of The Light Brigade - 1968 - Re-make of the classic 1936 movie of the same name, which starred Olivia de Havilland & Errol Flynn and was directed by Michael Curtiz. I enjoyed both films equally, but of the two I think the 1968 version is the best. It's grittier and takes an almost satire like look at the old British Military system. There's even some Mony Python inspired animated sequences, that mostly make up the opening credits.

Yorkshire born director Tony Richardson(Look Back in Anger) is the man on directing duties. By the time the production ended, it was the most expensive British movie of its time. I live in Yorkshire myself, and not too far from where the original Light Brigade were stationed. They had a big reputation for fighting and drinking in the local area. The only reason the pubs put it up with, is becuase they would spend most of there money in them.

The weapons and approaches to warfare were rapidly changing in the mid-18th century. In 1854 the famous British Light Brigade charged heavily defended Russian cannons, in the Battle of Balaklava during the Crimean War. A major Military blunder on a massive scale, the film is mostly set during the build up to this battle.

For year's I'd only seen the heavily edited versions, with some of dialogue/violence cut back so it could be screened on afternoon British T.V. It was great to finally see it with all the dialogue etc intact. There are rumours the film played in a longer cut, during its original theatrical runs?.

Director Tony Richardson used 3,000 officers and men of the Turkish army wearing uniforms made by local tailors to play the British,Russian and French soldiers. 500 of the Turkish cavalry were used as the ''Noble 600' - IMDB

It's a classic of British cinema, and a film that really could only have been made in the late 1960's. The philosophy and attitude of the films style, is soaked in that cynical late 60's feeling. As the decade was coming to a close, and approaching the much colder and less sugar coated 1970's.

David Hemmings is perfectly cast as the brave young soldier Capt Lewis Nolan. Surrounded by a brilliant cast of supporting players, Venessa Redgrave, John Gielgud, Jill Bennet and Peter Bowles to name just a few. It's Trevor Howard who really stands out, as the fearless and eccentric Lord Cardigan. Not the most authentic portrayal of the Light Brigades final days, but still a finely made movie.

Beach landing, (Far left)Ben Harris and David Hemmings(centre) as Lt Maxse & Captain Lewis Nolan.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-elcO2Y6WzvQ/WIetbcDHfiI/AAAAAAAACx4/PkuSz7VI3WM7j_hvPpwYYMqohoTjLgDzwCLcB/s1600/kinopoisk.ru-The-Charge-of-the-Light-Brigade-2564664.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Hmm interesting film, I’ll watch it some time DragonClaws. I have seen the Erroll Flynn one a long time ago but it didn’t leave much of an impression on me.

One of my all time favorites is the 1964 Cy Endfield film Zulu. I get goosebumps each time I watch it with it’s fantastic score and the brilliant acting. That scene where the zulus first emerge on the mountains is so epic, the fear in the eyes of the British, the intense battle scenes (especially in the hospital with a heroic display of Hook).Last but not least the zulu scenes in the beginning, the chanting etc it’s awesome.

I’ve seen the film dozens of times and it never gets old, it might even be my absolute favorite though it has 2 or 3 contenders as competition.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, WangYu said:

I’ve seen the film dozens of times and it never gets old, it might even be my absolute favorite though it has 2 or 3 contenders as competition.

I grew up watching this movie, I've seen it so many times over the years. A truly classic film, with a fantastic soundtrack to boot. It put Michael Caine on the map in terms of acting too.

8 hours ago, WangYu said:

Hmm interesting film, I’ll watch it some time DragonClaws. I have seen the Erroll Flynn one a long time ago but it didn’t leave much of an impression on me.

Worth watching if you enjoy British cinema @WangYu.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Some films I've seen during my convalescence from a surgery I had last Friday:

Love (2011) - Interesting space film about a guy who's living by himself on the International Space Station circa 2039 and suddenly loses contact with Earth after six years. He struggles to maintain his sanity over the course of six years until he receives a mysterious message informing him of an impending docking sequence.

The movie is intercut with videos of people talking about the need for human connection and interaction, which the big theme of the film. The last 20 minutes is very cerebral and reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey. That will certainly throw some viewers for a loop. However, for being a low budget film, the entire thing looks great.

Gawain and the Green Knight (1973) - Low-budget, but faithful adaptation of the 14th century romance "Sir Gawan and þe Grene Knyȝt". It's interesting because I originally became acquainted with this tale through a book called "Myths and Legends" by Brenda Ralph Lewis. While the general premise of the story was the same, the bit about Gawain's temptations was changed. In the film and the original story, his temptations come from the amorous advances of a lord's wife. The M&L book depicted the temptations as noblemen, hunters and knights sent by the Green Knight to divert Gawain's attention from his duty and oath. This film is a little dry in its presentation, but sticklers for faithfulness to source material will appreciate this.

Dragonheart (1996) - My journey through Medieval cinema continues with this film, which I never saw before. I don't know why, except that maybe I was too busy getting into martial arts films at the time to really care. It's a fun little flick with a strong cast, including (at least) two actors who would go onto to play Harry Potter characters: David Thewliss (Remus) and Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy). The Oscar-nominated special effects haven't aged too badly, either. I think with so many M-rated series set in Ancient times depicting the era as a cesspool of violence, brutality and whatnot, a film like this would probably be looked down upon for keeping its tongue in its cheek.

Last Days on Mars (2011) - I'm jumping back and forth between space-themed films and Medieval movies this week. So I checked out this lesser-known Irish/British production, starring Liev Scrieber. The premise is that a group of astronauts carrying out research on Mars have reached the last 19 hours of their mission. Just as they're getting ready to tidy things up, one of the scientists discovers proof of unicellular life. Things go south from there.

While the movie is initially interesting, once things really get bad, it becomes less interesting because the menace itself is not very imaginative:

Spoiler

The bacteria infects members of the crew and transforms them into rage zombies. *sigh*

Life (2017) - Like LOVE, which I watched the other day, this film is set entirely on the International Space Station and is a claustrophobic exercise in filmmaking. Like THE LAST DAYS ON MARS, the film concerns itself with the discovery of unicellular life of Mars and how things could go awry from that particular starting point.

This film has a more recognizable cast than those films: Ryan Reynolds, Jake Gyllenhaal, Hiroyuki Sanada. And word to future project leaders at NASA: do not put Hiroyuki Sanada on your flight crew. He's going to die and things are going to go South, even if it's not his fault. Did no one watch SUNSHINE?

A monster does appear, which looks like the final boss from the Parasite Eve game for the PS. And while THE LAST DAYS ON MARS had ambiguous pessimism a la THE THING (1982) for its ending, this one went full on bummer.

Gladiator (2000) - You know, I had never seen this one before. My friends went to go see it during our Senior Year, but I was with my mom in Pleasanton when they went. And for some reason, I just never made the effort to watch it. That has now been fixed...21 years later.

Did I enjoy it? Yes, I did. Do I think it is one of the greatest films of all time? Or at least of my day? I don't think so. But it is quite good. The action scenes are generally well mounted, although I thought the finale was a bit truncated. I think I liked the "reenactment" of the second battle of Carthage the best, although the fight with the guy and the tigers was pretty cool, too.

The story was generally good, if a bit oversimplified as historical films tend to be. If I learned anything from my readings last year, is that whatever fight Maximus had won against the Germanic tribes probably didn't mean so much in the grand scheme of history as it did in the film. As far as I can remember, the Romans never fully took the Black Forest and Germanic invasions were pretty common up until the Empire split--the idea being that if you plundered enough, Rome would find it easier just to legitimize you than keep sending men to fight you. Reminds me of how PEARL HARBOR kept on droning about the importance of bombing Tokyo as the turning point of WW2, when my history teacher told me a month before that Coral Sea and Midway were the real decisive moments of the Pacific Theater.

Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) is also played as a composite of both the real Commodus and his successor, Pertinax, whose reign only lasted about three months. The movie would suggest that with Commodus' death, the Empire would return to a more democratic/republican state. On the contrary, Commodus' reign marked the final phase of Pax Romana and the ensuing years were fraught by civil war and quick successions of emperors, some of whom purchased the title.

But then, nobody in their right mind goes into a film expecting "real" history, so I won't hold it against the movie.

Centurion (2010) - I followed up Gladiator with Centurion, a lower-budgeted adventure-thriller directed by horror director Neill Marshall (The Descent; Dog Soldiers).

The movie is set shortly before the construction of Hadrian's Wall, which essentially separated Scotland from the rest of the Britain, which was under Roman rule. The reason? Because the Romans were simply unable to defeat the tribe known as the Picts. The film suggests that the infamous 9th Legion disappeared from history after the 1st century because they got their butts handed to them by the Picts.

The bulk of the film involves a group of survivors from the aforementioned 9th Legion fleeing the winter-ravaged Scottish highlands with a band of particularly bloodthirsty Picts on their tails, led by a particularly bloodthirsty tracker (Olga Kurylenko). This band is led by Quintus Dias, played by Michael Fassbender. These men are going to need an extraordinary amount of luck if they are to outwit their stalkers.

Neill Marshall's horror sensibilities display themselves at every turn: this film is GORY. People who thought Gladiator was violent will think it was tame in comparison. Limbs and heads are lopped off. Throats are slit. Every swing of the sword is accompanied by the splattering of blood. The action really plays up the violent aspects of melee combat as opposed to actual fight choreography, which tends to be chaotic and over-edited.

It's a pretty good film, but man! A year later, there was another film, THE EAGLE, produced about a Roman soldier crossing Hadrian's Wall in order to retrieve his father's Eagle emblem (Centurion does have a scene emphasizing that the Eagle fell into Pictish hands). I suppose one might consider that to be a pseudo-sequel in terms of historical chronology, even the films have nothing to do with each other.
  • Like 4

DragonClaws
On 5/20/2021 at 4:15 PM, DrNgor said:

Gawain and the Green Knight (1973) - Low-budget, but faithful adaptation of the 14th century romance "Sir Gawan and þe Grene Knyȝt". It's interesting because I originally became acquainted with this tale through a book called "Myths and Legends" by Brenda Ralph Lewis. While the general premise of the story was the same, the bit about Gawain's temptations was changed. In the film and the original story, his temptations come from the amorous advances of a lord's wife. The M&L book depicted the temptations as noblemen, hunters and knights sent by the Green Knight to divert Gawain's attention from his duty and oath. This film is a little dry in its presentation, but sticklers for faithfulness to source material will appreciate this.

Have you seen the 1980s Cannon version starring Sean Connery?. There's also another screen adaptation, that coming out very soon - trailer below. I can honestly say I've never watched any of the film versions, despite being a massive fan of the Arthurian legends.

On 5/20/2021 at 4:15 PM, DrNgor said:

Dragonheart (1996) - My journey through Medieval cinema continues with this film, which I never saw before. I don't know why, except that maybe I was too busy getting into martial arts films at the time to really care. It's a fun little flick with a strong cast, including (at least) two actors who would go onto to play Harry Potter characters: David Thewliss (Remus) and Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy). The Oscar-nominated special effects haven't aged too badly, either. I think with so many M-rated series set in Ancient times depicting the era as a cesspool of violence, brutality and whatnot, a film like this would probably be looked down upon for keeping its tongue in its cheek.

One of my favourite childhood movies, but it's so long since I watched it. Nice to hear its dated pretty well, judging by your comments @DrNgor. Avoid all the poorly made DTV sequels at all costs. I think Sean Connery did the voice of the dragon right?.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Have you seen the 1980s Cannon version starring Sean Connery?. There's also another screen adaptation, that coming out very soon - trailer below. I can honestly say I've never watched any of the film versions, despite being a massive fan of the Arthurian legends.

One of my favourite childhood movies, but it's so long since I watched it. Nice to hear its dated pretty well, judging by your comments @DrNgor. Avoid all the poorly made DTV sequels at all costs. I think Sean Connery did the voice of the dragon right?.

I saw it in the theater and it was quite fun.  I was wondering why he did not mention Sean Connery (yes he did the voice).  I need to rewatch it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Have you seen the 1980s Cannon version starring Sean Connery?

I have not. And yes, it was the Green Knight trailer that inspired me to visit some of these Medieval and Roman-themed films. I still have a slew of them I need to watch: Braveheart; King Arthur; Kingdom of Heaven; The Last Legion; The Eagle; Robin Hood; the Guy Ritchie King Arthur film; etc.

• Like 2

"Color out of Space(2019)" - After seeing "Mandy" and "Willy's Wonderland", I was really excited to watch this one. Unfortunately this one didn't click with me. I wasn't a fan of the characters, who I found annoying and uninteresting(Even Cage wasn't that great). The guy who played  Wade Phillips was probably the least annoying, but his romance sub-plot with Lavinia went nowhere and felt tacked on. But going nowhere is pretty much where the whole movie went. I know that Lovecraft stories are suppose to be psychological, with crazy things and beings showing up, and people going nuts in response. But, even knowing that, this movie felt like a senseless mess, that went nowhere and bored the heck out of me. And boring is one thing that I cannot forgive a movie for being. The effects where nice, I guess. Even if it does seem like someone on the staff had a hard-on for the color pink. But like I've said before, a pretty turd is still a turd. So yeah, I cannot recommend this one. I do have the original story this movie was based on, so I will try reading it and see if I like it better.

• Like 2

Just finished Dolemite...  I've got to say vinegar syndromes remastering of this surprised even myself with the quality

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 5/21/2021 at 12:24 PM, DrNgor said:

I have not. And yes, it was the Green Knight trailer that inspired me to visit some of these Medieval and Roman-themed films. I still have a slew of them I need to watch: Braveheart; King Arthur; Kingdom of Heaven; The Last Legion; The Eagle; Robin Hood; the Guy Ritchie King Arthur film; etc.

If you enjoy medieval/period movies, I can recommend a few more titles. Just not sure what you have and havent viewed already?.

On 5/21/2021 at 12:07 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I need to rewatch it.

Ditto, it was a big deal around the time of its release.

• Like 2