What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

masterofoneinchpunch

The Conjuring 2 (2016: James Wan).  

Like the first film I ended up liking this. An interesting mix of horror, religion and direction. Wan has improved a lot since Insidious in terms of composition: sound, camera movement, set design and more. 

I like how the couple is actually happy with little bickering and they work well together. I like both leads.  I noticed this in a lot of the Conjuring universe films (though you may have an ungrateful daughter who may or may not be a demon). Honestly you know two threads in the film are going to meet. But overall I found this more frightening than the first, though I think the first is a better film. 

This time it takes place in England. Be wary of bloomin wankers. 

At the end, I love the room full of artifacts and how Annabelle is in the background. The basement reminded me of It. Something about water in a dark basement (wait I grew up with this, we all float down here). 

The second Annabelle movie is next (definitely since the post credits have a spoiler and I just finished it and will post it tomorrow), though you can tell The Nun is a spinoff of this (what a low IMDB rating, two friends of mine did not like the movie; also the second Annabelle movie points to that film). I still have not seen the second Insidious. Overall been happy with these movies.

• Like 4

Secret Executioner

Wasn't the first Annabelle hinted as a prequel of sorts to The Conjuring ? I recall reading about this a few years ago around the time the movie came out.

Haven't seen any of the Conjuring films nor Annabelle 2 nor The Nun (which I had no idea was related to those), but I tried to watch Insidious 4 (not sure if the Insidious series is related to those or if it's only sharing the creator) and left early because the jumpscares were getting on my nerves. Too bad cause the movie has some relatively likeable characters (the medium's sidekicks seemed hilarious in spite of their only joke being that she is a medium and they are XL or something) and I heard the finale was actually pretty epic (in a "ghost literally get their asses kicked" sense).

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

Scantily clad babes, nazis, a tropical island... All this and a lot of boredom were in tonight's watch: She Demons (USA, 1958)

• Like 3

Since I heard that shout factory have released a friday 13th box set I have been binging on those since. I dont want to buy the box set as I dont do region A and I dont have the moola to pay the exorbitant prices for that set. I have paid far too much money already on these films and I have watched them countless times so I'll just settle for watching the set I do have but the extras on the shout set look amazing. I watched the uncut scenes for part 2 on youtube as this was the biggest highlight about that set.

Anyone else watched the uncut scenes of part 2? If so what did u think?

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

@Red Lion I don't think Shout ship outside North America anyway, though their stuff can be found elsewhere. Personally, I have the Friday the 13th movies on individual DVDs with which I'm very happy.

Tonight's movie: some more Roger Corman stuff.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

BRONX VS VAMPIRES

Cute almost family friendly movie (well, people do die a lot ) about a trio of kids up against some gentrifying vampires who want to ruin the neighborhood. Homage to Blade as well as some inspiration (though it could just be a coincidence) from Monster Squad. Pretty funny in parts and the people in the Bronx look like every day people, not models, which gives the film some extra charm. Not a bad way to kill 90 minutes.

• Like 5

masterofoneinchpunch

Dune (1984: David Lynch): 

Well the first movie watched of the month that was not a horror film (Though was it horrible?) Watched it right after I finished the book. The book is so much better than the movie which I recently read for the second time.  I reread the same book which I read in the 1980s.  Yes, the book has images of this movie on it. The movie is OK, but a bit disappointing for my second viewing. 

Reading the book helps understand the movie so much more. A lot of viewers who had not seen the film were confused by the film. Sometimes the movie feels like a way-to-quick abridged version of the book with some giant worm-like faults (like the ending).  The pacing is fine for about the first half of the movie, but then goes on speed. 

For the most part Lynch was faithful to the source material. He does a small annoying thing and reference some material from the second book like the Guild Navigators (Though they look much more Lynch like here than in the book). 

Obviously characters, relationships and plot-lines will be missing. So much of the political intrigue is missing here. The eunuch Fenring is so cool like a Ming Dynasty character. Missed him here. 

The cinematography does not look as good as it should (a huge mistake). The casting was a bit off. I love Patrick Stewart but I cannot picture him well as Gurney Halleck and well still cannot. Kyle MacLachlan a favorite of Lynch is miscast.  Way too old for the character.  About the age for the second book. 

The problem with Baron Vladimir Harkonnen was not only the look, but the decision to make him a villain dialed up to 11. He is so much more devious and cunning in the book. Sting is cool, but needed more dialogue to make his character more appropriate. 

I am looking forward with some trepidation to the new Dune. I had just watched the trailer for the new film and still have some trepidation on watching it.  Unfortunately, when I wrote the above I did not know they were going to postpone the film until next year.  Are you kidding me?  Oh that is annoying.  I can understand it from, well making money, but still I wanted to read all the main books and then watch the new movie.  Now I am debating on watching the two different mini-series. 

• Like 4

Secret Executioner

Took a little break from horror cinema to watch some Halloween specials.

Attack of the Phantoms (USA, 1978)

Legendary rock band Kiss (whose members are pretty much superheroes moonlighting as rock stars) having to deal with the awful Abner Devereaux and his own evil version of the band.

Technically an overseas theatrical release of the made-for-TV movie Kiss meets the Phantom of the Park. that aired on TV in the US in late October 1978, this version is notable for not only some alternative or added scenes but also a soundtrack replacing chunks of the score with excerpts of songs from the band's 1978 "solo albums". 

It's goofy as hell, highly quotable and you get some Kiss "live" performances  and music. What's not to like ?

On a sidenote, I'm not sure why they overdubbed those with the studio versions of the songs instead of keeping the audio from the actual concert Kiss played on May 19, 1978 at the Magic Mountain park in Valencia, CA for the movie - a concert of which there only seems to exist a very poor quality audio recording BTW. More info on this show: https://www.kissconcerthistory.com/1978/1978-0519.php

There are a lot of stories on the movie, such as Ace Frehley's noticeable black stuntdouble who apparently had to fill in for a lot of scenes as Ace wouldn't show up or be late, Peter Criss being obviously dubbed by someone because his accent would make him hard to understand (I'm not an American nor a native English speaker and I've always understood him fine) but the real reason is more likely that he was too drugged up or drunk to be able to record his lines. Speaking of, the characters of the band members in the movie were (supposedly) written based on how they were in real life. Ace was likely high when they "studied" him seeing how "spaced out" he acts and comes aross in the film.

Garfield in Disguise AKA Garfield's Halloween Adventure (USA, 1985)

Garfield and Odie go trick-or-treating but things go awry and they end up meeting the ghosts of a pirate crew who came to claim their treasure.

Based on Jim Davis' comic stip this special is very fun - catchy songs, some great jokes (mostly one-liners from Garfield) and a decent story. Nothing really deep there, but it offers some thrills. The animation is pretty cool too, the ghosts have great designs and while Garfield's mouth doesn't move while he speaks, his moves are fluid and he has quite a range of facial expressions.

Random fact: Bill Murray wasn't too fond of his character from Ghostbusters being voiced by Lorenzo Music in the cartoons. He felt it was bizarre that he had the same voice as Garfield. Yet Murray would later provide Garfield's voice for the live-action movies.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 10:58 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Dune (1984: David Lynch): 

Well the first movie watched of the month that was not a horror film (Though was it horrible?) Watched it right after I finished the book. The book is so much better than the movie which I recently read for the second time.  I reread the same book which I read in the 1980s.  Yes, the book has images of this movie on it. The movie is OK, but a bit disappointing for my second viewing. 

Reading the book helps understand the movie so much more. A lot of viewers who had not seen the film were confused by the film. Sometimes the movie feels like a way-to-quick abridged version of the book with some giant worm-like faults (like the ending).  The pacing is fine for about the first half of the movie, but then goes on speed. 

For the most part Lynch was faithful to the source material. He does a small annoying thing and reference some material from the second book like the Guild Navigators (Though they look much more Lynch like here than in the book). 

Obviously characters, relationships and plot-lines will be missing. So much of the political intrigue is missing here. The eunuch Fenring is so cool like a Ming Dynasty character. Missed him here. 

The cinematography does not look as good as it should (a huge mistake). The casting was a bit off. I love Patrick Stewart but I cannot picture him well as Gurney Halleck and well still cannot. Kyle MacLachlan a favorite of Lynch is miscast.  Way too old for the character.  About the age for the second book. 

The problem with Baron Vladimir Harkonnen was not only the look, but the decision to make him a villain dialed up to 11. He is so much more devious and cunning in the book. Sting is cool, but needed more dialogue to make his character more appropriate. 

I am looking forward with some trepidation to the new Dune. I had just watched the trailer for the new film and still have some trepidation on watching it.  Unfortunately, when I wrote the above I did not know they were going to postpone the film until next year.  Are you kidding me?  Oh that is annoying.  I can understand it from, well making money, but still I wanted to read all the main books and then watch the new movie.  Now I am debating on watching the two different mini-series. 

I liked dune way more than i thought i would. I only started reading the 1st book and already it enriched the film ten fold and made alot make sense. I stopped reading it but really should get back into it. Have you seen the tv version and do u think lynch is too harsh on the finished film to have wanted his name off the credits?

• Like 4

Secret Executioner

A double dose of Peter Cushing stuff for today: Blood Beast Terror (UK, 1968) and Island of Terror (UK, 1966)

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

Love and Monsters

A cute movie about a guy who has PTSD and who usually freezes in battle, in a monster filled apocalyptic future. The twist is, everyone is really nice to him and they have him cook ("Don't try to fight, just run and hide!"). Instead of the dog eat dog future most movie promote, this one shows a humanity that for the most part tries to stick together and help each other. Even some of the creatures are pretty mellow, just huge.Of course there are gooey monsters and laughs and it never hurts to have an adorable dog in a movie.....Worth watching. 

• Like 6

masterofoneinchpunch
On 10/17/2020 at 9:35 AM, Red Lion said:

I liked dune way more than i thought i would. I only started reading the 1st book and already it enriched the film ten fold and made alot make sense. I stopped reading it but really should get back into it. Have you seen the tv version and do u think lynch is too harsh on the finished film to have wanted his name off the credits?

I am glad you like the book too.  I felt the same way rereading it.  I was wondering why I did not go on after the first book back in the 80s.

I am curious about the TV version of Lynch's film.  I have not watched it, but am interested in it.  I cannot say until I actually watch it so he could be correct.  I did buy the mini-series (the Dune one not The Children of Dune, but have not gone over it yet, it will be awhile before I get to it).

I'm on the third book now.  I should post my mini-reviews of the first two books on the appropriate thread.

• Like 3

Secret Executioner

Continuing on with my horror "marathon" - today's movie was Boogeyman (US/NZ/Germany, 2005) and wasn't among the best.

• Like 3

Secret Executioner

Some more or less horror-themed cartoons:

Batman TAS - "Avatar" (Season 2, Episode 8) (1994)

Ra's Al Ghul is after the secrets of a supposedly immortal queen from Anicent Egypt and Batman (with the help Ra's's daughter Talia) is trying to stop him.

Yup, Batman encountering an Ancient Egypt zombie while fighting one of his greatest enemies (or as he puts it himself his "most powerful enemy"). Much better than one could expect actually, as there is a lot of action, some eerie atmosphere in the tomb and Ra's Al Ghul is quite intimidating. 

The Batman - "Grundy's Night" (Season 2, Episode 12) (2005)

Halloween night is special in Gotham, for it marks the anniversary of the rise of swamp zombie Solomon Grundy who rose from a lake turned into swamp. And he is out for revenge against the descendants of Gotham's founders - or is someone masquerading as Grundy to cause chaos and loot these still rich families ?

Between a dark mansion early on, a swamp monster/zombie, a fight in a wax museum and a few scares, this episode is really having fun using horror elements without them appearing too out of place within the series' universe. And since it stays true to its universe, you rather rapidly figure out who is posing as Grundy.

Superman TAS - "Ghost in the Machine" (Season 2, Episode 14) (1997)

Brainiac's consciousness infects LexCorp's computer systems and forces Lex Luthor to build him a new body.

Not sure how horror most would consider this, though the idea of a virtual intelligence controlling some killer robots and forcing a human to build it a physical body sounds nightmarish. Throw in some eerie atmosphere, a mystery (since nobody knows of Luthor's where-abouts) and some character development (we find out about Luthor's chauffeur/bodyguard Mercy Graves backstory) as well as the return of one of Superman's greatest (and most powerful) enemy and you get a solid episode that grabs you and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Superman TAS - "The Hand of Fate" (Season 2, Episode 20) (1997)

A demon from Ancient Egypt is released from its prison and takes over the Daily Planet building. Powerless against the being's magic, Superman calls upon mystical superhero Dr. Fate for help.

One of the "teamp-up" episodes of the series and while those are usually really good, this one is special in that the partner of Superman isn't a big name (Batman) or a Justice League founder (Green Lantern, Flash) but a rather obscure Golden Age-era character - even though he doesn't do much for most of the episode because he's having one of those "tired of the fight, no longer wants to get involved" crisises, which may feel like a tired clichee but his change of mind kinda makes sense. The being (named Karkull) looks very Cthulhu-like and wants to turn humans into demons at his service, resulting in the people working at the Daily Planet - including Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane - being turned into bizarre creatures with unique and creative designs. 

• Like 3