What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

I just started watching ZeroZeroZero on Amazon Prime. 

I started watching it while doing the treadmill, I only got to the beginning of the 2nd episode. 

Anyone else see this or is currently watching it?

• Like 2

On 4/6/2020 at 4:39 AM, SMK said:

I just started watching ZeroZeroZero on Amazon Prime. 

I started watching it while doing the treadmill, I only got to the beginning of the 2nd episode. 

Anyone else see this or is currently watching it?

Thanks for the heads up! Started watching this and now already at epsiode five. It's highly addictive (no pun intended). The production value is incredible, from all the different locations, the actors, the stunts. Not to mention it's pretty damn violent at times. I hope they can keep the pace until the final episode. To my understanding this will acutally wrap up, right? We don't have to wait for another year or so to have closure. Superb series!

• Like 1

Bad Guys (TV series) with Ma Dond-seok, Kim Sang-joong, Park Hae-jin, Jo Dong-hyuk & Kang Ye-won.

The Assignment with Michelle Roqriguez & Sigourney Weaver.

Angel Has Fallen I missed that one in the theater.

Blood Father Mel Gibson kicking butt. That was a re-watch for me.

The Girl With All The Gifts  I have the Blu-ray & digital of that movie but I sometimes stop to watch it whenever I come across it playing on a platform.

Rugal, Coffee & Kareem, The Decline, Dab Guys: Vile City, Hold The Dark, Possessed/Possession (Korean TV series), The K2 (re-watch as I originally saw it with "messed" up subs), American Assassin & The Witcher are on the top of my list to watch this week unless something else comes along.

• Like 2

Elephant (2003)

Loosely based on the columbine massacre. It's a slow (some say boring) movie. Basically you just follow students daily life until the last 10 minutes... chilling!

Napoleon Dynamite (2004)

How I missed this comedy gem is beyond me. Akward and funny! And for the MA enthusiast... Rex Kwan Do :laugh

Les Miserables (2019)

Follows a rookie cop who just joined a anti crime brigade (banlieue). Tension are high after a failed arrest and things are getting out of control quickly. Shocking & Gripping!

La Paranza dei Bambini (2019)

The rise of youth gangs in naples. Unfortunately a very real problem. They used amateur actors from the neighbourhood for the movie, providing a sense of realism. Combines the naivety of youth without perspective and the hunger for recognition (power) incredibly well.

• Like 1

Master with OK Fingers

My family and I have been in lockdown for a while now and we just watched the entire MCU, all 23 films in chronological order. 👍

• Like 3

On April 17, 2020 at 9:42 AM, Master with OK Fingers said:

My family and I have been in lockdown for a while now and we just watched the entire MCU, all 23 films in chronological order. 👍

holy shit, Ive probably only seen 5 of those. Marvel with OK Fingers. I would consider that an impressive feat 

• Like 3

Master with OK Fingers
1 hour ago, Koravec said:

holy shit, Ive probably only seen 5 of those. Marvel with OK Fingers. I would consider that an impressive feat 

Thanks, I would say it was more for the kids, but that would be a blatant lie 😁

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Thanks, I would say it was more for the kids, but that would be a blatant lie 😁

Civil War was huge, held off too long watching it. Better than any avengers movie tho not seen Endgame. Lost interest after lame Infinity War....

81WkrD1iZvL._SL1500_.jpg

^Revisit, thought it was better but just average movie. Car chases are excellent and so is opening with 3 convicts escaping. It dragged surprisingly much on dialogue and despite cover main character did not use gun much, unfortunately.

• Like 3

Master with OK Fingers
15 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Civil War was huge, held off too long watching it. Better than any avengers movie tho not seen Endgame. Lost interest after lame Infinity War....

I would say definitely watch Endgame, but if you didn't like Infinity War 🤯, then probably not worth watching. There are some great stand alone films though. If you haven't seen them, I would put forward Black Panther & Thor Ragnarok. 👍

• Like 2

I recently got a boxset with 30 movies of Buster Keaton ; I still have 9 to watch...

I also got the volume 2 of the British Musicals from the 1930's ( 4 movies), still two to watch...

• Like 3

Yesterday, I watched the movie Hot enough for June, with Dirk Bogarde and the beautiful Sylva Koscina.

Nice little movie about a naive writer who is framed by the secret services (without knowing it) to go to Prague to deliver something and is taken as a spy by the secret services in Prague.

When he finally discovers that he is an unwilling spy, he has to escape and join the British Embassy by all means.

• Like 3

This evening, I watched another British musical called Three hats for Lisa.

I must confess that I'm more familiar with American musicals and Huangmei movies, and it was a very pleasant surprise to watch this movie.

It tells the story of a Napolitan star (Lisa, played by French actress Sophie Hardy, with such beautiful blue eyes and a charming smile ; I had never heard of her until I watch this movie !) who arrives in London with her father to promote he last movie and who escapes from her agent to visit the town with an admirer of her and his two friends. She is a collector of hats that she steals, and the four young people are helped by an old taxi driver.

An very entertaining movie, full of colors and beautiful songs and ballets, with a few references to West Side Story ballets.

• Like 2

Another musical this evening : Night and day, which tells the story of Cole Porter.

Superb movie and superb songs.

Of course, I knew that Cole Porter was a composer, but I had never searched any informations about him and I was absolutely convinced that he was a Black man !! Shame on me !!

Or maybe in my mind, I was mistaken him with Nat King Cole, I don't know why this idea had always been in my mind !!

• Like 3

Recently watched the newest Rambo, which was pretty great, like an R rated adult Home Alone, as my cousin described it. 😂 

I still enjoyed Rambo 2008 more I think though.

Out of Time with Denzel Washington, which was a hell of a crime drama movie. 

Other than that, sitcoms with my wife. The last few months we’ve been watching “The Middle” which is really a great sitcom. It ran for 9 seasons and ended in 2018, so I guess it was pretty popular, but I’ve never heard of it, or heard it mentioned before I stumbled upon it on Prime (via the IMDB channel)..

Seriously though, if you like sitcoms, it’s a great one.

• Like 2

Watched Saturn 3, one of the earliest of the Alien rip-offs (alongside Alien Contamination and Inseminoid). This one has villainous Harvey Keitel setting up shop on a hydroponics research lab on one of Saturn's moons, already inhabited by a 64-year-old Kirk Douglas and his partner/lover Farrah Fawcett. Keitel builds a hulking robot, Hector, to help out with the project. Hector's artificial brain needs programming, with Keitel does using his own. However, since Keitel is an amoral, murderous, woman-objectifying scumbag, it's only logical that Hector will pick up those qualities too...Some of these earlier Alien clones are interesting in how much they don't resemble their inspiration. This one gives a nigh-indestructible monster chasing people through dark corridors in the middle of space, but all the surrounding material is different. In some ways, this feels like an inversion of The Forbidden Planet, if Walter Pidgeon and Anne Francis had been lovers and Leslie Nielsen had brought the Id Monster to Altair.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

My Dad had this documentary on VHS, it was my introduction to boxing.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

It seems that I'm in my British movies period...

I just finished to watch The Scarlet Pimpernel, with Merle Oberon and Leslie Howard, from Gone with the wind.

I Had never seen him in another movie than in Gone with the wind, and he superbly plays the righteous hero hiding his exploits under a futile rich guy appearance.

I still have to watch the sequel, but it seems that it isn't the same actors who play in it, maybe I'll be disappointed, maybe not...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

It seems that I'm in my British movies period...

I just finished to watch The Scarlet Pimpernel, with Merle Oberon and Leslie Howard, from Gone with the wind.

I Had never seen him in another movie than in Gone with the wind, and he superbly plays the righteous hero hiding his exploits under a futile rich guy appearance.

I still have to watch the sequel, but it seems that it isn't the same actors who play in it, maybe I'll be disappointed, maybe not...

I have this in my collection. Used it for research for a screenplay I was adapting a decade ago. Enjoyable flick.

• Like 3

I watched mostly some new indie films that are coming out or were just released:

Impact Event: A meteor causes a global apocalypse and a group of survivors using an abandoned carnival funhouse must defend themselves against a band of psychos who escape from prison. It is a fresh look at the apocalypse, for me I think a possibility of being more possibly realistic for the first 2/3 of the film. It stars mainly newcomers, but have cameo appearances from Vernon Wells, Richard Grieco, and Michael Berryman. 

To the Stars: A homage to 1980s coming-of-age films set in 1960s Oklahoma about the budding friendship between the new girl in town and a bullied girl. It's quite a very emotional film with lead stars Kara Hayward and Liana Liberato having great chemistry and there is a bit of a twist towards the end of the film that really is quite shocking but yet realistic at the same time. 

The Mentor: An aspiring filmmaker looks to her idol to get tips on how to become a director. However, the duo find themselves kidnapped by a band of producers in masks, who are hellbent on getting their film made with financing from said idol. There are loads of twists and turns and a shocking finale. 

For Jennifer: A woman who is a fan of the previous three Jennifer films (a horror franchise that was shot on GoPros and iPhones) decides to make a film with her bestie and boyfriend, but things don't exactly go as planned. I've never seen the others as of yet, but this was pretty good for what they used and lead star Tiffani Fest is great as the titular Jennifer. There is also a cameo from the legendary Sleepaway Camp star Felissa Rose, who co-starred in the second film, 2 Jennifer.

She's Allergic to Cats: An aspiring filmmaker who wants to make an all-cat remake of the classic Carrie, meets the girl of his dreams and their long awaited first date don't go as planned. This is done in an experimental style of film, something I haven't seen much since the 1980's, with the filmmaker getting his motivation through video art. It's not that bad of a film...just really weird. 

Double Belgian: Two buddies in upstate New York are attempting to start a brewery and may find a chance with an investor in NYC. But a high school crush may come between them and even some more shocking news about the "investor" may destroy their dream and friendship. Pretty short and sweet at 71 minutes and was actually pretty good. Was quite shocked at the finale, which reminded me of a 1980s comedy with the most messed up ending imaginable (Itself a remake of a 1970s Israeli comedy). 

Gold Dust: Two adventurers in the desert attempt to find gold and instead find a bag full of money belonging to a drug lord, who parades around via phone in his drawers all the time. He sends his top hitman, the Dancing Assassin, to find the duo and kill them....only this guy doesn't exactly kill his victims. He knocks them out and puts them in his car. Strange, but very funny! Really good for an indie adventure comedy.

Same Boat: This one the filmmakers did something insane. The story of time-traveling assassins on a cruise ship with one assassin falling for his target is done in a rom-com style and if that's not crazy enough, the film was shot guerrilla style on an actual cruise! 

We Summon the Darkness: A trio of heavy metal fans meet up with a trio of girls in a 1980s small town. The girls then kidnap the trio of guys with the intent of killing them to "cleanse" the world of anything Satanic, including heavy metal. It's insane, it's sometimes funny! Alexandra Daddario goes full Fairuza Balk-Craft throughout the performance...completely bats**t crazy!

Trouble is My Business: Tom Konkle's homage to the classic film noir genre and it is a great film about a detective on the verge of redemption who takes on the case of a woman's disappearance by teaming up (and eventually falling) for her sister. In the midst of things, he comes across a corrupt LA detective and learns that this case may have some connection to the case that destroyed his reputation. It's great and has all the film noir tropes. Konkle (who is also in the lead role) and Brittany Powell (who you may remember from 90s films To Be the Best and Airborne) showcase very good performances in the film.

Inner City Rats: 19-year old Sam Garcia Southern makes his film debut on this story of interconnecting stories of well, not so great people in the City that Never Sleeps. It's quite fun and instead of chapters, the stories are told as tracks on a record. 

• Like 2