What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Funny People II - A South African "Candid Camera" film from Jamie Uys, the director of The Gods Must Be Crazy. Hilarious pranks include Kill or Be Killed double/karateka Derrick Lotz as a man who jumps on a trampoline crashing through the ceiling, scaring temp secretaries; a moving hand on a secretary's desk, shoppers trying meatballs then learning it's dog meat (not really, its just to get reactions), and other pranks. The film has an early appearance by future Mummy Arnold Vosloo as a victim of a prank alongside Kill and Kill Again's Hot Dog, Bill Flynn, being the victim of the same prank.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons - In my opinion, the weakest of the series so far. I felt like it loses its focus and veers off into boring territory here and there. It's saved by some of the best action of the series late in the film but everything that comes before is overly convoluted for a bunch of films that have been very simple up until now. Daigoro's side story about him keeping a promise to a pickpocket has meaning but the telling of his tale is a bit tedious.

• Like 2

Hmm....

1- "The Mothman Prophecies" (2002) Really good movie. But then, Richard Gere seems to be good it most things he's in. 

2- "Dark Water" (2005) Pretty good movie, but the ending was kind of depressing. 

3- "Johnny Mnemonic" (1995) I'm  a fan of Keanu Reeves, so I decided to check this movie out. It was pretty good. I like the Cyberpunk setting and the protagonist were likable. So yeah, other than some clunky-looking fights, it was good. 

4- "Cloverfield" (2008) Awesome movie! Only problem I had was the camera shaking like crazy made me get motion sickness at times. But other than that, pretty damn good! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JackieChan said:

A lot of Rifftrax

"Oh great, my soap sounds like a movie hooker" LMAO!!! :yociexp115:

• Like 1

Hmm....

1- "The Princes Bride" (1987) Fantastic movie! Easy one of my new favorites. 

2- " The Hitcher" (2007) Oh my God, this movie was frigging amazing! Sean Bean easily stole the show, but everyone did a great job. I had a really fun time watching this movie. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Rocket Man - A very good film that was ruined slightly by my lack of knowledge when it comes to Elton John's discography. Most of the music didn't grab me because I was unfamiliar with it. However, his life story makes for a good movie experience. Lots of highs, lots of lows. A fun watch but not one I'd re-visit any time soon.

Long Shot - A surprisingly enjoyable comedy. Dare I say one of the best (comedies) of the year? Seth Rogan and Charlize Theron have great chemistry and the laughs are a-plenty. Even the bawdier stuff had me giggling like a school girl. It was also nice to see a romance angle that worked. Sure, it's over the top and highly unlikely but it was heartfelt and genuine. I liked this one a lot.

The Magicians - I've only seen the first episode. And while it felt rushed and almost manic at times, I liked all the magic stuff. I'm definitely going to be watching episode two.

• Like 2

Finally got around to binging all 6 episodes of 'Kingdom' on Netflix - (Korean zombie series) - Really, really entertaining! steller acting from the always watchable Doona Bae and lead actor Ju JI Hoon.

Offered a pretty fresh take on zombies ( they appear dead through the daytime, come awake after dark - which i'd never seen in anything zombie related before but gave lots of opportunities for tension inducing sunsets) - lots of Royal family related corruption and political manipulations as the backdrop which sounds pretty dull as I type it but was really compelling to watch, only 6 episodes in the series so flew by pretty quickly.

Highly recommend it, we're looking forward to Season2 in 2020.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Hmm....

2- " The Hitcher" (2007) Oh my God, this movie was frigging amazing! Sean Bean easily stole the show, but everyone did a great job. I had a really fun time watching this movie. 

Rutger Hauer :cool

hitcher.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JackieChan said:

Rutger Hauer :cool

hitcher.jpg

Nice! I'll have have to check it out. I didn't realize that the 2007 was a remake. 

• Like 1

I've been gone for quite a while, so I'll chronicle the things I've watched since then.

Shaft- I loved this movie. It's not the greatest movie in the world, but everyone in the theaters had a kick out of it. The intro was on fire!!!! I did not like how did they the OST dirty at the end of the movie. Note: Do not watch this film if you are an SJW!!!

John Wick 3- Awesome movie. A bit overrated, but I liked it much better than the second one. Keanu's skills on-screen have gotten a hell of a lot better for the past couple of years. I really liked the tone the movie had.

Godzilla: King of Monsters- Oh no they didn't! They had most monsters in this movie. Mothra left me amazed. I didn't get the plan of Vera Farmiga but oh well, survival of the fittest? Overall, it was a solid film.

Dark Phoenix- ...

Annabelle Comes Home- Enjoyed this one. People kept advertising it was a movie on Ed and Lorraine but it centers more around their daughter, Judy. I have an unpopular opinion here with this one because I really liked it. I enjoyed it as much as the previous installment. They paid an homage to 70s intros with the credit scene in this one. Also, you get to see Ed briefly sing Elvis as the movie ends. There is also a quick mention honoring Ms. Warren's passing.

Spider-Man: Far From Home- Awesome movie. You know, I really didn't like Tom Holland as Spider-Man at first (I'm a Tobey Maguire guy, still am he's my fav) but he grew on me with this one. Mysterio was used just right in here. They put a spin on the character too (no spoilers) and even put a twist in the ending (STILL NO SPOILERS).

The Lion King- I'm a huge fan of the original, but I went in there with an open mind. We had fun watching it but my major gripe was how they replaced Jeremy Irons as Scar. I am a fan of Chiwetel Ejiofor, but he could not hold up as Scar. I tried, with an open mind to watch him play it, but it was nowhere as good as Jeremy Irons. You don't believe me? If you go to watch or seen it already, here's the hint...LONG LIVE THE KING. Yeah I didn't like that.

Last but not least....

Person of Interest- I binge-watched this show to its entirety, and all I have to say is, it's worth the watch. They outdid themselves with this show. The characters, the plot, the cinematography, the music (They played Welcome to the Machine), everything just fits together like a puzzle. Out of all the episodes of all 5 seasons, there was only 1 episode that I didn't think held up too well, but it worked in its own way. I definitely recommend giving this show a watch, especially if you are a coder.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell - A very, very good way to end the series. I have my gripes: those three supernatural-ish dudes died far too easily and Ottami kept using guns in this outing. That hardly falls in line with the samurai code.

But beyond these issues, I loved this film. The snowy ending was fantastic and it ended well, despite being a bit frustrating.

All in all, I’m a massive fan of this series. I’m very proud to have them on my shelf.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell - A very, very good way to end the series. I have my gripes: those three supernatural-ish dudes died far too easily and Ottami kept using guns in this outing. That hardly falls in line with the samurai code.

But beyond these issues, I loved this film. The snowy ending was fantastic and it ended well, despite being a bit frustrating.

All in all, I’m a massive fan of this series. I’m very proud to have them on my shelf.

I love this one too! The intro and the end fight is worth the money alone

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell - That hardly falls in line with the samurai code.

Ogami abandoned way of the samurai when vengeance against yagyu begun and he&daigoro entered to meifumado(way of the demons and damnation). In comics he uses often very unorthodox tactics, would not get him any fair play awards..

Paperbacks tell story better and more of his character is explained but flicks are still fun entertainment.

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 2

Running man. Been too many years since viewed Arnold on the run. Definitely in top5 of Big A. Action is fine and story good. However I think dialogue could have been tad better. It`s not on a level of Commando. Some parts of sarcasm and black humour is still excellent tho. However it may lose something in translation, no english subs in scandinavian dvd and aspect is only 1.33:1 so might look out for br of runner...

MovieBeards-BenRichards.png

• Like 3

Eveything I have is yours

Superb musical comedy with the couple Marge and Gower Champion. I love them !

I discovered them in the movie Give a girl a break with Debbie Reynolds years ago on TV and I decided to build a collection of their movies together.

I know that they divorced after 26 years of marriage, so sad. I recently found clips on youtube with Marge Champion at around 90 years old !

In this movie, there is a superb musical number called Casbah and even if the movie was horrible, it would be worth wtching it just for this number !

• Like 2

I guess that I must be in my musicals period...

:bs_smile:

The affairs of Dobie Gillis

So, as I said, another musical with Debbie Reynolds, Bobby Van and Bob Fosse.

When I first heard about Bob Foss, it was when he directed his movie All that jazz and, maybe I'm the only one, but I must confess that I didn't like this movie very much. It was too different from the musicals I was used to.

However, when I discovered Bob Fosse in Give a girl a break years ago, I decided to track down his other movies as an actor and dancer and I love his musical numbers. He has his own particular style that fits him very well.

And on the same evening, I watched...

My sister Eileen

With Janet Leigh, Betty Garett, Jack Lemmon and Bob Fosse.

I couldn't help but laugh very loud at some funny scenes ! Betty Garett is excellent as the older sister who think that every man is only after her beautiful sister and the conga scenes are so funny and excellent !!

• Like 2

The Boys - Season 1  - Streaming on Amazon Prime.

Based ( pretty closely) on Volume 1 of Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson's excellent Graphic Novel of the same name, we just binged our way through all 8 episodes of this over two nights.

A really, really compelling show and a great remedy to anybody getting somewhat fatigued by the Disney-fication of the MCU.

Story definitely takes center place here over VFX ( which there is still a fair amount of but all pretty well handled)

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, I'll keep this mostly spoiler free, but essentially its a very Watchmen-esque take on Superheroes and the anti-heroes out to take them all down.

The 'Superheroes' in the Boys are (mostly) all corporate backed, massively flawed and utterly obnoxious - all pretty close approximations of existing Marvel and DC characters,

'Homelander'  a very self righteous mix of Captain America and Superman

'Queen Maive' - a nod towards Wonder Woman

'A Train ' -  Essentially The Flash

'The Deep' - Aquaman

'Translucent' - The Invisible Man

Black Noir - Snake eyes from GI Joe

'lamplighter' - Green Lantern basically -  we never really see this one, but he's made reference to as he has just died and is to be replaced by....

Starlight - The one and only decent person amongst the group - newly recruited to the Seven..

All are given quite a twist into a way, way darker territories and all in all a pretty nasty group of individuals, presented as the 'Seven' they routinely appear on TV promoting heavily branded merchandise and are expected to all serve their corporate masters in every regard.

Facing off against them are the 'Boys' (led by good ol' Judge Dredd himself.... ) Karl Urban as Butcher, the group leader ( I think trying to do his best British accent, but still sounding very New Zealand throughout) who is joined in episode 1 by rather unwilling new recruit Little Hughey ( played extremely well by Jack Quaid, who I'd personally not seen in anything before, think he is in the Hunger Games)  he reluctantly joins forces with Butcher ( and the other two Boys, Weapons expert 'Frenchie' and ex army black ops operative 'Mothers Milk') after a member of the Seven causes the death of his girlfriend Robin.

I don't want to give too much away as i feel going into the show with as little pre-knowledge of the universe it creates will be a plus, but I absolutely can't recommend it highly enough.

Well, well worth a binge watch!

It was greenlight for season2 before it even aired, very intrigued to see where it goes, and its easily Amazon's strongest show to date.

10/10

the-boys-trailer-new.jpg

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

The Boys - I’m only five episodes in but this really is a breath of fresh air. Crude and brutal in places but the show presents great characters and a truly original plot. And that airplane scene? One of the most memorable I’ve seen in a long time.

Chappelle Show - A truly iconic comedy show. Revisiting the first season, it isn’t quite as funny as the second but there are some truly memorable skits. The black Klansman sketch still makes me feel awkward.

Smashed - As an alcoholic myself, I’m comfortable saying this is one of the better films about alcohol addiction out there. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is dazzling and the story both harrowing and lifting. There’s also a few laughs in there.

• Like 3

Caught on some horror flicks I haven't seen in a long while over the weekend:

Leprechaun - the original 1992 classic. Warwick Davis was totally great in the film as the titular monster. It now brings a bit of curiosity to see how Linden Porco does it in the recently released Leprechaun Returns, which retcons all the Davis-starred sequels.

The Gate - I loved this film as a pre-teen. A young Stephen Dorff discovers the gate to Hell in his own backyard, only fueled by Louis Tripp's heavy metal album. The mini-demons actually made me laugh and I actually wish I had a figure of the demon LOL. Tripp only returned for a 1991 sequel, Gate II, which I only had seen bits and pieces of.

Sometimes They Come Back...Again - a Rated-R sequel to a made-for-TV movie based on a Stephen King story. The highlight of the film is the late Alexis Arquette as lead villain Tony Reno, who sacrificed the lead character's sister 30 years ago and returns to haunt the lead's teen daughter (a young Hilary Swank). Gruesome deaths with Arquette giving one-liners now and again. Best death: A girl gets tarot cards thrown at her like darts!

• Like 2

Cat 0`Nine Tails. Man is pushed to front of train and photographer manages to take snapshof of it and investigation begins....Early Dario Argento giallo is rareish one as people(+viewer) who want to catch killer have quite good impression of what his motives are....I do not remember how morricone score was but hardly weak, likely just good background music...

No Country for old men. Coen brothers directed one of best from book to film adaptions ever...At the outcome of shootout involving mexican drug dealers man finds bag of money and gets killer after him....Flawless movie..ok, maybe one small one. In scene where killer talks to shopkeeper it ends too soon, in book after talk is over cashier then realizes how close to getting killed he was, that is not shown here. Just the dialogue which is terrific...

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 8/5/2019 at 7:16 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The Boys - I’m only five episodes in but this really is a breath of fresh air. Crude and brutal in places but the show presents great characters and a truly original plot. And that airplane scene? One of the most memorable I’ve seen in a long time.

Chappelle Show - A truly iconic comedy show. Revisiting the first season, it isn’t quite as funny as the second but there are some truly memorable skits. The black Klansman sketch still makes me feel awkward.

Smashed - As an alcoholic myself, I’m comfortable saying this is one of the better films about alcohol addiction out there. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is dazzling and the story both harrowing and lifting. There’s also a few laughs in there.

Is the boy based on the comic book? Should i read the source material first? Is it horror?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Is the boy based on the comic book? Should i read the source material first? Is it horror? 

Scroll further up the page for more info on the Boys,

yes, it's based on a comic book....by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson.

not really horror.

You don't have to read the source material first.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

The Boys ended up being awful. It starts strong and the more I watched, the more bored I got. By the end, I was practically in tears with how little everyone does. I've never done such a large one-eighty on a show before. I don't recommend it.

• Like 4