What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Tex Killer

Massage parlor murders. Killer slays massage girls and detectives are working to catch him....Very disappointing, it does not deliver either sleaze or gore. Most actors are quite bad too...It however has one quite good car chase, tho could be bit longer...into recycle pile without hesitation.

tenebre. Killer is around and he may has picked ideas from book Tenebre and writer is helping in investigation...Many think this is Argentos best and while not agree that it`s ok movie with some great camerawork and ok music. I think would have liked this re-visit more if italian audio but br I have has just english track.

whirpool. Photomodel ends up to house of young photographer and older woman and starts to feel something is not right....Maybe first Jose Larraz movie I have seen and it was not bad. Has atmosphere at times but maybe too much film is spent on nudity. However watching gorgeous vivian neves in those scenes is not exactly boring.

MV5BZTg0MWM0OTUtNDhjYi00OWRhLWFmNDEtN2Vk

Miami vice season 4. Has lot more variety in storylines than earlier seasons...some more experimental scripts are great some just plain stupid.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

The Handmaid's Tale - The much raved about show was off my radar for a long time simply because I didn't think it was my thing. Turns out it's very much my thing. It's as depressing as fuck but the first episode had me riveted. Intrigue, drama, suspense...even some romance. I'm only about six episodes deep and I'm loving every minute of it.

Street Kings - David Ayer's often forgot about cop thriller. This time Keanu Reeves is in the saddle and he does excellent work. It's a grim tale spun with enough mystery to propel it forward. Top notch performances make for a solid little watch. It might not be up there with End of Watch but it certainly makes me want to revisit Sabotage and Harsh Times.

A Walk Among the Tombstones - An average serial killer thriller starring Liam Neeson. It meanders a little bit and the tension isn't thick and fast like it should be. It's further proof that Hollywood has lost the ability to make a really good serial killer film. Gone are the days of Se7enThe Silence of the Lambs and even Kiss the Girls. This one is perfectly watchable but it's not going to blow your hair back.

Independence Day - An ironic 4th of July watch. Hadn't seen it in years. And I'll be damned if I wasn't surprised! It's overly long and the cheese is overwhelming but, all in all, it's thoroughly enjoyable. Even if the special effects are dated. A fun, end of the world alien film with big explosion and a cigar chomping Will Smith.

Annabelle - I hate to say it but this did nothing for me. And I like the two The Conjuring movies. The scares were lame, the concept of the doll was silly and it all became a bit of a bore. I've heard the film's sequels are much better and I'm on a horror kick right now so hopefully they'll entertain. But this one? Not worth the rental.

• Like 2

massa_yoda
10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Annabelle - I hate to say it but this did nothing for me. And I like the two The Conjuring movies. The scares were lame, the concept of the doll was silly and it all became a bit of a bore. I've heard the film's sequels are much better and I'm on a horror kick right now so hopefully they'll entertain. But this one? Not worth the rental.

It’s true, Annabelle Creation is much more interesting.  I thought The Nun was pretty decent too,

Drunken Monk
10 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

It’s true, Annabelle Creation is much more interesting.  I thought The Nun was pretty decent too,

The Nun is on HBO. I’m definitely going to give it a watch.

Drunken Monk

Chernobyl - A grim yet addictive account of what happened during the notorious nuclear power plant explosion in Russian. Fantastic acting and amazing cakes with harrowing drama. I can see why everyone’s talking about this.

My Cousin Vinny - I’m not sure how I’d missed this gem before. It’s not quite full comedy and not quite full drama. It’s just this pitch perfect courtroom movie. Marissa Tomei absolutely steals the show.

Lone Wolf & Cub: Sword of Vengeance - I’d only ever seen Shogun Assassin so I’m super excited about seeing the “proper” versions of these films. I liked this one FAR more than I expected too. Not only is the action amazing but the story, flashbacks and characters are all great.

• Like 4

DragonClaws

The Virtues(2019) Shane Meadow's - Mini-Series: Joseph falls into despair when his nine-year-old son leaves for Australia with his ex. Sufffering the hangover from hell, he walks away from his present life and boards a boat bound for Ireland to confront memories from his childhood - IMDB. Packed with some excellent performances. This dark short British series starring top actor Graham Chapman(Capone) is far from easy viewing. Co-written and directed by accliamed Director Shane Meadow's(Dead Man's Shoes). The pace might be too plodding for some, but it's not down to poor story telling or incompetent direction. With a gradual buil to a tension filled finale. This is by no means light viewing, and delivers a knock out emotional punch straight to your gut. Accompanied by PJ Harveys unqiu,e original soundtrack. Which fits the visuals perfectly. Actors Niamh Algar, Mark O'Halloran, Helen Behan to highlght just a few. For Behan this was her first starring role, after the former nurse had a chance meeting with the Director Shane Meadow's. As well made as this series is, it's not something I want to sit through again. This is by no means a critical knock either.

Helen Behan, the nurse who became the star of Shane Meadows’ The Virtues: ‘It was my carpe diem moment’

Link- https://inews.co.uk/culture/the-virtues-helen-behan-shane-meadows-interview-channel-4/

Helen Behan, in a scene from the series.

DSC03417-1-960x640.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Chernobyl because everyone on earth is watching it apparently.

Martial Law (It's a cop show, right 😉)

Crystal Maze because it's weird and wonderful.

Lately random documentaries or interviews that take my fancy on youtube and others lol.  Got one with Michelle Yeoh lined up for later.

The bald and bankrupt channel on youtube.  Recommend a watch of his 'drinking vodka in a soviet apartment' video.  I found that quite an amusing medley of wtf.

Frankly I watch a fair amount.  Don't wanna be here all day lol.

• Like 2

Tex Killer
12 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Lone Wolf & Cub: Sword of Vengeance - I’d only ever seen Shogun Assassin so I’m super excited about seeing the “proper” versions of these films. I liked this one FAR more than I expected too. Not only is the action amazing but the story, flashbacks and characters are all great.

While american editors did fairly good job with Shogun Assassin it`s more like action scene after another than  movie with a good story unlike sword of vengeance and river styx. It`s been ages since saw SA but  recall some dialogue was altered in dub and it probably made sense so storyline did not have that much unfinished feeling in the end.

All movies are worth seeing, prefer lightning swords of death most. Comics still overcome movies and tv series...

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
45 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

While american editors did fairly good job with Shogun Assassin it`s more like action scene after another than  movie with a good story unlike sword of vengeance and river styx. It`s been ages since saw SA but  recall some dialogue was altered in dub and it probably made sense so storyline did not have that much unfinished feeling in the end.

All movies are worth seeing, prefer lightning swords of death most. Comics still overcome movies and tv series...

I have the Criterion box-set so will make my way through all of them. I'll probably watch the second film tomorrow night. I do feel that Shogun Assassin has its merits. It may not capture the more meditative tone of the original films but as a Grindhouse hack 'em up film, it's pretty great.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Stranger Things Season 3 - I'm going to go against critics and say this was my favourite season. Has much more of a The Goonies feel to it...more adventure. I like that they departed from the dark tone of the previous series and made things simpler. Plus, it ended perfectly (bad the mid-credits scene). I hope they don't make a season 4.

• Like 3

Tex Killer
9 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I do feel that Shogun Assassin has its merits. It may not capture the more meditative tone of the original films but as a Grindhouse hack 'em up film, it's pretty great.

Soundtrack in SA is terrific..

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 1

Tex Killer

slipelim_800x.jpg?v=1501071642

Never rented this as vhs even as planned often so had to get 88 release years later. Meh, waste of money and time....Group in the picture hunt scientist who can travel in time..or something, very dull flick and did not concentrate to story that much.

It has Conan Lee in cast but so underused..takes hour before he appears and just few brief moments with nunchaku, sword and some kicks is all martial arts action given.

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 3

Drunken Monk

Puzzle - A seemingly overlooked film. Kelly Macdonald plays a sheltered housewife who finds escape in puzzles and, eventually, partnering up with Irrfan Khan to tackle a puzzle competition. Sounds boring but isn't. It's a wonderful exploration of family dynamics, relationships and personal freedom. Macdonald is fantastic and the film is filled with both tender moments and heartbreaking angst. I highly recommend it to those fond of family dramas.

• Like 4

On 7/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Puzzle - A seemingly overlooked film. Kelly Macdonald plays a sheltered housewife who finds escape in puzzles and, eventually, partnering up with Irrfan Khan to tackle a puzzle competition. Sounds boring but isn't. It's a wonderful exploration of family dynamics, relationships and personal freedom. Macdonald is fantastic and the film is filled with both tender moments and heartbreaking angst. I highly recommend it to those fond of family dramas.

You make it sound like a western Tokyo Sonata.  Or maybe that's just me getting reminded of that when reading it lol.  I feel compelled to check it out now.

Edited by Burnout29

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, Burnout29 said:

You make it sound like a western Tokyo Sonata.  Or maybe that's just me getting reminded of that when reading it lol.  I feel compelled to check it out now.

I haven't see Tokyo Sonata but I read a quick synopsis and it definitely has a "keeping a secret from the family" connection with Puzzle.

Ping !

https://www.amazon.fr/Ping-VHS-Judge-Reinhold/dp/B00005LIRJ

I couldn't help but laugh and laugh again when I watched it ! I had already saw it in French on TV, and I finally found a dvd, but only in English language and I had to use the English subtitles to be able to follow it due to the dubbers accents.

I love this chihuaha who struggles to save his mistress' money alone against two absolutely stupid robbers !!

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx - While the second of the series increases the violence (which I loved), I don’t think it’s a better film than the first. It’s overly artsy in places and, for me, it didn’t have the same “classic” feel as Sword of Vengeance. They’re two very different beasts.

With that said, I adored the film. Fantastic visuals, top-notch action and some very memorable characters. I’m looking forward to the rest of the series since my pre-knowledge of the films ends here. If they continue to be this good, this may very well be one of the best film franchises of all time.

• Like 2

In the last week or so...

Stranger Things Season 3 - binged over two nights - on a par with season 1 for me, maybe even enjoyed it a little more...definitely way stronger than Season 2 imho  and put us on a David Harbour tip so watched...

Hellboy 2019 just after - but that in turn made me nostalgic for Del Toro's versions so followed it up with Hellboy and Hellboy2 -  The Golden Army

Look Out Officer - Stephen Chow's 1990 madcap comedy for Shaw Brothers - also starring the incredible Bill Tung ( I knew him mostly as Uncle Bill in the Police Story movies)

Tiger On The Beat - Lau Kar Leung's excellent 1988 film starring Conan Lee and Chow Yun Fat, with Lau Ka Fei ( Gordon Liu with a truly awful 80's haircut, still love him in this though) with a spectacular Chainsaw fight finale (and some pretty awful treatment throughout of lead Actress Nina Li Chi  - who later went on to become Jet Li's wife)

No reservations / Parts Unknown / The Layover - various episodes of Anthony Bourdain's shows over the years

Australian Masterchef - the most recent season thats on Amazon Prime, think its from 2016...

Think that's the only non-kung fu bits and pieces..

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Hades - The weakest of the first three films, in my opinion. But still very good. I think the final moments with the dying samurai and execution are fantastic. There’s some plodding moments here and there but when the action picks up, it’s typically gruesome and enjoyable.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Hades - The weakest of the first three films, in my opinion. But still very good. I think the final moments with the dying samurai and execution are fantastic. There’s some plodding moments here and there but when the action picks up, it’s typically gruesome and enjoyable.

In the land of the demons is fav, superb one. As you have by now seen there are "ministories" in movies not connected to yagyu vendetta, they appeared in comics also.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Stranger Things Season 3 - I'm going to go against critics and say this was my favourite season. Has much more of a The Goonies feel to it...more adventure. I like that they departed from the dark tone of the previous series and made things simpler. Plus, it ended perfectly (bad the mid-credits scene). I hope they don't make a season 4.

I thought this was my favorite season so far, hopefully they don’t wait as long to make Season 4.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
8 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

In the land of the demons is fav, superb one. As you have by now seen there are "ministories" in movies not connected to yagyu vendetta, they appeared in comics also.

Yeah, it’s always a case of him accepting assassinations while being pursued. It’s a nice plot set up.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Point Blank - A piss poor effort by Netflix. I enjoy both Anthony Mackie and Frank Grillo but this one’s just a bore. Nowhere near as good as it should have been, all things considered. I made it until the end but only just.

If Beale Street Could Talk - A masterpiece in film making. Gorgeously shot, perfectly acted. I’m not sure why I waited to watch this one considering I enjoyed Moonlight so much. A sad but optimistic tale set against the backdrop of severe racial tension.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril - A fantastic entry to the series. Pretty action packed. It emphasizes the bond between Ottami and Daigoro and gives us new, interesting characters. The last thirty minutes or so are a joy.

• Like 2