What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Drunken Monk

A massively overlooked horror, it seems. In fact, it's one of the best films I've seen this year. Dark, intriguing, original, well acted...it's an absolute treat. If you're a horror fan but like your "haunting" films a little different, I highly recommend this one. It might not be the scariest thing you'll see this year, but it's wonderfully mysterious. It's on US Netflix right now.

Untitled.png

• Like 1

91hACjoVA8L._SL1500_.jpg

^Several think this is best of quartet but I like part 1 more. Return has lot more action but loses in atmosphere little bit and think some characters were scripted bit too silly. This time lights team were not up to standard of first movie at times was bit hard to see what was going on and lots of night scenes in flick. Good, but can`t say is it even 2nd best of 4 before revisit last movies.

B00YJ0YC0Q_800x.png?v=1438602855

And yet again revisit, should start to watch new stuff soon....Very clever giallo which features hanged&slashed xxx dolls, greed twin brother and illness of the mind with coll and twist. Directing is great, some locations are great and intense atmosphere....only average thing in movie is ennio morricones soundtrack, it`s not bad but he has done many times lot better..

• Like 2

DragonClaws
7 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

only average thing in movie is ennio morricones soundtrack, it`s not bad but he has done many times lot better..

Thats not something you read every day, an average Ennio Morricone soundtrack.

Hey @Tex Killer, have you watched the Italian horror film Fifve For Hell(1969)?.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Hey @Tex Killer, have you watched the Italian horror film Fifve For Hell(1969)?.

Does it have any alternate title or do you remember director? I Cannot recall atm any horror but many movies are released under different names..

• Like 1

DragonClaws
4 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Does it have any alternate title or do you remember director? I Cannot recall atm any horror but many movies are released under different names..

Sorry dude, got you looking for a horror that doesnt exist. I meant the Itlaian War movie, with Klause Kinski as the German general.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Sorry dude, got you looking for a horror that doesnt exist. I meant the Itlaian War movie, with Klause Kinski as the German general.

Ahh, that one. It was available on here as vhs..to answer your question I am not sure did I ever rent it. From dvd certainly have not seen it but perhaps from tape...Such a long time from those days, can`t remember now..

tumblr_p2e74k80aW1sh2woeo1_1280.jpg

• Like 2

Rodolphe Dux
54 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thats not something you read every day, an average Ennio Morricone soundtrack.

Five for Hell is a great war movie by Gianfranco Parolini, who is also the director of Sabbata, hence great action scenes. Personally I’d take anything with Klaus Kinsky and Gianni Garko 😁

• Like 3

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, Tex Killer said:

Ahh, that one. It was available on here as vhs..to answer your question I am not sure did I ever rent it. From dvd certainly have not seen it but perhaps from tape...Such a long time from those days, can`t remember now..

28 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

Five for Hell is a great war movie by Gianfranco Parolini, who is also the director of Sabbata, hence great action scenes. Personally I’d take anything with Klaus Kinsky and Gianni Garko 😁

Here are some quick thoughts, I wrote down about the movie.

It's the only Italian war movie I've ever watched, dpesite seeing a lot of older Horror/Western's from the country.

Five for Hell(1969) - Low budget Elsio Studios World War 2 themed actioner, starring an eye twitching Klause Kinksi, John Garko and Margeret Lee. Filmed entirely on location in Italy. Directed by Gianfrnaco Parolini, credited here as Frank Kramer. John Garko(Sartana) was an established spagehtti Western star, when he made this Dirty Dozen style war fick. English actress Margeret Lee, plays the German Helger Richter. Lee spent her career being a leady lay in mostly Italian films?. Garko's plays honorable American Lt Glenn Hoffman, who puts together a unique fighting force. That doesnt consists of crminals or highly trained soliders. No instead, he drives around in his jeep picking up all the Military odbballs and non comformist's. The teams mission is to get some secret Nazi war plans, that are held up in a safe in some Itlain villa. Ony the Villas owned by one of the cruelest and most feard SS offices Col Han's Muller(Kinski). Kinski steals the film, as the sadistic chain smoking Colonel.

Recommended to fans of Itlain action cinema from the 1960's. There's no shortage of creativity and plenty of energy in the performances. They clearly didnt have much money to play with, but the cast appeared to be having a lot of fun with this one. Don't expect much in the way of Political correctness either. With the word Kraut usually yelled just before some German soldiers get machined gunned down. It's all accompanied by both and up-beat and meloncholy Italiann style soundtrack by Elsio Manucuso.

• Like 2

Tex Killer

2 revisits of flicks saw first time very long time ago...

Donnie Brasco. Bit below average story of FBI agent infiltrating into mob. Script is not tight enough, it takes over hour before it starts to get interesting save couple of scenes before that. Johnny Depp may not be a bad actor but as agent he is not very convincing, no looks or screen energy enough for such role. Miscast is also case with Al Pacino, I have seen him play only strong characters so role as somewhat loser at the lower branch of mafia tree does not fit him well. High quality acting tho but not his type of character. But reliable Michael Madsen certainly earned his paycheck as Sonny Black, tough gang boss. For his sake 2 hours not wasted but I think never watch 3rd time.

Devils advocate. Another movie with Al Pacino who is head of law firm and wants winning lawyer Keanu Reeves to join them which he obviously does. Could have done without supernatural parts but it`s good movie and both actors do well. Pacino is in role tailored for him displaying evil charisma.

both were charity shop finds 50c/each so can say it was worth to watch them again even as not keep discs but take them back to circulation.

• Like 2

Rodolphe Dux

All the movies by S. Craig Zahler, my favorite remains Brawl in Cell Block 99, even if bone tomahawk is excellent. One of the few director who resists the PC censorship & propaganda, remarkable work.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Shock Wave - An, at times, oddly paced thriller but, ultimately, a solid outing from Herman Yau. The film takes a while to find its footing but once the tunnel shenanigans kick off, it all falls into place.

I thought the moment with the young cop in the explosive vest was fantastic and Andy Lau puts in a really good performance. 

It is marred by some annoying CGI. A lot of annoying CGI, actually. But it’s forgivable. The final showdown is an excellent slice of action in a really original setting. It works really well.

A C+ film. Enjoyable but definitely not one I’ll be itching to revisit.

• Like 2

Tex Killer

vikings_-_season_5_vol_1_blu-ray_nordic-

Didn`t care much for season 4 and first episodes suggested this will be even weaker..Brits were scripted remarkably stupid in york battles...But evetually it started to get interesting..Lots going on with power battle against brothers of Ragnar and Floki searching new territory and viking even enter sicily for short visit as place is dangerous for their health...

Really looking forward to 2nd part of #5 on br and may even buy it for RRP immediately then instead if waiting a while for price drop.

• Like 2

rootwood-still.jpg?w=816

Rootwood (2018)
Two podcast hosts are hired by a Hollywood producer to film a documentary about a monster known as the Wooden Devil, who is believed to be hiding out in the Rootwood Forest. The tension builds up and the scares are there...the final 10 minutes are definitely shocking.

money-still.jpg?w=816

Money (2019)
A young stockbroker is failing miserably at his job until he meets "The Ticket", a mysterious man who has the power to change the markets. Greed becomes good until some crazy stuff happens and the kid questions his actions...yes, sounds like Wall Street and Boiler Room, but adds a bit of a twist with "The Ticket", wonderfully played by Oldboy villain Yoo Ji-tae.

roomforrent-still.jpg?w=400&h=200&crop=1

Room for Rent (2018)
Tommy Stovall, who directed the underrated indie vampire film Aaron's Blood, directed this fast-paced thriller starring the always excellent Lin Shaye (The Insidious films) as a recent widow whose loneliness inspires her to turn her house into an extended stay hotel. When Ben, a mysterious drifter in his 30s arrives, the widow becomes obsessed with him and we know where this leads. Runs at 81-minutes and has quite a few twists and turns but Shaye once again shines and shows why she is one of the best in the genre.

eyesandprize-still.jpg?w=816

Eyes and Prize (2018)
Now this is one weird movie that starts out as something you might expect in Big Brother (The reality show, not the Donnie Yen movie), but it soon becomes something more sinister for this group of roommates. A study in the depravity of the human spirit, one of these three thinks its all for the show, the other two begin to go quite insane by the film's end and there are quite a few twists in the film.

• Like 2

Tex Killer

Death Wish. Burglars raid house of Paul Kersey and during process his wife gets killed and daughter gets wounded seriously. When police does not seem to find guilty ones by coincidence Paul gets lead to thugs...

I did not like original death wish that much(of sequels 2 and 3 are better) it`s biggest problem was Bronson never get to kill people who made him became vigilante. That is not case in remake/reboot, script works better. While years have somewhat taken bit away from Willis as tough guy energy he still makes good job as surgeon became reaper.

I think deleted scenes should have been in movie too, to shed a light into plotline of police suspected Pauls brohter was vigilante.

Superb movie by Eli Roth, was nice to see remake which actually was very good. Sure to watch it again one day(I never revisited original death wish even as like Bronson a lot).

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 5/8/2019 at 6:30 AM, Tex Killer said:

Didn`t care much for season 4 and first episodes suggested this will be even weaker..Brits were scripted remarkably stupid in york battles...But evetually it started to get interesting..Lots going on with power battle against brothers of Ragnar and Floki searching new territory and viking even enter sicily for short visit as place is dangerous for their health...

Hi @Tex Killer, the Vikings took York, at least once, maybe twice or more?, I've been visiting there a lot since my childhood. They really didnt have the budget to re-create the then Captial city of England. Mel Gibson had the same issue when making Braveheart, he simply skipped over one of William Wallaces biggest victories. Anyway it was a huge walled city, with two castles's and a huge swamp keeping protecting one area. The show, like many plays with history, showing the Vikings using a different tactic to take the city. They actually came up the river ouse, which runs through the city. It wasnt until the arrival of Alfred The Great, whos story is covered in the now NetFlix owned Last Kingdom. That we thought back against the Noresmen more succesfully, however as Island we were already made up of many races. The Saxons who fought of the Vikings, were once invaders themselves.

• Like 2

Tex Killer

San Babila ore 20: un delitto inutile

Would probably have not bought this some years ago if paid more attention to plot description. Was then instant buy as released by one of my fav labels, Camera Obscura who put out mostly giallo so assumed maybe this was such too...it concentrates into life of few neo-nazis in Italy who want to take action against people who do not share same political view...not much happens in flick when it comes to action and story not fascinating either....money wasted but good thing CO titles are often OOP+wanted so have no trouble of getting rid of br.

Halloween 2018

Starts bit slowly, it takes place 40 years after 1st movie ignoring flicks 2-6, h20 and resurrection...Michael ended up to high security prison and 40 years later he has change to escape during transport and goes after Laurie...after escape it`s decent stuff tho some murders are done off-screen and viewer just sees result. Great ending , wonder if this was really last we see of Mr Myers.

Nice also to hear score in worthy movie, last one I really liked before this was #6 tho h20 was not too bad. Resurrection was awful and 2 rob zombie movies sucked too...

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

You know, I revisited From Dusk Till Dawn last night and I was gutted to discover that this film does not only not hold up, but that it's actually quite bad. Shocking really since I used to adore it. My chief complaint that it is overly silly. I get that it's meant to be but it's all just so cringe inducing. What are, undoubtedly, Robert Rodriguez' directorial choices (the band playing musical body parts) are now laughable.
The first half is still good. It has problems but it holds up. It's only when the vampires first arrive that everything goes downhill. Fred Williamson's account of killing an entire squad of Viet Cong is just painful. And there are too many moments like this.
Add in the fact that the special effects look incredibly dated. I'm sure they were great when it came out but, nowadays, I've seen 70's Lucio Fulci films with more convincing effects. I'll keep hold of the Blu Ray for nostalgia's sake but, off, this has truly become a lame duck.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
17 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

You know, I revisited From Dusk Till Dawn last night and I was gutted to discover that this film does not only not hold up, but that it's actually quite bad. Shocking really since I used to adore it. My chief complaint that it is overly silly. I get that it's meant to be but it's all just so cringe inducing. What are, undoubtedly, Robert Rodriguez' directorial choices (the band playing musical body parts) are now laughable.
The first half is still good. It has problems but it holds up. It's only when the vampires first arrive that everything goes downhill. Fred Williamson's account of killing an entire squad of Viet Cong is just painful. And there are too many moments like this.
Add in the fact that the special effects look incredibly dated. I'm sure they were great when it came out but, nowadays, I've seen 70's Lucio Fulci films with more convincing effects. I'll keep hold of the Blu Ray for nostalgia's sake but, off, this has truly become a lame duck.

Aww man thats harsh, I still enjoy this movie, even if its dated like some others of its time. Taratino might not be the worlds best actor, but he played a really convincing criminal psychotic. Never been the biggest George Clooney fan, but don't mind him in this at all. The effects were a bit ropey back then, never viewed the finale the same after watching the making of years ago. Tom Savinis ace practical effects were great to see, at time when Hollywood was pushing CGI. His cameo as Sex Machine was also pretty cool. I think the director was always going for a retro look, for me it wanted to look like an 80's film made in the late 90's. One thing that will never date for me, at least not yet, is Salma Hayeks snake dance. Always hoped we would get an UNCUT release, with MPAA cuts restored.

Never caught the many sequels or the short lived T.V series, sure its only a matter of time before Hollywood re-makes it.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
5 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Aww man thats harsh, I still enjoy this movie, even if its dated like some others of its time. Taratino might not be the worlds best actor, but he played a really convincing criminal psychotic. Never been the biggest George Clooney fan, but don't mind him in this at all. The effects were a bit ropey back then, never viewed the finale the same after watching the making of years ago. Tom Savinis ace practical effects were great to see, at time when Hollywood was pushing CGI. His cameo as Sex Machine was also pretty cool. I think the director was always going for a retro look, for me it wanted to look like an 80's film made in the late 90's. One thing that will never date for me, at least not yet, is Salma Hayeks snake dance. Always hoped we would get an UNCUT release, with MPAA cuts restored.

Never caught the many sequels or the short lived T.V series, sure its only a matter of time before Hollywood re-makes it.

That's twice I've been called harsh on these boards in a single week! Haha! Maybe I need to stop being so grouchy about things.

I actually liked Tarantino. A lot. He was very convincing and did exactly what was needed. Not sure about his vampiric turn though. He looks awful! I don't know; maybe it is meant to be a quirky throwback to 80's-style horror. A film where logic doesn't really factor in. That's fair. I just didn't, personally, enjoy it. The film feels chaotic to me. Like there were a thousand ideas being thrown around on set and they decided to do all of them.

And yes, Salma Hayek's dance, while waaaaaay too long, is a standout. She has never looked more beautiful. 

From Dusk Till Dawn did make me want to revisit Desperado though. I feel that film might hold up a little better.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
8 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

He looks awful! I don't know; maybe it is meant to be a quirky throwback to 80's-style horror.

Yeah, he looks more like Frankenstien with pinty teeth. I think they were clearly going for a tongue in cheek approach.

8 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

That's twice I've been called harsh on these boards in a single week! Haha! Maybe I need to stop being so grouchy about things.

Granted, I dont see it the same way I did when I was 16. However, it is a movie I still enjoy, when I'm in the right mood. (WARNING: Spoilers).......  Love it when the camera pans back at the end, revealing the acient aztec pyramid/truckers graveyard.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

It's Bruno! A bizarre, funny story about an ill tempered young fellow who loves his dog, maybe a little too much (not that way, but you'll see..) 

Hard to describe, but well worth a watch. 

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

I've seen quite a few movies while away, including:

The Magic Voyage of Sinbad (USSR, 1953) (DVD)

In this retelling of an old Arabian Russian tale, a hero named Sinbad Sadko frees his people from the oppression of partying, bearded rich merchants and goes on a quest to find the Blue Bird of Happiness. He'll face barbaric (war-hungry, Viking-like folks) and exotic foreigners and meet the king of the oceans (in his not-wet-under-water kingdom at the bottom of the sea) before finding out what happiness really is.

Not a bad movie, once you remove the ludicrous Sinbad thing from the American release (or is Arabia actually very Russian ?) - which thankfully the dub on my French DVD does. The communist and nationalistic agendas (did I spoil what happiness really is with that comment ?) are still here though, but I guess propaganda is part of the package with a movie that was made under Stalin.

Terror in Space AKA Planet of the Vampires (Italy/Spain/US, 1965) (theater)

A team of astronauts land on a mysterious planet where strange events occur such as crew members going insane and very agressive and dead people coming back to life. Turns out the planet is inhabited by beings (who aren't vampires) looking for a way out to a new world...

An horror/sc-fi hybrid directed by Mario Bava, this movie has very 1960s aesthetics (the astronauts' outfits look like something aliens would wear in a Toho film of that era) but is still very efficient in its execution. The planet is dark and threatening, the way the aliens work is unclear and leads to questions as to who is posessed and who isn't, and the ending is very unsettling, raising questions even on the characters we were following. One could say this film paved the way for the likes of Alien, but it could be just me. Also, the title "Planet of Vampires" is a bit deceiving as there's nothing relating to vampires here. Terror in Space is the literal translation of the original Italian title (Terrore nello Spazio) and a much more accurate title for this.

Voyage to the End of the Universe (Czechoslovakia, 1963) (theater)

In the far future of 2163 (according to summaries, I don't recall this date being specified in the movie itself), a spaceship is cruising through space, encountering various stuff and events, such as an abandonned spaceship, a crew member going nuts and some malfunctions.

A very well-made and atmospheric movie with some very good acting, solid characters and impressive effects. That robot is creepy as hell (especially when it's the only thing alive after a malfunction causes the whole crew to pass out and it roams the ship on its own). Also, nice bit of anti-capitalist propaganda with 

Spoiler

that alien spaceship that turned out to be a spaceship from that was inhabitated by people from the West who were gambling and who fought among themselves to death when air started running thin, resulting in everyone dying

. Still very worth a watch for sci-fi lovers, especially in a double feature with 2001. Speaking of, this movie feels very ahead of its time as I couldn't help but be reminded of Star Trek at points - maybe the makers saw this and picked up elements, seems Kubrick's 2001 too was influenced by this one ? Or is it a case of what Carl Gustav Jung would call synchronicity ?

2001: A Space Odyssey (UK/US, 1968) (twice in theaters)

The sci-fi classic is definitely worth a watch (and a listen, that gorgeous soundtrack never gets old) in the theater.

Castle Keep (US, 1969) (DVD)

In Nazi-occupied France during WWII, a team of American soldiers find a home in a castle that seems out of time. Protecting the castle and saving themselves seems like all they have to do, but will they succeed ?

Interesting and likeable leads, a bizarre setting with inoccupants that seem out of some period piece, some great action when battle comes, and a rather grim ending that Chang Cheh would probably approve of. Also, Peter Falk as a soldier who was initially baker and who decides to leave the army when he finds the local French village's baker left his wife and his bakery behind - cause bakers do baker's wives, right ? (yeah, this movie is a tad misogynistic too)

Anzio (Italy/USA, 1968) (DVD)

A group of American soldiers become lost during the reconquest of Italy as commanding officials refuse to march forward until the Nazis return to the unoccupied front.

Gotta love Peter Falk as a rather unorthodox soldier.

The Battle of Britain (UK, 1969) (DVD)

A very spectacular movie with a star-studded cast dealing with the aerial battle that resulted in Nazi Germany's failure to invade Britain. Plus, a nice tribute to the RAF foreign aces (Poles actually made up a big chunk of the RAF aces back then) and don't forget the film's main message - the Spitfire is a god among planes.

Run Silent Run Deep (USA, 1958) (DVD)

In this suspensful and very psychological WWII film, Clark Gable is the skipper of a submarine but his obsession over revenge on a Japanese ship that sank his previous submarine causes his crew (including his second played by Burt Lancaster) to question him and tensions build up. 

• Like 3

Tex Killer
On 5/21/2019 at 7:16 PM, DragonClaws said:

I prefer part 2 actually over original but didn`t like #3 that much. Would not be that sure it gets remake as season 1  pretty closely follows storyline of first movie tho has some new stuff also...

Still haven`t seen other seasons, always have forgotten about them when shopped in amazon.uk

• Like 3

Lets see: 

"Equilibrium" (2002) Pretty good movie. ^_^

"Rurouni Kenshin" (Live-Action Movie 2012) Awesome adaption of the manga!

"Beauty and the Beast" (Live-Action Movie 2017) Emma Watson was not very good as Belle. Everyone else was pretty good.

"Cinderella" (Live-Action Movie 2015) Awesome movie! 

"Cube" (1997) One of my favorite horror films. 

"John Wick 1 & 2" (2014 and 2017 respectably) The greatest action films ever set to film.  Cannot wait to finally see the third!

"The Sound of Music" (1965) I love Julie Andrews. ^_^

"Speed" (1994) Very good movie! Sandra Bullock has really nice legs. 😃 

"Hitman" (Movie 2007) It was okay. Nothing special. Nothing offensive. This is coming from someone that has played the games but isn't a super fan of them. 

I think that's all of them. lol

• Like 4