What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Guest raider yang

Just finished watching Jet Li's OUATIC 1-3 and will be moving on to The Green Jade Stattuette starring Chi Kuan Chun and a host of other all stars.

I hear Green Jade is a damn good flick, so I picked the dvd up a few days ago.

Guest Beat TG

Invisible Target (non-subbed): movie seems pretty bland story-wise, but the action is explosive! Benny Chan is throws everything in the mix as much as he can: shoot-outs, MA, stunts, falls etc. overall a quite decent action movie.

Guest teako170

Stranger & the Gunfighter:

Only watched the first half and was mildly disappointed with this. :|

Snake in the Crane's Shadow:

Sorry but this was CRAP! :x

Comin' Round the Mountain:

Not the best of A/C but still .. you gotta love these guys. :D

Mercs from Hong Kong:

Not great but fun to watch. Really got better once the team was assembled. 8)

Bridge on the River Kwai:

Classic film by David Lean but still prefer Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia over BOTRK. :smokin

Guest pressureworld

Nightmare in a Damaged brain A+

Milano calibro 9 A

Average White Band - Live at Montreux A

Coeur en hiver, Un aka A heart in Winter C

Adauchi AKA Revenge B

Assassination Orders D

Third Contest B

invincible sticks B+

Angel Guts C+

Secret Rivals 2 A

Sun Dragon C

Guest Cesare

Cronenberg's Crash.

I've always expected a lot from Mr. Cronenberg and he has never failed me so far... Crash is no exception - I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

The Gallery of Modern Art here is running a Buster Keaton programme right now. They're showing sweet 16mm prints of some of his best films with live organ accompaniment on a vintage Wurlitzer. Last week it was THE GENERAL, this Sunday they're showing STEAMBOAT BILL JR. For free.

Guest teako170

Good to see some activity of late in this thread. Hope it continues...

Duel of the Ultimate Weapons

Print was dark. Dubbing was hilarious. Film was average.

8 1/2

Whoa! Fellini's hodgepodge of reality, daydreams and flashbacks is not for the average moviegoer. Probably need multiple viewings to truly absorb this one.

A Better Tomorrow

Part 1. Chow Yun-Fat rocked in this. Not big on gun-fu but this movie had some soul.

Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Haven't seen in a few years so popped it in the other night. Good sequel to an incredible film. Nova is the perfect woman. Great bod and never utters a word.

Killer Clans

Shaws doing cinema right

Art of Buster Keaton - Vol IX

The silent master. "College" was the hi-light of this volume.

Samurai Fiction

Decent flick. Funny moments mixed w/ good drama.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Can Chan-wook Park be more off-the-chain?? (I actually don't care for that expression by CWP is incredible!) His films are something to be seen and after each one I rush over to the IMDB forum to help answer many questions. Hope to see this guy do much more in the future.

Guest will91XingYu

I watched Dirty sanchez the film, old school with Luke Wilson and Will Ferell. Kung fu films iv seen recently are Prodigal Boxer with Meng Fei which was pretty good and Flashpoint with Donnie Yen and Louis Koo which is now my faviroute film! That film is so awsome!

Guest TheManInWhite

Here's a few films I've watched recently:

Running Scared (non-KF) - The story involves a gun that should not be in circulation after being used to kill a cop. From some reason, the beginning reminded me of the start to Hard Boiled but not as good as HB. What follows is a series of mishaps involving a young boy, a crazed John Wayne fan, a pimp and prostitute, a too-perfect husband and wife team, a crooked detective and the mob (Italian and Russian). I really enjoyed this one.

Shanghai Girl Boxer - A plot eerily similar to Queen Boxer. Lung Chun Erh plays the role of Chia Ling as a sister in search the killer of her brother (the infamous Ma Yung Chen). She proves herself to be one tough customer. Assisted by Wen Chiang Long and a mysterious stranger known as Tramp, she hunts down the boss who ordered for Ma to be killed. I actually liked this better than Queen Boxer overall although QB has a better endfight IMO. A punch and block classic with plenty of fights.

Shaolin King Boxer - A Chen Kuan Tai indy flick. Also stars Meng Fei, Lau Kar Wing, Leung Kar Yan and Wilson Tong. A former police inspector looks to exact a bit of revenge against a ruthless gang that wipes out his family. He tracks them down to a town where the gang's looking to score big at the expense of one of the richest families in the area. A mysterious stranger (Meng Fei) though wants to get a piece of that action. CKT never disappoints me, and he definitely didn't do that here. Almost as badazz as he was in Iron Monkey (another film I've rewatched lately).

Duel of the Seven Tigers - Just saw this one on the Kung Fu HD channel. The story involves 7 fighters (including Cliff Lok, Han Ying Chieh, Sharon Yeung Pan Pan, Charlie Chan and Pomson Shi) who attempt to take down a Japanese karate expert (Philip Ko) who's determined to close down every martial arts school he comes across. If there's a better performance from Cliff Lok in another film than this one, I'd love to see it. Come to think of it, he might be as good in Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu if I'm not mistaken. Also look out for the fight between him and Casanova Wong. Classic stuff. I definitely recommend this one.

Guest froffeecoffee

Stuff I've watched this past week

30 Rock: Funniest show on t.v. right now.

Saw 2: Really good, liked it better than the 1st. Had it Tivoed from Showtime.

And going to see both Nightmare Before Christmas and the original Dawn of the Dead on the big screen tomorrow. Ken Foree is going to do a Q and A session after DoD and signing autographs. Too cool.

Guest Beat TG

Throw Down - 10/10 - Aaron Kwok (who comes off being charismatic more than ever) plays a judo champ wondering around the streets of HK seeking challenges and find himself brawled with different people, including alcoholic Louis Koo (annoying in the first two thirds of the movie), Leung Kai Fai, Jordan Chan, Eddie Cheung and some others. Johnnie To's masterful and wonderful direction, Peter Kam's atmospheric music score, Yuen Bun's intense action design and excellent performances from everyone make Throw Down yet another success in the Milkyway filmography!

Guest ironfistedmonk

The Hurricane (Golden Harvest) - decent swordplay film, I was unfamiliar with most of the cast but Nora Miao looked cute as ever as the leading lady and Mr Han Man himself playing one of the main villains alongside Stanley Fung. This stands up well against the Shaws swordplay films I've seen from the same time period and its nice to see some outside locations.

Guest teako170

What I wish I *wasn't* watching...?

That would be CRAPTASTIC 4: The Fall of the Silver Surfer.

I'm sure for a ten-year-old it was cool but being a comic fan for 25+ years, there were way too many things wrong here. :mad:

Guest Mr. Vampire

The Satan's Sword Trilogy, now that the remasters have been english subbed.

Tora-San 15: Meets the Songstress Again (1975), & Tora-San 16: The Intellectual (1975).

And then, a slew of Shaw Brothers I have been waiting to get for quite some time:

Two Inoue Umetsugu films:

Hong Kong Rhapsody (1968), the 'sequel' to the superior Hong Kong Nocturne <IMO> - in comparison Rhapsody seemed a little thin or forced at times whereas Nocturne had very good organic flow.

Apartment For Ladies (1970)... suprisingly funny, and not at all what I expected. Good mix of elements, but that's typical of Umetsugu.

Guess Who Killed my Twelve Lovers (1969)

Love Parade (1961) the follow up to the hit film Les Belles (1960) - both featuring two of my favorite SB non-martial arts actors: Peter Chen Ho (who also played in Hong Kong Nocturne & Hong Kong Rhapsody) and the very talented Linda Lin Dai...

The Dancing Millionairess (1964) also starring Peter Chen Ho and his wife, the popular SB actress Betty Loh Ti.

Madam Slender Plum (1966) - Directed by Lo Wei... Very good murder mystery film, of course it's HK from the 60's so there's gotta be romance, musical stuff, etc...

Double Bliss (1970) and Crocodile River (1964) - Two of the 'VCD only' category - these are great family drama films. It was nice to see an almost-if-not-all-on-location SB film in Crocodile River (Thailand) and they deserve a better looking release...

Hmnnn The Silver Surfer didn't make it huh? I used to be a comic fan, from the late 70's into the 80's so I kinda understand your pain. When they get it right, or even close, it's a joy, but buy have they screwed up quite a few of these attempts...

Guest jirpy100

I thought FF 2 was okay, but were never a comic-book fan. I hope they make a good Silver Surfer film, based on the tv-series' format. I loved the way Ang Lee explored the psychological aspects of The Hulk, and this could also be done with the Surfer. Considering he's responsible for so much death & destruction, has no home, lost the love of his life. And his odd manner of speaking seperates his even more from reality. There is a lot of potential here.

-How is Tora-San 16. I have never seen any in the series!

I've been trying to catch up on my Netflix list and stuff on my DVR. So far I've watched:

Bug with Ashley Judd. She does a great job and it's a very dark and intense movie about a couple of lonely people slipping into a deliusional hell.

Stranger Than Fiction with Will Ferrell. Not a bad film, a little quirky. Will is pretty good in this one.

Flash Point with Donnie Yen. One of the better action films I've seen in awhile. The story is OK but it's nice to see MMA being utilized here.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I love this show.

Fight Girls TV show. There's something about watching women fight.

Guest Mr. Vampire

Five Elements Ninjas - Oh yeah... Aside from the artifacting, this was so good to finally watch in widescreen with original language. Up next, Shaolin Rescuers.

To Spy with Love - A silly little HK ditty. Not bad, but not really up to par with other comedies from this era IMO.

The Satan's Sword trilogy - Thank Ghod for fansubbers, these remastered versions are awesome.

Adultery Chinese Style - a 1973 SB outing, I think this is one of those VCD-only deals from celestial... It looked like SB was kind of borrowing a bit from the "Love American Style" tv show, except this is better.

Do Aur Do Paanch, a 1980 Hindi movie with the then-ubiquitous Amitabh Bachchan as co-lead. The story and songs here are kind of like B- grade, but it managed to entertain nonetheless.