What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

max1456314834-front-cover.jpg

Unfortunately rather disappointing after excellent s#1&2. Started well, episodes 1-3&kick a$$ quite well but downhill starts then from hallucination ep..after that it´s more or less preparing to fight against turks(which is rather disappointing showdown), there is few sideplots around but nothing remarkable. The Labyrinth sadly was underused and as show was canceled after this season part of it remains mystery.

Can be I was expecting too much and might be it appears better on revisit after some years...

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 11/07/2017 at 6:07 PM, KenHashibe said:

I think I stopped at Return of the Killer Tomatoes (starring a young George Clooney). I remember enjoying the first two as a kid. I haven't seen either for a long time, but even as a kid, I could tell they were being self aware. Not to be taken seriously. Return is one unique film to say the least.

The cartoon show was the best!

• Like 1

the hitcher. Probably 13th or so view during years and movie remains still perhaps best american horror movie. Screw halloween, friday the 13th, exorcist etc, this is real deal:tongueout

Young man should have listened his mother and don`t give a lift for hitcher as he turns out to be serial killer and deadly cat and mouse game begins...

Absolutely spice chilling performance by Rutget Hauer as hitcher, specially first scene where he reveals his intentions is pure magic. Has one drawback though, when see him elsewhere can`t help but think this flick and every other role feels bit lame compared to hitcher...

2h6as78.jpg

Viking season 4 pt.1

Not quite finished yet (7/10 viewed)but seems so far to be slight improvement over ssn3 which was great already. And #4 has 2 fellow countrymen as vikings:devil

vikings_-_season_4_vol_1_blu-ray_nordic-

• Like 2

Arrival (USA, 2016) [DCP] - 4.5/5
Two linguists trying to learn an alien language to communicate with them. Villeneuve's cinematic expression (politics, emotions, music) isn't always that subtle, but the film is so interesting and original that it doesn't matter. It's a small miracle that this was even made - a sci-fi movie without action scenes in 2016!

Neil Blomkamp's Oats Studios Short Films

Rakka (Canada, 2017) [Youtube] - 3/5
Humanity has been enslaved by an Alien race. Sigourney Weaver leads the resistance. Gory action / sci-fi / horror short is a sort of mixture of Alien, Terminator and District 9. Good but ultimately not that special.

Firebase (Canada, 2017) [Youtube] - 2.5/5
A supernatural force is slaughtering US soldiers in Vietnam. Semi-entertaining action short is basically Predator meets Cannibal Holocaust, but looks and feels a bit cheap, and does not excel with acting either. One would expect more from Blomkamp. Special effects are superb, though.

Zygote (Canada, 2017) [Youtube] - 4.5/5
While some of Blomkamp's recent work has made people conclude perhaps it was for the best that his Alien project did not come true, Zygote proves otherwise. This looks and feels almost 100% Alien (+ a bit of The Thing) and beats the hell out of any official and unofficial Alien films from the past few decades. In fact, this seems to be based on Blomkamp's buried Alien project as the two main characters are quite easy to recognize as new versions of "Hicks" and "Newt". Yes, I do want a feature length Alien film by the Blomkamp who did this, and I want it now!

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
On 4/22/2017 at 6:40 AM, DragonClaws said:

The lynx effect, the future Mrs Seagal Kelly Le Brock succumbs to Mason Storms charms in Hard To Kill(1990)

article-2402408-1B7A309A000005DC-231_634

They had already married at the time the film was made for about 3 years.

• Like 2

Primal+Rage+(1988)+poster+cover.jpg

Primal Rage (Vittorio Rambaldi, 1988): A journalist for the campus newspaper sneaks into the lab where he sees a monkey, who due to an experiment on tissue regrowth, has unexpectedly become rabid. The monkey bites the journalist and a few days later, while on a date, the journalist stands up to three local bullies and undergoes a primitive nature that turns him into a killing monster. Oh, and he did give the date a hickey and she too becomes infected. When she is nearly attacked by the bullies, she infects them when she transforms and everything all goes down at a Halloween party. The journalist's best friend and his new girlfriend are the only ones who can stop the madness. From the makers of Welcome to Spring Break (Nightmare Beach), the film was shot at Florida International University in Miami. Pretty good SFX for its time and the finale is quite interesting. But there was quite an annoying theme song with the band of said song playing it at the party before the chaos occurs.

The major up of the film: Claudio Simonetti's score.

• Like 2

the mechanic(original).  it`s great movie but his character is so disrectful and deserves to die...Bronson does so great in acting, lovely plot and fine action scenes for movie this old...but all characters so bad but they get what they deserve!

:devil

I haven`t seen part 2 of remake but want to find out how it is...

• Like 2

The Rock (1996)

No matter how many times I watch that opening scene, I always get the chills for its' emotional punch!!!

Edited by DiP
  • Like 4

We Are X - awesome documentary about X Japan, who prepare for their 2014 concert at Madison Square Garden. The history of the band is discussed from its humble beginnings when Yoshiki and Toshi were only 13 when they formed their first band to their 1997 disbanding when Toshi quit the band which he now blames an influence of a cult he had joined and had finally left them in 2007, which led to the reunion of the group. Hide's 1998 death is also mentioned and how it affected Yoshiki in a major way. It got to a point where he almost gave up music until he was asked to compose a song for the Emperor. As of today, they are planning to release a sixth album soon and played a series of acoustic shows due to Yoshiki's ongoing health issues, in which he recently had artificial disc surgery.

• Like 1

spidarlings.jpg?w=330&h=510

Spidarlings (2016) - This feature film from newcomer Salem Kapsaski is rightfully distributed by Troma Entertainment. Kapsaski used a "kitchen sink" method to his madness about a lesbian couple on the verge of being evicted from the place they are renting because they have no money. One of them works, the other doesn't care at all. When the latter buys a mysterious spider, their lives change forever. The film is described as a "punk rock horror musical" and it truly shows. There are some very strange animated sequences in the film to specify certain situations along with some actual catchy tunes courtesy of co-star Jeff Kristian (who is a U.K. version of the late great Divine IMO) and add to the mix a serial killer and the most insane 10 minutes to end a film that is done in a style I would expect in a Troma film. Lloyd Kaufman himself makes a cameo appearance as the man who sells the spider, and this was before Troma picked up the film for distribution.

Trivia: Director Kapsaski graduated from the New York Film School and had worked as an assistant director on Dario Argento's film Giallo.

The film for me was a fun indie horror musical ride with nods to the giallo genre, John Waters, and Troma films.

• Like 1

Hellraiser (UK, 1987) - 4/5
Dark, genuinely scary horror fantasy hasn't lost its bite. I watched this at King Records' annual Summer Horror Fest last year, where they screen Hellraiser every year, in a daytime screening and was delighted to see the audience consisted of three men and six women! Japanese girls got taste!

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (UK, 1988) [DVD] - 3/5
Not bad for a horror sequel, although it largely trades "horror" for "characters running in the middle of special effects". Still entertaining and features some gruesome moments. When I saw the first two films as a teenager, they both scared the shit out of me. Now, only the first film retains the power to scare.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (USA, 1992) [DVD] - 1.5/5
Despite the absence of real horror, and the abundance of irritating characters, this one isn't so bad until the idiotic last 30 minutes that makes absolutely no sense and is frustrating as hell. The amount if explosions makes it look like a bad Michael Bay film.

I don't suppose the rest of the Hellraisers are worth my time?

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 1

East Side Sushi (Anthony Lucero, 2014) - A culture clashing revolving around a Mexican-American single mother who is determined to overcome racial and gender obstacles when she gets a job at a Japanese restaurant, which inspires her to become a sushi chef. A great family film IMO that has a lot of heart and soul as we journey into one woman's journey to find herself and discover what she is meant for.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/08/14/review-east-side-sushi-2014/

Red White Black and Blue Odyssey (James Brown, 2017) - This sports documentary is filmed between 2012-2014 and revolves around the Inner City Educational Foundation (ICEF) Rugby Program, which brings the sport to inner city kids in South L.A. The group takes trips around the world and are led by Coaches David Hughes and Stuart Krohn, the latter who was the one-time skipper of Hong Kong's National Rugby Team in the early 90's. Nothing is scripted and really shows the personal stories of the players mixed with their trips to New Zealand, China, France, and England. A really intimate look at the program. And Stuart Krohn is a nice guy...I got to talk to him about the program and his experiences on the film.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/08/14/review-red-white-black-and-blue-odyssey-2017/

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/08/14/an-inspirational-odyssey-an-interview-with-icef-rugby-director-and-coach-stuart-krohn/

• Like 2

The Mummy's Hand (1940) - I know this was a low-budget effort, as horror films in the 1940s were wont to be. However, any sense of the exotic is killed in the first scene, when we see George Zucco riding a Bactrian Camel through the Southern California chaparral. An Irish bartender in Cairo also felt out of place. Couldn't they go a little closer to Death Valley for that scene? The mummy make-up is good, and this appears to be one of the few films where the evil high priest isn't killed by the mummy he revived. Okay film on the whole.

• Like 1

Man of Steel (2012) - 2.5/5

I mainly watched this one out of necessity since I've already seen the other recent DC movies, none of which I especially enjoyed. The same goes for Man of Steel unfortunately. During almost the entire runtime, I was either bored or annoyed. A lot of it just made no sense. The blatant product placement and Jesus symbolism made me laugh out loud. I guess the effects were mostly fine, but I've never seen a Superman movie where he barely saves anyone (Except for Lois Lane and a couple other dudes while hundreds of thousands of innocent people die). At least Batman V Superman had a couple entertaining scenes. Man of Steel just wasn't for me.

Boyhood (2014) - 2.5/5

Here's another one I watched solely out of necessity. So many people love this movie and the concept alone intrigued me. Unfortunately, this movie is fraught with generic melodrama, awful dialogue, unlikable characters, iffy acting, and a preachy, pretentious message that makes you wanna punch the screen. The first hour or so had some interesting scenes, but the rest of it was just boring. Nothing happens. Nothing of consequence happens. No one really makes any big changes. It was just nothing. The last hour and a half, I was just waiting for it to end. Boyhood obviously wasn't for me. :laugh

Marjorie Prime (2017) - 3.5/5

Though the visual style is nothing to write home about, Marjorie Prime was a fascinating movie to watch. Great acting all around and some genuine surprises throughout. It's very thought-provoking and interesting. It's kinda slow, but it kept my attention the whole runtime.

• Like 1

Chato's Land (1972) - Charles Bronson(Street Fighter, The Stone Killer) is Pardon Chato, half Apache, half caucasian and 100% all round tough guy. He's denied a drink in the local saloon by the Sheriff, when he refuses to back down to the lawmans intimidating behaviour, guns are drawn and only Chato is left standing. Before you can blink, a posse of men driven by hate and bloodlust are out to get our hero. Led by Captain Quincy Whitemore, played by the ever charismatic Jack Palance(The Professionals, Tango & Cash). Decent Western from British director Michael Winner(Death Wish, The Stone Killer), that packs a brutal punch even now. Hard to imagine such a film getting a PG rating in today’s movie climate, but that’s how it was rated for U.S audiences back in the 70's. Features one of Charles Bronsons strongest acting performances, and while much lighter than his early days, he was still in great shape for a man of 50.

Blood Father (2016) - Mel Gibson is ex-con/ex-biker who's put his hard drinking and life of crime behind him. Only when his daughter Lydia(Elin Moriarty) gets set up by a two-faced gangster. He's forced to become the person, he's been trying to get away from. Standard action movie fare, with a great performance by Gibson as Link. Refreshing to see such a big movie icon, show's his age without hiding under heavy make-up/botox injections. He's clearly hit the gym and put in some hard work, looking more buff than he did back during his peak years pf popularity in Hollywood. Not essential viewing, but an entertaining hour and thirty minutes. Watch out for excellent late character actor Michael Parks, in one of his last performances, playing an old Biker gang boss.

• Like 3

I watched three movies in the past few days. Unintentionally, all three of these films are pretty spot-on representations of the director's other films, featuring all their hallmarks.

Reservoir Dogs (1992) - 4.5/5

Probably my second favorite Quentin Tarantino movie behind Pulp Fiction. Great characters, excellent dialogue (obviously), and some really damn suspenseful sequences. This movie has been talked to death already, so I'm gonna keep this short. Great movie all around.

City on Fire (1987) - 4.5/5

After watching Reservoir Dogs, I was in the mood to watch City on Fire (wonder why). All jokes aside, City on Fire is great. Chow Yun Fat, of course, being the highlight of the film. All of Ringo Lam's hallmarks are on display: intense action scenes, great characters, a dark consequential ending, etc. And despite the Mexican standoff, basic concept, and the details of the botched jewelry heist being the exact same as Reservoir Dogs, the films are totally different. Different styles, different structures. It's hard to compare the two since they're so different. But I love both.

Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - 4.5/5

I love Wes Anderson movies and this is probably my favorite of his films. Gorgeous sets and cinematography, a unique ensemble of characters, a clever story, fun dialogue, a great cast, a surprisingly touching ending, and a standout performance by Ralph Fiennes who steals the show every time he's onscreen. And, of course, as a Wes Anderson movie, this movie is super stylized. You can very easily tell that Wes Anderson directed this solely based off the style. An incredible, impressive, and unique movie that I want to revisit over and over.

• Like 3

Blazing Saddles (1974) - 4/5

Probably my third favorite Mel Brooks movie (behind The Producers and Young Frankenstein). Blazing Saddles is a hilarious western-comedy, further elevated by performances by Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, and Madeline Kahn. The ending maybe gets too silly for its own good (it literally takes you out of the movie), but Blazing Saddles is still a great comedy.

High Anxiety (1977) - 3.5/5

Mel Brooks' tribute to Alfred Hitchcock is probably one of his lesser films, but not without some incredibly funny scenes. I feel the movie's downfall was having Mel Brooks as the main star. He's such a funny guy, but I just don't feel he's charismatic enough to make a really good leading man. He's in the shadow of all of the supporting characters which are much more unique and funny. Still a clever comedy, but could've benefited from a better lead.

Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) - 3.5/5

I loved the first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes of Life Aquatic. I don't know what it is about everything else. I just wasn't as invested as I was with other Wes Anderson movies. The movie is still a delight to look at, but I just felt the characters were kinda lacking. And the emotionally resonate stuff was mainly just at the end. I'd probably enjoy it more from a rewatch, but my initial viewing wasn't as good as I had hoped (maybe my expectations were just too high).

Rushmore (1998) - 4.5/5

Oh man. Rushmore was freaking hilarious. I really, really liked this movie. Wes Anderson's quirky style and characters are present. Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray give wonderfully deadpan performances. Despite the silly tone and concept, the film still works shockingly well as drama. The emotional scenes are still quite affecting. And the ending is very satisfying. Wes Anderson did a great job of making you care about Max Fischer (Schwartzman) despite how unlikable he is. He's annoying, deceptive, disloyal, pushy, and controlling, but I strangely cared about his character. Rushmore was a great movie that had me laughing really hard from beginning to end.

• Like 3

Realive (2017): An indie drama-driven sci-fi revolving around a man with terminal cancer who is cryogencially frozen for 70 years in hopes to find a cure only to learn that there is something more in store for him. For what it has, loads of flashbacks and a good performance by lead actor Tom Hughes makes this watchable as long as you don't miss a second of it.

Leatherface (2017): Saw it on DirectTV this weekend as it premiered there before its October 20 theatrical release. As a fan of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, I did find obvious flaws in 2013's Texas Chainsaw 3D, which is being hailed as an "official" sequel and now comes this prequel, which takes a Usual Suspects-approach of three teen boys who escape a mental facility, one of them finding his destiny as the chainsaw wielding killer and adds a taste of Natural Born Killers with two of the characters (one of the boys and a girl) taking the other two and a kidnapped nurse on a road trip from Hell with Stephen Dorff's Texas Ranger looking for justice but uses methods that make him no better than the Sawyers (the Ranger's name is Hartman, who is the family responsible for burning down the Sawyer Farm in TC3D's opening, which starts the long-standing rivalry.) Solid performances from the trio of Sam Strike, James Bloor, and Sam Coleman make this watchable and Iron Fist himself, Finn Jones, appears as Sorrel, Hartman's partner on the hunt for the escapees.

• Like 2

icanspeak.jpg?w=419&h=598

I Can Speak (2017) - a heartwarming Korean film that stars Na Mun-Hee as Ok-Boon, an elderly shopkeeper who for the past 20 years has caused trouble with her follow shopkeepers and the district office with her constant complaining. When the newest civil servant, Park Min-Jae, is hired to deal with the woman dubbed "The Goblin Granny", she learns that Min-Jae has a perfect command of English. Desperate to learn the language, Min-Jae at first is reluctant but when he learns Ok-Boon helps his younger brother on occasion, he decides to teach her. Their lives change on a positive until Min-Jae learns the reason why Ok-Boon is desperate to learn English. Great chemistry between Na Mun-Hee and Lee Je-Hoon as the student and teacher who forge a bond like family, something both their characters lack. The third act actually made me shed a tear.

Full review: https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/10/03/review-i-can-speak-2017/

The film gets an official U.S. theatrical release this Friday.

• Like 1

Red Christmas - Australian filmmaker Craig Anderson wrote and directed this tale of terror revolving around a family whose last Christmas in their family home (as the widowed mother plans to sell the house) finds a visitor decked out in a cloak and is all bandaged up. Reading a letter that terrifies the mother, the family kicks him out and unhappy, the new visitor goes on a killing spree, picking the family members one by one and of course, despite a predictable twist in the story, a decent mix of minimal CGI and practical effects make this 80-minute horror film pretty good for a holiday terror film. The only issue I felt was that it the big reveal, because I thought it was a bit farfetched in terms of its execution.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/10/09/review-red-christmas-2017/

• Like 1

Primary Target (1990) - The wife of a CIA official is kidnapped and taken to Laos by a former soldier who he commanded. He finds three others from the unit living in Thailand and hires them to save her. They then meet up with a female Hmong mercenary and go on their way. The plot twists and some of the character development didn't seem believable at all.

Aaj Ki Awaz (1984) - The Bollywood remake of Deathwish. It was a good watch as it was done differently. For example, it focused on corruption handcuffing the police so the protagonist has to resort to vigilantism.

• Like 2

Wonder Woman(2017) - Patty Jenkins directed adventure, based on the well known D.C character Wonder Woman. Played here by Israeli born actress Gal Gadot, who made her movie debut in Fast & Furious(2009). A WW2 Spy crash lands in the sea off an Island guarded by fierce Amazonian warriors. I don’t take sides on the whole Marvel VS D.C movie rivalry, as I enjoy films inspired by both-of the comic giants. This not a perfect movie, but I didn’t expect it to be. It was however, an entertaining one, with a great performance from Gadot as Wonder Woman. Who appeared far bigger than her real life 5'8 frame, which is a testament to the filmmakers. Enjoyed the character inclusion in last years Batman VS Superman: Dawn Of Justice, so it was great to see a full movie put aside for this super skilled lady. Looking forward to Justice League even more now too. Great to see British character actors David Thewlis and Ewen Bremmer among the cast too. Danny Huston was also good as the German villain, with a taste for body enhancing gases. The film does venture from being very deep and profound to silly and fun, and sometimes all within a short space. Over all, it s a good way to spend a Friday night in-front of the T.V.

gallery-1496333088-wonder-woman-gal-gado

Wonder Woman, runs the gaunlet through no mans land.

• Like 2

Logan(2017) - Hollywood as seen a revival in the angry old man on a mission genre, defined by Charles Bronson decades ago. Here it's mixed with Marvel character Wolverine, who has clearly seen better days. This is a strong action movie, if a little too long?. I don't dislike two hour plus movies, but it appears every D.C/Marvel film must fit that exact runtime requirement. There's some clear nods to the Western genre, and a heavy does of blood and splatter. It's a strong final outing for actor Hugh Jackman(SwordFish), and a nice big screen debut for T.V child star Dafne Keen(NARCOS) as the young mutant Ana. Patrick Steward nearly steals the movie, whenever he's ranting and raving onscreen, as the older, medication dodging Professor Xavier. There's strong support from Richard E.Grant, Stephen Merchant and Boyd Halbrook.

WARNING: Spoilers ahead

A few small gripes I had, are as follows. When the family they help at the road side, asks them to come to dinner. Why do they go, knowing who they have pursuing them?. The young Mutant Logan is supposed to protect, appeals to be very capable of looking after herself. One last thing, those hub cap stealing thugs, take a long and I mean a long time to get in the van and drive off. I mean, the guys got large knife sized blades coming out of his fists. That said, this is just live action comic book entertainment. Perhaps I shouldn’t have been looking at it too closely?. If your wanting some slightly more adult, live action comic book entertainment, then this might just be the film for you.

kdYsBKB3.jpg

Wolverine, tha mutant with blades of fury.

• Like 2