What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

Tex Killer

True detective 1&2.

Season 1 quite usual serial killer story and drags a bit at times but 2 lead actors carry some more boring moments over troubled waters.

Ssn2 far more interesting when it comes to storyline involving murder, corruption and questionable business methods. There is excellent street shootout which I assume appears far more realistic than most other similar stuff. Actors are great here too although I prefer bit more in #1, but brilliance of plot makes this winner.

Both seasons last bit over 7 hours which is nice lenght for these,

TDBar640.jpg

• Like 2

Gremlins - Been a while since I watched this, wanted the gf to see it. Still a great classic, forgot this was set at Christmas time(he was a gift of course). The evil gremlins were a great creature design made back when hollywood still had some balls, it gets nasty and that's what makes this such a great movie, offset by Gizmo's cuteness. Interesting social commentary in 80's rural small town America. The bar scene is great.

Gremlins 2 The New Batch - It occurred to me that I never watched this back in the day, certainly different, bit more parody on some classic movies helped by a cameo by the great Christopher Lee and some genetic engineered Gremlins. Missed the mark for me may have to give it another watch as I wasn't expecting parody, seems to be popular with people but I think it's a stretch to call it better than the original, still gets nasty though. 

• Like 3

Spirit Game: Pride of a Nation - this is a pretty good documentary that meshes the sport of lacrosse and its Native American roots, surrounding around the Iroquois Nationals and their attempts at two world championships between 2014 and 2015, the latter at the Onondaga Nation. IMO great film for both sports and history fans as the Doctrine of Discovery plays an important role in the history of the sport and the impact the sport brings to the Nation on and off the fields. The film hits select theaters this Friday (got to see an online screener and interviewed the co-directors of the documentary)

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/05/24/review-spirit-game-pride-of-a-nation-2017/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Aaron's Blood (Tommy Stovall, 2017): A vampire movie that truly breaks from the norm. This one focuses more on a father who learns that his pre-teen hemophiliac son has received a blood transfusion that now has turned him into a vampire. The father tries to cope with his son's new affliction with the intention of finding a way to cure him that doesn't involve killing him or anyone else. It's more of a drama with horror overtones but quite good.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/05/29/review-aarons-blood-2017/

Handsome Devil (John Butler, 2017): Irish coming-of-age dramedy that revolves around two unlikely roommates at a boarding school where the administration and students are obsessed with rugby. A music fan who is seen as gay (but I learned from the director that it is never known, but only viewed that way because he's not into rugby like his classmates) and a new talented rugby player soon become friends, thus causing massive issues with the school's students and admin. This is definitely a "bromance" film that brings shades of films like Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights. The director told me the film is actually based on elements of his life, which is quite striking yet pretty darn good.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/05/29/review-handsome-devil-2017/

Mostly Martha (Sandra Nettelbeck, 2001): A German chef who views herself as a perfectionist is forced into therapy after getting into it with customers who complain about her food. However, her "perfect world" really comes crashing down when first, she must care for her niece after a car accident claims the life of her sister, and two, a new Italian chef is brought in to temporarily replace the expecting sous chef and he is more carefree rather than stern. Pretty good dramedy with some good performances.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/05/30/review-mostly-martha-2001/

Cantinflas (Sebastian del Amo, 2014): The story of Mexico's greatest comic actor, Mario "Cantinflas" Moreno, from 1931 to his international breakthrough as Passepartout in 1956's Oscar-winning version of Around the World in 80 Days, is depicted with a great performance by lead Oscar Jaenada, who emulates the comic actor and also brings the off-screen drama surrounding his life to a tee. The film juxtaposes with Michael Imperioli's take on producer Mike Todd, who is trying to coerce Cantinflas to appear in Around the World in 80 Days.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/05/28/review-cantinflas-2014/

• Like 1

Saw a couple of recent indie horror films

besetment.jpg?w=328&h=470

Besetment: Amanda is a young woman who is looking for a job to move out of her mother's apartment. Her mother is an emotionally abusive alcoholic. She finally finds a job in a small town 80 miles away. She works at the motel in said small town and befriends the widowed owner and her son. However, as one would begin to guess, this is one motel owner with some dark and I do mean, dark secrets. It has a shocking value and runs just right at 74-minutes with Hollywood veteran Marlyn Mason playing the sinister motel owner. She seems sweet at first, but looks truly are deceiving when her secrets are revealed.

cameraobscura.jpg

Camera Obscura: A war photographer suffering from PTSD gets a vintage camera from his fiancee, who got him a job shooting houses and communities for her real estate company. When he receives the photographs, he learns he sees imminent deaths. When his fiancee is the next to die, he must figure out how to save her. This is a very interesting indie film that starts out going in one direction but midway through, veers off into another direction and for some reason, it actually works. The lead actor, stage and film actor Christopher Denham, really drives the film in the role of the already suffering Jack, who ends up going more and more towards a downward spiral when he learns of his fiancee's potential demise.

devilsdomain.jpg?w=327&h=497

Devil's Domain: Teen girl who suffers from bulimia and is LGBTQ is constantly harassed by her classmates via social media and at school. When her neighbor pretends to like her, he actually puts cameras in her room and bathroom to show the bullies what she does. She is both bullied at school and cyberbullied to the point where her mother wants to put her in a rehab facility when she learns about her eating disorder. However, that night, a mysterious woman messages her on social media and invites her to her home. The woman, a seductress of sorts, turns out to be Satan and she makes a deal with the teen to get revenge on all the bullies but there is a catch, which isn't revealed until the near end of the film. It was actually a pretty good indie horror film that meshes horror with real-life teen issues. The few love scenes in the film were done without any nudity (something usually expected in these type of films). The horror violence is quite interesting but at least they used practical effects rather than cruddy CGI. Michael Madsen is the only star power of the film, playing the teen's stepfather, who is trying to understand her and looks to be the most sympathetic character towards her aside from the Devil herself.

Finally...I took my kids to see...

captainunderpants.jpg?w=347&h=511

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie: Based on the epic novels by Dav Pilkey, I couldn't stop laughing. Great voice cast from Kevin Hart and Thomas Middleditch as George and Harold (who break the fourth wall a few times) to Ed Helms as the titular superhero and his crabby alter-ego, Principal Grubb as well as Nick Kroll's Professor Poopypants, yes there is (literal) toilet humor, but it just works so well and of course, my kids enjoyed it as well.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

CSI_NY_-_The_9th_Season.jpg

Decent final season although felt in the end of episodes more minutes was spent to things unrelated crime itself than in past seasons and too much concentrated into mac taylors trouble...

Csi Vegas 14&15+"movie" unseen then CSI family packed up. Not going to visit csi:cyber as Computer crime does not interest and to make it sure, heard few negative opinions.

• Like 2

Ballerina (2016) - CG cartoon produced in Canada and has been released so far in Canada and Europe. It won't be released stateside until August, under the new title, Leap! (probably to cash in on Sing?). The film tells the story of Felicie, an orphan in late 1800s France, who dreams of studying ballet. One day, she and an aspiring inventor friend flee the orphanage where they live and make their way to Paris. The former is taken in by a crippled lady who does cleaning jobs at the Academie de Musique, and the latter becomes an assistant (of sorts) to Gustave Eiffel. Felicie also cleans house at the home of a wealthy restaurant owner whose daughter aspires to study at the academy. Felicie ends up assuming her identity and going to the Academie to study, although that's only the start of her adventure.

All of us found this film highly enjoyable, although early on I wondered if this would be too dark for Susan--there are a lot of unpleasant characters in this film. Some characters reveal a softer side as the film progresses, others simply go insane in the final reel. The resolution to the rivalry between Felicie and snobbish daughter is very similar to one of the side conflicts in Center Stage, although that movie didn't end with Debra Monk chasing Zoe Saldana up and down the Statue of Liberty with a sledge hammer...as it should have.

• Like 1

Beauty and the Beast (2017) - Yes, Emma Watson is beautiful, intelligent and a good actress, and the film itself is a sumptuous visual feast, but it lacked the life and vitality of its animated inspiration. After watching Luke Evans in No One Lives, I'm convinced his Gaston would psychologically torture Belle until she developed Stockholm Syndrome, at which point he would slit his own throat in front her in order to make a point about her loving him. And I think the ballroom sequence would've been better if Emma Watson were wearing the iconic golden dress while dancing with a Rhedosaurus, or at least this guy:

Beast from Hollow Mountain.jpg

• Like 2

Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

I attended a screening of this last night at the Nuart in LA followed by a Q&A with the director, Bill Morrison. Dawson City was a very fascinating and gorgeous documentary. It's almost hard to describe since it's different from any documentary I've ever seen. Besides the first/last few minutes, there are no words spoken. All of the information is presented through text and visuals. Hearing a narration would've been nice since a narrator's inflections and delivering of the information can be more engaging, but I feel the decision to present the information with only text with done in order to better emulate a silent film in which the only thing you hear is the music. I do have two main issues with this movie: (1) It did feel quite long. At a running time of two hours, it definitely feels its length. (2) If you don't have a deep appreciation or interest in film, you probably won't enjoy this movie. Despite these things, I quite enjoyed Dawson City still. It tells an interesting story that I've never heard before, and the footage and pictures shown in the film were incredible to see.

• Like 2

Entertaining double here. Both features have 1 weaker story, in tales it`s Car Accident and in Vault man who keeps nagging to his wife. 3 hours well spent.

2016-04-25_571d881e21bb0_Crypt-Vault_Dou

• Like 3

Summer vacation started which means it's time to watch a crap ton of movies...

The Thirty Million Dollar Rush (1987)

Half fun, half annoying 80's Hong Kong comedy directed by Karl Maka. I expected to laugh quite a bit since I love the Aces Go Places movies and the cast. However, I don't remember laughing once during this film. It's hard to know where to put the blame for what went wrong. It's just there are a lot of lame attempts for humor. With the setup given, it's nowhere near as clever or entertaining as it should've been. And any attempts to be clever result in more confusion. The scenes with Brigitte Lin do serve as a saving grace since she does have some funny scenes. She proves to have great comedic chops and it's refreshing to see her in a role like this. But still, if there are two words to describe this film, it's "clumsy" and "disappointing".

Raiders! The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made (2015)

A very fascinating and inspiring documentary that tells the story of two kids who spent seven years of their childhood making a shot-for-shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark using a VHS camcorder and some friends. However, the documentary does a terrible job of making either of these guys likable. A lot of the things they do/say are questionable to say the least and it's almost hard to sympathize with them. Of course, the highlights of the documentary are the behind the scenes of the film itself and seeing how these kids pulled off such complex scenes with no money. Their efforts and their creativity are definitely endearing and commendable. You can tell a lot of love and passion was put into this project. Definitely a recommended viewing for aspiring filmmakers.

Mad Max (1979)

After seeing and enjoying Fury Road, I decided to watch the rest of the Mad Max series, starting with the original. Mostly typical and noticeably low budget but fun revenge story with likable characters, including (of course) Mel Gibson as Mad Max. Great music and amazing stunts are the high points. There were several occasions throughout where I blurted out an "OH!" or an "OH MY GOD!" Also, you gotta love the villains in this movie who are all absurdly over the top and despicable. Besides a shockingly abrupt, almost anti-climactic ending, Mad Max was a fun ride.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

I attended a screening of My Neighbor Totoro last night as part of GKIDS' Studio Ghibli Fest 2017, and it was great to see it again on the big screen. There was an infectious energy from the audience. My Neighbor Totoro is a great animated kids movie. Beautiful animation and fun characters are the main highlights, though the serious scenes are still affecting. It's basically one of the happiest, cutest movies I've ever seen. There are many other Studio Ghibli films that I prefer, namely Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Castle in the Sky. But still, My Neighbor Totoro is a terrific film. 

• Like 4

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

Mad Max (1979)

After seeing and enjoying Fury Road, I decided to watch the rest of the Mad Max series, starting with the original. Mostly typical and noticeably low budget but fun revenge story with likable characters, including (of course) Mel Gibson as Mad Max. Great music and amazing stunts are the high points. There were several occasions throughout where I blurted out an "OH!" or an "OH MY GOD!" Also, you gotta love the villains in this movie who are all absurdly over the top and despicable. Besides a shockingly abrupt, almost anti-climactic ending, Mad Max was a fun ride.

Some how as a teenager I watched these films in the wrong order. Felt a little dispointed by the ending of the first movie, but its grown on me over the years.

Random Fact: The holiday caravan that gets trashed at the start of the movie, belonged to George Miller. Thats how low budget the movie was, and it shows the directors dedication to the film.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Some how as a teenager I watched these films in the wrong order. Felt a little dispointed by the ending of the first movie, but its grown on me over the years.

Random Fact: The holiday caravan that gets trashed at the start of the movie, belonged to George Miller. Thats how low budget the movie was, and it shows the directors dedication to the film.

in the turkish version they coudnt even afford ammo for the guns :( 

• Like 3

On 6/28/2017 at 6:07 AM, DragonClaws said:

I have heard of a lot of other people who saw these movies out of order too, mainly because Mad Max 2 was renamed The Road Warrior when released in the States.

Also, that's something I forgot to mention in my initial review: This movie looks very low budget which adds to the charm. And as you mentioned, it shows George Miller's dedication to the project.

• Like 3

Man in the Camo Jacket - this documentary, which I mentioned in the music thread, is a great look at the life of Mike Peters, the lead singer for 80's Welsh rock band The Alarm and not only focuses on his music as he has brought the band back since 2000 with a new line-up, but a look at his three battles with cancer, which led him to create the charity Love Hope Strength. He raises funds for cancer awareness by bringing fans and community members on mountain hikes and then at the summit, performs with The Alarm. I got to interview Mike Peters this past weekend and needless to say, great guy and great inspiration.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/07/04/review-man-in-the-camo-jacket-2017/
https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/07/04/interview-with-mike-peters-lead-singer-of-the-alarm-and-the-titular-man-in-the-camo-jacket/

America Has Fallen - no, this is not Mike Banning's latest adventure (that goes to next year's Angel Has Fallen), but rather a re-titled version of a 2016 indie action film called Rising Fear from jack-of-all trades filmmaker Tom Getty. Getty also plays the main character of Ryan Taylor, an ex-Marine who finds himself as the scapegoat of a bombing by a terrorist organization led by a Russian-born ally of Al-Qaeda who hides under a mask due to a permanent disfigurement. While Ryan attempts to clear his name, he finds himself rescuing a kidnapped U.S. President, who now has a nuclear bomb set to go off in two hours. Lots of intricate twists and turns and decent CGI effects in certain areas for its budget makes this actually a watchable indie action film. 

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/07/03/review-america-has-fallen-2017/

• Like 2

KenHashibe

Long Way North (2015)

My friend has been trying to get me to see this movie for the longest time. He absolutely loved it. After months of hearing all about it, we finally sat down and watched it. And I gotta say, it's pretty good. Overall, it's a perfectly solid movie with good characters and a very simple story. I also like how reserved and subdued it is. I imagine this movie being a bloated, dumb action movie in the hands of the wrong director. Instead, things are kept more realistic and quiet. The animation is quite gorgeous and kinda minimalist. The colors are bright and vibrant, and the landscapes look incredible. However, despite the beautiful animation, everything else in this movie is serviceable (i.e. the characters, the story, the writing). The story is very, very simple. No crazy twists or turns. It's just utterly straightforward. I also think I'd complain that the movie is too short. I would've liked it if the movie had been maybe 20-30 minutes longer. I felt the 80-minute runtime wasn't enough to get me fully invested in our main character. Also, I'd say the music was unfittingly modern and out of place for the most part. Overall, Long Way North is a very good film, though if you're looking for a good story, look elsewhere. It's stuff we've seen before. But if you like to admire animation and some inspired artwork, I'd recommend it.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 2

Boss Baby (2017) - I found this to be funnier and more entertaining than Despicable Me 3, despite numerous aspects of the story making no sense whatsoever (i.e. what happened to the mom's pregnant belly after the baby arrives by taxi?). I especially enjoyed Tim's fantasy sequences, which reminded me a lot of Calvin and Hobbes. The finale represents an interesting twist on the family vs. career theme as well. Decent, solid family entertainment.

Despicable Me 3 (2017) - I wanted to like this, but it was far too overstuffed. Because of that, all of the sub-plots involving personal conflicts (Lucy trying to be a mother, the Minions' mutiny against Gru, Gru's conflict with his long-lost twin brother, Margot almost getting engaged to a plump European kid) are resolved far too easily to carry any emotional weight, with most of the film's energy going to a running conflict between Gru and a supervillain who's stuck in the 80s, complete with flat top and a mullet. I especially wanted to see and learn more about the husband-wife dynamic of Gru and Lucy, but they still feel like work partners and not an actual married couple. A very big "meh" for me.

• Like 5

death wish 4 - crackdown. Had probably missed this in vhs time as flick did not feel familiar....Daughter of Paul Kerseys ladyfriend dies to drugs and as media mogul has some inside information about two drug cartels it does not take much to convince Kersey has to wipe them out...

Not much of a plot there and twist is predictable even as quite good one. Movie is far better than it`s reputation suggests, lots of action and while at older age Bronson does not rely on physique any more, screen energy has not gone away completely....

Will be interesting to see how Bruce Willis will portray character of Kersey. He has looks and acting skills to be ok in that, but it`s up to script and director how it`s going to be...

• Like 3

killertomatoesstrikeback.jpg?w=319&h=455

Killer Tomatoes Strike Back (1990) - the third installment of the Killer Tomatoes quadrology stars future infamous reality TV star Rick Rockwell (Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire) as a detective who refuses to believe that killer tomatoes exist. That is until he meets tomatologist Kennedi Johnson, played by retired actress turned acting coach Crystal Carson. John Witherspoon, who later got to play the hilarious Mr. Jones in Ice Cube's Friday trilogy, plays Rockwell's partner who is always having a shaving accident as seen by the pieces of toilet paper on his face. The highlight though for this Z-movie is John Astin's return as Professor Mortimer Gangreen, who with his dim-witted yet businessman looking henchman Igor, kidnaps the media for his plot of world domination. Astin even proceeds to break the fourth wall quite a bit! If you've seen the KT films, you know what's expected...it's not meant to be taken seriously but I still enjoy these Z-horror comedies.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/07/06/review-killer-tomatoes-strike-back-1990/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Horror of Dracula (UK, 1958) [DVD] - 4/5
I'm a newcomer to Hammer, and I found this to be excellent. Beautiful sets and locations; I wish they'd still make horror movies like this. I was a little surprised by the generous cleavage.

To the Devil a Daughter (UK, 1976) [DVD] - 3/5
Christopher Lee is an excommunicated priest leading a Satanist group with secret plans for a teenage girl (Nastassja Kinski) who's been prepared for a bigger purpose all her life. An author of a scandalous book about the devil tries to save her. Interesting and tense, but ultimately slightly underwhelming late Hammer film. One would expect a bit more from the ending, especially visually and atmospherically.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (USA, 1939) - 3/5
Enjoyable, but very straight forward film adaptation sometimes visualizes the storyline to the point of making it feel "dumbed down". Basil Rathbone makes an excellent Sherlock Holmes, Nigel Bruce is a clumsy Watson. Richard Greene (as Henry Baskerville) was apparently cast mainly to attract the ladies, and has a corresponding amount of character depth.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (UK, 1959) - 3.5/5
This Hammer version is better than the 1939 version for a number of reasons. First of all, the film has more character depth and shades of dark. This is especially evident in the character of Henry Baskerville, played by Christopher Lee, who is now a slightly arrogant man suffering from a minor heart condition. The character of Watson is also given a far more honourable portrayal. While not strictly a horror film, this also comes with evident Hammer horror influences. Some of the changes and new scenes are excellent, adding new surprises to the familiar storyline while still remaining faithful enough to its spirit.

Sherlock Holmes (USA, 2009) - 1.5/5
Flashy, horribly overlong (130 min) modern Holmes is exactly what you'd expect from "Guy Ritchie doing a big budget Hollywood action film". Although it pretends to be a mystery, is mainly plays out like a supernatural superhero action film with irritating fast editing, loads of CGI and a superhuman giant of a henchman that Holmes keeps fighting throughout the film. The annoying screenplay creates a new storyline that builds on elements that Doyle (no doubt deliberately) only briefly featured in his stories ("hey, let's make Irene a major character who kicks ass and fights bad guys! Cool, right?). There are some positives, however. The Victorian London looks generally good and Robert Downey Jr. is not too bad as a darker, socially withdrawn Holmes. Jude Law's Watson on the other hand is utterly uninteresting without any personality, positive or negative

• Like 3

On 7/10/2017 at 6:58 AM, AlbertV said:

Killer Tomatoes Strike Back (1990) - the third installment of the Killer Tomatoes quadrology stars future infamous reality TV star Rick Rockwell (Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire) as a detective who refuses to believe that killer tomatoes exist. That is until he meets tomatologist Kennedi Johnson, played by retired actress turned acting coach Crystal Carson. John Witherspoon, who later got to play the hilarious Mr. Jones in Ice Cube's Friday trilogy, plays Rockwell's partner who is always having a shaving accident as seen by the pieces of toilet paper on his face. The highlight though for this Z-movie is John Astin's return as Professor Mortimer Gangreen, who with his dim-witted yet businessman looking henchman Igor, kidnaps the media for his plot of world domination. Astin even proceeds to break the fourth wall quite a bit! If you've seen the KT films, you know what's expected...it's not meant to be taken seriously but I still enjoy these Z-horror comedies.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/07/06/review-killer-tomatoes-strike-back-1990/

I think I stopped at Return of the Killer Tomatoes (starring a young George Clooney). I remember enjoying the first two as a kid. I haven't seen either for a long time, but even as a kid, I could tell they were being self aware. Not to be taken seriously. Return is one unique film to say the least.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KenHashibe said:

I think I stopped at Return of the Killer Tomatoes (starring a young George Clooney). I remember enjoying the first two as a kid. I haven't seen either for a long time, but even as a kid, I could tell they were being self aware. Not to be taken seriously. Return is one unique film to say the least.

This is why it was so unique...LOL...love the fourth wall breaks in this clip

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AlbertV said:

This is why it was so unique...LOL...love the fourth wall breaks in this clip

Same here. I can honestly say I haven't any other film in which the director comes out and says "Sorry, but it looks like we are out of money for this picture."

• Like 1