Pantyhose Hero (1990) Sammo & Stunt Team At There Best!

Guest Chinatown Kid

I tried to think if I had this gem back at my mum's house in the UK. I left all my VHS there and couldn't recall if "Pantyhose Hero" was among them.

Then I remembered I had a photo of them all and, would you believe, there it was staring right back at me!

kungfu.jpg

Action is among his best in the 90s but the film itself is one of his worst (along with Don't Give a Damn). Don't have anything against the un-PC storyline but the film's plain direction made everything outside the action boring. This was Sammo the filmmaker declining.

I watched that car hit stun in slow motion, frame by frame many times, and I was convinced it wasn't Sammo, but one of his slimmer stunt team in a padded suit. I obviously saw something clearly that made me think this. But now you've got me doubting myself. I have to go back and look again now. :tongue:

Sammo was often doubled for stunts in that era. You could see. I am pretty sure he didn't do this dangerous one. I will confirm tonight. He could have lied in that interview, like Jackie does. Or was talking about another car stunt.

Reel Power Stunts

Sammo injured his arm doing that scene...the bit where he slides off the bonnet onto the ground.

If you watch the high angle shot of the stunt again...don't just look for a double, look at the ground as well...

PEgroku5x_c

Exactly Tiger. I watched that stunt on dvd frame by frame. It's not Sammo, clearly.

The only bit that's Sammo is him rolling along the ground covered in glass.

Reel Power Stunts
Look at the ground as well? How come?

The area in front of the car has black mats (probably thin and rubber) laid out for the person to land on.

pantyhose.jpg

I am a huge fan and admirer of Sammo, and am not trying to take anything away from him.

The fact that we don't notice things like doubles or mats the first time we see a stunt like this is testament to his awesome ability as an action coordinator.

Yeah, I see the mats. When i left that last question, I didn't see the youtube video. Didn't show up for me till I refreshed the screen.

Apparently, according to the "the internet," Sammo had to go to hospital for four weeks after that stunt.

However, if you were to ask me, that isn't him.

Get that internet page revised. :xd:

Not only does it clearly look like someone else wearing pads....but Sammo was the director. He wasn't gonna do that stunt.

Was watching the film last night after ages, and although I didn't slow it down I watched that stunt several times and it seems to be a stuntsman, not Sammo. It's very well cut and does leave a doubt as to who it is but just before the impact the body shape changes and the bubble perm seems different... It's also clearly not Sammo when he does another stunt in the flat, a dive through glass I think.

Not a big hit when first released and took a lot of stick for it’s portrayal of the gay community but when it comes to the action(and this is what I watched it for today)boy does it deliver.Building site finale rumble,serial killer,and Sammo getting run over when it comes to the action this for me is up there.A lot of actual contact during the fight scenes as well left me thinking that’s gotta hurt.👍👍👍

• Like 4

Cognoscente

The Taiwanese version, which I haven't seen, is six minutes longer. For those wanting to find it online, here are the keywords...

Pantyhose Hero: 脂粉雙雄

Taiwan/Taiwanese: 台灣

Version: 版本

Jing had uncredited involvement in the making of the movie, as mentioned in this 2005 Chinese article...

http://english.china.org.cn/english/features/film/150136.htm

• Like 2