Snowpiercer (2013) - from the director of THE HOST

AlbertV

OpiumKungFuCracker
Ah I just realized they are releasing the uncut version into theaters on June 27th. (Same day as the NYAFF opening night.) Guess I have one more title to add to my list that week. :bigsmile:

Is it possible to see all 60 films at the festival? I totally would try to accomplish this feat if it wasn't for work. Is it even possible?

• Like 1

Is it possible to see all 60 films at the festival? I totally would try to accomplish this feat if it wasn't for work. Is it even possible?

It is not possible. Because there are 2 dates, July 10th and July 13th, where films are being shown in 2 separate locations simultaneously.

July 10 @ Lincoln Center

5:40 CONTROL (92)

8:15 AIM HIGH IN CREATION! (97)

July 10 @ Japan Society

6:00 THE MOLE SONG: UNDERCOVER AGENT REIJI (130)

8:30 WHY DON’T YOU PLAY IN HELL? (119)

July 13 @ Japan Society

12:30 WOOD JOB! (116)

5:30 ALL-AROUND APPRAISER Q: THE EYES OF MONA LISA (119)

8:00 UZUMASA LIMELIGHT (103)

July 13 @ Asia Society

3:00 THE DELINQUENT (96)

5:10 KILLER CONSTABLE (KARATE EXTERMINATORS) (98)

7:20 APOLITICAL ROMANCE (88)

These 2 theaters are close to each other so you could probably go back and forth on the early shows.

I really wanted to see Control but I'm going to see Miike instead.

• Like 1

I did not seek out this film as I was sure it would be shown at the festival this year. Sadly its not. So I will have to seek out a Blu-Ray. Just one question how long is the uncut version? I want to be sure I get the right release.

I think the uncut version is 126 mins.. Same as the HK and France blu ray, which are already for sale. Only reason I have not picked one up yet is because the subtitles. I'm not sure the Korean lAnguGe parts of the movie have English subtitles that pop up. Or you have to watch subtitles the entire movie.. This is why I'll wait for the US version

• Like 1

Please don't move the thread because I do not want to discuss the dvd at all, just a general question about the dvd before I place my order today. I want to know if anyone has a copy of the HK version of this movie.. I know some parts of this movie are in Korean, when i watched it online (I know I'm a dick but I'm planning on buying it :wink: ) the parts of the movie where Korean was spoken, their was no subtitles. I had to kinda guess what was going on.. Before I purchase it, I want to know if the HK version has the English subtitles added in or would I have to manually put the subtitles on to understand. I figure when the United States version comes out in a few months, it will add the subtitles in, but I would rather purchase the HK version now. Just wondering. I know it doesn't take a lot of effort to just put subtitles on real quick when it happens BUT I would like to just watch the movie and not worry about it. Thanks for helping guys!

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

I'm waiting for the Korean release of the movie to pick this up, however as you're referring to the Hong Kong DVD which is being released for the Cantonese speaking market, it's safe to assume that the Korean language scenes won't have embedded English subtitles.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the Korean release of the movie to pick this up, however as you're referring to the Hong Kong DVD which is being released for the Cantonese speaking market, it's safe to assume that the Korean language scenes won't have embedded English subtitles.

The Korean release is out. Yesasia has it on dvd already

• Like 1

After doing some research on the HK release, people told me that the subtitles are not removable at all. So the HK version you have to watch English subtitles throughout the entire movie.. I think I will wait for some more information on a RB release or just wait until the uncut United States version comes out in a few months.. Shame, I was excited to buy this.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
The Korean release is out. Yesasia has it on dvd already

The Korean DVD will be out on July 15th, as confirmed by yesasia -

http://www.yesasia.com/global/1035802545-0-0-0-en/info.html

Not sure which page you were looking at to believe it's out already.

Shall now merge this thread with the existing 'Snowpiercer' thread.

• Like 1

The Korean DVD will be out on July 15th, as confirmed by yesasia -

http://www.yesasia.com/global/1035802545-0-0-0-en/info.html

Not sure which page you were looking at to believe it's out already.

Shall now merge this thread with the existing 'Snowpiercer' thread.

Oops.. When I was looking to pre order a few days ago, I was also looking to pre order "once upon a time in shangahi" which comes out June 19th and I guess I thought snowpiercer said pre order released 6-15.. Just a fumble on my part.. We'll I want to order myself a copy, so when you receive your copy let me know how the subtitle situation works out, would be greatly appreciated

• Like 1

Noelle Shadow Kick

Hey guys! I got to see the NY premier of Snowpiercer on Wednesday, it was the centerpiece presentation of BAMCinematek. Bong Joon-Ho and John Hurt attended for a lovely Q & A, as well.

As you may have noticed, the film is getting RAVE reviews. Personally I thought the movie was very good, so I'm glad to see it getting positive reviews! The film is visually stunning with excellent set design, the story is compelling, and the performances are great.

Every review I've read though has been noting surprise that Chris Evans can act, and I think this is unfortunate. People said the same thing when the FIRST Captain America came out, so I think that to continue saying things like "a surprisingly good performance from Evans" is lazy and uninformed. Anyone who has seen Puncture or Sunshine already knew he'd do well in a role like this. Chris Evans is both Lucas Lee and Captain America--if that's not range, then I don't know what is. In one case I read someone use the phrase "a surprisingly nuanced performance from Chris Evans" in both their review of Winter Soldier and of Snowpiercer. Time for a new review template, guys!

But I really did like the movie, and found it very unique. It's a thoughtful film disguised as a blockbuster. Director Bong couldn't be bothered with any of the Hows or the Whys of the event that brought about the apocalypse, or how the train runs. He IS interested in this contained world he’s created, and it’s wonderful to see. Again, the set design and visuals overall were just stunning. MTV ran this article here that show’s Director Bong’s hand drawn diagram of the train, and it really shows how much thought he put into it.

Can’t recommend this movie enough! It was so refreshing to see a film like this.

Now, some fun takeaways from the Q & A with Bong Joon-Ho and John Hurt:

John Hurt was the first to be cast, and he and Bong got along fabulously right away. Bong was a huge fan of Hurt’s, and kept wanting to talk about Alien haha.

Tilda Swinton was next to be cast, and she originally wasn’t the first choice for the role. Bong was at Cannes to meet with John C. Reilly for the role of Mason since the character was written as a man, but Bong met Swinton for coffee one day and immediately rewrote the part because he wanted her in the film.

Tilda Swinton’s character is based on a nanny she completely despised growing up

Bong Joon-Ho is a big comic fan, and he found the French comic in his favorite comic shop and upon finding out that the comic had only been published in France and Korea, he felt it was fate.

Bong Joon-Ho mentioned that he likes to defy genre conventions, and jokingly called the film “big sci fi action Chris Evans movie!” because it really is so much more than that.

Anyway, sorry about the long post! Just wanted to share!

• Like 1

Anyone who has seen Puncture or Sunshine already knew he'd do well in a role like this.

Ever since I saw Sunshine I knew he was legit.

Great post btw. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Hey guys! I got to see the NY premier of Snowpiercer on Wednesday, it was the centerpiece presentation of BAMCinematek. Bong Joon-Ho and John Hurt attended for a lovely Q & A, as well.

As you may have noticed, the film is getting RAVE reviews. Personally I thought the movie was very good, so I'm glad to see it getting positive reviews! The film is visually stunning with excellent set design, the story is compelling, and the performances are great.

Every review I've read though has been noting surprise that Chris Evans can act, and I think this is unfortunate. People said the same thing when the FIRST Captain America came out, so I think that to continue saying things like "a surprisingly good performance from Evans" is lazy and uninformed. Anyone who has seen Puncture or Sunshine already knew he'd do well in a role like this. Chris Evans is both Lucas Lee and Captain America--if that's not range, then I don't know what is. In one case I read someone use the phrase "a surprisingly nuanced performance from Chris Evans" in both their review of Winter Soldier and of Snowpiercer. Time for a new review template, guys!

But I really did like the movie, and found it very unique. It's a thoughtful film disguised as a blockbuster. Director Bong couldn't be bothered with any of the Hows or the Whys of the event that brought about the apocalypse, or how the train runs. He IS interested in this contained world he’s created, and it’s wonderful to see. Again, the set design and visuals overall were just stunning. MTV ran this article here that show’s Director Bong’s hand drawn diagram of the train, and it really shows how much thought he put into it.

Can’t recommend this movie enough! It was so refreshing to see a film like this.

Now, some fun takeaways from the Q & A with Bong Joon-Ho and John Hurt:

John Hurt was the first to be cast, and he and Bong got along fabulously right away. Bong was a huge fan of Hurt’s, and kept wanting to talk about Alien haha.

Tilda Swinton was next to be cast, and she originally wasn’t the first choice for the role. Bong was at Cannes to meet with John C. Reilly for the role of Mason since the character was written as a man, but Bong met Swinton for coffee one day and immediately rewrote the part because he wanted her in the film.

Tilda Swinton’s character is based on a nanny she completely despised growing up

Bong Joon-Ho is a big comic fan, and he found the French comic in his favorite comic shop and upon finding out that the comic had only been published in France and Korea, he felt it was fate.

Bong Joon-Ho mentioned that he likes to defy genre conventions, and jokingly called the film “big sci fi action Chris Evans movie!” because it really is so much more than that.

Anyway, sorry about the long post! Just wanted to share!

Seriously... you're apologizing for writing an awesome post? :smile:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and opinions on the film, and for letting us know some of what we missed at the Q&A. It was a great read, and very much appreciated.

Were you able to get any photos, meet either of them, or snag an autograph? :nerd:

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
I think I will wait for some more information on a RB release or just wait until the uncut United States version comes out in a few months.. Shame, I was excited to buy this.

Hey Gwai LO, I got through watching the Korean DVD release of the movie recently, and just to confirm you do have to switch on the English subtitles for the times when Song Kang-ho is speaking.

Good to see that the comics have now been given an English language release! I picked them up this weekend so shall be reading them soon.

I picked up the Korean 3-DVD release of the movie, and one of the special features is a 'From Comic to Screen' documentary. Just to elaborate a little more on what you've already said, Joon-ho actually first came across the comic when he was looking for inspiration in the early stages of putting together 'The Host'. He explains in the doc that he'd often go to comic stores to get ideas and in the right frame of mind, and it was while he was looking for ideas for the monster that he stumbled across 'Snowpiercer', and that was the first time he thought one day he'd like to make it into a movie.

The original 'Snowpiercer' artist, and who I believe is the writer of one of the latter 'Snowpiercer' tales (apologies, the documentary was in a mix of Korean, French, & English - but the Korean & French parts aren't English subbed) actually have cameo appearances as passengers in the tail end of the train.

An amazing film.

Perfect example of a great story, flawless pacing and a divine mix of drama and violence!

Loved it.

Couldn't agree more, it was an amazing movie! Joon-ho was last out of the gates out of Korea's big three with their international debuts, but I think 'Snowpiercer' will be many peoples favorite when compared with Kim Ji-woon's 'The Last Stand' and Park Chan-wook's 'Stoker' (although I admit I'm a huge fan of this one!).

Did anyone else feel like there was an underlying theme of the train and the way it was run being a metaphor for North Korea, or was that just me?

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Did anyone else feel like there was an underlying theme of the train and the way it was run being a metaphor for North Korea, or was that just me?

Haven't seen the movie (only trailers). From what I gather, the train is supposed to keep going forever (or so) without ever stopping - the passengers are thuse supposed to stay on and never go off (the people are also placed in that train depending on their social ranks but I'm not sure how it works).

TBH neither the concept nor the trailers didn't do much for me at first and thus I skipped this one, though it was easy to catch at the theater back then.

• Like 1

Had pretty high expectations for this, really took my time with it, even went to see it twice in the theatre but ended up not being all that impressed. To me the opening act was just groaningly predictable with dialogues sometimes bordering on the inane, especially when fidgety Tilda Swindon was going through her act looking like she just hopped out of some stupid-ass TV soap. And despite likeable performances by Song Kang Ho and John Hurt things really didn’t improve all that much thereafter.

In a nutshell, I feel what worked against SNOWPIERCER was just the plain ridiculousness of its Manga-derived set-up. Yes, one can argue that Bong Joon Ho ‘subverted’ the standard formula of the big, bland Hollywood blockbuster and added an element of “social critique” or plain ol’ “class warfare”, but it was all presented in such a numbingly obvious, blunt and heavy-handed fashion that it began to alienate me more & more the farther Captain America’s plebs gate-crashed their way into the anterior compartments (I mean, you just know that it couldn’t be anyone else but a white American leading the revolution and freeing the slaves, right?)

One member here surmised that the CGI didn’t matter much in the context of the film, but I thought that the laughably artificial looking snowscapes the train crosses and especially its final derailment were a real eyesore and distracted further from the proceedings. Another eulogized that the film is a “a divine mix of drama and violence”. What’s the latter referring to, the mass-brawl midway through that’s hellbent to look doggedly desperate, set to a thunderously swelling classical score and presented in super slo-mo? Generally I thought that the overedited and oftentimes obscured action wasn’t much to write home about, nothing here came across anywhere near as brutally intense or inventively staged and choreographed as in, say, THE BOOK OF ELI (to mention a film that, even though not exactly a favourite of mine, wasn’t entirely dissimilar to SNOWPIERCER in tone or topic).

As much as I loved the director’s past works – MEMORIES OF MURDER and MOTHER are absolute stand-outs in my book! – this one didn’t do much for me.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, please check out another positive review, courtesy of a new writer at COF. =D

And just a reminder that Snowpiercer hits DVD on October 21, 2014.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
I would like to know if there is any difference between the US & Korean releases - I have the Korean BD release.

There's no difference between the US & Korean versions of the movie.

• Like 1

Thanks!!!!!

The review I posted explain the whole deal about how it became ONE version, and not different from the Korean cut. ;)

• Like 1

The review I posted explain the whole deal about how it became ONE version, and not different from the Korean cut. ;)
My bad!!! I remember that.

Some of us old folks here have drank too many jars of wine thus our memory fades. :tongue:

• Like 1

Another positive reveiw has just been posted from the guys over at fareastfilms -

http://www.fareastfilms.com/reviewsPage/Snowpiercer-2646.htm

Dunno what Andrew Skeates is rambling on about... "... an epic fight with balaclava wearing henchmen, a mad dash and fight in the dark and an incredibly thrilling chase and fight through the sauna..." Especially the action choreography was absolutely nothing to write home about. That aside, you°d just expect so much more from a director of Bong Joon-Ho°s stature...

Think its also helpful to dwell on some of the negative criticism the film got. I don°t find myself agreeing with Derek Ellery all that often, but when he°s right he°s right... http://www.filmbiz.asia/reviews/snowpiercer

• Like 1