Snowpiercer (2013) - from the director of THE HOST

AlbertV

Twitch:

Bong Joon-ho, one of South Korea's top directors, has not made one bad film so far in his career. In fact, at least two of his feature films, namely MEMORIES OF MURDER and THE HOST, are in my opinion masterpieces of modern cinema. His last film was the 2009 critical hit MOTHER.

Since then, it seems that Bong has been busy preparing for his big screen adaptation of the French graphic novel Le Transperceneige (Snow Piercer). It tells the story of survivors in a new Ice Age who are on board a train to an unknown destination and struggling to live in harmony. Another top Korean director, Park Chan-wook (OLD BOY, SYMPATHY FOR MR VENGEANCE, JOINT SECURITY AREA), is producing the film and co-writing the script with Bong.

Late last year, Twitch reported that the director had relocated to the Czech Republic to begin pre-production for the film, with principal photography due to begin in March this year. That got a lot of us very excited.

Now, Variety has just reported that Chris Evans, star of CAPTAIN AMERICA and the upcoming THE AVENGERS, is in negotiations to play in SNOW PIERCER. So it seems that things are finally falling into place for the production, and hopefully we will get to see the completed film within the next couple of years.

Previous reports said that top Korean actor Song Kang-ho will also appear in a supporting role in SNOW PIERCER.

• Like 1

Weinstein Thinks You Are Too Dumb For SNOWPIERCER

- http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weinstein-thinks-you-are-too-dumb-for-snowpiercer.html

"Harvey Weinstein has ordered the revered Korean cineaste to cut a whopping 20 minutes from his film. TWC people have told Bong that their aim is to make sure the film 'will be understood by audiences in Iowa ... and Oklahoma.'"

• Like 1

- http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weinstein-thinks-you-are-too-dumb-for-snowpiercer.html

"Harvey Weinstein has ordered the revered Korean cineaste to cut a whopping 20 minutes from his film. TWC people have told Bong that their aim is to make sure the film 'will be understood by audiences in Iowa ... and Oklahoma.'"

Weinstein is an ass. There better be a Director's cut.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Weinstein, you retards.. Step away from Hollywood and go jump in a pool full of razor blades and monkey shit you fucktards!!!!

Secret Executioner

Gotta appreciate the consideration these guys have for the audience...

• Like 1

Yes, clearly I am too stupid to get this. Thank you Harvey for making it more palatable for me. Now I can purchase this one and put it next to my other favorites like Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Battleship...

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Yes, clearly I am too stupid to get this. Thank you Harvey for making it more palatable for me. Now I can purchase this one and put it next to my other favorites like Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Battleship...

Since you're too stupid, why do you even consider buying it ? Just get something else, it's too intellectual for your kind. :wink:

• Like 1

Since you're too stupid, why do you even consider buying it ? Just get something else, it's too intellectual for your kind. :wink:

True true, I'll just pre-order Grown Ups 2 instead...

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hmmmm... I think we may be too stupid to understand this film in Pennsylvania too. :tinysmile_angry2_t: Thanks for nothing Harvey Scissorhands. Once again his nonsense affects film fans. He recently cut the shit out of the amazing film WU-XIA... and re-named it DRAGON. :neutral: So instead of supporting the home video distributors in my own country, I will be buying an uncut import of this film. <sigh> :sad:

As for the film itself... based on the trailer, it appears that Directer Bong continues to make imaginative, exciting, visually arresting films. I'm glad that his latest is pulling in impressive sales at the box office, as this improves his chances of creating more good films. I'm looking forward to SNOW PIERCER.

Meanwhile, while Guillermo del Toro's kick ass filmPACIFIC RIM (rated a 7.7 on IMDB) brings in $92,881,044 (USA) (as of August 2nd, 2013) at the box office, GROWN UPS 2 (rated a 5.0 on IMDB) has made $116,195,275 (USA) in the same amount of time. :squigglemouth: Looks like there's a lot of Sandler fans in Iowa and Oklahoma, huh? :angel: Actually, GROWN UPS 2 is playing in nearly twice the amount of theaters as PACIFIC RIM, so that's not too bad at all.

• Like 1

John Hurt vs. Harvey Weinstein

-

[via Movie-Censorship]

"He can't help it, he's always doing it... he doesn't trust his directors"

The film opened here in Japan today - uncut. Quite a wide release, too. Will see it when I have time.

• Like 1

Watched the film today. It's very, very, very good. And dark as hell. Clearly the director's best work so far.

It's also obvious now that Weinstein wasn't trying to make the film easier to understand - there's nothing difficult to understand about it - instead he would have cut the most gruesome parts off. But no amount of cuts could make this a happy or easy film because the darkness is all mental.

The bad: lame CGI train and landscapes, can be ignored for the most part though. Also Tilda Swinton was a bit like out of a Jean Pierre Jeunet / Marc Caro film (not a good thing).

The good: everything else. Acting. Atmosphere. Direction. The way the film builds up and transforms little by little is masterful.

Verdict: the best film of 2013? Maybe, maybe.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
Watched the film today. It's very, very, very good. And dark as hell. Clearly the director's best work so far.

It's also obvious now that Weinstein wasn't trying to make the film easier to understand - there's nothing difficult to understand about it - instead he would have cut the most gruesome parts off. But no amount of cuts could make this a happy or easy film because the darkness is all mental.

The bad: lame CGI train and landscapes, can be ignored for the most part though. Also Tilda Swinton was a bit like out of a Jean Pierre Jeunet / Marc Caro film (not a good thing).

The good: everything else. Acting. Atmosphere. Direction. The way the film builds up and transforms little by little is masterful.

I will now go with mid level expectation. Once you said lame CGI, that can make it or break it for me when it comes to movies. Did you mean 2014 best of?

• Like 1

I will now go with mid level expectation. Once you said lame CGI, that can make it or break it for me when it comes to movies. Did you mean 2014 best of?

I know what you're saying, but the CGI plays quite a minor role in the film really. For the most part you can ignore it. But yeah, go in with mid-level expectations and you'll be positively suprised I hope. And don't watch trailers! Don't look at posters either! That's how I went in and had such a blast.

Nope, 2013. It made tons of money in Korea and France last summer and fall... the rest of the world is this much late.

(and yes, 2013 was a damn good year for cinema. And I haven't even seen Blue is the Warmest Color yet)

• Like 1

How were Jamie Bell and Chris Evans?

• Like 1

This movie is awesome! The length didn't bother me at all. The story moved along at a quick pace, and I felt like something important was always going on. This is a really good movie.

• Like 1

This movie is awesome! The length didn't bother me at all. The story moved along at a quick pace, and I felt like something important was always going on. This is a really good movie.

Agreed, loved it. I've grown to respect Chris Evan very much. Use to think he was such a tool but I'm glad the director fought for this film not to be cut in the states.

• Like 1