SHaw (and other) Laserdiscs.

nectarsis

My friend and I are curious. I have been into LD's for sometime...yet neither us have ever seen a Shaw LD anywhere. I do have a handful of HK LD's...mostly Jackie flicks, Bride With white Hair, etc....but REALLY would love some Shaw (and other older movies) on LD's.

Thoughts/comments?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

There weren't any Shaw Brothers films (except maybe very late era stuff like BARE-FOOT KID) released on LD. Other than a few English dubbed VHS that were put out by Warner Brothers, South Gate (which I think were boots) and a few other companies, the SB films were never legally released anywhere on any format until Celestial put them out on DVD. By then LD was pretty much a dead medium. So don't bother searching for 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN or HEROES TWO on the LD format because they don't exist.

There weren't any Shaw Brothers films (except maybe very late era stuff like BARE-FOOT KID) released on LD. Other than a few English dubbed VHS that were put out by Warner Brothers, South Gate (which I think were boots) and a few other companies, the SB films were never legally released anywhere on any format until Celestial put them out on DVD. By then LD was pretty much a dead medium. So don't bother searching for 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN or HEROES TWO on the LD format because they don't exist.

Weren't there LD's of films like I Will Finally Knock You Down, Dad, and Ghosts Galore?

Though I could be thinking of vhs rips.

Reel Power Stunts

You are right. In HK. Ocean Shores released a few latter day Shaws on LD (and vhs). Titles included: "I'll Finally Knock you down Dad", "Descendant of the Sun", "Holy Flame of the Martial World", "Ghosts Galore", "Crazy Shaolin Disciples", and "Fast Fingers". I have a few - will try to post some pics of covers later.

Ocean Shores HK LDs i know of: (all horribly cropped and alll Cantonese-only)

Holy Flame of the Martial World

Law or Justice

Starry is the Night

Painted Faces

Crazy Shaolin Disciples

Pursuit of a Killer

Hong Kong Playboys

Illegal Immigrant

Puppy Love

I will finally knock you down, Dad!

Ghost Galore

Seeding of a Ghost