"I Am Bruce Lee" documentary

mpm74

Half the people on there had no links to Bruce atall,id rather hear from people that knew him,they shoulda interviewed Joe Lewis and Taky Kimura aswell

Jon Jones is arrogant cant wait for him to lose!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching this just now!

Total crap. When that guy is dancing side on, saying I got this from Bruce Lee, I almost smashed a glass off my television screen.

Spike TV also made a documentary called Facing Ali, about the former heavyweight champion, and it buries this garbage for fun.

I watched this documentary on Spike TV and for the most part it was good. I just wish Dan Inosanto could have spoken more and also maybe his brother or just some other family members, etc. But as usual we were subjected to Linda Lee's gushing(no disrespect to her), Bob Wall(who always annoyed me and I thought he and Bruce didn't like each other) and other pointless speakers, kobe bryant, ed o'neil, Gene Lebell(whoever that is, which stirred up the disagreement of who is the father of mixed martial arts, um yeah. But nevertheless despite these rough spots, it was a good documentary. Also where was Kareem Abdul Jabaar, it would have been more fitting to have him speak, than Kobe Bryant

Killer Meteor

Gene Le Bell is quite well known in martial arts circles. Bruce decks him a few times in The Green Hornet.

Gene LaBell is a Judo giant and legend in the sport who had worked with Bruce in television and specifically on Enter the Dragon. He taught him the lock that he did on Sammo. The two were good friends and Gene had the opportunity years later to work with Brandon on Rapid Fire. Brandon didn't know about him and thought he was just old to work on a stunt team until he locked Brandon quickly - who was very impressed. He's a good person and a wonderful martial artist that's been around the business for years.

FYI, he met Seagal once during the making of one of his films. He was being typically unpleasant to the crew working on the set and bragged that no man could choke him out because he was just that good. The stunt crew introduced him to Gene, who after a few minutes of listening to him boast and brag about his skills, swiftly chocked him out. Seagal passed out and mess his pants. When he came to, he forbade LaBell from ever working on another movie he was involved in. It wasn't a big loss for LaBell. He's the "uncle" of another up and coming Judoka fighter, Ronda Rousey. She's won all her amateur fights (5) and 4 professional fights in under a minute via arm bar submission. Her fifth fight with Miesha Tate was won in the first round via arm bar and she nearly broke the arm because Tate wouldn't tap out. The link below show her on his last amateur fight before she got to face Tate. Gene is the guy holding the stop watch.....:xd:

Laura

Gene Lebell is very well respected as a martial artist bro, he taught bruce how to grapple among numerous other accomplishments. I thought he was a good addition to the doco, now the dancer and that guy from the black eyed peas probably didn't need to be there.

I saw this and while i thought it was better than how Bruce changed the world , i really didn`t like it.

Gene is a hell of a guy, a real nasty piece of work. ( i really enjoyed his autobiography) Just because he thinks Chuck Norris would beat Bruce in a fight, doesn`t make it so.

In regards to Bruce being able to beat , Chuck ,Ray Mancini or Gene for that matter who gives a rats ass about it, two people on that list would of caused Bruce real trouble.

Bruce was a martial artist and actor not a competion fighter, so really has no business being compared to them.

Killer Meteor

There's some loon on youtube constantly posting clips of Bruce vs Lebell from Ironside and The Green Hornet as some weird proof that Lebell is full of manure.

But the fact remains that Bruce was untested in conventional tournaments. Probably just as well, with his ego, one defeat could have left him insane.

Yes, I am a Bruce Lee fan!

There's some loon on youtube constantly posting clips of Bruce vs Lebell from Ironside and The Green Hornet as some weird proof that Lebell is full of manure.

But the fact remains that Bruce was untested in conventional tournaments. Probably just as well, with his ego, one defeat could have left him insane.

Yes, I am a Bruce Lee fan!

I'm not sure what you're referring to as LaBell being "full of manure." They've been friends in the business for quite a while. If you're disagreeing with LaBell's opinion on who would win in a fight, that's just an opinion. LaBell is the real deal which is why he and Bruce would often share information about their fighting styles. Clearly Bruce didn't think as you do because he enjoyed spending time with the man.

FYI, just checked, his name is spelled LeBell. I always get the French names wrong....:)

Laura

Killer Meteor
I'm not sure what you're referring to as LaBell being "full of manure." They've been friends in the business for quite a while. If you're disagreeing with LaBell's opinion on who would win in a fight, that's just an opinion. LaBell is the real deal which is why he and Bruce would often share information about their fighting styles. Clearly Bruce didn't think as you do because he enjoyed spending time with the man.

FYI, just checked, his name is spelled LeBell. I always get the French names wrong....:)

Laura

I'm not referring to LeBell as full of manure or anything. I'm referring to some loon on youtube claiming that with his videos. I'm on your side!

Elemental Fist
I noticed that too. I think his name is Jon "Bones" Jones and he's the current light heaveyweight champ in the UFC. Hopefully, he'll lose his title soon. I've seen him in interviews and he appears very arrogant to me.

Might take a while since he seems to be quite a tough fighter

The Dragon
For those interested this documentary is getting a DVD and Blu Ray release in the UK on 23rd of July...

See here on Amazon...I AM BRUCE LEE

That program was terrible. I got the sense that some people were just speaking about Bruce Lee because they might get air-time. Really?

The Father of Mixed-Martial Arts? Is that like The King of Pop?

Really?

They've commercialized him so terribly, he'd come back and kick their asses if he could. He shut down his kwoons so not to commercialize his Jun Fan Way.

Ridiculous.

They're trying to romanticize the entire image and history...

Look at THE LEGEND OF BRUCE LEE; that theme song during the series-Lee Siu Loong, made me cringe everytime his played. This is the modern Wong Fei. Hung?

Was this doc the made for spike? I mean it made sense having all the MMA people because spike did have ufc on all the time it was alright but it followed the tried and true bs that Linda has been kickin around as his lifestory. Granted I know the are some facts in there but you know what I mean.

Was this doc the made for spike? I mean it made sense having all the MMA people because spike did have ufc on all the time it was alright but it followed the tried and true bs that Linda has been kickin around as his lifestory. Granted I know the are some facts in there but you know what I mean.

I believe yes, other than the devoted father and husband which really was "bs" because he was usually looking for work, working, or chasing skirts....I think it was created for Spike for that generation that didn't know about him (including most of the MMA fighters it featured). I personally preferred the documentary section on the Enter the Dragon special edition. I seriously hated all the stupid angle shots and the ignorant comments of many of the MMA people who barely had a clue who Bruce Lee was or the essence of JKD. I did enjoy hearing from Linda, Shannon and his former students.

The Dragon
I believe yes, other than the devoted father and husband which really was "bs" because he was usually looking for work, working, or chasing skirts....

I personally preferred the documentary section on the Enter the Dragon special edition.

I seriously hated all the stupid angle shots and the ignorant comments of many of the MMA people who barely had a clue who Bruce Lee was or the essence of JKD.

You found the words I couldn't get out on my keyboard!

masterofoneinchpunch

The DVD/BD came out a few weeks ago in R1 from Shout Factory! I finally got to see it lats night. While there are some contrarian views* it is still a basic talking heads hagiography. The extras were OK, but the rehashed quite a bit that was in the documentary. It aggravates me when I see that in extras.

It was also a bit too much of a UFC promo. I have no problem with it being mentioned but way too much input here for my tastes. Jon Jones comes off the worst in the documentary (karate :D) though he is a great fighter.

What do you think of Reginald Hudlin's discussion of the metaphor between the Way of the Dragon fight with Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris (Colt) of that of the third world versus the oppressors?

I thought a bit much was made of the Cantonese version of Fist of Fury since most saw the Mandarin version. Another question: was Bruce the most popular kid actor during the 50s? I've seen a few of those films but I haven't seen enough of 1950s Hong Kong movies in general and I have not read this in any book that I can remember.

* Mostly from Gene LeBell, but some from Ed O'Neill and Mickey Rourke who surprisingly came off well in the doc compared to some of the other interviewees, well maybe it should not be a surprise since both are actors and martial artists/fighters, they have a unique perspective that some of the more suspect participants did not have.

Reading through the thread I was surprised by a few comments not knowing who Gene LeBell was, kudos for CatNaps responses. Gene maybe a surly curmudgeon, but he is extremely knowledgeable on fighting and martial arts, though the Seagal story has so many variants (normal for anecdotal) that it makes me a little suspect of it.

Archived