"I Am Bruce Lee" documentary

mpm74

OpiumKungFuCracker
I`m thinking of putting this idea to the BL Estate, Its a new direction imo.

I call it BRUCE LEE LIVES .. ON MY STREET.

It involves me knocking on my neighbours doors and asking them what their opinion of Bruce is. intercut with a few clips from his movies, maybe a second or 2 of new footage ,if i can get hold of anything.(probably not).

Us BL fans will love this kind of S*** . Won`t we?

Dude that would be the ultimate fan tribute Doc ever!!! Can I join you!!!:tongue:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Below is the link for this Documentary on Bruce Lee its looks pretty good.

http://www.iambruceleemovie.com/

I had originally heard this documentary was being made for the Spike channel, if it's getting a theatrical release, even if it's a very limited one, someone must think this is pretty good. I hope they're right.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they just added my town to the showing list at 2 theaters. Anyone in/near Madison Wisconsin down to go??

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they just added my town to the showing list at 2 theaters. Anyone in/near Madison Wisconsin down to go??

Dude that would be the ultimate fan tribute Doc ever!!! Can I join you!!!:tongue:

No.. The ULTIMATE would be Bruce Lee Died In My Bed. Narrated by Betty Ting Pei, it follows her around HK recapping Lee's ill-fated visit to her home July 20, 1973: with FULL disclosures.

Please don't give this documentary attention. It's shit. If you give it attention, they'll make more of this rubbish style of film. Boycott it!

Killer Meteor

Aside from the earliest tabloid-esque nature of BRUCE LEE: THE MAN AND THE LEGEND (1973), and maybe the undercurrent of resentment present in CURSE OF THE DRAGON (1993), most Bruce docs fall back on playing it extremely safe, especially when there is a wealth of people who probably have incredibly frank tales to tell.

OT: the first Bruce documentary I saw was THE UNBEATABLE BRUCE LEE (UK title), which was made by Passport as BRUCE LEE: IMMORTAL DRAGON. I had to get this one because I was 14, and it was the only Bruce tape rated E rather than 18.

Now, this cheapo doc was made in 2000 but looks far older. It's scored with Holst extracts, and uses a load of cheapo film clips and trailers. The only interview is with Dianne McBain, who was the guest on the Batman/Green Hornet crossover, and it seems like she was interviewed for something else (they also have a bit of a James Coburn interview, but I think that was sourced from elsewhere).

At the end of the UK tape, they proceeded to list an entire list of errors the doc had made. Amongst them:

Bruce Lee's real name was Yuen Kam

Bob Wall was the Russian Boxer in FIST OF FURY

Bruce only shot 12min of footage for GAME OF DEATH

Bruce died whilst having a lie down part way through a meeting with Raymond Chow

etc, etc

Not bad for what the box claims to be the "Definitive" documentary.

The best part: the doc takes a length detour after Bruce's death to talk about other action stars, and I was utterly fascinated to discover that there were films like BRUCE LEE FIGHTS BACK FROM THE GRAVE and EXIT THE DRAGON, ENTER THE TIGER!

Overall it looks like a rehash of the series that was on Spike recently, (Which was nauseatingly repetitive.)

Well Spike TV is in the credits, so I'm sure it is. It also it says starring: Ed O'neil and Kobe Bryant. Wow cant wait to see what Ed Bundy and a baskeball player think about Bruce Lee. I think its all bullshit anyway. That tv show was horrible, everyone on it was lying. Dirt bikers and DJ's saying that their whole career is based on the inspiration of Bruce Lee, give me an f'ing break. This movie is more of the same.

It may not have anything new to offer, but tell me: Where else are you going to hear people like Ed O'Neill and Mickey Rourke talk about Bruce? lol

I'm seeing this on the big screen just for the clips. Never seen Bruce that big!

=D

Like others it's this for me. It may be the only chance I ever get to see Bruce on a big screen...now if I could just find someone to go with on Thursday :\

Just finished watching Spike's "I Am Bruce Lee". Now I have no particular beef with MMA (in fact from time to time I do watch things like UFC) but Spike TV has severely disappointed me by producing a long UFC infomercial and then masquerading it as a Bruce Lee documentary. Bah.

After a more level headed reflection the documentary wasn't that awful. Just a little more of the UFC stuff than I personally care for.

Just finished watching it, it was better, maybe classier, than I expected. For me it somehow managed to be considerably different & better than what seems like so many other Bruce Lee bios that we've seen over the years. One thing I appreciate about it is that it isn't all positive, not all fanboy idol worship, interviewees like Gene LeBell actually give their honest opinions about Bruce's fighting abilities, for instance, and about his being declared "the father of MMA". It also had genuinely touching moments, like seeing Bruce's friend Dan Inosanto tearing up even after all these years as he thinks about the loss of his friend.

As for previously unseen footage, it does include a few still photos I hadn't seen before, a little more (seconds, I mean) of the color Long Beach footage (makes me wonder how much of this exists), & also includes some very brief footage from Ahna Capri's ETD footage that hasn't been included in any of the previous documentaries (looked a little sharper to me picture wise than it does on youtube). There isn't enough of this rare footage to get excited about, I Am Bruce Lee is still mostly another "talking heads" documentary, but somehow a lot of what comes out of those talking heads actually seems to offer fresh perspectives. I f you're a Bruce Lee fan I'd recommend checking it out.

I think it was better than I expected as well. However, at times it felt like a long commercial for UFC disguised as a Bruce Lee documentary, especially during the inordinate amount of time they gave to discussing whether Bruce was the "father" of MMA. Otherwise, fairly good. And like you I was surprised to see footage and pictures that I had never seen before as well. That was definitely a plus for the documentary.

When is this out on DVD/BD? not fussed about the cinema screenings!! Not sure if it is out in the UK cinemas!!

I'd never really heard anything about the Manson killings being a major event in Bruce Lee's life before this documentary. It doesn't surprise me that they may have been, Bruce was a friend of Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring, & Roman Polanski, afterall, but I Am Bruce Lee didn't take the time to go into any detail about how Bruce & his family were affected. Seemed odd that they should single it out as something significant for Bruce in 1969 but actually say very little about any affect it did have for him.

I do recall reading in Polanski's autobiography that at one point Roman was actually suspicious of Bruce possibly being involved in the murders. Bruce mentioned to Polanski that he'd lost a pair of eye glasses, Polanski knew that a pair had been found at the crime scene, & the distraught director was so desperate for a lead, for some suspect to be found (the police, at first, apparently had no real leads to speak of), that he was looking everywhere, suspicious of anyone with even the remotest possible connection to the brutal murders. Of course, Polanski's suspicions of Bruce didn't last long.

I think it was better than I expected as well. However, at times it felt like a long commercial for UFC disguised as a Bruce Lee documentary, especially during the inordinate amount of time they gave to discussing whether Bruce was the "father" of MMA. Otherwise, fairly good. And like you I was surprised to see footage and pictures that I had never seen before as well. That was definitely a plus for the documentary.

I mean, I think it's kind of overdoing it to say Bruce was the father of MMA. People had been mixing martial arts at least since the late 1800s, people like Jigoro Kano, founder of judo, Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido, not to mention modern guys like Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, Gene LeBell & others. In Japan it was common for karate instructors to have also trained in judo, aikido, and/or kendo.

I suppose Bruce should get some credit for popularizing the idea of taking what works for you from various sources, & also for training with more modern methods, incorporating running, weight training, heavy bag work, focus mitts, etc. like fighters do today. Also, he condoned full-contact sparring at a time when non-contact and/or controlled contact were the norm.

I thought it was pretty good myself. But then again, when anything about Bruce comes out I'm all for it. I've done it transferred it over to dvd :bigsmile:

odioustrident

I only caught a little bit but it looked a lot like kids responding for the first time to some clip they saw on youtube.... I'm sure I'll enjoy the full product when I watch it down the road.

Isit me or do the clips from his films look outstanding quality????

Probably a minor thing, but I was irritated with the "let's film everybody from the side at every shot, then the front....you think?" :rolleyes:

Laura

OpiumKungFuCracker

Can I even purchase this on iTunes??? Can seemed to find a free streaming anywhere, not everyone has access to cable...

Archived