"I Am Bruce Lee" documentary

mpm74

I Am Bruce Lee is an upcoming documentary that examines the legendary actor and martial arts icon, Bruce Lee. Director Pete McCormack has assembled a vast array of individuals, from those who knew Bruce intimately to modern celebrities who have been influenced by him, to discuss the life and times of Bruce Lee.

More info and link to trailer!

=D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, those clips from the Bruce Lee movies seem a lot clearer than I've ever seen them. Maybe there's hope for better Blu-ray releases!

While its great to keep Lee's name in the limelight this looks like just another talking heads documentary which gets boring after a while. I doubt if there is any new or rare footage but we can only hope.

Heres the trailer

irSiTkRtfbg

OpiumKungFuCracker

I agree David,

Nothing new in the documentary dept but I will probably see this in Theater since it will be showing in my part of town...

Overall it looks like a rehash of the series that was on Spike recently, (Which was nauseatingly repetitive.) Bruce lived a sort life and didn't produce that much work unfortunately. About the only thing you could do that would be different would be to produce a documentary that also showed Bruce's dark side. But you would get sued into oblivion by the family.

The real crime in all of this is the deification of Bruce. He was a man, with his flaws and triumphs. But the events surrounding his death and flaws have been glossed over for so long that he's become the caricature.

Let me be clear. In this day and age, if your not in front of everyone shaking shiny things your forgotten about. So, from that view, any material keeping Bruce in peoples minds is a good thing. I just think the quality of the material is candy coated and not in depth. If it brings kids growing up into the fold of Kung fu love, I'm all for it. But for us lifelong fans, it's not going to tell us anything we probably don't know about him already.

Bag of shite. :neutral: Who cares what random celebrities think about Bruce?

Very disappointed with this.

It's not even slightly good, if this trailer is anything to go by.

And they expect people to pay for this?

Guest Yi-Long

This looks like crap TBH, and shouldn't even be released in theatres, but should just be on one of those celebrity channels.

I'd rather see a documentary focussing on his early life in Hong Kong and his years in the States before he got famous.

Just watching a bunch of people talking about how they love Bruce's movies, while having no connection with him...

.... it's just.... nothing.

And the only reason these people are there on camera talking about Bruce, is because they're celebrities, so somehow that holds value!?

Get the fuck out.

I wanna hear from former students, friends, classmates, martial artists, etc etc. And luckily, there are already a couple of interesting documentaries that provide that.

sifu iron perm
This looks like crap TBH, and shouldn't even be released in theatres, but should just be on one of those celebrity channels.

I'd rather see a documentary focussing on his early life in Hong Kong and his years in the States before he got famous.

Just watching a bunch of people talking about how they love Bruce's movies, while having no connection with him...

.... it's just.... nothing.

And the only reason these people are there on camera talking about Bruce, is because they're celebrities, so somehow that holds value!?

Get the fuck out.

I wanna hear from former students, friends, classmates, martial artists, etc etc. And luckily, there are already a couple of interesting documentaries that provide that.

the bruce lee estate is behind this which will help build up noise for the Bruce Lee centre in Seattle.

It's all about business and awareness.

It may not have anything new to offer, but tell me: Where else are you going to hear people like Ed O'Neill and Mickey Rourke talk about Bruce? lol

I'm seeing this on the big screen just for the clips. Never seen Bruce that big!

=D

OpiumKungFuCracker
It may not have anything new to offer, but tell me: Where else are you going to hear people like Ed O'Neill and Mickey Rourke talk about Bruce? lol

I'm seeing this on the big screen just for the clips. Never seen Bruce that big!

=D

Same here, wonder if they will release his movies on the big screen as well...

Shaolin Chamber 36

=D

This is very true MPM. If it indeed does come to the big screen, I will for sure be checking it out! My father told me that we saw Bruce Lee films when they first came out at the Drive-In's, but of course I was too young to recall.

"The Bruce Lee Lives!" series that just aired on Spike looks exactly like this. In fact, I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same production company. The problem with that series was, all 6 eps. were exactly the same! Everyone gushes about how perfect Bruce was, and after the 3rd guy says it, you get sick of hearing it.

I want to hear rare stories about people who knew Bruce and worked with him. But we all forget that Bruce was just starting his career. I believe that most of Bruce's best films were yet to come. That he died so early in his career everyone refers to the films he did make as absolute masterpieces.

I'm a huge Bruce fan, but he was a human being not a superhuman like all these fluff pieces make him out to be.

ShaOW!linDude

Personally, I feel like the Bruce Lee bio's and documentaries are overdone. There seems to be so many of them with new ones cropping up every 5 - 10 years. Without any new info or footage, how often does it really need to be rehashed?

You know what I'd like? Something along these lines about Brandon Lee. I'd love to hear tales or see outtake footage/blooper reels of the goings on during the productions of The Crow, Rapid Fire, & Showdown In Little Tokyo, and even Laser Mission or Legacy Of Rage or the Kung Fu tv movie he did with David Carradine.

Guest Yi-Long
Personally, I feel like the Bruce Lee bio's and documentaries are overdone. There seems to be so many of them with new ones cropping up every 5 - 10 years. Without any new info or footage, how often does it really need to be rehashed?

You know what I'd like? Something along these lines about Brandon Lee. I'd love to hear tales or see outtake footage/blooper reels of the goings on during the productions of The Crow, Rapid Fire, & Showdown In Little Tokyo, and even Laser Mission or Legacy Of Rage or the Kung Fu tv movie he did with David Carradine.

Brandon is nowhere near the legend Bruce was ofcourse. He seemed a charismatic actor who sadly died much too young, obviously, but does his story really warrant a documentary!? Personally, I doubt it.

ShaOW!linDude
Brandon is nowhere near the legend Bruce was ofcourse. He seemed a charismatic actor who sadly died much too young, obviously, but does his story really warrant a documentary!? Personally, I doubt it.

You're right. But I guess it depends on your interest and perspective. How many bio's (especially celebrities) or documentaries are done on people whose life story doesn't really warrant them? Tons.

To me, it's not so much that he was Bruce Lee's son or a legendary martial artist. He was a rising action film star whose life was cut short. That's why I'd be interested to learn more from those who worked with him (personal anecdotes) in the handful of films that he did or see some of the footage left on the cutting room floor.

But that's me. I'd like the same thing done for Phil Lynott.

ShaOW!linDude

I don't know who Harry Enfield is.

Phil Lynott was the bassist, singer, songwriter of the rock band THIN LIZZY. He ultimately died from the ravages of a long heroin addiction. (And, yeah, he looked a little like Hendrix. He was even approached at one point about starring in a film and portraying Jimi.)

I`m thinking of putting this idea to the BL Estate, Its a new direction imo.

I call it BRUCE LEE LIVES .. ON MY STREET.

It involves me knocking on my neighbours doors and asking them what their opinion of Bruce is. intercut with a few clips from his movies, maybe a second or 2 of new footage ,if i can get hold of anything.(probably not).

Us BL fans will love this kind of S*** . Won`t we?

Archived