The Seasonal Filmography

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

If anyone can spot any errors or omissions please post. Some titles have yet to have confirmed release dates. Some titles not found at the HKFA have been listed under copyright years where known.

Call Me Dragon

Kidnap in Rome

Anti-Corruption

The Secret Rivals

The Secret Rivals, Part 2

What Price?...Stardom

Erotic Dream of the Red Chamber

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Drunk Monkey in the Tiger's Eyes

Dance of the Drunk Mantis

The Butterfly Murders

We're Going to Eat You

Lackey and the Lady Tiger

The Ring of Death

Two Fists Against the Law

Without a Promised Land

The Sweet and Sour Cops

Legend of a Fighter

The Sweet and Sour Cops, Part 2

Ninja in the Dragon's Den

Gun is Law

Host For a Ghost

Two For the Road

The Unwritten Law

No Retreat, No Surrender

Raging Thunder

Mr. Mistress

Walk on Fire

Blood Brothers

All For the Winner

The King of the Kickboxers

American Shaolin

Dragon Inn

Green Snake

Superfights

Evening Liason

Bloodmoon

Deja Vu

Special Thanks to Falkor and Linn for their assistance. :)

We're Going to Eat You (c1980)

No Year:

American Shaolin = 1991

Blood Brothers = 1989

Bloodmoon = 1996

Call Me Dragon

Kidnap in Rome

Superfights = 1995

Unconfirmed:

The Invincible Armour (1977) = Lai Wah Film Company (independent)

Little Super Man (1975)

Hitman in the Hand of Buddha = Hwang Jang Lee Production Company (independent)

Guest Markgway

Raging Thunder = 1987

King of the Kickboxers = 1990

I know that's when the films were copyrighted, but according to the IMDB (yeah, I know!!) the US releases were 1989, 1991. I don't think they were shown theatrically in Asia despite being HK movies, which is why for the English language films I've used (or tried to) USA dates. In retrospect, I think you're right, we should list the films under copyright date if no HK theatrical date is available.

Guest Markgway

Falkor, you were nag on about WE'RE GOING TO EAT YOU and DEJA VU. I missed those the first time because the company listing was slightly altered. Thanks for the direction.

I checked upon THE HEAD HUNTER however, and the production company listed for that is New Century. Can I ask what made you think it was Seasonal?

I know that's when the films were copyrighted, but according to the IMDB (yeah, I know!!) the US releases were 1989, 1991. I don't think they were shown theatrically in Asia despite being HK movies, which is why for the English language films I've used (or tried to) USA dates. In retrospect, I think you're right, we should list the films under copyright date if no HK theatrical date is available.

This goes back to my discussion with Ralph Allen. Filmographies should reflect what year each films was "made", ie. completed, rather than what year each film was released (released where?)

Black Mask, a HK production, was released first in the UK!

I think it's accepted that the year films were "copyrighted" is also the year post production was completed, and when you compare this year to any Year of Release, the coprighted date is either the same or 1-2 years earlier to give a more accurate year. BTW, you've listed Raging Thunder a year earlier, even before the copyrighted year.

I checked upon THE HEAD HUNTER however, and the production company listed for that is New Century. Can I ask what made you think it was Seasonal?

HKMDB

Guest Markgway
This goes back to my discussion with Ralph Allen. Filmographies should reflect what year each films was "made", ie. completed, rather than what year each film was released (released where?) Black Mask, a HK production, was released first in the UK! I think it's accepted that the year films were "copyrighted" is also the year post production was completed, and when you compare this year to any Year of Release, the coprighted date is either the same or 1-2 years earlier to give a more accurate year.

For me I use copyright date first as it's ON THE FILM, then date of HK release; if a movie has neither it's only a calculated guess. I like to be accurate where possible. :)

BTW, you've listed Raging Thunder a year earlier, even before the copyrighted year.

Editing mistake. Thx for pointing it out.

Guest Markgway

"Confirmed, but no given year:

Call Me Dragon

Kidnap in Rome"

...still nothing on these??

John Charles at digHKmovies lists THE HEAD HUNTER as a Seasonal/New Century co-production. The HKFA makes no mention of Seasonal that I could see (might check again...) Does anyone have a poster with the Seasonal logo on it or something? Has anyone SEEN the film with a Seasonal logo...?

Also if Ng See Yuen founded Seasonal in 1973 how come later movies he was involved with like Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth for eg. are (or appear not be?) Seasonal films.

There's a magazine article for We're Going To Eat You in Cinemart's April issue from 1980, so I guess there's a very good chance it was completed that same year, backing up the HKMDB year you already have listed.

Guest Markgway

WGTEY is listed as being released April 2nd, 1980. So an April issue of Cinemart would be bang on! :D

You don't happen to have any mid-70s issues that cover Call Me Dragon or Kidnap in Rome do you?

You don't happen to have any mid-70s issues that cover Call Me Dragon or Kidnap in Rome do you?

No, otherwise I would have said something; you should know me better! I'm not one of those secretive US citizens, who keep everything to themselves. I wonder what hit the Pentagon on 9/11? It certainly wasn't a Boeing 757... :lol

"Also if Ng See Yuen founded Seasonal in 1973 how come later movies he was involved with like Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth for eg. are (or appear not be?) Seasonal films."

He did it and a few others as favors for debts he had.

Guest Markgway

OK, Linn. Thanks.

The HK film industry it seems is built on "favours". ;)

You don't happen to have dates for Call Me Dragon and/or Kidnap in Rome do you...?

I figure both were released circa 1974, but am not sure which is officially the first Seasonal Film?