vague description of a movie i hope someone can name please, thanks.

rays

i saw a movie on tv years ago and really liked and always wanted to see it again but cannot remember the name. i thought it had jackie chan but i have read every summary of his movies(that i can find on the web) and none match. it looks like 80s or 90s.

heres what i remember.

its somewhat comedic.

a man who is skilled in martial arts travels to los angeles(or there abouts, maybe san francisco or atleast a major u.s. city with a hispanic population)

he is looking for his master, he calls him sifu(but this is a kung fu forum so i shouldnt have to explain but i just did)

he ends up in a rough neighborhood and meets a girl who is kind of tough and wants to fight against a gang in her area that is oppressing the people there.

he teaches her kung fu and helps her.

he also meets 3 cholos(or cholo looking mexican american late teens early 20s boys who look kind of gangster) who are nice and he teaches them kung fu and they also help the girl but she is kind of reluctant to work with them, shes a loner type.

i remember it being funny because the cholos are kind of goofy and when the girl gets tough and says talks back or disrepects the man who is helping and training them they get in her face and say things like "hey hes the sifu" or "dont disrepect our sifu" and its all done a playful manner.

at the end he finds his sifu but learns that his sifu turned to a gang leader being overwhelmed buy the material wealth his mastery of kung fu could get him in the organized crime world of america.

the man defeats his own sifu and cleans up the neighborhood.

and thats what i remember.

thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Here are a few things that happen in Jet Li's THE MASTER that will help you know for sure if this is the film you're thinking of.

- When the gang kids are being trained, Jet uses a setup with volleyballs strung through with rope. The students get inside a little area surrounded by these. The balls are bounced at them so that they can learn to defend against attacks from all directions.

- The main bad guy is a white dude that wears an all white outfit and sports a blonde mullet-style haircut.

- At the climax there is a big fight on a skyscraper rooftop with Jet and his sifu (Yuen Wah, a skinny dude with a mustache) against the blonde guy's martial arts students (who are all dressed in black). During the battle the girl is being dangled from a rope over the buildings edge.

Does that help?

the volley ball thing on a rope sounds familar.

my memorys are so hazy it the part about the sifu being a criminal could be wrong.

i'll try to watch it somewhere, should be fun either way.

thanks a bunch

i'll let yall know how it turns out.

just watched some scenes on youtube

this is totally it.

funny how the mind plays tricks on you

thanks a bunch.

Archived