Can you name this kung fu movie?

Guest Scythe

Around 11 years ago I was in a store somewhere and there was a kung fu movie playing on a television screen. I only saw two scenes in the short time I was there.

There seemed to be a character named Dragon 9 (searched the name, didn't find anything), and he was sort of chubby. He was fighting 4 girls out in this beautiful garden and in a gazebo. He seemed to be a bit of a comedic character and seemed whimsical in his fighting style, like he was just enjoying himself. I think the girls were like guardians of a temple or something. They were wearing brightly colored clothing. And everyone was flying around using magical kung fu like in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Then the other scene was in the imperial palace and some guys were demonstrating secret weapons to the evil emperor and were blowing themselves up in the process. I remember seeing a guy describing the merits of a weapon while completely charred.

Someone in my family described it as a Safeway Select Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Safeway Select is family slang for low quality. It looked like it was made in the late 90's up to 2001, but I could be wrong. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I think it was trying to be funny so it wasn't necessarily an unintentionally low quality movie. Flying Dragon, Leaping Tiger seemed like a good lead, but the synopsis doesn't match up with what I saw and it came out one year too late. Sammo Hung also seemed like a good lead but I looked up his movies from the time period and none of them matched up either.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you might be talking about The Duel. I think it came out around 2001.The Dragon 9 character was played by Nick Cheung not a chubby guy though.

One Armed Boxer

I second 'The Duel' as well, this trailer should help jog your memory as to if it's the right movie you're looking for -

gYKyLc8OTe4

• Administrator

Back in the day, a theater in Philly started screening midnight shows of HK films (after a few years of nothing) and a friend and I gathered some people to "turn them on to the real good shit!". :nerd: But THE DUEL played. :tinysmile_angry2_t: Man, we all HATED this movie! After that, we couldn't get these guys to trust us to watch anything!One of my buddies keeps telling me to give it a second chance.

What did you guys think of it? Is it worth a second viewing?

What did you guys think of it? Is it worth a second viewing?

No. It's 90 minutes of your that you will never get back, 90 minutes that could be better spent watching something that you will actually enjoy. Or alternatively you could spend 90 minutes at the local dump, wading through other people's garbage: it'd be the same effect as watching The Duel again :bigsmile:.

• Administrator
No. It's 90 minutes of your that you will never get back, 90 minutes that could be better spent watching something that you will actually enjoy. Or alternatively you could spend 90 minutes at the local dump, wading through other people's garbage: it'd be the same effect as watching The Duel again :bigsmile:.

LOL :xd: Okay, that's what I thought! :wink:

I can always count on you to tell it like it REALLY IS when I ask you anything. I have so much new stuff to see still that I won't waste my time on this again. Thanks bro. :bigsmile:

masterofoneinchpunch
...What did you guys think of it? Is it worth a second viewing?

I think it depends on what you now feel about The Storm Riders and the later Zu Warriors. If you still hate both then probably avoid, though this film has more humor.

I don't think it is as bad as what kaleyboy says, but since there are plenty of better films out there I would save it more for throwaway times to watch, but it would be interesting to hear what you think of it again.

The movie is certainly divisive, just read the HKMDB reviews and you see a dichotomy of love and hate (tattooed on each hand; kudos if you get that reference).

And I will also state that the movie mentioned is most likely The Duel.

• Administrator
I think it depends on what you now feel about The Storm Riders and the later Zu Warriors. If you still hate both then probably avoid, though this film has more humor.

I don't think it is as bad as what kaleyboy says, but since there are plenty of better films out there I would save it more for throwaway times to watch, but it would be interesting to hear what you think of it again.

The movie is certainly divisive, just read the HKMDB reviews and you see a dichotomy of love and hate (tattooed on each hand; kudos if you get that reference).

And I will also state that the movie mentioned is most likely The Duel.

Actually I really enjoyed STORM RIDERS and ZU WARRIORS (The sequel, not the original- I know I'm in the minority on this one!), but I didn't feel anything but bored and annoyed while watching THE DUEL.

Your reference is from NIGHT OF THE HUNTER. Big Bob Mitchum! :nerd:

ShaOW!linDude

Your reference is from NIGHT OF THE HUNTER. Big Bob Mitchum!

I thought it was Cape Fear.

masterofoneinchpunch
I thought it was Cape Fear.

Night of the Hunter (one of the best one-time director only films :D)

If I had just said love and hate on the hands you could have included:

1.jpg

Will The Duel get any love or is the hand coming from the left? :D

Archived